• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Squalor

The Kobe deal is crazy. The Lakers will always have money. These things are separate from each other.

In terms of on-court production right now, Kobe isn't worth what he's making right now.

Bowser

Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 1m
Per several sources, #Pacers will roll out the star treatment for Lance, & has even produced a movie in his honor to be shown after midnight

lol smh

B.O.O.M

Lance starring in Blowing in the Ind

in other news it looks like Mo is hoping to sign with us again....fk. Then again not too confident in our FO in landing anyone else that's useful.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
RE: rumbles Raptors already on verge of locking up Kyle Lowry ... all I can pass along is undeniable confidence from Raps about keeping him

Brac9c_CQAAZO1j.jpg

jwhit28

I feel like this off-season will be a BIG wake up call for the Lakers. Emptying the cupboards, and just trying to bring huge free agents into an empty house isn't going to work. Kobe is my favorite player ever but who wants to play on a team where 36 year old Kobe is the man at $25 million a year? No amount of history will make that look like a good idea.

PBY

Banned
I feel like this off-season will be a BIG wake up call for the Lakers. Emptying the cupboards, and just trying to bring huge free agents into an empty house isn't going to work. Kobe is my favorite player ever but who wants to play on a team where 36 year old Kobe is the man at $25 million a year? No amount of history will make that look like a good idea.

Realistically, the next two years should kind of be tank jobs/clear cap room/ kobe farewell tour.

Bowser

The problem for the Lakers is they can't really tank next season considering the Suns own their pick due to the Nash trade. It's top 5 protected, but you can't take the chance that it slides to 6 or 7 like this past season. If it does, they have nothing to show for an abysmal season. They're pretty much forced to spend. Smart move, as Simmons and Lowe pointed out on today's B.S. Report, is to try to entice some decent vets like Deng on two year overpay contracts to compete this season but retain cap flexibility.

The problem for the Lakers is they can't really tank next season considering the Suns own their pick due to the Nash trade. It's top 5 protected, but you can't take the chance that it slides to 6 or 7 like this past season. If it does, they have nothing to show for an abysmal season. They're pretty much forced to spend. Smart move, as Simmons and Lowe pointed out on today's B.S. Report, is to try to entice some decent vets like Deng on two year overpay contracts to compete this season but retain cap flexibility.

Yeah I like that plan. Basically try and do what the Mavs have been doing so that you have flexibility every season. Tell me Lance is turning down 2 years/$32 million? Or Pau 2 years/$22 million? Maybe even try to trade Nash's expiring to the Knicks for Calderon? You can field a competitive team (and by competitive, I still mean they likely miss the playoffs but at least they won't be a laughing stock and Kobe won't bitch too much) and keep flexibility open for the next two offseasons when guys like Love, durant and Westbrook are potentially free agents. I like that a lot more than trying to lock up guys like Lowry or Monroe to long term deals which just gives you a mediocre team for the next 4-5 years.

And until I heard the podcast I had no idea that the PHX pick is top 5 protected. That does at least give me some relief that if the season is a complete shit show we won't give up a top 5 selection.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 2m

Raptors plan to offer their free agent PG Kyle Lowry a contract starting at $14.5 million at 12:15 AM meeting in Toronto, Yahoo source said.

Wow....

MLSE has more than enough money, no worries

Contract may be front loaded

Pretty sure Jermaine Dafoe will still be the highest paid player out of the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC lol

Bowser

Received a scam text from someone posing as Raptors front office member.There is no offer on the table paying $14M.Apologize for the mistake

LOL FUCKING TROLLED.

Should have known it was false since it didn't come from Woj Da Gawd.

Doomsayer

Yeah I like that plan. Basically try and do what the Mavs have been doing so that you have flexibility every season. Tell me Lance is turning down 2 years/$32 million? Or Pau 2 years/$22 million? Maybe even try to trade Nash's expiring to the Knicks for Calderon? You can field a competitive team (and by competitive, I still mean they likely miss the playoffs but at least they won't be a laughing stock and Kobe won't bitch too much) and keep flexibility open for the next two offseasons when guys like Love, durant and Westbrook are potentially free agents. I like that a lot more than trying to lock up guys like Lowry or Monroe to long term deals which just gives you a mediocre team for the next 4-5 years.

And until I heard the podcast I had no idea that the PHX pick is top 5 protected. That does at least give me some relief that if the season is a complete shit show we won't give up a top 5 selection.

Isn't the pick top 3 protected only?

PBY

Banned
Received a scam text from someone posing as Raptors front office member.There is no offer on the table paying $14M.Apologize for the mistake

LOL FUCKING TROLLED.

BUCHER"D

If it's not coming from Woj, Michael Grange, Eric Smith or J Lew I will ignore it lol

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange 35s

Approach tweets re Raptors free agency with caution. I am told there is some clever scamming going on from phone w 414 area code.

LOL FUCKING TROLLED.

I would think this also happens to Broussard. The difference is that Spears can find out it was fraudulent and is willing to admit to it.

overcast

Seriously, who can the Heat pick up? What good bench players are FA's this year?

Same question for my Rockets I guess.

PBY

Banned
-@WojYahooNBA: Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey has traveled to Philadelphia to meet with free agent guard Kyle Lowry tonight, league source tells Yahoo.

Lowrys in Philly?!?

Top Bottom