• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

It's not revisionist. Many of us were clamoring to keep Sessions. Giving up all those picks for Nash was just DUMB

I agree that they panicked but do you really think it'd have been a good risk to let Kobe get wooed by loaded teams like the Bulls and Rockets after the horrific season we just saw? He might even have left for a team like the Knicks with Phil there since the East is easier and the fans wouldn't have blamed him since he wasn't offered a deal coming off injury.

Also I don't see how Kobe is hampering the cap. We had room to sign Melo but he didn't come because Knicks can pay him a boatload more with a better chance of contending in the miserable East. Paying freakin' Jordan Hill $9mil is what's hampering the cap!

Lakers need to realize that the biggest FA stars have no incentive to choose LA with no young talent and no ability to pay them more. That is why the 2016 plan is doomed to failure unless Randle or Clarkson become studs

Let Kobe test the market if he wants to be embarassed by all the Paul Pierce to Wizards-esque offers he would have received. I get the feeling he would have come crawling back to something more sensible like 2 years/$30 million or 2 years/$25 million.

And yes he is hampering our cap. We have $25 million in cap space, more than a 1/3 of the cap, locked into a 36 year old who may or may not be fully healed from the devastating injuries he suffered in the last 2 years. You don't think that crosses the minds of big time free agents like Melo? It would have basically been Kobe/Melo and spare parts which is a pretty terrible team.

Fjordson

So who do you guys think makes the 12 man roster for the FIBA championships?

Screen-Shot-2014-07-14-at-9.17.55-AM.png

Hope Curry makes it.

zychi

Banned
Is there any way to use cable credentials to watch nbatv? I want to watch summer league but dont want to pay $5 to view it on work computer, lamps/streams arent an option

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Irving should make it so Coach K gets a chance to coach him for more than 11 games.

Maybe teach him how to play defense.

Didn't work for Jabari either and he had him a whole season.

K's defensive philosophy only works with upper classmen who have been in the program 3-4 years, Freshmen 1 and dones dont have time to play D unless they are naturally good at it.

This year will be an interesting mix of upperclassmen who at least know how to play it and more fab freshmen who will struggle. Everyone says Tyus Jones is awful at defense, so don't expect anything from him.

I want Rose to make the FIBA team just so he get's a chance to get some rhythm and timing going on to have less rust to start the NBA season. The last time he played USA basketball, he won the MVP the following season.

alba

Little is the new Big
Chicago just gave Orlando 2 2nd round picks to take Anthony Randolph off their hands lol. Magic waived him
We needed to go under the cap and that helps.

I want Rose to make the FIBA team just so he get's a chance to get some rhythm and timing going on to have less rust to start the NBA season. The last time he played USA basketball, he won the MVP the following season.
I think he will. Douggie said he looked like old DRose to him, I BULLIEVE! :D

zychi

Banned

I want this too, but when I went to the opener last year against NYK he seemed fine. Obv the injury was a freak thing, but he looked like good ol Derrick that day

Didn't work for Jabari either and he had him a whole season.

K's defensive philosophy only works with upper classmen who have been in the program 3-4 years, Freshmen 1 and dones dont have time to play D unless they are naturally good at it.

This year will be an interesting mix of upperclassmen who at least know how to play it and more fab freshmen who will struggle. Everyone says Tyus Jones is awful at defense, so don't expect anything from him.

I'll take the alternate view and say think how bad Jabari would be on defense without Coach K's tutelage.

Fjordson

The point guard spot could be tough for FIBA. Do you take four? Tough to cut anyone out of Curry, Irving, Lillard and Rose. I guess I would go:

1) Curry, Rose (if healthy), Kyrie

2) Harden, Klay

3) Durant, George

4) Love, Griffin

5) Davis, Cousins

Not sure who my last guy is. Maybe someone defensive 'cause some of the above guys are pretty mediocre on D.

Fjordson

Irving would have to be the first to go if Rose is healthy. Curry and Lillard's games translate better to the international game.
Yeah, you're probably right. Curry and Lillard are better shooters and will feast from the outside. Especially with the shorter line. Though I don't know if Coach K will cut a Dukie.

Yeah, you're probably right. Curry and Lillard are better shooters and will feast from the outside. Especially with the shorter line. Though I don't know if Coach K will cut a Dukie.

I wouldn't mind Rose getting the cut either at this point. In fact if I were Jerry Reinsdorf I'd be slipping some money into Coach K's off shore bank account to make sure that happens.

Jordan Clarkson is really impressing me

Justin Holiday is getting a Warrior training camp invite...and I expect him to make the roster. Dude was the go to guy in clutch time, hit clutch shots...played defense, can board...

Guess somewhere down the line we're going to find out why he's 25 and not playing in the league even though his younger brother is.

Rodney Hood (Utah Jazz) went 1-10 from 3 on Saturday in game 1 of summer league.

Game 2? Rodney Hood (Duke Blue Devil) went 7 of 10 from 3, 11 of 16 overall. 29 points, 5 assists.

fertygo

Rodney Hood (Utah Jazz) went 1-10 from 3 on Saturday in game 1 of summer league.

Game 2? Rodney Hood (Duke Blue Devil) went 7 of 10 from 3, 11 of 16 overall. 29 points, 5 assists.

If he can became Matt Barnes without thug mentality and slightly better shot, he will have some use in this league.

Rose will be fine this time.

The odds are not high that he will have another season-ending injury but it will be nervewracking watching.

His ACL seems fine and seemed fine last year, he was still the fastest guy on the court despite missing tons of shots he usually hits.

Not sure if the meniscus was a freak thing or because he favored that leg.

All in all, he's basically 100%.

He's not going to change the way he plays, his driving makes him special.

The Bulls need another pointguard though, the two they have have had health problems.

Mike James is always ready though.

The odds are not high that he will have another season-ending injury but it will be nervewracking watching.

His ACL seems fine and seemed fine last year, he was still the fastest guy on the court despite missing tons of shots he usually hits.

Not sure if the meniscus was a freak thing or because he favored that leg.

All in all, he's basically 100%.

He's not going to change the way he plays, his driving makes him special.

The Bulls need another pointguard though, the two they have have had health problems.

Mike James is always ready though.

Those 9 games before the injury, every time he fell on the floor, I thought he got hurt again. If he's healthy, I expect anticipating that next injury the whole season next year.

Fjordson

I don't mind guys like Lebron taking time off for FIBA. Might as well develop some younger guys for Olympics and international tourneys for the future.

Also, Nerlens Noel looks really good. It's just summer league, but his fitness seems all the way back and he's bulked up since his Kentucky days.

I don't mind guys like Lebron taking time off for FIBA. Might as well develop some younger guys for Olympics and international tourneys for the future.

Getting that core group to commit to 2006 (Worlds), 2007 (required with not winning gold in 2006), and 2008 was amazing when you think about it. That's 3 offseasons that were basically eaten up with having to participate all 3 years. Veteran players with a lot of miles can't be expected to do that.

Fjordson

Lmao, anyone see JB Smoove on first take this morning? Best part was his intro

"JB Smoove here to talk about his New York Knicks and-"

"REBUILDIN'!"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rubio only wants a max deal. Wolves better get on that before everyone comes for him...

Of course his agent is going to ask for a max to start negotiations. Nobody is giving him the max.

WojYahooNBA
Free agent Jeff Adrien has reached a 1-year deal with Houston, league sources tell Yahoo.

actually like this signing. Surprised he could only get 1 year.

Top Bottom