• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Furyous

If he had to do it over, would Wade still want LeBron to the Heat in 2010?

The biggest loser in this whole deal has been Wade IMO. Yeah he has 2 more rings but he'll never get much credit for them. Also, his legacy as an individual player has been severely diminished the past 4 years. All that for LeBron to bail when things start to get hard? Now if they struggle, Bron will get even more credit for the past lol

Bosh, Wade and more depth would have probably resulted in a ring or two anyway with Wade getting at least a regular season MVP and Finals MVP.

Knowing what we know now, was this really worth it for Wade?

DWade doesn't reach four straight NBA finals without Lebron. We're not sure DWade lasts four years playing at a high level for a large number of minutes it takes to reach the NBA finals as the first option.

In other words, GO THANK KING JAMES DWAYNE WADE.

Would DWade opt out if he new Lebron would return to Cleveland? NO. He gave up a $40 mill retirement fund for the team.

Enough about that Miami team.

WE SIGNED MIKE MILLER! Where is Jesus when you need him? Seriously, his agent needs to get on the phone and come ring chase in Cleveland.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
People are underestimating a Gasol/Noah combo, i'm looking forward to seeing the Bulls this year.

Nobody is underestimating, we all wanted that combo 7 years ago! Pax wouldn't give up Deng for Gasol.

If Mirotic signs, I think our centers/PF will have more assists than our back court.

jwhit28

I like the way the East has shaken out.

Wizards lost Ariza
Knicks retained Melo
Cavs regained Lebron
Pacers hopefully lose Lance (to Hornets pls)
Nets hopefully lose Pierce
Bulls gain Pau and D-Rose
Hawks gain Horford
Heat retain Bosh

It's more balanced (the Central is once again a bloodbath), but I think it left Charlotte with a good chance in the Southeast.

Pimpwerx

Anyone watching SL. I just turned to this Toronto game. How have Bruno and BeBe looked?

How has Pau Gasol matched up with Bosh in previous meetings?
Bosh has had good success fronting him in the post, so my memory of Pau versus Bosh has been Pau taking a lot of midrange jumpers. Defensively, I'd expect Joakim to guard Bosh since Thibs isn't crazy. PEACE.

Wizards lost Ariza
Knicks retained Melo
Cavs regained Lebron
Hawks gain Horford
Heat retain Bosh

It's more balanced (the Central is once again a bloodbath), but I think it left Charlotte with a good chance in the Southeast.

Wizards retain Gortat.

Bowser

Wizards lost Ariza
Knicks retained Melo
Cavs regained Lebron
Hawks gain Horford
Heat retain Bosh

If we don't make any moves, we're probably 3rd at best in the Southeast behind Miami and Atlanta IMO. We lost McRoberts, a key cog and to a division rival, and have only added two rookies who probably will need some time and seasoning before they'll contribute (Vonleh especially). Need to lock down Marvin Williams. I would also throw some cash Lance Stephenson's way honestly. Surprised he hasn't gotten a better offer than the Pacers' deal, even with his mental instability.

jwhit28

If we don't make any moves, we're probably 3rd at best in the Southeast behind Miami and Atlanta IMO. We lost McRoberts, a key cog and to a division rival, and have only added two rookies who probably will need some time and seasoning before they'll contribute (Vonleh especially). Need to lock down Marvin Williams. I would also throw some cash Lance Stephenson's way honestly. Surprised he hasn't gotten a better offer than the Pacers' deal, even with his mental instability.

It feels like the Hornets and Lance are the last 2 dance partners left standing there. Lance is a headcase but he put up better numbers and is younger than both Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward. I would bring him in for the same type of sweetheart visit as Gordon Hayward and offer him 3 years $42 million. If he signs it and lives up to his potential in Charlotte, great. If he doesn't then his contract is up 1 year after Big Al's. You let them both walk and start over again.

dabig2

Nobody is underestimating, we all wanted that combo 7 years ago! Pax wouldn't give up Deng for Gasol.

If Mirotic signs, I think our centers/PF will have more assists than our back court.

Yeah, Noah/Gasol backed up by Taj and Mirotic (?) is a damn fine front court. Lots of assists, rebounds, and defense to go around.

Bulls still need an offensive wing lest Rose loses his knees again carrying the offense before the All-Star break.

Bowser

It feels like the Hornets and Lance are the last 2 dance partners left standing there. Lance is a headcase but he put up better numbers and is younger than both Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward. I would bring him in for the same type of sweetheart visit as Gordon Hayward and offer him 3 years $42 million. If he signs it and lives up to his potential in Charlotte, great. If he doesn't then his contract is up 1 year after Big Al's. You let them both walk and start over again.

Considering he's only getting 5/$44 from the Pacers, I wouldn't go THAT high. But I'd be happy to throw 3/$36 at him and sign Marvin.

PG: Kemba/Neal/vet PG
SG: Lance/Hendo/PJ
SF: MKG/Taylor
PF: Marvin/Tolliver/Vonleh
C: Big Al/Zeller/Biyombo

That team competes for the division title.

