• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Bowser

there were only 66 games that season cause of the lockout

Ah, you're right, forgot about that. My bad, I'll show myself out :(

Still think it's a little inane to be giving a 31 year old role player $32m over 4 years, but hey, guess ORL's gotta hit that salary floor.

If Pau Gasol accepts the Spurs MLE and truly is about the ring and not one last payday the rest of the nba might as well call it quits, the spurs are easy favorites to win it again next year as is

they were this close to some huge injuries derailing them though

despite the minute restriction Parker almost had another terrible hamstring issue that he narrowly avoided, manu was probably playing on a stress injury in the finals, and mills has 7 months of rehab ahead of him for a torn rotator cuff

they still should be favored but they are going to need the depth

Clevinger

despite the minute restriction Parker almost had another terrible hamstring issue that he narrowly avoided, manu was probably playing on a stress injury in the finals, and mills has 7 months of rehab ahead of him for a torn rotator cuff

And they play in the West, where a healthy OKC is still a huge threat to them.

Squalor

Every team is "this close" to derailment because of "huge injuries."

Pimpwerx

If Pau Gasol accepts the Spurs MLE and truly is about the ring and not one last payday the rest of the nba might as well call it quits, the spurs are easy favorites to win it again next year as is
If he takes the Spurs' mle offer and not ours, then I'll be pretty sore about that. Especially when we could use his size more than them. PEACE.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gasol to the Spurs would be a great move for both.

Gasol's passing skills in that Spurs system?

qwTHvYx.png

If the Heat break up it is crazy just to think how wide open would the east be next year. Teams like the Wizards and the Raptors would have realistic shots at making the finals only to be crushed by a western conference team but, they would still make the finals.

If the Heat break up it is crazy just to think how wide open would the east be next year. Teams like the Wizards and the Raptors would have realistic shots at making the finals only to be crushed by a western conference team but, they would still make the finals.
Nahh it just means that fuckball Indy will be shark food for whoever makes it out West

Nahh it just means that fuckball Indy will be shark food for whoever makes it out West

Indy does not even have Lance Stephenson under contract so they are not guaranteed to win the east. If Lebron Bolts and so does Bosh who's to say the Heat do not take a run at Lance Stephenson. The Heat breaking up has major consequences for the east especially because if Lebron and Bosh do leave that leaves a lot of open cap space for the Heat.

Yup... Will be interesting if they somehow getting new PG (Rondo?) though.

I always said that Rondo, on either the Pacers or Thunder, would be instant finals appearance with a good chance to win it all. You can't tell me Rondo running the point in OKC, moving YNB over to the 2 wouldn't be damn near illegal once the chemistry was built. Same for the Pacers; they need a true starting point.

I picked a great time to get into basketball apparently.

Anyway I have a few questions if anyone's willing to school me. I need the WHY here so give me some details please.

First if Melo stays how long until the Knicks become a viable team? Like at least makes it to the second round of the playoffs?

How realistic is a Melo equipped Lakers getting Kevin Love?

Who is most likely to get Love? Can the Rockets get him if they have Bosh at 88 mil?

Could the Lakers afford Bryant, Melo, Love, and Pau? Would Pau stay if he has such a significant pay cut to make space? I know the Lakers have cap but they still have to pay Kobe...

If the Cavs get LBJ who else do they get? Kyrie and LBJ isn't really enough for a real run at a ring right? Even with Wiggins.

Why is Chris Bosh not instantly accepting the rockets offer? Wouldn't he be securing a spot on a great team for years AND be getting paid a lot more money? Is one more year with the Heat worth it?

Are the bulls essentially dead in the water? Looks like no Melo so far so how do they get a ring anytime soon without additional offensive power?

Oh yeah and finally how long is a rebuilding phase going to take for the Nets?

Sotha_Sil

Frye maybe overpaid like 2 mil but that its, the length of contract is a bit much tho, I probably gonna give him 3 year and maybe team option for one more.

That's seems to be the general consensus in Orlando. We do have a need for a stretch 4. Some people are starting to fall off the Hennigan bandwagon, but they have to realize that Otis Smith essentially tanked this team to the best of his ability, and Dwight finished us off. Hennigan started day one with a bunch of crap contracts and players, and didn't even get a lotto pick his first season.

