• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

shira

Dude he is 28
Did he cliam 15? If he's got Wince's number he's going to flame out even sooner
jAgHv0WcfkApA.png

overcast

Lowry plays hard as hell too. Hits the floor a lot.

Though Carmelo is a great player, I'm still unsure how he would play with Howard/Harden. Two of our stars would be shooters all the way.

BS. They just don't want the other owners screaming "collusion". The minute Wade opted out was when this farce ended

Melo is a better player than ANYONE on your squad. Lin should know his role and be grateful he got paid so much

lol it doesn't matter if he is if he's a shitty fit, Harden and Dwight aren't going anywhere and how he fits into the team is what matters. I'd rather not put my rockets championship hopes on our mediocre coach being able to convince Melo to change his play style. Also, Lin does know his role from what I've seen and he doesn't have to be grateful for shit, he didn't make anyone give him money. They decided to pay him.

Jonm1010

Banned
lol it doesn't matter if he is if he's a shitty fit, Harden and Dwight aren't going anywhere and how he fits into the team is what matters. I'd rather not put my rockets championship hopes on our mediocre coach being able to convince Melo to change his play style. Also, Lin does know his role from what I've seen and he doesn't have to be grateful for shit, he didn't make anyone give him money. They decided to pay him.
Agreed 100%.

Melo on the rockets = lots of Harden and Melo fuckball and Howard getting pushed into the third option.

Forget about defense. Harden and Melo don't play that game.

Melo needs a place where his ISO asshole tendencies can be minimized and he will work into a cohesive and high functioning offensive system. Or somewhere like Chicago where the pieces around him and the coach will keep scores low and his brand of ball can be an asset.

Branduil

Melo on the Rockets would mean:

-a terrible coach
-no real PG
-no one who plays any defense at all except for their DPOY center, but it's not like he can cover up for 4 guys standing around

They would literally be Knicks West.

Blablurn

The Heat won't get shit during the Off-Season. And people really think Bosh deserves a 80-90m contract? Damn. I don't know man. He's good. But that good? Of course I would take it if I was him.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Of course they will, he maybe the only future cornerstone that they have, next year also clean book for their contract structure.

this might just be but idk... like he's nice, shit he is a finals MVP.... but is he really a piece you give a Max too? especially if you know the rebuild is 1-2 years away and your going to lose Duncan and Ginobli as well?

Then again I question the pacers giving Paul George a max contract too...

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The Heat won't get shit during the Off-Season. And people really think Bosh deserves a 80-90m contract? Damn. I don't know man. He's good. But that good? Of course I would take it if I was him.

Its not what you deserve, its what you can leverage. He is a skilled "big", and thats a rarity. Unless im missing something, he, Gortat, and Pau are/were the only above average bigs on the market.

Id bet there is a team willing to pay him the near max, atleast. So i cant see him taking that big of a paycut to stay with the heat.

fertygo

this might just be but idk... like he's nice, shit he is a finals MVP.... but is he really a piece you give a Max too? especially if you know the rebuild is 1-2 years away and your going to lose Duncan and Ginobli as well?

Then again I question the pacers giving Paul George a max contract too...

Yeah but shit, what the hell they should doing anyway.. Kwahi might be better than top 5 prospect in the draft next couple of year, you can't lose him for free..

Fjordson

Not about deserving, just about what you can get. Marcin Gortat is basically a back up center and just got 60 million over five years. Bosh can definitely get more than that (12 million per year). Not max or anything, but I could see somewhere around 80.

Do you think the spurs match?

was listening to Spurs' radio yesterday afternoon and the Spurs' beat reporter all but said that Kawahi will be getting max and that the Spurs' have been preparing for this eventuality, so it's not a concern. they might let him slip past the oct 31 deadline, but he'll be a RFA so they'll be able to just match anything.

Talon

Look, people. The moment Rashard Lewis got a max, you are no longer allowed to be surprised that anyone gets a max.

Squalor

Until LeBron has signed on the dotted line, this is how I will imagine Pat "I drafted Beasley over Love and Westbrook" Riley:

giphy.gif

Bowser

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 9m
Indiana Pacers, I'm told, have tried to engage Phoenix in trade talks for Goran Dragic, but teams have found no common deal ground. Yet

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 7m
Something to keep an eye on, though, with Indy known to covet an upgrade at PG and stubborn perception Suns can't afford Bledsoe AND Dragic

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 1m
Pacers have little on the fringes to entice Phoenix on Dragic.Their interest, per @ESPNSteinLine, might hint at bigger discussions.

