• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Can you stop doing this please? His balls must be pruned from all the saliva you've provided them.

You mean your Celtics GM Danny Ainge and his continuous desire to trade for Kevin Love! T-Wolves already gifted you guys with a PF awhile back, I don't think they will make the same mistake again. Got lucky McHale is still green to the core.

Bread

Banned
You mean your Celtics GM Danny Ainge and his continuous desire to trade for Kevin Love! T-Wolves already gifted you guys with a PF awhile back, I don't think they will make the same mistake again. Got lucky McHale is still green to the core.
The fuck are you even talking about

Can you show me the last time I talked about how great Danny was?

Fair enough, as a Raps fan it just seems good to have a competent GM for once after the decade of irrelevance we have dealt with. At least Boston as a sports city has won multiple championships since to new millennium in different sports. Heck the Red Sox won with our manager.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Fair enough, as a Raps fan it just seems good to have a competent GM for once after the decade of irrelevance we have dealt with. At least Boston as a sports city has won multiple championships since to new millennium in different sports. Heck the Red Sox won with our manager.

youre jumping the gun though, wait and see how it plays out.

Sotha_Sil

Nerlens Noel looks stellar. Like he could be something special if he doesnt have exploding knees

Nerlens did great today, but I fear for his legs. He had two season ending injuries (one in high school, one in college). Now he'll be playing 82 games against the biggest, strongest, and fastest players in the world. I just don't seem him making it.

My team's (Orlando) picks struggled today. Aaron Gordon at least showed some strong defensive play, so that's encouraging. Elfrid Payton is going to need time to adjust to the new speed of the game. Time will tell if passing on Exum was a good idea.

BadAss2961

ESPN went from saying the Lakers are a longshot to suddenly being the favorites to land Melo and maybe LeBron too. lol

I'd actually like it if they both went there. I can see the implosion in the playoffs already, and the East would be wide the fuck open.

C4Lukins

ESPN went from saying the Lakers are a longshot to suddenly being the favorites to land Melo and maybe LeBron too. lol

I'd actually like it if they both went there. I can see the implosion in the playoffs already, and the East would be wide the fuck open.

I hope not, but it makes a lot of sense. More then Carmelo going to the Bulls or Lebron staying with the Heat. They have so much space they they can create a new team if they get multiple stars on board. And the people and media in LA are not going to bitch about front running while they are involved. That is half of the major sports media, a ton of tag along fans, and so much Hollywood that the detractors will be muted out. And the Heat will disappear into oblivion, because they are no better and a far less interesting franchise.

I am not sure Carmelo would like to be reduced to what Wade and Bosh were reduced to. Where they became the problem whenever the Heat stumbled. And the Lakers still need a top tier coach.

BadAss2961

I hope not, but it makes a lot of sense. More then Carmello going to the Bulls or Lebron staying with the Heat. They have so much space they they can create a new team if they get multiple stars on board. And the people and media in LA are not going to bitch about front running while they are involved. That is half of the major sports media, a ton of tag along fans, and so much Hollywood that the detractors will be muted out. And the Heat will disappear into oblivion, because they are no better and a far less interesting franchise.
It really makes no basketball sense though. The Bulls are built perfectly to contend with Melo.

Those Lakers would not only be unbalanced, they'd have to go through the West.

C4Lukins

It really makes no basketball sense though. The Bulls are built perfectly to contend with Melo.

Those Lakers would not only be unbalanced, they'd have to go through the West.

For me The Bulls comes down to Rose. That is a huge contract, and he has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. If you knew he was going to be ok, then yeah that would be the best bet. I think that is a huge gamble though for a max player signing a long term contract.

JCizzle

The next week really is going to be fucking fascinating, assuming the dominoes for the big names really start to fall into place.

Apath

For me The Bulls comes down to Rose. That is a huge contract, and he has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. If you knew he was going to be ok, then yeah that would be the best bet. I think that is a huge gamble though for a max player signing a long term contract.
Even without Rose, it makes sense for a top three offensive threat to come to a team with a huge offensive deficiency but a top three defense.

BadAss2961

With Melo, the Bulls probably still make it to the ECF without Rose. Rose would be needed to top Miami though if the big 3 are still around.

