• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Siegcram

I think a team would be smart to sign him to a shorter-term deal, something like 2 years or 3 years with an option.

For example, I wouldn't be mad at all if the Hornets offered him a 3-year, $36m deal with a player option. Similar to Big Al's deal (3-year, $41m with third-year option). Hornets would still have flexibility to re-sign McRoberts and add a backup PG this offseason and retain cap flexibility going forward as well.
Young players very rarely go for 2/3 year deals. Especially if they come with baggage that could prevent them from another big payday.

Bowser

Young players very rarely go for 2/3 year deals. Especially if they come with baggage that could prevent them from another big payday.

I think Lance is exactly the kind of guy who would take a 3-year deal, especially if it offers him nearly $4-5m more per season than locking in for 5. If you get nearly the same amount of money on a shorter deal and get to time your FA so that you end up back on the market after the new TV contract is negotiated, potentially greatly increasing the salary cap, there's not really too much of a downside. He'd be a 26, still in the prime of his career, and maybe he can rehabilitate some of his image and get a max level deal then.

Either way, I think Larry is fooling himself if he thinks he's going to lock up Lance long-term for Avery Bradley money. I think once the LBJ/Melo situations sort themselves out, you'll see some movement. I'd expect the Bulls to throw some of that cash earmarked for Melo Lance's way if Melo goes back to NYC.

Bowser

The Magic just threw $9 million dollars at Ben Gordon.

Ben. Gordon.

lololol

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 40s
Ben Gordon just basically checked out two straight seasons, team that values high character more than almost anyone forks over $9M. Weird.

I think that supposed "wonder boy" Magic GM has no fucking idea what he's doing

Bowser

Trade Aaron Afflalo for peanuts, draft two guys who can't shoot, throw $9m at Ben Gordon to jack 3s because, hey, someone's gotta put the ball in the basket.

I'm laughing my ass off over here.

PBY

Banned
Heat are relatively fucked. Our team can't sustain building around this FA market.

Big 3 + pocket change it looks like. We won't be able to get talent with our MLE.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think the C's overpaid.

I think they did as well but I don't think it's too bad of a deal especially given how young he is. I assumed he'd sign for something closer to $6 million per year.

They overpaid a little bit, but it's not the worst deal. He's young and moveable, and I'm just glad they got him rather than Hayward. He had an awful start last year, but finished strong, the problem is his inconsitency is entirely because of his health issues and I just don't see that getting any better. No way they keep Smart/Rondo/Bradley though.

edit- also in comparison to the other deals, the AB one is by far the best out there so far.

Bread

Banned
I love the possibility of a Bradley/Smart backcourt, the defense would be fucking amazing to watch. I kind of hope Rondo gets traded now, I love the dude but the way this team is shaping up I'm just not sure how they distribute minutes to Rondo, Bradley, Smart, Young, and Pressey. Let's get some value back for Rondo and go really young.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Trade Aaron Afflalo for peanuts, draft two guys who can't shoot, throw $9m at Ben Gordon to jack 3s because, hey, someone's gotta put the ball in the basket.

I'm laughing my ass off over here.

But he had that one year, in Chicago tho

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I love the possibility of a Bradley/Smart backcourt, the defense would be fucking amazing to watch. I kind of hope Rondo gets traded now, I love the dude but the way this team is shaping up I'm just not sure how they distribute minutes to Rondo, Bradley, Smart, Young, and Pressey. Let's get some value back for Rondo and go really young.

I've been begging for him to get traded for a while now. His perceived value is far higher than his actual value. AB and smart would be a ridiculous grouping defensively, and if smart could get that jump shot going could provide some good offense. They still need a lock down defender at center to pair with Sully though.

Bowser

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 14m
There are a lot of free agents excited about Ben Gordon's two-year, $9 million deal with ORL. Players think it'll help their contract talks.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 12m
Other free agents see that Ben Gordon signed for $4.5 million per season and think, "What am I worth then?" That raises the bar for others.

lol you know Larry ain't signing Lance for $8.8m per now. Lance is worth at least 3x as much as Ben Gordon. Thanks a lot Rob.

PBY

Banned
lol you know Larry ain't signing Lance for $8.8m per now. Lance is worth at least 3x as much as Ben Gordon. Thanks a lot Rob.

Ehhh you can't look at that deal exactly like that though. thats a floor deal, and the 2nd year isn't guaranteed. I guess perception can induce some $ though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think that supposed "wonder boy" Magic GM has no fucking idea what he's doing

Magic are a lot closer to being good than people think. They were a decent team the 2nd half of last season. Ben Gordon has played for some lousy organizations and teams the past 2 seasons and checked out of both.

