• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

If Lebron played in the west he'd be 0-0 in finals.

Dude gets more of a pass than any other player in history, so many of you are right here right now thinkers.

He'd be attempting a 5-peat with the Spurs by now if he's on the Western Conference. Dude's not dumb to pick a bottom-feeder in the West and would have just choose a straight up contender.

kaiju

CGJP4OHU0AEGXKZ.jpg

This doesn't make a lot of sense because if he was in the West, he'd be paired with a better team.

Imagine Lebron on GSW with Curry and Klay, or on OKC with Westbrook and Durant. Why would they not be guaranteed to go to finals?

kobe stans always seem to forget to mention shaq

Two Words

With the way the Rockets were smacking around the Warriors, I'm surprised the Warriors got out of that series with no injuries. I gotta say, Rockets

howard3_medium.gif

Fjordson

State Farm also predicted the future as well.

State_Farm_escalator.gif
Lmao Goddamn.

Really no doubt that Wardell has surpassed Cliff Paul as the definitive point God. More MVP's, more conference finals, more finals, more memorable press conference baby. Wardell's life has just turned into one big winning streak.

Ninjimbo

So when LeBron goes 2 for 6 in Finals appearances where will he be ranked all time?
He's still the best player I've ever seen and I'll take him over anybody.

I don't understand why his losses in the Finals have to be held against him when basketball is a team game. Lebron's teams just weren't good enough. It's really simple. The teams that win titles tend to be stacked with good to great players and Lebron lost to better teams. The only one you can truly blame him for is the lost to the Mavs in 2011 because he had a great team doing its part and Lebron short circuited. But even then, shouldn't a team be able to overcome a bad performance by one of its stars? The Heat lost to a team that outmaneuvered them in the Mavs. No shame in losing to a team led by Dirk Nowitski.

To answer your question, I doubt people would put him top three. Maybe top five.

BadAss2961

He's still the best player I've ever seen and I'll take him over anybody.

I don't understand why his losses in the Finals have to be held against him when basketball is a team game. Lebron's teams just weren't good enough. It's really simple. The teams that win titles tend to be stacked with good to great players and Lebron lost to better teams. The only one you can truly blame him for is the lost to the Mavs in 2011 because he had a great team doing its part and Lebron short circuited. But even then, shouldn't a team be able to overcome a bad performance by one of its stars? The Heat lost to a team that outmaneuvered them in the Mavs. No shame in losing to a team led by Dirk Nowitski.

To answer your question, I doubt people would put him top three. Maybe top five.
Not trying to hear that. This guy handpicked his roster for the last 5 years. Best player in the league and refuses to play with anything less than 2 other established stars.
"Jud Buchler and Bill Wennington were significantly better than Mozgov and Stacey King was a HOFer.

Jordan had big men that LeBron could only dream of, making what LeBron did that more incredible."

lol

So when LeBron goes 2 for 6 in Finals appearances where will he be ranked all time?

More ammunition for the armchair critics that have never actually played basketball, and thus, think it's an individual game. Put peak MJ on this year's 76ers and he'd struggle to average 20 ppg b/c teams would triple team him.

Regardless of this year's finals, LeBron is at least top 10 of all time. He's at least at the same level as Kobe and Duncan historically, this coming from a huge Kobe fan.

More ammunition for the armchair critics that have never actually played basketball, and thus, think it's an individual game. Put peak MJ on this year's 76ers and he'd struggle to average 20 ppg b/c teams would triple team him.

Regardless of this year's finals, LeBron is at least top 10 of all time. He's at least at the same level as Kobe and Duncan historically, this coming from a huge Kobe fan.

Except Tim And Kobe have hung 10 banners at the other's expense in the last 15 years.

LeBron was 1 Ray Allen shot from going 1 and 4 in the Finals.

