• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

jbug617

Banned
SAS also said he doesn't think Anthony will pass up the money from the Knicks but Miami would make him think hard about it.

NO ONE LEAVING MIAMI

But ESPN once again having people eat out if their palms thinking so for ratings. Would be hilarious if wade opted out only for bron and bosh to leave but he's not stupid

effzee

NO ONE LEAVING MIAMI

But ESPN once again having people eat out if their palms thinking so for ratings. Would be hilarious if wade opted out only for bron and bosh to leave but he's not stupid

Yes all these different analysts all work for espn. And all this interest and intrigue by all fans is manufactured by espn.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yes all these different analysts all work for espn. And all this interest and intrigue by all fans is manufactured by espn.

On the low I think they are doing this to avoid the allegation of collusion to take less for the Heat to add pieces.

The problem is Riley was suppose to add good pieces and all the good ones are mostly gone.

Its not all Riley's fault though I feel like the whole league is expecting the cap to go up a lot in the next two seasons so GMs are willing to pay more (and give out the ubiquitous 3 year deal) with the belief that in Hindsight these deals will look ok based on what the market is projected to be (and will be very movable regardless).

So considering that whoever the Heat bring in will be taking money from the wallets of their team mates literally. Riley can't just overpay somebody with the justification that in 2 years this deal will look decent possibly good based on the speculated market price. Even with all that cap room the Heat have to be frugal on how the spend.

More on PJ

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...otte-hornets-involved-altercation-pickup-game

Charlotte Hornets first-round pick P.J. Hairston was involved in an altercation during a pickup game at a local YMCA on Sunday in which a high school player alleges he was sucker-punched by the former North Carolina standout.

"We were playing open gym and I was running up the court and he hit me in the forehead with his fist," said Northern Durham High rising senior Kentrell Barkley, who is being recruited by numerous mid-major college programs. "I walked up to him and asked him what happened and then he hit me again in the neck."

Hairston's agent, Juan Morrow, confirmed to ESPN that his client, selected 26th overall in last month's NBA draft, did throw a punch at the 6-foot-5, 195-pound Barkley. However, Morrow said it was in retaliation.

"The pickup game got heated, the kid swung at P.J. and P.J. swung back," Morrow said.

The Durham Police Department said they had no information about the incident when contacted Sunday night, and it's unclear if police were called.

Barkley said he did nothing to antagonize Hairston, who has a recent history of off-court issues while at North Carolina.

"Kentrell's team had beaten P.J. a few times and they were winning again," said Vince Phillips, a friend of Barkley's who played at Southern Durham High and just finished his freshman year at Coastal Carolina University on an academic scholarship. "P.J. was talking to him, then he got the ball, looked up the court and dribbled to Kentrell full-speed, threw his fist and then went and scored. Then he hit him again."

"I'm a lifelong UNC fan and I played against P.J. in high school," Phillips added. "I've always rooted for him -- even with all the stuff that happened last year. But after this, I don't think I could look him in the face."

Phillips said there was a previous incident with another player on the court.

"It's not like it was just one guy," Phillips said. "P.J. was looking for problems."

Barkley said that after he was hit the second time, several people broke up the altercation as the pair stood face-to-face. Barkley said that Hairston and a friend left prior to the arrival of the local police. Barkley, 17, filed a police report and told ESPN that he intends to press charges against Hairston despite not sustaining any injuries. Barkley said he had never met Hairston prior to the incident, although he was aware of who he was from his career at North Carolina.

Morrow told ESPN.com that Hairston has spoken to Hornets general manager Rick Cho and coach Steve Clifford about the situation, which occurred at approximately 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday night. Morrow said that he expects Hairston to join the team tomorrow in Charlotte for practice before accompanying the team to Las Vegas for summer league later this week.

"P.J. did not go out and beat up a little kid like some people want to make it out to be," Morrow said.

The Hornets released a statement on Sunday night, saying: "The organization is aware of an incident this afternoon involving P.J. Hairston. We are in the process of gathering additional information and will have no further comment at this time.

"They are aware of the situation," Morrow said. Barkley, who said he is taking accelerated honors classes at N.C. Central, told ESPN that his story would be confirmed when a video taken by the YMCA is released.

This is the latest issue for Hairston, who was forced to play for the Texas Legends in the NBA Development League last season after being suspended by North Carolina following an NCAA investigation into his use of rental vehicles tied to former felon and party promoter Haydn "Fats" Thomas.

Hairston did not play a single game for the Tar Heels last season and North Carolina opted not to seek reinstatement for the standout guard.

Authorities cited Hairston in May and June 2013 while he was driving vehicles linked to Thomas, the second time leading to a later-dismissed charge for misdemeanor marijuana possession.

dream

Pressing charges because you got punched out in a pickup game is some weak shit. PJ should have made it count.

