• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

I have to admit, it sucks that Shawn Marion will probably be gone. With Tyson Chandler back I would have liked to seen both of em playing together again. They were a pretty good defensive duo when together. Who knows, maybe with Marion's lack of offensive capabilities we can get him back on the vet minimum.

Hell I'd trade Gal Mekel to give Marion another million. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about getting Parsons but I'd love to see Marion come off the bench to help on defense.

overcast

So... this is what the Rockets offseason has come to :[

Well, Parsons wasn't worth 15 million. Feel free to make me eat crow if he proves me wrong.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chalmers/Napier/Cole. Is there a worst PG tandem in the league?

Sure. The teams not trying to win any games have worse. Magic PG right now is a rookie and ??? - they don't even have a backup veteran after they let Jameer go. Really didn't get the point of letting him go so we could go sign Ben Gordon.

But the Heat PG rotation is pretty sad for a team actually trying to win games this year.

PBY

Banned
Not sure why this is a "lmao no". They took SAS to the brink before folding in Game 7 and they largely upgraded the roster by adding Chandler and Parsons. They certainly fared much better against SAS than the vaunted Big 3 did.
They overachieved last year. Dirk keeps getting older.

I predict PHX jumps them this year and they don't even make the playoffs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not sure why this is a "lmao no". They took SAS to the brink before folding in Game 7 and they largely upgraded the roster by adding Chandler and Parsons. They certainly fared much better against SAS than the vaunted Big 3 did.

Raymond Felton is going to be playing 20+ minutes per night for them.

Bowser

Yeah they want to trade for Love or Rondo, but what are they going to trade?

Yeah that's what I don't get. They don't have next year's first rounder and unless I'm mistaken are not allowed to trade a first rounder until next year's draft is complete (or is it they can't trade their 2016 first rounder? Either way). They've already gutted the roster by getting rid of Lin, Asik, and Parsons. They're not trading Harden or Dwight or Ariza. What exactly do they have to offer? They'd have to include both Jones and Montiejunas to land either Rondo or Love, but those two guys alone aren't going to get it done (and even if they did, they'd have no depth and no picks with which to replenish that depth).

edit: Lakers really overpaid for Swaggy P y'all:

Bsg_67_CcAA4nf5.png:large

Two Words

After watching some footage of Parsons, I do think he is was underrated by the Rockets when they let him be an RFA. Definitely overpaid now though. I hope Parsons is bulking up this off-season. Main flaw I noticed is he doesn't have much explosiveness on offense of strength to hold his ground on defense.

Well the good news is that Jim Buss will step down in 3 years.

I am ashamed to bleed purple and gold. I am having Terry Teagle flashbacks.

Disgusted by the moves they have not made. I knew they were not going to get top 5 free agent talent, but not going after some of the talent out there baffles me. Instead sign losers to huge deals. Pau was so smart to leave. I bet Kobe gave him his blessing, because he knows how awful they are going to be for the next 5 years.

I am disgusted. I have never been so sick to my stomach. Mitch and Jim shooting for another 25 win season, and I will not be around to watch that shit. My heart can not take it. There needs to be a hostile takeover.

NY is now Lakers East. Id rather follow them than LA. I am so disgusted.

Well the good news is that Jim Buss will step down in 3 years.

I am ashamed to bleed purple and gold. I am having Terry Teagle flashbacks.

Disgusted by the moves they have not made. I knew they were not going to get top 5 free agent talent, but not going after some of the talent out there baffles me. Instead sign losers to huge deals. Pau was so smart to leave. I bet Kobe gave him his blessing, because he knows how awful they are going to be for the next 5 years.

I am disgusted. I have never been so sick to my stomach. Mitch and Jim shooting for another 25 win season, and I will not be around to watch that shit. My heart can not take it. There needs to be a hostile takeover.

NY is now Lakers East. Id rather follow them than LA. I am so disgusted.

Relax. They are gunning for the next two offseasons. There was nothing to be had this year.

And The Lakers are becoming the joke of the NBA. At least when Elden Campbell and Van Excel were here we won more that 25 games.

Its safe to say that this upcoming season will be equal to or slightly better than the worst season in franchise history.

All I can do is sigh man. All I can do is Sigh.

And The Lakers are becoming the joke of the NBA. At least when Elden Campbell and Van excel were here we won more that 25 game.

Its safe to say that this upcoming season will be equal to or slightly better than the worst season in franchise history.

All I can do is sigh man. All I can do is Sigh.

So you'd rather that we sign Melo win 40 games and still miss the playoffs? This roster is garbage. One or two players won't change that, especially not a guy like Melo or Bosh.

Two Words

Lakers will never be elite with the money they are paying Kobe. Kobe needed to take a Duncan/Dirk type of paycut. He needs to not be their #1 option any longer. But that's not how Kobe is.

So you'd rather that we sign Melo win 40 games and still miss the playoffs? This roster is garbage. One or two players won't change that, especially not a guy like Melo or Bosh.