Cheddahz

Banned
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 50s
Marvin Williams agrees to two-year, $14 million deal with Hornets, source tells Yahoo. Fully guaranteed, no option.
This was just retweeted by Adrian Wojnarowski

Bowser

This was just retweeted by Adrian Wojnarowski

$7m per is a bit rich for me. Would have preferred to grab him for the MLE. Although I suppose we retain some cap flexibility for 2016 to try to lure YNB or Durant thru Jordan (lol). I think that leaves us about $12m or so in cap space.

Cheddahz

Banned
$7m per is a bit rich for me. Would have preferred to grab him for the MLE. Although I suppose we retain some cap flexibility for 2016 to try to lure YNB or Durant thru Jordan (lol). I think that leaves us about $12m or so in cap space.

Yeah, I think $7 million is a little too much for him as well (speaking of, why is he worth that much? I haven't really kept track of him ever since he underperformed as a #2 pick)

Bowser

Yeah, I think $7 million is a little too much for him as well (speaking of, why is he worth that much? I haven't really kept track of him ever since he underperformed as a #2 pick)

Seems to be what the market is dictating for swingmen/stretch 4s.

Bowser

Hmm, if Lance is truly a target that only leaves the MLE for a veteran PG.

We're tied to Hinrich and Brian Roberts. I wouldn't use the the MLE on either. Also sounds like we're not interested in Lance:

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell 9m
I tweeted this a while back and it still holds true: Hornets aren't showing signs they want Stephenson.

Cheddahz

Banned
Seems to be what the market is dictating for swingmen/stretch 4s.

True, just the last time I heard about Marvin Williams was from the Atlanta Hawks FB page and it basically said "Yeah Utah, you can keep Marvin for as long as you want" (this is when they made the Devin Harris trade)

Rockets need to match Parsons offer. Simple as that. I can't believe they got rid of Lin and Asik to overpay Ariza.

Wizards lost Ariza
Knicks retained Melo
Cavs regained Lebron
Hawks gain Horford
Heat retain Bosh

So disrespectful to the Toronto Raptors, who won the Atlantic Division. You gonna mention the Knicks and Nets and not mention Raptors. Come on son.

Raptors retain Lowry, Vasquez, PP, and lost Novak, Salmons for the purpose of dumping salary
Added James Johnson, Lou Williams

Raptors kept the core of their team and got better.

jwhit28

Rockets need to match Parsons offer. Simple as that. I can't believe they got rid of Lin and Asik to overpay Ariza.

So disrespectful to the Toronto Raptors, who won the Atlantic Division. You gonna mention the Knicks and Nets and not mention Raptors. Come on son.

Raptors retain Lowry, Vasquez, PP, and lost Novak, Salmons for the purpose of dumping salary

No disrespect meant. I expect Toronto to roll the Atlantic and end up 3rd of 4th seed again. Especially with Drake coaching again

la-et-ms-drake-disgusted-by-rolling-stone-inte-001-thumbnail

Cheddahz

Banned
From everyone's favorite NBA reporter

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 36s
Miami's pursuing free agent Luol Deng with an offer near $10 million per season, on a short deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Furyous

https://twitter.com/MikeCairns5/status/488104572632563712

Cavs working three team deal w/ Warriors/TWolves. Warriors get multiple 1st rnd picks. Wolves get Klay and Tristan Thompson. Love to Cavs

---

I'm going to put this El Jimador on ice and am ready to celebrate again. Am I crazy for wanting to give up Dion rather than Tristan? I''d rather give up Dion and keep the a first round pick but if that's all it takes to get KLove then fuckit.

This is the best offseason in recent memory. It's like an NBA 2K offseason where you make crazy trades and your team looks like an all-star team by opening night.

I just hope the Cavs make the playoffs at this point. Bron signed a two year deal anticipating another pay day in 2016. This places us in win now mode which is okay for now.

Bowser

Cavs working three team deal w/ Warriors/TWolves. Warriors get multiple 1st rnd picks. Wolves get Klay and Tristan Thompson. Love to Cavs

---

I'm going to put this El Jimador on ice and am ready to celebrate again. Am I crazy for wanting to give up Dion rather than Tristan? I''d rather give up Dion and keep the a first round pick but if that's all it takes to get KLove then fuckit.

This is the best offseason in recent memory. It's like an NBA 2K offseason where you make crazy trades and your team looks like an all-star team by opening night.

I just hope the Cavs make the playoffs at this point. Bron signed a two year deal anticipating another pay day in 2016. This places us in win now mode which is okay for now.

lol why would the Warriors do that deal?

PBY

Banned

---

I just hope the Cavs make the playoffs at this point. Bron signed a two year deal anticipating another pay day in 2016. This places us in win now mode which is okay for now

The fuck at the bolded

Put Lebron on a team with bums and the Cavs still make the playoffs in the east. With Irving and possibly Love on the way, they will be the favorite in the east.

lol why would the Warriors do that deal?

