• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

HiResDes

I think in terms of what's best for basketball, this is the scenario that I'd like to see, but is highly unlikely

Melo to LA
Lebron to the Cavs
Chris B to Houston
Paul Gasol to Chicago

You bolster both the East and West a bit by spreading out talent and making for even more legitimate contenders on both sides.

Sanjuro

Give up nothing to aquire more assets. As a side not I never believed the Celtics had a shot to get Love, and still don't especially if LeBron goes to Cleveland.

I need to figure out how the exception works, but it looks like we just kept cap space clogged for another year.

I think in terms of what's best for basketball, this is the scenario that I'd like to see, but is highly unlikely

Melo to LA
Lebron to the Cavs
Chris B to Houston
Paul Gasol to Chicago

You bolster both the East and West a bit by spreading out talent and making for even more legitimate contenders on both sides.

Melo to LA does not bolster anything LOL.

Everything else makes sense.

Melo to Chicago makes more sense then Gasol.

As a knick fan I want melo to stay in NY

Two Words

Sources: Carmelo Anthony was seen leaving a Dollar Theater showing of the movie "Escape from New York". Sources say he enjoyed the movie.

TheFatOne

I need to figure out how the exception works, but it looks like we just kept cap space clogged for another year.

Yea that's what I'm also trying to figure out. If you figure it out please post the answer. I'm reading other boards to see if anyone else has.

Sanjuro

We got a first round pick and a young center for an expiring contract and a second round pick.

Unless that expiring exception for Pierce works like a coupon, we basically moved up a few spots in the draft, an underperforming center, and possibly took on a ton of more cap space.

TheFatOne

Unless that expiring exception for Pierce works like a coupon, we basically moved up a few spots in the draft, an underperforming center, and possibly took on a ton of more cap space.
Celtics are going to have like 33 mil in cap space next season so I wouldn't worry about the cap space.

It's cap space for one year so that's not a big deal at all. Zeller may be underperforming but he's only played for two years and has been improving. As for moving up a few spots in the draft, a first is a first and having more of them is never a bad thing. I really don't see a downside to this trade.

Sanjuro

It's cap space for one year so that's not a big deal at all. Zeller may be underperforming but he's only played for two years and has been improving. As for moving up a few spots in the draft, a first is a first and having more of them is never a bad thing. I really don't see a downside to this trade.

I don't think it's a bad trade at all. It's just not one that improves this team at all.

Should be noted I haven't had faith in Danny for a very long time now.

Bread

Banned
Would you rather have cap space (that really shouldn't be used in the 2nd year of rebuilding) or another 1st, a young big who isn't a stiff, and a quality bench player on an expiring?

I don't think it's a bad trade at all. It's just not one that improves this team at all.

It improves us right away by giving us a real center who's better than anyone we have on the team now and it gives the C's more trade chips for a potential trade.

TheFatOne

Not much the Celtics can really do other than a Love trade that would improve the team greatly. Might as well keep collecting assets, and hope to flip them or pick good players. I've always been of the mind that this will be a long rebuild. Short term this doesn't improve the team, but this is more of a long term move anyway. Get assets without giving anything up.
It improves us right away by giving us a real center who's better than anyone we have on the team now and it gives the C's more trade chips for a potential trade.

This is true, but the improvement will be minimal. The first round pick is excellent.

Sanjuro

Would you rather have cap space (that really shouldn't be used in the 2nd year of rebuilding) or another 1st, a young big who isn't a stiff, and a quality bench player on an expiring?

If it means we need to eat the entire $8-10 million he is owed, no. If the exemption eats into that contract keeping it off the books, then sure.

The "real center" is dead. Healthy portion of teams are revolving around aggressive and mobile players who can fluctuate between the PF/C position. It would have helped us when real centers existed, but instead the best we got was Travis Knight.

Bread

Banned
If it means we need to eat the entire $8-10 million he is owed, no. If the exemption eats into that contract keeping it off the books, then sure.

The "real center" is dead. Healthy portion of teams are revolving around aggressive and mobile players who can fluctuate between the PF/C position. It would have helped us when real centers existed, but instead the best we got was Travis Knight.
Either way, eating the money or not, how could this trade possibly be seen as bad? It's not effecting our chances at getting anyone significant because we aren't FA players this summer.

And BS to the bolded, I'd kill for Marc Gasol, even in this new small ball era. A team with a good center can do a whole lot of damage to a small ball team. See Big Al destroying the Heat this past April.

Not much the Celtics can really do other than a Love trade that would improve the team greatly. Might as well keep collecting assets, and hope to flip them or pick good players. I've always been of the mind that this will be a long rebuild. Short term this doesn't improve the team, but this is more of a long term move anyway. Get assets without giving anything up.