Imagine if Kobe hadn't taken all that money for nothing. Guy is pretty dumb, but that's good for us because god knows this league doesn't need more stacked teams.

shira

The next week really is going to be fucking fascinating, assuming the dominoes for the big names really start to fall into place.

n3oS35w.jpg

Jonm1010

Banned
Nerlens Noel looks stellar. Like he could be something special if he doesnt have exploding knees

Just watched his game. Guy looks legit. Which is everything I feared. Before the game I was browsing the Pelicans board and was expecting to see Noel playing like shit. Turns out that board is just in complete denial at how bad our Jrue trade may look.

Noel seemingly improved everything that was knocked on him. His strength looks markedly improved, he has made offensive strides, his dribbling and passing looked crisp and he can hit his FT's. The only knocks are his rebounds(and I think that is nothing to worry about), his turnovers and the recklessness he plays with which could lead to injuries. I think he has a legit chance to be a 12 point, 9 rebound, 2 block, 2 steal for his rookie season.

C4Lukins

With Melo, the Bulls probably still make it to the ECF without Rose. Rose would be needed to top Miami though if the big 3 are still around.

Just to be destroyed by a half dozen western teams. Carmelo is a component of a potentially great team. Rose is taking up 1/3 rd of the Bulls salary. That would be quite impressive if the Bulls could win a championship with that dude not being 100%

Just watched his game. Guy looks legit. Which is everything I feared. Before the game I was browsing the Pelicans board and was expecting to see Noel playing like shit. Turns out that board is just in complete denial at how bad our Jrue trade may look.

Noel seemingly improved everything that was knocked on him. His strength looks markedly improved, he has made offensive strides, his dribbling and passing looked crisp and he can hit his FT's. The only knocks are his rebounds(and I think that is nothing to worry about), his turnovers and the recklessness he plays with which could lead to injuries. I think he has a legit chance to be a 12 point, 9 rebound, 2 block, 2 steal for his rookie season.

Ian Clark looked good in summer league too.

Give it a few games.

BadAss2961

Just to be destroyed by a half dozen western teams. Carmelo is a component of a potentially great team. Rose is taking up 1/3 rd of the Bulls salary. That would be quite impressive if the Bulls could win a championship with that dude not being 100%
What team is that?

Also, nobody's destroying a healthy Bulls team with Rose and Melo.

effzee

People act like those 2 should just be grateful to play with LeBron.

No one acted this way. Bosh himself had said he would take less to stay in Miami because he likes the team and city.

And no one expected Wade to opt out but since he did people reasonably assume it was to help Miami with the cap.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Damn nerlens looked good today... Not like it was against serious talent, but physically and athletically. If he could stay healthy and when they get embid back.... Philly will have twin towers that can handle the rock. That's scary

Damn nerlens looked good today... Not like it was against serious talent, but physically and athletically. If he could stay healthy and when they get embid back.... Philly will have twin towers that can handle the rock. That's scary
Rockets are looking to trade Lin to Philly. Don't be surprised if they send Embiid and Noel to Houston. Dwight needs a backup

Fjordson

I think you guys will be really pleased with Noel. I saw every single minute of his time at Kentucky and the kid was seriously incredible. One of the best players Calipari has had at UK. He just goes a bit under the radar because his team was crappy and then he was out because of the injury. Which I should add was a bit of a freak thing and not really symptom of his body or fitness in my opinion. Only reason his knee bent back the way it did was because he ran right into the weird ass foundation/pad things that Florida has under its baskets. Wasn't on the landing of his jump or anything weird like that.

He's was a defensive beast at UK. Everyone knows how good he is at blocking shots (was on pace for more blocks than Anthony Davis) but I remember he was also on pace to easily break Rajon Rondo's all-time record at Kentucky for most steals in a season. He was like number 6 in the country in steals. As a 6-11 center. Just crazy. He plays passing lanes incredibly well and it seemed like every time a player he was guarding in the post started to relax Noel would come around one side and strip the ball. And he averaged under 3 fouls a game so he was doing it cleanly.

iamblades

I think you guys will be really pleased with Noel. I saw every single minute of his time at Kentucky and the kid was seriously incredible. One of the best players Calipari has had at UK. He just goes a bit under the radar because his team was crappy and then he was out because of the injury. Which I should add was a bit of a freak thing and not really symptom of his body or fitness in my opinion. Only reason his knee bent back the way it did was because he ran right into the weird ass foundation/pad things that Florida has under its baskets. Wasn't on the landing of his jump or anything weird like that.

