• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

C4Lukins

I sort of wonder why Heat fans are excited about this. So as it looks now, if the big 3 come back, you have the same team as last year, but maybe you get an 8 million dollar 4th star, and a bunch of minimum guys to fill out the team.

The only way you get a Carmello is if Lebron is happy with his endorsements, and takes close to the minimum contract. Which for once would make him the good guy, but I do not see it happening. Adding a mid tier point guard is not going to do it for you.

zychi

Banned
Bulls going to be the bridesmaid again. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think much is going to change, Melo will stay in NY and the big three will stay in Miami

Bulls will land a player like Paul Pierce, over the hill but can still attract a dumb contract. Same thing that happened with Boozer. My friends all expect Melo to be a Bull, shit isn't happening.

I'm surprised Cuban hasn't re-signed Dirk yet. I'd love to see him play somewhere else.

I sort of wonder why Heat fans are excited about this. So as it looks now, if the big 3 come back, you have the same team as last year, but maybe you get an 8 million dollar 4th star, and a bunch of minimum guys to fill out the team.

The only way you get a Carmello is if Lebron is happy with his endorsements, and takes close to the minimum contract. Which for once would make him the good guy, but I do not see it happening. Adding a mid tier point guard is not going to do it for you.

Heat last year would have been favorites to beat anyone out of the West, save maybe the Clippers (and the Spurs obviously). How is that bad? Also, depending on the caliber of player, maybe a Lowry at PG? That room is a big deal.

Two Words

Bulls will land a player like Paul Pierce, over the hill but can still attract a dumb contract. Same thing that happened with Boozer. My friends all expect Melo to be a Bull, shit isn't happening.

I'm surprised Cuban hasn't re-signed Dirk yet. I'd love to see him play somewhere else.
It's likely that Dirk will resign after Dallas picks up other free agents since Dallas has Dirk's Bird Rights and Dirk is taking a paycut too.

PBY

Banned

Heat fan is acutely aware of all of these things.

That said- given the option between having the big 3, or not, I'm taking my chances w/ them. We woudldn't be favored going up against the west, but we'd have a legit shot to get to the finals. If Wade is somewhat right (just need efficient, decent minutes from him), Lebron is rested more, who knows what happens depending on who comes out of the west. We need to retool our defense, maybe go more traditional.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Bucks are sending two second-round picks to Nets to secure coaching rights to Jason Kidd

thats about what I figured. Fuck Jason Kidd.

lol @ giving draft picks for a guy with one mediocre year of coaching under his belt. Can't believe professional GMs and owners are swayed blinded by a name because that's all Kidd has going for him.

Fox318

lol @ giving draft picks for a guy with one mediocre year of coaching under his belt. Can't believe professional GMs and owners are swayed blinded by a name because that's all Kidd has going for him.

Same could be said of Fisher getting a head coaching gig.

Did everybody forget about Magic's coaching year?

Same could be said of Fisher getting a head coaching gig.

Did everybody forget about Magic's coaching year?

I agree. Same with Fisher and to be honest Mark Jackson, who I thought didn't to anything that special in Golden State. Even Kerr, who at least has some front office experience, I'd be wary of.

PBY

Banned
N9DO8Um.jpg

Posted? Kobe looking flabby as hell

Bowser

The Milwaukee Bucks have fired coach Larry Drew after agreeing to send two second-round draft picks to the Brooklyn Nets to secure the coaching rights to Jason Kidd, sources told ESPN.com on Monday.

Damn. Cold fucking blooded. Never communicated anything to Drew even after rumors leaked.

Hope Jabari and the Bucks stay floundering, franchise doesn't deserve anything for treating human beings like pieces of garbage.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How does the Bucks GM not start looking for a new job? Dude is so fucked.

Bucks really taking that whole sorry for Jabari thing seriously even after they drafted him.

In retrospect, the Greg Oden and Michael Beasley signings weren't completely worthless for Miami.