I'm good with Hennigan's defensive-minded drafting (Oladipo, O'Quinn, Payton, and Gordon). We somehow won the Dwightmare trade with Vucevic being a decent center and Harkless occasionally a serviceable SF. JJ for Tobias Harris turned out pretty well. I question getting peanuts in return for Afflalo and the length of Frye's contract, but that might have been the best we could do.

Are the bulls essentially dead in the water? Looks like no Melo so far so how do they get a ring anytime soon without additional offensive power?

We might be. The Bulls have basically struck out on all big name free agents since MJ left. Amnestying Boozer, getting a 80% Rose and adding McDermott and Mirotic to a 49-win team in the East could get them up to 58 or 59 wins in the regular season but I'm not seeing them go far in the playoffs.

Fjordson

I picked a great time to get into basketball apparently.

Anyway I have a few questions if anyone's willing to school me. I need the WHY here so give me some details please.

First if Melo stays how long until the Knicks become a viable team? Like at least makes it to the second round of the playoffs?

How realistic is a Melo equipped Lakers getting Kevin Love?

Who is most likely to get Love? Can the Rockets get him if they have Bosh at 88 mil?

Could the Lakers afford Bryant, Melo, Love, and Pau? Would Pau stay if he has such a significant pay cut to make space? I know the Lakers have cap but they still have to pay Kobe...

If the Cavs get LBJ who else do they get? Kyrie and LBJ isn't really enough for a real run at a ring right? Even with Wiggins.

Why is Chris Bosh not instantly accepting the rockets offer? Wouldn't he be securing a spot on a great team for years AND be getting paid a lot more money? Is one more year with the Heat worth it?

Oh yeah and finally how long is a rebuilding phase going to take for the Nets?
1) I'd say 2015-2016 season is best case scenario for the Knicks going a few rounds into the playoffs. And that's like absolute best case scenario. Lots of top notch free agents next summer so Phil could land someone and sign complimentary pieces. Otherwise, I'd say 2-3 years at least.

2) Tough to say. If Love gets traded to somewhere he likes in the next few months (like Golden State) people have said he will sign an extension there. So he'll never really spend much time on the market thus minimizing anyone's chances of getting him as a free agent. But I think if Minnesota tries to hold the fort and keep Love this year and he leaves then I could easily see LA + Melo getting him.

3) Still some media guys saying Golden State. That both sides are willing to continue working on a deal into the fall. But that could change at any time. Danny Ainge in Boston also apparently working hard to make something happen. It really depends on how he leaves. Golden State and Boston would be through some sort of trade this year. If Minny keeps him and then he walks next summer it could be anywhere. Not sure about Rockets situation if they had Bosh for that money.

4) I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to financial stuff, someone else on here smarter than me will have to answer this one.

5) It's a good question. I mean this next year or two you take Miami over what Cleveland has, but after that? Kyrie is already more valuable than Wade and pretty close to Bosh and a teenage Wiggins who has a ceiling somewhere up in space with his potential could look more attractive than Wade as a cripple and Bosh camping for corner 3's. And you have to remember that the East is bad. Real bad. But to be honest, I don't think Lebron leaves Miami in the end. At least not this year.

6) This is a little puzzling to me as well, but it seems like he wants to stay put. I mean think about this: if Miami's big three comes back and Lebron gets the max deal he is demanding, then in the end Bosh and Wade will have taken paycuts as assists for Lebron to make more money. And the team won't be significantly better than last year. I know Bosh really enjoys playing in Miami and living there and I guess he just really really really loves playing with Lebron.

7) Not sure about dead in the water. The east is garbage so it's not like they're going to miss the playoffs, but they'll have to make some kind of move to contend I think. Still quite a few months before the trade deadline, though, so a lot can happen between now and then.

Blablurn

Because ... ?

the guys they bought are not really that great. lebron might stay but he cannot the team for another year.

wades knee is about to fall apart and bosh... i dont know. he is bosh.

i guess lebron will stay for 1 or 2 more years but im not too optimistic about this season.

especially with wades knee.

i dont mind if he comes back and makes me eat a crow though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

McBuckets! Feel like Thibs is the only guy on the planet who believes in the kid. Bulls fans certainly don't.