Considering the rest of their FO decisions this year I wouldn't even be remotely surprised if they did

e: though no fucking way are Tristan Thompson and a bunch of firsts the only pieces Cleveland would be giving up there (just because it won't be cap-legal otherwise)

MPW

i was surprised lowry stayed with raps

overall, good offseason for raps

only thing missing is return of Vince Carter to end his career where it all started

only thing missing is return of Vince Carter to end his career where it all started

Yes, Raptors did good. Raps can trade for Vince when he can't contribute at a decent level anymore. No way he can do what he does for 3 more years anyway. On another note, I hope people are watching or keeping up with summer league because Bruno Cabolo is not bad at all.

Furyous

The fuck at the bolded

I'm a humble Cavs fan until we actually win some shit. I learned from the Cheatriots with their one game, at a time mantra. The Cavs aren't half as gully as the Cheatriots word to Hron Aaernandez. At the end of the day, the season hasn't started and RIGHT TODAY we are not a lock to make the playoffs. Let's start the season, gel as a team, and work to make the playoffs. The east has tough competition. It's not the west for damn sure but competition is competition.

We need to trade Dion to GS. I need to see Steve Kerr coach him. No rim is safe with his reckless disregard for spraying. He's on some call of duty shit. Remember when you unlock the best SMG in the game and just go into a match spraying everywhere? That's Dion in a nutshell. Let him go out west and Kerr deal with him. I don't want Dion fucking up team chemistry thinking he's a superstar player. Gilbert needs to send him out of town. Golden State needs to keep him away from buffets and dat 'dicinal aka convince the state of California to turn down his application for weed license. Can you imagine how much fatter he'd be after smoking? I'm getting chills thinking about it.

In an ideal world we send out one number one pick not two, Dion and maybe Anthony Bennett instead of Tristan. I'm not a GM but if the current deal lands us Kevin Love then go for it.

On a side note. Lakers got nothing for Pau Gasol with all opportunities they had to trade him for some assets in return during last season. They basically gave the contract they offered Pau this free agency to Jordan Hill after he turned it down. Gasol and Noah should be an awesome frontcourt best passing big men in the game on the same team to make up the DRose's lack of passing at times. Hopefully Bulls can continue to add some solid role players.

On a side note. Lakers got nothing for Pau Gasol with all opportunities they had to trade him for some assets in return during last season. They basically gave the contract they offered Pau this free agency to Jordan Hill after he turned it down. Gasol and Noah should be an awesome frontcourt best passing big men in the game on the same team to make up the DRose's lack of passing at times. Hopefully Bulls can continue to add some solid role players.

He hasn't had any real trade value since 2011. The most credible rumor was a Pau-Okafor swap at the deadline which was another expiring contract and would have just helped save money from the luxury tax. Pau wasn't offered the same contract as Hill. He was offered 2/23 mil and 3/29 mil. Hill received 2/18 mil with a team option for the second year which is much better value. If they kept Pau instead of Hill than the Lakers were gunning for the worst defensive team in league history. Pau knees are shot and is 34 already.

I suspect that Thibs will bench Pau in the 4th like they did with Boozer. He really isn't much of an upgrade other than making less per year.

PBY

Banned
I'm a humble Cavs fan until we actually win some shit. I learned from the Cheatriots with their one game, at a time mantra. The Cavs aren't half as gully as the Cheatriots word to Hron Aaernandez. At the end of the day, the season hasn't started and RIGHT TODAY we are not a lock to make the playoffs. Let's start the season, gel as a team, and work to make the playoffs. The east has tough competition. It's not the west for damn sure but competition is competition.

We need to trade Dion to GS. I need to see Steve Kerr coach him. No rim is safe with his reckless disregard for spraying. He's on some call of duty shit. Remember when you unlock the best SMG in the game and just go into a match spraying everywhere? That's Dion in a nutshell. Let him go out west and Kerr deal with him. I don't want Dion fucking up team chemistry thinking he's a superstar player. Gilbert needs to send him out of town. Golden State needs to keep him away from buffets and dat 'dicinal aka convince the state of California to turn down his application for weed license. Can you imagine how much fatter he'd be after smoking? I'm getting chills thinking about it.

In an ideal world we send out one number one pick not two, Dion and maybe Anthony Bennett instead of Tristan. I'm not a GM but if the current deal lands us Kevin Love then go for it.

I mean. It's reality. You will be 1-3 seed.

Still a lot of bitterness between Vince and raptors fans, it'll take awhile, probably too long for Vince to keep playing. Plus Vince isn't great anymore, the value proposition isn't there.

iamblades

Put Lebron on a team with bums and the Cavs still make the playoffs in the east. With Irving and possibly Love on the way, they will be the favorite in the east.

I'm not the hugest fan of Irving, though I admit he will have to do much much less with Lebron on the team.

As the team is constructed I don't see them winning anything within 3 years. Sure they will be able to make the playoffs in the east, but if they are going to win anything Lebron is going to have to carry harder than he ever did in Miami.

Even if they get Love, I still have questions about them being a championship contender, though I don't doubt they should win plenty of regular season games. You need defensive bigs to win in the post season.

We will see though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Heard the following rumor: Love + Rubio + Glenn Robinson IIII for Irving + Bennett

Top Bottom