For better or worse, you are judged by how many times you lift the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Ninjimbo

Not trying to hear that. This guy handpicked his roster for the last 5 years. Best player in the league and refuses to play with anything less than 2 other established stars.
Lebron didn't handpick the Heat's roster. Otherwise he wouldn't have thrown the fit he did when Mike Miller was sent packing. His teams lost. They weren't good enough to win. He wasn't good enough in one of the Finals. That's okay. You're allowed to lose and still be the best at what you do.

I don't get what's so bad about wanting to play with other good people either. When you play ball, do you go out of your way to put the scrubs on your team? I don't. Give me people who know what they're doing and can carry their own weight. The notion that you have to do everything yourself as an NBA Superstar to be considered great is ridiculous.

Except Tim And Kobe have hung 10 banners at the other's expense in the last 15 years.

LeBron was 1 Ray Allen shot from going 1 and 4 in the Finals.

For better or worse, you are judged by how many times you lift the Larry O'Brien trophy.

And that's the problem. Rank should not equal "who has the most rings", yet somehow that's become the criteria. I'd say it's more fair to use rings as a tiebreaker between two players who are close in their overall career.

For example, who would you rate higher, Charles Barkley or Clyde Drexler? Both guys brought teams to the Finals, but Barkley was much better in his prime, won an MVP, probably should have won a second, and had a great series against a legendary Bulls squad that no one could beat. But Drexler has the ring from riding shotgun with Hakeem. So 1>0 = Clyde>Chuck?

C'mon

Lebron didn't handpick the Heat's roster. Otherwise he wouldn't have thrown the fit he did when Mike Miller was sent packing. His teams lost. They weren't good enough to win. He wasn't good enough in one of the Finals. That's okay. You're allowed to lose and still be the best at what you do.

I agree, LeBron is the best at losing in the Finals.

And that's the problem. Rank should not equal "who has the most rings", yet somehow that's become the criteria. I'd say it's more fair to use rings as a tiebreaker between two players who are close in their overall career.

For example, who would you rate higher, Charles Barkley or Clyde Drexler? Both guys brought teams to the Finals, but Barkley was much better in his prime, won an MVP, probably should have won a second, and had a great series against a legendary Bulls squad that no one could beat. But Drexler has the ring from riding shotgun with Hakeem. So 1>0 = Clyde>Chuck?

C'mon

I said for better or worse, it's how players are judged. You gotta win. That's why as great as Karl Malone was, the tie breaker with him and Timmy is the fact that Timmy hung 5 banners.

You gotta win. You can't be in the same conversation with Michael when you have lost more championships than you won, cause the mystique about Michael was when he started going to Finals, he won. Every time, PLUS the other accolades throughout his career. LeBron has the accolades but not the hardware.

jmood88

I just love how the knock against Lebron for the longest was that he couldn't get to the finals in the East and with one of the best teams in the league but now that he's gotten there 5 straight times the complaint is that he's not winning enough. People are annoying.

I just love how the knock against Lebron for the longest was that he couldn't get to the finals in the East and with one of the best teams in the league but now that he's gotten there 5 straight times the complaint is that he's not winning enough. People are annoying.

Yeah, the Buffalo Bills got to 4 straight Superbowls. They should be proud of that, people.

They didn't win any, though. He has won two already.

In 5 tries. You can't have Chosen One tattooed on your back, call yourself The King and invite comparisons to Michael when you have a losing record playing for all the marbles.

He's Peyton Manning with one more championship under his belt, IMO.

TTG

Kwame Brown
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm
Smush Parker
Devean George
Sasha Vujacic
Luke Walton
Brian Cook

Here's a quiz gaf, what do all of those names have in common? Bonus points if you can get it, huge Kobe fan.

You never had your hand in the dirt!

Kwame Brown = got us Pau
Lamar Odom = never lived up to his potential, never recovered from getting Kardashian'd
Chris Mihm = stayed hurt :(
Smush Parker = self proclaimed better than Kobe
Devean George = 3 time NBA championship, first 3 years in the league
Sasha Vujacic = 2 time NBA champion who had Maria Sharapova off the court
Luke Walton = 2 time NBA champion going for his 3rd this year
Brian Cook = Mychal Thompson's illegitimate son

Here's a quiz gaf, what do all of those names have in common?