They needed to sign guys to hit the cap floor (still will). Gordon is a great guy to sign at a salary specifically aimed to be traded for and the 2nd year is a team option.

Also hes got the same agent as Oladipo.

Siegcram

Magic are a lot closer to being good than people think. They were a decent team the 2nd half of last season. Ben Gordon has played for some lousy organizations and teams the past 2 seasons and checked out of both.

They needed to sign guys to hit the cap floor (still will). Gordon is a great guy to sign at a salary specifically aimed to be traded for and the 2nd year is a team option.

Good luck trading a 33 year old Ben Gordon for any value.

Not to mention Orlando is shaping up to be a treadmill team once again, so he'll chuck on without a care in the world.

Bowser

You don't need to tell me about Ben Gordon. We have had two separate head coaches who hated him. He was suspended by Dunlap and Clifford essentially all but suspended him for insubordination. Keep in mind last season Charlotte was a playoff team in desperate, dire need of shooting and they paid him to stay away.

This was a lousy signing, plain and simple. And who cares if he has the same agent as Oladipo. It's not like Oladipo has demonstrated he's a superstar in the making (yet) and will command a huge salary. He just finished his rookie year and will be on rookie salary another 3-4 years. He and Gordon sharing the same agent is inconsequential.

Orlando will finish last in the Southeast again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good luck trading a 33 year old Ben Gordon for any value.

Not to mention Orlando is shaping up to be a treadmill team once again, so he'll chuck on without a care in the world.

Then it doesnt work out? Its not the end of the world. It's a 1 year deal with a team option, they have to sign some guys anyway. I don't think its a good deal, it just really doesn't matter but has the potential to be a positive.

Bowser

Then it doesnt work out? Its not the end of the world. It's a 1 year deal with a team option, they have to sign some guys anyway. I don't think its a good deal, it just really doesn't matter but has the potential to be a positive.

And not to mention, Ben Gordon is the last name that comes to mind when you think about veteran leadership for a young team. That's something to consider as well. How will his gunning affect guys like Oladipo and Payton? If he doesn't get enough playing time and sulks and talks back to the coach (as he did in Detroit AND Charlotte), how will that affect the young guys?

If you're just going to throw salary around to meet the floor, at least sign some high character guys. Hell, keep Jameer on the team and trade him to a contender at the deadline. Throw $6-8m at Chauncey Billups to be a vet mentor or something.

Bowser

Jazz have already publicly said they will match any offer. They screwed themselves. Offered Hayward 4 years, $48m last year, Hayward wanted 4 years, $52m, they said no. Now they'll end up giving him an extra $10-11m because they didn't anticipate that a shooter with size would garner significant interest on the market.

Siegcram

That's not how you build a winning team.

"We have to sign some guys, eh, this aging chucker with attitude problems is available, why not? But we should overpay him to make sure, though."

Like Bowser said, if they wanted a shooter for above market value then just keep Nelson. He wasn't going anywhere.

Bread

Banned
im kind of agreeing with darkside here

they signed a guy to basically be an expiring, what's the problem with that? they needed to spend money and they did it without effecting where the team will be during the next offseason.

Squalor

Hey, little girl, Cleveland is preparing a max offer for Gordon Hayward. What say you?

url-21.gif

Koko

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski

Free agent CJ Miles has agreed to 4-year, $18M deal with Pacers, league source tells Yahoo. @CandaceDBuckner 1st reported an agreement.

Less money for Lance..

Beant

Sam Amico
‏@SamAmicoFSO
Talk around NBA is Heat plan on luring free agents other than own not coming together. Also told reported $$ on Bosh and Wade is incorrect.

WHATS HAPPENING?

Smokescreens everywhere

Bowser

Sam Amico
‏@SamAmicoFSO
Talk around NBA is Heat plan on luring free agents other than own not coming together. Also told reported $$ on Bosh and Wade is incorrect.

WHATS HAPPENING?

Smokescreens everywhere

lol no shit. Not gonna get guys to sign for peanuts when Ben Gordon and Jodie Meeks are getting $4.5m per and $6.3m per respectively.

Jonm1010

Banned
Jazz have already publicly said they will match any offer. They screwed themselves. Offered Hayward 4 years, $48m last year, Hayward wanted 4 years, $52m, they said no. Now they'll end up giving him an extra $10-11m because they didn't anticipate that a shooter with size would garner significant interest on the market.
Sounds exactly like the Eric Gordon story. My Pelicans lowballed in the prior offseason and Gordon wanted more. Went into FA and Phoenix offered a max for more then we initially offered and we matched. The rest is history.

Only difference this time is Hayward hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be an allstar and top at his position.

Anyways, have fun whoever gets the raw end of that one.

Top Bottom