They helped LeBron score a nice handicap parking spot at the mall and a cheap dimebag, respectively.

Nice Raptors trade, got rid of Salmons for a role player and a prospect 2013 pick that we never had. Hawks can now have some cap room to go after Luol Deng.
If Masai can somehow move that Fields contract...one can hope

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
In retrospect, the Greg Oden and Michael Beasley signings weren't completely worthless for Miami.

They helped LeBron score a nice handicap parking spot at the mall and a cheap dimebag, respectively.

Lets be fair the whole team reaped those perks. LeBron just wanted to troll the league getting Oden a championship after he got Eddie Curry one.

Fjordson

Well they did make the finals. I think they'd rather have the main pieces of that roster back, as opposed to losing everyone. There was never going to be a complete and instant rebuild.

But Lebron isn't taking a small deal. Media has been pretty unanimous in saying that Lebron is looking for max money.

rando14

I agree. Same with Fisher and to be honest Mark Jackson, who I thought didn't to anything that special in Golden State. Even Kerr, who at least has some front office experience, I'd be wary of.

Am I missing something, where the hell did this trend come from? Giving monster deals to first time head coaches, sounds like the stupidest thing ever but there must be something I'm not seeing because there's no way successful billionaires can be this naive?

Bowser

“With the latest injury, I thought I was going to drop to like–I don't know–maybe top-15? Maybe second-round [laughs]? I mean, people, you know how people are like,” Embiid said on the Dan Patrick show on Friday. “The way they are just talking, everyone on social media, so I bought into that. I was also listening to my agent who told me good things, but I mean I thought was going to drop to the second-round. I was kind of surprised they took me at [number] three.”

cmonson.gif

Am I missing something, where the hell did this trend come from? Giving monster deals to first time head coaches, sounds like the stupidest thing ever but there must be something I'm not seeing because there's no way successful billionaires can be this naive?

The only thing I can think of is that the owners are largely incompetent and they get wow'd by big names and flashy headlines. That's also why they are doomed to mediocrity.

Fisher and Kerr deals are ridiculous, these two probably can't even draw up a proper play on a whiteboard.

Fjordson

Just the trend right now. And I have noticed all the guys who do it at least seem to be respected and get the players to respond to them according to media stories about their respective teams. That plus them being known names is maybe attractive to front offices.

And they've been successful recently, namely Mark Jackson and Kidd, even if the jury's still out on how good they truly are as coaches.

I'm still apprehensive about the Kerr hire, but he at least had winning years as the GM in Phoenix. Just hoping the wheels don't totally fall off next year.

Hiring these guys is one thing, worth a shot I suppose. It's the money that surprises me. Not sure why everyone's falling over themselves to pay new coaches so much recently.

Cloudy

Banned

Well they capped the amount of money players can make. How else will they spend money stupidly?

Siegcram

They have the cap space to sign TWO max guys right now. Kobe's contract is not an issue
The team is gutted and your best player is either a rookie or a 35-year old coming back from a devasting injury. Who is earning 25 mil/year for the next 2 years.

More like he's not the only issue.

They have the cap space to sign TWO max guys right now. Kobe's contract is not an issue

They would need to get rid of Nash's contract (doable) but even then they'd have space for one max guy at best. The Bron and Melo package talk is assuming both guys would take like $16 million a year.

The Kobe deal is absolutely a factor for the Lakers. I've pretty much come to terms that it is a "thank you" deal for past services and we won't be competing for the next 2 years. My only hope is that the front office secretly (as in they won't tell Kobe) sees it this way too and won't make any dumb moves to compete now by signing marginal guys to long term deals.

Branduil

"Hey Lebron/Melo, why don't both of you come to LA where you can be paid a fraction of Kobe's salary? Also, Kobe will think he's still better than you two, I mean he's getting paid more, so it's only fair. #YOLO"

Top Bottom