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...rmelo-love-scrimmage-ucla-20140706-story.html

As the Lakers eagerly wait for Carmelo Anthony to decide with whom he'll sign for next season, Kobe Bryant and Anthony apparently worked out together on Sunday at UCLA. Bryant and Anthony would be teammates next season if the All-Star forward chooses the Lakers over the New York Knicks and other suitors. According to the Twitter feed of David Grace, Bruins assistant men's basketball coach, "Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Love here at UCLA playing pick up!!! That's what happens here at UCLA!!!"

https://twitter.com/TheBasslineNBA/status/485899539887685632

#Lakers Kobe Bryant spotted in pick up game with Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love at UCLA. Kobe looking like he bought new legs.

dbp8v7.gif

I get that. I'm just not sure if it's worth getting the reputation of being a snitch who can't fight, especially if he's going to play college ball.

We'll see if there's actual video and what it shows.

But Hairston has to know better. He's a grown man with a checkered past as it is. It's like what Bowser said earlier, dude has no business being at a YMCA right now anyway. He should be in Charlotte working out and getting ready for summer league in Vegas next week.

zychi

Banned
Players and teams could begin negotiating just past midnight EDT on Tuesday morning, though contracts can't be signed until July 10, after next season's salary cap has been set.

ESPN seems to forget this on everything they say.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I get that. I'm just not sure if it's worth getting the reputation of being a snitch who can't fight, especially if he's going to play college ball.

Man trust me he'll be OK when that check comes in.

Hairston fucked up and if he learns to avoid future fuckery from this he'll be the lucky one.

I'm sure a heavily recruited kid who's styling on NBA lottery picks at 17 isn't worried about his street cred, lol. Hairston's an idiot and is going to pay the idiot tax if the video is as damning as the witnesses claim.

Squalor

Kobra making one last final appeal to Melo before deadline. In some alternate universe, Lakers get both LBJ and Melo, but I'll settle for one or the other at this point. :3
Already posted, and Woj said Kevin Love was not playing basketball at UCLA.

Ephemeris

So 1 day shy of the 4 year anniversary of the decision, the Cavs finally remove Dan Gilbert's Comic Sans scribed letter from the website.

According to sources
[reddit, I'm just being cheeky]
it was up just yesterday.

Is it going down GAF?

IS IT?

In more PJ Hairston news, Josh Gordon (Cleveland Browns WR) was driving Hairston's car when he was busted for a DWI this weekend and his bond was paid by "Fats" Thomas, the same dude involved in Hairston's troubles that led to him being ruled ineligible at Carolina.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nfl-s-...on-s-car-at-time-of-saturday-arrest/13791003/

Rich Cho and Michael Jordan are on the phone with Miami right now asking for them to return Napier.

spyder_ur

In more PJ Hairston news, Josh Gordon (Cleveland Browns WR) was driving Hairston's car when he was busted for a DWI this weekend and his bond was paid by "Fats" Thomas, the same dude involved in Hairston's troubles that led to him being ruled ineligible at Carolina.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nfl-s-...on-s-car-at-time-of-saturday-arrest/13791003/

Rich Cho and Michael Jordan are on the phone with Miami right now asking for them to return Napier.

That's nuts. Possibly premature, but it's crazy to think how many possible millions of dollars in future earnings disappeared between those two in North Carolina this weekend. Pretty sad.

Bowser

Meh. The car stuff doesn't matter. He's not in college anymore.

TuXx

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m
RT @WindhorstESPN: LeBron James planning face-to- face meeting with Pat Riley in next few days, sources tell ESPN. USA Today first reported

The fact that Lebron won't sit down with any other team but the Heat should tell you he ain't going anywhere. All this was just a show to scare Pat Riley.

Bowser

The fact that Lebron won't sit down with any other team but the Heat should tell you he ain't going anywhere. All this was just a show to scare Pat Riley.

Yeah, def think this is all much ado about nothing. LBJ to Heat on 2-year max, Bosh and Wade back to Heat, Melo back to NYC on max deal.

Cheddahz

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 41s
Chris Bosh wants to play with LeBron James in Miami, but conversations between his camp and Houston ongoing today, sources tell Yahoo.

Sounds like Bosh will only return if Lebron returns

We don't know that given that report. All we know is that Le'Bron is meeting with Riley first as a courtesy. That doesn't preclude him from meeting other teams afterwards. Which he will.

TuXx

Bosh is outta here. Bosh wants max dollars and Heat would rather have cap space than to resign him. It's best if both parties went their separate ways.

Cheddahz

Banned
..and looks like Josh McRoberts is in major talks with the Heat
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8m
Charlotte's Josh McRoberts emerging as serious free agent candidate for Miami, sources tell Yahoo. Realistic option at mid-level exception.

Cheddahz

Banned
Boo. Hope McBob resigns with the Hornets, he was really good last year for us.

Last season, you were able to ask Josh McRoberts questions on Facebook (and he would answer a few of them in a video) and for some odd reason, they picked my question, which was "Your hair is amazing, what kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use?" (I was bored at work and didn't really think it was going to be asked) and yeah, he ended up answering

Back onto basketball though, the few games I went to last year, he played quite well for us and I would like him back on the team (even if it's just for one or two seasons)

That pick next year is top 10 protected so we should tank like we've never tanked before but like I said the fucking shitty East would probably have us barely squek into the 8th seed

Top Bottom