He's was a defensive beast at UK. Everyone knows how good he is at blocking shots (was on pace for more blocks than Anthony Davis) but I remember he was also on pace to easily break Rajon Rondo's all-time record at Kentucky for most steals in a season. He was like number 6 in the country in steals. As a 6-11 center. Just crazy. He plays passing lanes incredibly well and it seemed like every time a player he was guarding in the post started to relax Noel would come around one side and strip the ball. And he averaged under 3 fouls a game so he was doing it cleanly.

^^

Noel was better than Davis defensively in college, as hard as that is to believe. He has much more lateral quickness and more ability to guard smaller players, and he has some of the quickest hands I've ever seen. When Davis guards someone on the perimeter, he gives them space and relies on his length to react and challenge the shot late, it's why he blocks so many jump shots. Noel will pressure the ball on the perimeter and turn you over though, which is an insane skill for a big to have.

As far as actually game production goes, the only thing Noel did substantially worse than Davis was FT shooting.

Davis's jump shot mechanics were more pure so you could see him developing offensive a little faster, but neither of them actually took many jumpshots in college, so it's hard to judge.

If Noel can improve his FT shooting to 70% and his 15 foot jumper to a at least 40%, there is no doubt in my mind he will be a perennial all star if he doesn't have injury issues. As good as he is defensively and as well as he moves with and without the ball, he doesn't need to be a great shooter, he just needs to be good enough where they can't just pack the paint and leave him open or intentionally foul him every time he touches the ball.

He was clearly the best prospect in the draft and it's absurd that he dropped as far as he did. Especially when you look at what the people picked ahead of him did.

jbug617

Banned
According to the Woj, Ainge is still working on bringing Love to Boston. Baxter Holmes says Ainge is willing to trade future picks to bring in the players Minnesota wants.

Squalor

Pretty much all Love rumors and rumblings have died in wake of the impasse with the Warriors and the Anthony-James news.

Exokell

Banned
According to the Woj, Ainge is still working on bringing Love to Boston. Baxter Holmes says Ainge is willing to trade future picks to bring in the players Minnesota wants.
They need to trade rondo. If this is masai, he would've done it a yrs ago.

Man Golden State missing their opportunity to get Love. Should have dealt Klay.

Guess the Warriors will have to do without the Great Love. He's so good he really should stay in Minnesota and make them a championship franchise.

He'd be happier in Houston anyway.

Do these trades that are openly talked about for at least a month ever come to fruition?

I have no idea where these rumours come from lol

Dan Gilbert
‏@cavsdan

“. @LullOnSports:Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is currently en route to south Florida.” I am? Sorry folks but enjoying weather in my backyard today

Fjordson

Do these trades that are openly talked about for at least a month ever come to fruition?
I remember on ESPN a week ago Windhorst and another guy I forget the name of were saying they thought the Warriors and Minny would eventually get a deal in August or September. That both sides wanted to get something done and were willing to wait it out for a while since the draft had passed and eliminated deals from other teams related to the draft.

But I haven't seen any new stories about it since then, kinda feel like our chance is passing by.

the longer it takes the more likely Minny is to just keep Love I think. Remember the guy pulling the strings, Flip Saunders, is also the coach so he's gonna start feeling pressure to keep Love, try and squeek out a playoff appearance rather than go through a miserable season of coaching a 25 win team.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
the longer it takes the more likely Minny is to just keep Love I think. Remember the guy pulling the strings, Flip Saunders, is also the coach so he's gonna start feeling pressure to keep Love, try and squeek out a playoff appearance rather than go through a miserable season of coaching a 25 win team.

So they would get nothing for him and then he'd walk?

Seems like a Wolves move.

Top Bottom