This is true, but the improvement will be minimal. The first round pick is excellent.

I agree, Zeller isn't going to make this team good but he could be a decent backup once this rebuild is done or at least closer to being done. Or he could go as part of a package for Love.

Sanjuro

Either way, eating the money or not, how could this trade possibly be seen as bad? It's not effecting our chances at getting anyone significant because we aren't FA players this summer.

And BS to the bolded, I'd kill for Marc Gasol, even in this new small ball era. A team with a good center can do a whole lot of damage to a small ball team. See Big Al destroying the Heat this past April.

Jefferson is not a true center by any means. He is pretty much exactly what I described.

TheFatOne

We wouldn't be able to flip these new assets for Love anytime soon, so that ship has sailed unless there is another way to bring him aboard.

I never believed the Celtics were going to get him. Just saying he is there only option for a big improvement. I agree with you that ship has sailed. Might as well continue to collect assets, and hope to flip these assets for another guy down the road. No real downside to the trade. Give up nothing collect future assets, and hope for the best.

Bowser

Jefferson is not a true center by any means. He is pretty much exactly what I described.

Uh, Big Al is much more of a true center than a PF/C hybrid. He operates on the low block and sometimes will shoot a 12-14 ft jumpshot to keep the defense honest, but he's not a Bosh-type guy by any means.

Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 8m
I spoke to a player who is close to LeBron... He laughed at the notion that Heat's recent moves would impress LeBron.... (1/2)

Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 7m
... (2/2) That player's belief is Miami would have been better off holding cap space to sell LeBron on prospect of something bigger.

McBob left for nothing!

Tom Penny

To me regardless of what anyone else does if Pau goes to OKC they are the favorites to me. Move Reggie Jackson to PG, YNB at SG, Durant Ibaka Pau. They will eat up teams.

Sanjuro

Uh, Big Al is much more of a true center than a PF/C hybrid. He operates on the low block and sometimes will shoot a 12-14 ft jumpshot to keep the defense honest, but he's not a Bosh-type guy by any means.

I'm not comparing him directly to Bosh, but he is quite more versatile than some of the immobile centers.

Furyous

So Bron has to choose between the ghost of Danny Granger and McBob vs Kyrie, Wiggins, Tristan, and Dion. He's not going back to Cleveland and we all know this. Going to four straight NBA finals should keep him in Miami.

The biggest takeaway from this NBA offseason is a big three might not be possible but a big two is workable. The Rockets can do it but how many other teams can convince three superstars to come together?

HiResDes

So Bron has to choose between the ghost of Danny Granger and McBob vs Kyrie, Wiggins, Tristan, and Dion. He's not going back to Cleveland and we all know this. Going to four straight NBA finals should keep him in Miami.

The biggest takeaway from this NBA offseason is a big three might not be possible but a big two is workable. The Rockets can do it but how many other teams can convince three superstars to come together?

Speak for yourself, The Heat ain't lookin so hot anymore, and I think it's about 50/50 at this point.

There's a big chance he goes back to Cleveland.

ThisOne

Hayward getting a 4 year $63 million dollar from the Hornets is insane. The Jazz will probably match. Either way, a team is going to overpay him. As a Jazz fan, I'd love to see Hayward return but it's tough to swallow for that amount after he had a somewhat dissapointing year.

Bowser

Hayward getting a 4 year $63 million dollar from the Hornets is insane. The Jazz will probably match. Either way, a team is going to overpay him. As a Jazz fan, I'd love to see Hayward return but it's tough to swallow for that amount after he had a somewhat dissapointing year.

Utah's at fault as Lowe said:

The Jazz have indicated they will match any offer sheet for Hayward, and if they do, it will mark something of a lost bet for them. Utah and Hayward could not agree on an extension before last Halloween’s deadline, with ESPN.com’s Marc Stein reporting the Jazz’s offer topped out around four years and $48 million — and that Utah wasn’t willing to go above $50 million. It’s unclear exactly what Hayward’s crew demanded, but Stein and others reported it was something short of the max. That means the Jazz might cough up an extra $15 million over the life of Hayward’s deal.

Scan the last half-decade’s worth of early extensions for guys coming off their rookie contracts, and the trend line suggests that an extension has been a better bet for the incumbent team than allowing the player to reach free agency. That will be the case here.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/gordon-hayward-free-agency-and-the-nbas-middle-class/

ThisOne

It's one of those things where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we re-sign him, we're overpaying. If we don't re-sign him, we'll have a worse team than we had last year.

Top Bottom