I would take making the playoffs to really not being able to watch the games after the all-star break. That was brutal. I mean I couldn't watch the games they were so bad.

I would take making the playoffs to really not being bale to watch the games after the allstar break. That was brutal.

Melo + this crap team would not make the playoffs. Melo and a crap team didn't even make the playoffs in the East. In the west? Forget about it.

They need to ride these next two years out, keep their flexibility open, which is why the Lin and Hill deals are smart. Committing max money to Melo for his potential declining years makes no sense for a team in the position the Lakers are in. By the time they reload Melo could be over the hill.

Melo + this crap team would not make the playoffs. Melo and a crap team didn't even make the playoffs in the East. In the west? Forget about it.

Melo Kobe playing 60 games, plus Pau would have made the playoffs. I think.

but forget about that

Why not go after Parsons, Ariza, make a deal for That detroit pistons dude that they no longer want, go after Stephenson?

Go after Isiah

Anything but resigning all the dudes that gave you the worst season ever makes no sense to me.

rvy

Banned

I think the problem is that nobody trusts Jim. You know. When Dr. Buss was alive things weren't always perfect. We had terrible seasons, but you expected something to be done about it to put us in contention again. And that's what invariably happened. When you're signing 40 year old PGs to ridiculous contracts, I have to question what you are doing.

Melo Kobe playing 60 games, plus Pau would have made the playoffs. I think.

but forget about that

Why not overpay for Parsons, make a deal for The detroit pistons dude they dont want, go after Stephenson?

Wishful thinking. The west is fucking STACKED man. The Suns are better than that team (and that's assuming Kobe can even come back after two major injuries) and missed the playoffs.

And the reason they don't go after those guys is because those guys would have wanted big money multiyear deals. Think about it man, would you have been happy if they committed big money to Greg fucking Monroe and Lance Stephenson for the next 4 years? That's a terrible use of cap space.

I think the problem is that nobody trusts Jim. You know. When Dr. Buss was alive things weren't always perfect. We had terrible seasons, but you expected something to be done about it to put us in contention again. And that's what invariably happened. When you're signing 40 year old PGs to ridiculous contracts, I have to question what you are doing.

And the shit of it all is the Lakers made 50 million last year. So until business reflects what is on the court, I can see this dragging out for a long long time.

Time warner cable will fire every person involved in this exclusive deal at some point.

Wishful thinking. The west is fucking STACKED man. The Suns are better than that team (and that's assuming Kobe can even come back after two major injuries) and missed the playoffs.

And the reason they don't go after those guys is because those guys would have wanted big money multiyear deals. Think about it man, would you have been happy if they committed big money to Greg fucking Monroe and Lance Stephenson for the next 4 years? That's a terrible use of cap space.

Ninja, the Lakers seems to have a bad rep around the league now. Who are we going to entice to come here in the next 2 years? Durant is not coming, Westbrook not coming, Love not coming none of these guys want to leave the teams that can offer more money unless its a crazy situation. Like going to play with Lebron.

Dwight turned us down
Melo never wanted to come here
Durant is a small town guy, with not enough heart to make it in a big city.
Westbrook is- I dont even know what he is.
Love doesn't want to rebuild, hes been in hell since he got drafted.

We can't catch a break, because the franchise name has eroded so badly. We had cap space this year, and a choose your own coach option, and no one wanted to come here. No one. Lakers are only used as leverage for players now. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Everyone was praising the Nash deal until he got hurt, talking about Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight winning 73 games and shit. Let's not get revisionist here. I don't trust Jim either but it's mostly because of a lack of a track record. By all accounts he doesn't meddle and pretty much let's Mitch and co (who I do trust) run the show.

Ninja, the Lakers seems to have a bad rep around the league now. Who are we going to entice to come here in the next 2 years? Durant is not coming, Westbrook not coming, Love not coming none of these guys want to leave the teams that can offer more money unless its a crazy situation.

Dwight turned us down
Melo never wanted to come here

We can't catch a break, because the franchise name has eroded so badly.

Bullshit. They didn't want to come here because superstars hitting their late 20s/early 30s don't want to be a part of rebuilds. They don't want to waste 2 years of their prime waiting for a team to come together (especially, in the case of Melo, if you are asking him to give up $30 million to do so). The roster and cap situation right now are not good, and that has a lot to do with them transitioning from a point where they were trying to compete (hence the bad Nash and Kobe deals) to the next era of Laker basketball when those guys are off the books. It's an ugly situation right now and will be for the next 2 years. I'd rather just admit that than try for these shitty bandaids you are proposing like signing Lance or Monroe to multiyear contracts. I've been through plenty of Laker rebuilds to know that every single time people overreact and act like the Lakers name is mud and they will never win again. People said the exact same stuff after Shaq left and we were in the FInals 2 years later. Relax.