Interesting.

fertygo

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 9m
Indiana Pacers, I'm told, have tried to engage Phoenix in trade talks for Goran Dragic, but teams have found no common deal ground. Yet

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 7m
Something to keep an eye on, though, with Indy known to covet an upgrade at PG and stubborn perception Suns can't afford Bledsoe AND Dragic

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 1m
Pacers have little on the fringes to entice Phoenix on Dragic.Their interest, per @ESPNSteinLine, might hint at bigger discussions.

Interesting.

Dayum I wonder if we gonna see Larry Legend's magic here

Bowser

Still laughing at the Ben Gordon deal. Kevin Pelton:

And even with a non-guaranteed second season, the reported two-year, $9 million deal the Orlando Magic gave Gordon is preposterous given that Gordon has rated better than replacement level just once in the past four seasons. Paying Gordon anything more than the minimum is basically lighting money on fire.

Bowser

The Kings just signed Darren Collison for the FULL MID-LEVEL.

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 13m
Free agent guard Darren Collison agrees to 3 year, $16 milion deal with Sacramento, sources, leaving the Clippers.

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4m
I don't really understand what the Kings are doing, but I'm excited to see the next twists and turns.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 3m
Kings never seemed sold on Isaiah Thomas. They brought in Aaron Brooks and Greivis Vasquez to potentially replace him. Now, Darren Collison.

smh

I like how everything that's wrong with NBA free agency now is the same as what was wrong with it before the last lockout. The Cavaliers are set to offer Gordon Hayward a max contract, starting at $15M/year. I hope that the next lockout actually generates a solution to the problem rather than simply kicking it down the road for someone else (the next commissioner, for example) to clean up.

I like how everything that's wrong with NBA free agency now is the same as what was wrong with it before the last lockout. The Cavaliers are set to offer Gordon Hayward a max contract, starting at $15M/year. I hope that the next lockout actually generates a solution to the problem rather than simply kicking it down the road for someone else (the next commissioner, for example) to clean up.

The problem is with the stupid caps that the owners claim are all about preserving competitiveness and parity when in reality are just excuses for them to keep more of the profits. The problem is not Gordon Hayward making $15 million a year. The money is there to pay him that. The problem is that's LeBron James is literally ten times better and more valuable than him but can only earn $5 million more. There are probably like 10-15 mlb players who will earn more than Bron per season and don't have a tenth of the impact on their team. Open up the free market. Let a team offer LeBron or Love or Durant $35-40 million a year.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

The problem is with the stupid caps that the owners claim are all about preserving competitiveness and parity when in reality are just excuses for them to keep more of the profits. The problem is not Gordon Hayward making $15 million a year. The money is there to pay him that. The problem is that's LeBron James is literally ten times better and more valuable than him but can only earn $5 million more. There are probably like 10-15 mlb players who will earn more than Bron per season and don't have a tenth of the impact on their team. Open up the free market. Let a team offer LeBron or Love or Durant $35-40 million a year.

Yeah Ninja hit the nail on the head as fans we're look at 15 mil in regards to the cap and think its too large, Team Owners look at it as money they have to spend anyway. Teams have to spend the one win players got was a salary floor of 90% mean that money has to go to somebody every year.

15 wasn't a max before the lockout, it was just a big contract. If this FA was before the last lockout every contract we're hearing about would be around 3 million more a year.

Koko

Banned
He's going to re-sign with the Knicks.

Oh I know, but it would have been fun to see him playing for the Bulls.

Marc Stein

You can see where this is headed. Knicks are surely hoping they get a verbal commitment from Melo to re-sign TONIGHT in their meeting in LA

Marc Stein

Pessimism among some of Melo's suitors, I'm told, is undoubtedly rising about having any hope of getting Melo away from Knicks

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Melo should apologize for wasting everybody elses time. Wants to pretend like hes about winning when hes going to stay with the Knicks who have a rookie headcoach and ??? as their 2nd best player. I guess its Jose Calderon.

It's okay guys; we can return to the status quo where Melo is selfish and wack and so on in the event he's a Knick again.

...which he probably will be, but whatever.

Top Bottom