• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Vestal

There ain't a damn thing you can do to "strengthen your calf" to prevent your foot getting caught on the basket support and 200+ pounds coming down at full speed on that leg. The bone is going to give.
Correct, however if you remember the Kevin Ware snapped it in almost the same way with no support near him. While yes in PGs case it could be attributed to the back support causing an awkward landing, Im sorry but those legs are skinny as hell. We are pushing these kids to think all about speed and jump ability and not support for their bodies. Faster and higher, without focusing as well on the longevity of their bodies.

Look at Dwade, how many knee surgeries has he had? Drose has played how many games the past two years?

Having watched basketball avidly since 88, I don't remember ever seeing injuries such as these, back in the day.

Two Words

Correct, however if you remember the Kevin Ware snapped it in almost the same way with no support near him. While yes in PGs case it could be attributed to the back support causing an awkward landing, Im sorry but those legs are skinny as hell. We are pushing these kids to think all about speed and jump ability and not support for their bodies. Faster and higher, without focusing as well on the longevity of their bodies.

Look at Dwade, how many knee surgeries has he had? Drose has played how many games the past two years?

Having watched basketball avidly since 88, I don't remember ever seeing injuries such as these, back in the day.

Please learn some physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

Sucks for PG. :(

I'm pretty sure we'll see a number of owners/coaches who refuse to let their players play for the national team.

The thing is, I don't think the owners don't have any power to keep them from playing. They can bitch all they want but they can't actually do anything. Cuban has said multiple times that if he could keep players from playing competitively during the off season that he would.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a big issue in the next CBA though.

edit: I bet Larry Bird is fucking PISSED right now.

The thing is, I don't think the owners don't have any power to keep them from playing. They can bitch all they want but they can't actually do anything..

Why should they?

Can your boss tell you what you can and cannot do on your off time?

Maybe the players should be banned from driving too, as its incredibly dangerous. Wouldnt want a billionaire to have a scratch on his toy.

Fjordson

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a big issue in the next CBA though.
Just what I was thinking.

I think it's really neat to see NBA stars going up against international teams, so selfishly I hope they continue to play in FIBA/Olympics (at least the ones who want to).

Two Words

Oh my god. I decided to actually watch the video of the injury and you can hear his leg break. What a horrible injury. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a while now. I just hope the adrenaline helped make the pain less devastating.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
While it may look gruesome, a broken leg, if that's what this is, is actually better than a torn ligament or tendon. With surgery and rehab, I wouldn't be surprised if he were back by January or so.

Two Words

While it may look gruesome, a broken leg, if that's what this is, is actually better than a torn ligament or tendon. With surgery and rehab, I wouldn't be surprised if he were back by January or so.

I am no doctor, but how on Earth does a leg break at a 90 degree angle and not tear all sorts of muscles and tendons?

And I got my self so hyped up about watching this game... :(

I have to imagine there was some kind of weakness already in his bone for it to snap clean off like that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I am no doctor, but how on Earth does a leg break at a 90 degree angle and not tear all sorts of muscles and tendons?
It depends on the location of the break. Ligaments and tendons don't run the entire way of the leg. They are located in specific parts. If the break avoided those parts, then he should be fine.

Two Words

And I got my self so hyped up about watching this game... :(

I have to imagine there was some kind of weakness already in his bone for it to snap clean off like that.

No dude. You have to understand the kind of force these guys are running at. These are 220+ lbs dudes running at full speed jumping as high as possible. The kind of force put on their bodies is unreal at times. He perfectly landed so that his lower leg acted as a lever. One end was stuck wedged under the basket, and the other end was moving at full speed at the landing. There is basically an invisible fulcrum, which is where the break happened.

To visualize it, the rock represents the stuck foot and the man represents the rest of George's body. The man pushing down to raise the boulder is like George's body continuing to move. George's foot was stuck and could not move. And what would happen if you kept pushing down on an impossible to move boulder? Eventually, the plank would break at the fulcrum, which is what happened to George's leg.

fulcrum.gif

Their is no conceivable way he comes back by January. He has a compound fracture. His bone literally scraped the floor.

Their is no conceivable way he comes back by January. He has a compound fracture. His bone literally scrapped the floor.

Pacers might have to actually use the Disabled Player Exception which allows them to sign someone for 50% of what the disabled player is making without it applying towards the cap.

I have no idea who they would get though.

Pimpwerx

I don't plan on watching any videos, just saw the pic. How did PG break his leg? Did someone fall on it? That really sucks. I wish him a full and speedy recovery. PEACE.

Two Words

I don't plan on watching any videos, just saw the pic. How did PG break his leg? Did someone fall on it? That really sucks. I wish him a full and speedy recovery. PEACE.

My earlier post explained it some.

No dude. You have to understand the kind of force these guys are running at. These are 220+ lbs dudes running at full speed jumping as high as possible. The kind of force put on their bodies is unreal at times. He perfectly landed so that his lower leg acted as a lever. One end was stuck wedged under the pole platform under the basket, and the other end was moving at full speed at the landing. There is basically an invisible fulcrum, which is where the break happened.

To visualize it, the rock represents the stuck foot and the man represents the rest of George's body. The man pushing down to raise the boulder is like George's body continuing to move. George's foot was stuck and could not move. And what would happen if you kept pushing down on an impossible to move boulder? Eventually, the plank would break at the fulcrum, which is what happened to George's leg.

fulcrum.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Their is no conceivable way he comes back by January. He has a compound fracture. His bone literally scraped the floor.
It was a compound fracture? I thought it wasn't. In that case, I could see him coming back in March or April. Obviously by that point, they'll probably just sit him out for the full season.