Also they kinda need Derrick Rose to actually stay healthy.

And actually sign and bring over Mirotic. Theres still other guys out there - Gasol is still really good, they could bring back Deng. Bulls should say fuck it and go after Lance. Never ever going to happen though.

Swaggy P

Siegcram

the guys they bought are not really that great. lebron might stay but he cannot the team for another year.

wades knee is about to fall apart and bosh... i dont know. he is bosh.

i guess lebron will stay for 1 or 2 more years but im not too optimistic about this season.

especially with wades knee.

i dont mind if he comes back and makes me eat a crow though.
Well, this is a whole lotta nothing.
Maybe let them finish building a team first before judging their future seasons.

Bowser

z0b9wpR.gif

Idk if we're gonna lose bosh. But if we were, rebounding melo wouldn't be that bad.

Ken Berger details the math that makes this a pipedream: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24610979/trying-to-get-melo-math-to-add-up-in-miami

So let's say Wade signs a four-year deal starting at $14.4 million; that's a four-year, $64.1 million deal, which seems reasonable for a 32-year-old player on the decline. (Easy for me to say. I'm not Wade or his agent.)

In a perfect world -- a pre-2011 lockout world -- the Heat would then use their cap exceptions to formally bring aboard Josh McRoberts ($5.3 million) and Danny Granger ($2.1 million), then fill out the roster with minimums. Not so fast.

Under the current rules, once the Heat became a "room" team (i.e., created cap space with Bosh's departure), they would lose the ability to sign McRoberts with the full mid-level exception. Thus, LeBron, Melo, McRoberts and all the other salaries and cap holds previously mentioned -- including Wade -- would have to fit under the cap. So between James, Anthony and Wade, they'd have to come up with $5.3 million more in paycuts. Adios, Nuevo Tres Grande.

Who is your big?

Heat need defense not scoring.
I know heat needs a big but who is there left to be signed should CB leave? You can only get those who are available in the market. And it's the east.

noooo :( .

and Wade at 4/$64mil.. Welp.

Judging by LBJ's horrible steak cooking preference, I would say he's a well drinker
Well done steak with ketchup lmao.

EDIT: Another good Zach Lowe article. The Miami Heat and the NBA’s Double Standard of ‘Sacrifice’.

Blablurn

Well no shit, aren't you a Heat fan?

LeBron fan. I think I could be a bigger supporter of the NBA but since I'm from Europe watching games is a lil tough. I started following the Heat when the whole LeBron thing blew up in 2010. From then I followed the Heat.

slabrock

Banned
That's a good article by Lowe. Owners got it to look like the players are greedy for taking the max. Owners don't want to make the sacrifice.

effzee

Wait what just heard about a rumor that sends Amare to Philly? WTF NO! I like the dude but his contract and health for this team? And possibly picking up Lin? For what?

Bread

Banned
LeBron fan. I think I could be a bigger supporter of the NBA but since I'm from Europe watching games is a lil tough. I started following the Heat when the whole LeBron thing blew up in 2010. From then I followed the Heat.
...ew
Wait what just heard about a rumor that sends A mare to Philly? WTF NO! I like the dude but his contract and health for this team? And possibly picking up Lin? For what?
dat treadmill

Pimpwerx

I'll never understand why Wade and Haslem opted out.

They getting paid under the table?
They'll reup longer and get their money over more years. It usually works out where they get more money than they would have. Less early, but get overpaid later. It's so they can still be on s competitive team. Making money and losing isn't all that fun. Haslem will be part of the organization when he retires. He's just a Heat guy through and through. Nothing underhanded, just respect for all he's given. Tim and So treatment, basically. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Wait what just heard about a rumor that sends Amare to Philly? WTF NO! I like the dude but his contract and health for this team? And possibly picking up Lin? For what?
I thought Philly was planning on tanking next year anyway. Wasn't that the opinion during the draft? PEACE.

Top Bottom