Everyone was praising the Nash deal until he got hurt, talking about Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight winning 73 games and shit. Let's not get revisionist here. I don't trust Jim either but it's mostly because of a lack of a track record. By all accounts he doesn't meddle and pretty much let's Mitch and co (who I do trust) run the show.

Bullshit. They didn't want to come here because superstars hitting their late 20s/early 30s don't want to be a part of rebuilds. They don't want to waste 2 years of their prime waiting for a team to come together (especially, in the case of Melo, if you are asking him to give up $30 million to do so). The roster and cap situation right now are not good, and that has a lot to do with them transitioning from a point where they were trying to compete (hence the bad Nash and Kobe deals) to the next era of Laker basketball when those guys are off the books. It's an ugly situation right now and will be for the next 2 years. I'd rather just admit that than try for these shitty bandaids you are proposing like signing Lance or Monroe to multiyear contracts. I've been through plenty of Laker rebuilds to know that every single time people overreact and act like the Lakers name is mud and they will never win again. People said the exact same stuff after Shaq left and we were in the FInals 2 years later. Relax.

Ok. I'm just angry, because I don't know what their plan is, and if it follows this off season's plan, there is no plan; and it worries me. I am just upset.

rvy

Banned

I'm not trying to be revisionist here, I'm sure plenty of people went crazy when we got both, but I never saw Nash as a good deal. He was a risk more than anything.
Dwight I can't blame them. It was a good move by all accounts, but he's got no balls. Too bad we only figured it out 20 games in.

But I can't excuse the way Phil was handled.

Ok. I'm just angry, because I don't know what their plan is, and if it follows this off season's plan, there is no plan; and it worries me.

I think the plan is this: I think the front ofice will never admit it, but the Kobe contract was a mistake. I think they panicked. I think they thought he would come back stronger than he did. I think they know deep down that the Kobe contract is hampering their ability not only cap wise, but also because other big time free agents probably aren't that enamored with taking less money to come play with a 36 year old hard headed dude like Kobe who is taking up 1/4 of the cap and coming off two major injuries. They fucked up. They know it. But no sense crying about it now. They know they need to wait these next two years out. They know they aren't going to realistically compete, they just need to give the illusion that they are. They need to develop Randle. They need to get whatever they can out of Kobe and hope his comeback can keep butts in seats. They need to hope maybe Lin gets some fans excited. But they also need to keep their cap and roster flexibility open. Signing guys to 4 year/$50 million contracts, especially marginal guys like Lance or Monroe, would not have been smart. Nash and Lin are expiring contracts. Hill becomes a fairly big expiring contract next offseason. Swaggy P's contract, as much as I don't like it, is only $5 million a year for a fairly young scorer. It's not poison and it's movable if necessary. The key is to keep your options open. You never know who is going to hit free agency. You never know when a great young player is going to demand a trade. Keep your flexibility open don't blow it on marginal players.

I'm not trying to be revisionist here, I'm sure plenty of people went crazy when we got both, but I never saw Nash as a good deal. He was a risk more than anything.
Dwight I can't blame them. It was a good move by all accounts, but he's got no balls. Too bad we only figured it out 20 games in.

in a vacuum anyone in their right mind would take Phil over D'Antoni, but there is a lot of smoke around that Phil situation about how he was making crazy demands like ownership stakes, or full control of basketball operations, or wanting to coach part time only for home games, that makes it understandable why Buss and Mitch would pass. The fact that he went to NY to be pres instead of coach makes me wonder if he even wanted to coach anymore and was really after Mitch's job and wanted to basically usurp power from Jim.

Phil has wanted player personal control since the end of the Bulls days. Now he has it, let's see what he can do. Jury is still out. Good move getting rid of fat Felton and old thug Chandler.

Cloudy

Banned

It's not revisionist. Many of us were clamoring to keep Sessions. Giving up all those picks for Nash was just DUMB

I think the plan is this: I think the front ofice will never admit it, but the Kobe contract was a mistake. I think they panicked. I think they thought he would come back stronger than he did. I think they know deep down that the Kobe contract is hampering their ability not only cap wise, but also because other big time free agents probably aren't that enamored with taking less money to come play with a 36 year old hard headed dude like Kobe who is taking up 1/4 of the cap and coming off two major injuries.

I agree that they panicked but do you really think it'd have been a good risk to let Kobe get wooed by loaded teams like the Bulls and Rockets after the horrific season we just saw? He might even have left for a team like the Knicks with Phil there since the East is easier and the fans wouldn't have blamed him since he wasn't offered a deal coming off injury.

Also I don't see how Kobe is hampering the cap. We had room to sign Melo but he didn't come because Knicks can pay him a boatload more with a better chance of contending in the miserable East. Paying freakin' Jordan Hill $9mil is what's hampering the cap!

Lakers need to realize that the biggest FA stars have no incentive to choose LA with no young talent and no ability to pay them more. That is why the 2016 plan is doomed to failure unless Randle or Clarkson become studs

Top Bottom