Two Words

It was a compound fracture? I thought it wasn't. In that case, I could see him coming back in March or April. Obviously by that point, they'll probably just sit him out for the full season.

Do you not recognize the absurdity in how you are playing armchair-doctor for a patient you have not examined?

B.O.O.M

Dr. Mark Adickes @jocktodoc
Pacers Paul George suffers lower leg fracture. In the absence of nerve injury this injury should heal well after surgery. 6 month recovery.

Candace Buckner ✔ @CandaceDBuckner
Paul George suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. Will be in surgery for two hours, to get a pin placed in his leg.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Do you not recognize the absurdity in how you are playing armchair-doctor for a patient you have not examined?
Dude, this is a fucking video game message board. Fuck kind of question is that?

9-12 months, no chance he plays this season
You just saw that on ESPN, lol.

Dr. Mark Adickes @jocktodoc
Pacers Paul George suffers lower leg fracture. In the absence of nerve injury this injury should heal well after surgery. 6 month recovery.
So, that would put him at about......January?

*Smug Look*

Lol, of course, this is barring anything more serious, which it very well could be.

B.O.O.M

*Smug Look*

Lol, of course, this is barring anything more serious, which it very well could be.

I mean that's for the healing. There will definitely be rehab to follow too. But yeah as long as nerves aren't messed up he should be back for 2015-16 season.

Two Words

Dude, this is a fucking video game message board. Fuck kind of question is that?

You just saw that on ESPN, lol.

*Smug Look*

I don't get how this being a video game message board somehow elevates your medical experience. And 6 months of recovery does not mean he will be back to playing in 6 months. It means he will recover from the injury within 6 months. Rehab will be a long and hard process as well as training. I'm not even trying to say "Oh no I know better, it's definitely gonna take a year or more". I'm just saying it's silly to act like anybody without medical experience knows, which I assume you don't have.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean that's for the healing. There will definitely be rehab to follow too. But yeah as long as nerves aren't messed up he should be back for 2015-16 season.
Of course, I'm just being an ass about this. Hopefully it was a clean break with no underlying damage, but I'm certain he'll be back.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't get how this being a video game message board somehow elevates your medical experience. And 6 months of recovery does not mean he will be back to playing in 6 months. It means he will recover from the injury within 6 months. Rehab will be a long and hard process as well as training. I'm not even trying to say "Oh no I know better, it's definitely gonna take a year or more". I'm just saying it's silly to act like anybody without medical experience knows, which I assume you don't have.
Well, I am a medical student at one of the top medical schools in the country. Admittedly, that doesn't mean much, but my point is simply stop taking things so seriously. I wasn't meaning it as some serious speculation that should be followed. Obviously, I'm just guessing. I didn't think I had to clarify that. None of us know anything about his injury, so it's all with a grain of salt. I didn't think I had to make that clear. I just thought all the talk I'm hearing about his career possibly being over was ridiculous. I wasn't acting like I knew. I was doing exactly what you and everybody else was doing, just speculating.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
To be fair, you also just said you were being an ass. No take-backs.
Well, yeah, but how seriously could anyone be taking my "he might be back by January" post that it actually pisses you off.

Like, if January rolls around and Paul George isn't back yet, were you going to go, "WTF? But video game message board NeoGAF user SoulPlaya said he would be back by now! I can't believe this!"

Two Words

Well, yeah, but how seriously could anyone be taking my "he might be back by January" post that it actually pisses you off.

Like, if January rolls around and Paul George isn't back yet, were you going to go, "WTF? But video game message board NeoGAF user SoulPlaya said he would be back by now! I can't believe this!"
Eh, I have a pet-peeve about armchairing. Not going to act like I never do it, but there's just something cringey about a random Internet guy having no history with the player (and any medical experience in most cases) and just popping out a timetable of return. It would be akin to me as a computer programming student saying "Oh yeah, they'll have this game out by January" after seeing a trailer and no release date announced.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Eh, I have a pet-peeve about armchairing. Not going to act like I never do it, but there's just something cringey about a random Internet guy having no history with the player (and any medical experience in most cases) and just popping out a timetable of return. It would be akin to me as a computer programming student saying "Oh yeah, they'll have this game out by January" after seeing a trailer and no release date announced.
You dislike armchairing, but you're on a message board? Are you a masochist?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

What the hell am I reading....?

Anyway, back to reality, I can totally see fewer NBA stars doing international play after this. The risk just isn't worth it for superstars. Then again, in the last 20 years of international play, the number of injuries is pretty low.

Two Words

I really hope this will finally get the NBA to also take a look at floor spacing. This wasn't an NBA game, but it's not hard to imagine this happening in one. The NBA needs to make it so players have space to land. It's absurd how many times we see players jumping into fans, jumping over photographers, running into the pole padding, etc. If Jack Nicolas has to lose his precious courtside seats and can't be at arms-length from players, so be it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I saw the injury multiple times because of Vine. I feel ill. One of the worst breaks I've ever seen, that wasn't broken through skin.

Sucks for PG and the Pacers. The blame game is of course already on with GMs and fans blaming intenational bball *sigh*

0.jpg

0.jpg

vs.

0DWWogO.jpg

Maybe use a better hoop in your scrimmage the next time and have more space between the baseline and the hoop's ground socket. Even I'd hit that thing and I'm a dwarf compared to professionall bball players.

Kydd BlaZe

PG will be out at least a year I bet. Was watching the scrimmage when it happened. Crazy shit. Dude will definitely be in my prayers.

If I'm a Pacers fan I'm sick right now. How is PacersAGE holding up? You guys ok?

*that moment when you realize that Roy Hibbert is now the best player on the roster* Fuck...

Top Bottom