Do I win?

TTG

Do I win?

I was going with Kobe's teammates that played the day he dropped 81 in reference to MJ struggling to average 20, but holy shit! You fucking win.

EDIT: I feel obligated to mention that time Kobe outscored the Mavericks through 3 quarters carrying that bunch, good times.

Ledbetter

Good thing that tomorrow I will finish my finals, so I can watch these Finals (heh). Just watched just like 2 playoffs games :(

I'll be fine with whoever wins, but it would be nice if Curry gets his first NBA ring. So Warriors in 7?

I was going with Kobe's teammates that played the day he dropped 81 in reference to MJ struggling to average 20, but holy shit! You fucking win.

EDIT: I feel obligated to mention that time Kobe outscored the Mavericks through 3 quarters carrying that bunch, good times.

So that 81 game...Jalen Rose, the same guy that admitted years later to trying to intentionally injure Kobe in the 2000 NBA Finals (look it up) was on that Raptors squad that got the Ocho Uno hung on them.

Karma is a Motherfucker.

I said for better or worse, it's how players are judged. You gotta win. That's why as great as Karl Malone was, the tie breaker with him and Timmy is the fact that Timmy hung 5 banners.

You gotta win. You can't be in the same conversation with Michael when you have lost more championships than you won, cause the mystique about Michael was when he started going to Finals, he won. Every time, PLUS the other accolades throughout his career. LeBron has the accolades but not the hardware.

I don't think anyone is arguing that LeBron>MJ. Here is a good example of using rings to break ties. LeBron and MJ are pretty close in regular season and postseason stats. But MJ definitely gets the nod due to his hardware collection.

More like LeBron is in the conversation with Duncan and Kobe for best player after MJ. YMMV on which of those three to pick above the others. As a Kobe fan, I have my biases there. Don't forget that Kobe has owned Duncan in the playoffs, on similarly talented teams. But Duncan has contended for titles for almost 20 years straight. LeBron's stats are better than both Kobe/Duncan, but they've got more rings. Again, YMMV.

Kwame Brown
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm
Smush Parker
Devean George
Sasha Vujacic
Luke Walton
Brian Cook

Here's a quiz gaf, what do all of those names have in common? Bonus points if you can get it, huge Kobe fan.

You never had your hand in the dirt!

Man wtf ever happened to Sasha? It's like the Lakers shot him out of a damn airlock in deep space.

On a side note, I want Cuban to get Seth Curry and Mychel Thompson for the Mavs.
We'll be the
latest

of the NBA

BadAss2961

Que?

Scorers tend to score more on bad teams. MJ probably wouldn't win there, but he'd drop 40 a game on that team in today's soft ass league.

LOL

Look around the internet.

Well sure, teens that never saw MJ play. No reasonable person that saw these players in their primes would argue LeBron or Kobe over MJ.

As for the list wars post about Kobe's teammates for the 81 point game: sure go ahead and pick out one game against a horrific defense that refused to consistently double team, let alone triple team Kobe. See Bill and Jalen's discussion on how Toronto coach Sam Mitchell coached that game.

Not taking anything away from the 81 point game or that 35ppg season with a really shitty supporting cast, they were amazing accomplishments. But it does nothing to refute the fact that neither MJ nor Kobe nor anyone else won championships without great teammates. Again, it's a team sport, and MJ/Kobe needed support to actually win titles. LeBron was actually the best player on the court in last year's Finals, but the Spurs were a much deeper and more talented team overall. I'd say LeBrons performance last year actually helps his resume: like Barkley against the Bulls, a great showing against a far superior opponent.

Not sure where the fault in logic is you think you're pointing to. He deserved criticism when he couldn't get his team through weak eastern conferences and now the criticism is that once he gets there by beating weak teams, he loses more often than not against superior western teams. Everything is being said seems pretty rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom