• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Penguin

Seems like a solid, if not uneventful, debut for Star Trek Discovery

Fast-Demo-2017-Sep-24.SUN_.png

Granted I imagine a lot of folks watched it on the app just to see both eps back to back?

Busty

Banned
Seems like a solid, if not uneventful, debut for Star Trek Discovery

That's an awful number given the publicity that surrounded the relaunch. I'm sure CBS are happy that the series will now be on CBS Access well away from Nielsen's beady eye because I have a feeling that the ratings would have gone south very quickly.

Could it just be that despite the huge exposure that following American football broadcasts can bring NFL and Trek just don't mix?

Penguin

That's an awful number given the publicity that surrounded the relaunch. I'm sure CBS are happy that the series will now be on CBS Access well away from Nielsen's beady eye because I have a feeling that the ratings would have gone south very quickly.

Could it just be that despite the huge exposure that following American football broadcasts can bring NFL and Trek just don't mix?

Like it's hard to make heads or tails, like maybe a ton of folks just tuned into the app right away?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The nerd audience isn't really that big. I mean, ABC counted on all the Marvel zombies to turn out for their shows, but does anyone expect Inhumans to do great?

Busty

Banned
Like it's hard to make heads or tails, like maybe a ton of folks just tuned into the app right away?

It's possible that it might adjust up some but I don't see a radical uptick.

The show, which will air only on CBS All Access for the remainder of the season, drew a good-sized audience for its premiere. ”Discovery" currently has a 1.6 rating among adults 18-49 and 8.19 million viewers. Those numbers will change some because of its odd start time — 8:48 p.m. ET following an NFL overrun and ”60 Minutes."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-24-2017/

Many people simply didn't watch it cause they know the show is behind a pay wall and rather not even bother at all. Why bother watching the first episode when you have no intention of paying $5.99 a month to watch the rest on useless streaming service with no content?

Many people simply didn't watch it cause they know the show is behind a pay wall and rather not even bother at all. Why bother watching the first episode when you have no intention of paying $5.99 a month to watch the rest on useless streaming service with no content?

CBS all access is good, imo, if youre in an area where you can watch the broadcast live, or have interest in past episodes of stuff. I probably would have paid for it, if say price is right was behind the paywell and I didnt have DVR/cable.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The nerd audience isn't really that big. I mean, ABC counted on all the Marvel zombies to turn out for their shows, but does anyone expect Inhumans to do great?

That's another show where I have no idea what it could premiere to. Already had a box office run, but that was poor. Nobody really watches these Marvel shows anyway, and this one is on Friday nights.

berzeli

Banned
Star Trek adjusted up to a 1.9
Star Trek: Discovery drew 9.6 million viewers in its Sunday premiere broadcast on CBS.

The premiere episode, which aired from 8:48-9:53 PM, also drew a 1.9 rating among adults 18-49, which is up from the fast affiliates of this morning.

CBS Research projects Star Trek: Discovery to increase to more than 15 million viewers with 7-day delayed viewing, and an additional 5%-10% with live +35 day viewing,

As Deadline reported earlier, the premiere on CBS All Access drove a record number of single day signups at CBS’ digital streaming subscription service. No specific numbers were reported, but the network says the stats outstrip the previous record spurred by the 2017 Grammy Awards in February.

berzeli

Banned
Oh, and RIP Spike TV (some date - January 18, 2018):
paramount-network-logo_highres.jpg

We’ve got an official launch date and a new logo. Paramount Network will debut on January 18. Viacom’s rebranded Spike TV will kick off at 9 PM ET/PT with a live one-hour episode of Lip Sync Battle from the Paramount lot in Hollywood. Details will be announced in the coming weeks.

Later in January, Paramount Network will premiere six-part event series Waco starring Michael Shannon, Taylor Kitsch, John Leguizamo and Melissa Benoist. The series is based on the controversial and harrowing true story of the 1993 FBI siege of a religious sect that resulted in the deadly shootout and fire and will launch just ahead of the event’s 25th anniversary.

New original scripted series coming to Paramount Network in the first part of 2018 include Yellowstone, starring Kevin Costner from writer-director Taylor Sheridan; single-camera comedy American Woman from John Wells; and Heathers, an hourlong pitch-black comedy anthology set in the present day, based on the 1988 cult classic film.

This is me. My wife and I decided not to bother with ep 1 because we're not coughing up $ for yet another streaming service. No thanks, CBS.

Joni

That's another show where I have no idea what it could premiere to. Already had a box office run, but that was poor. Nobody really watches these Marvel shows anyway, and this one is on Friday nights.
It is going to be something like 0.7 or lower. The negative attention was tremendous.

Pachimari

I got nothing to do on Friday nights, I'll sit like the Marvel zombie I am and watch Inhumans till the morning. Already been mailing to my peeps mailboxes notifying them about this week's premiere!

vypek

I got nothing to do on Friday nights, I'll sit like the Marvel zombie I am and watch Inhumans till the morning. Already been mailing to my peeps mailboxes notifying them about this week's premiere!

On Friday nights, I used to relax and enjoy Shark Tank. Now that is moving and I'm it actually bothers me a bit lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Weevilone

I was so prepared for Star Trek Discovery to only be on the stupid streaming channel that I didn't realize the pilot was on the broadcast network.

vypek

I know stuff is premiering on CBS tonight so I'll just guess for that stuff but I have ZERO sense of how they'll do so I'll guess a bit wildly and hope one of the guesses sticks :)

Big Bang Theory - 2.5
Young Sheldon 2.2
Kevin Can Wait - 1.8
Me, Myself and I - 1.6
Scorpion - 1.9

My guesses for tonight. I don't know anything about general CBS ratings though lol.

Big Bang Theory - 2.4
Young Sheldon - 2.2
Kevin Can Wait - 1.9
Me, Myself and I - 1.5
Scorpion - 2.1

berzeli

Banned
Personally I think it would allow for a better story, although I’m not sure that’s what Star Trek is about or what Star Trek fans want.
Yet again, why?

Moving a show to a different network doesn't make it magically better.
Cable has shown itself to be utterly capable of producing shows with garbage stories, hell, the flagship cable network made Vinyl. Fucking Vinyl.

It's fine but also meaningless since what matters is CBS AA numbers.

In terms of Star Trek the CBS streaming numbers are probably pretty worthless too. They're turning a profit just on the Netflix deal so unless Netflix backs out It's probably a certainty the show will be renewed.

berzeli

Banned
I nearly made a really stupid "Taylor Kitsch is sure looking good as a cult leader" thread, but yeah the first image of Spike Paramount Channel's Waco got released:
Deadline has a comparison shot:
david-koresh-taylor-kitsch-2-shot.jpg

He's doing a better acting job in that one photo than in all of True Dick season 2.

Linkura

Going to watch Good Doctor tomorrow most likely. Only because Freddie Highmore stars; it looks pretty shit otherwise.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't pay much attention to CBS ratings, so I'll whiff just as hard as I did with Discovery.

Young Sheldon - 2.4 (for consistency)

vypek

I can't see where the Kevin Can Wait thread about switching female leads is but they really glossed over the write off. I don't know if they'll mention it again but it was more like a passing comment/joke about how the mom is dead so far

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yet again, why?

Moving a show to a different network doesn't make it magically better.
Cable has shown itself to be utterly capable of producing shows with garbage stories, hell, the flagship cable network made Vinyl. Fucking Vinyl.

That's very true, which is why I am hesitant on what I am suggesting. If I am being honest I just want Game of Thrones in space...with the writing of GRRM and the spectacle of D&D.

Patryn

I can't see where the Kevin Can Wait thread about switching female leads is but they really glossed over the write off. I don't know if they'll mention it again but it was more like a passing comment/joke about how the mom is dead so far

I had it on in the background while I was doing some work, and I was amazed at how much they handwaved it away. Like two mentions, the first of which is just like "Oh, she died like a year ago. Can't people get over that?"

Slayven

I had it on in the background while I was doing some work, and I was amazed at how much they handwaved it away. Like two mentions, the first of which is just like "Oh, she died like a year ago. Can't people get over that?"

Goddamn it is like she never existed at all. No chill at all. I thought the how i met your mother finale was cold as hell.

vypek

Goddamn it is like she never existed at all. No chill at all. I thought the how i met your mother finale was cold as hell.

Yeah they really swept it away. Probably zero mentions in other episodes. Terrible

vypek

I really like Me, myself, and I.

The kid actor is great

I watched it expecting to dislike it cause I don't particularly care for Bobby Moynihan but he seemed a lot better in this to me. The kid actor and the older actor both also seemed good to me. I think I'll be sticking with this.

Pixieking

Banned
I watched it expecting to dislike it cause I don't particularly care for Bobby Moynihan but he seemed a lot better in this to me. The kid actor and the older actor both also seemed good to me. I think I'll be sticking with this.

The older actor is John Larroquette, and is consistently pretty good in everything he's in, I've found. Tempted to try the show just for him, but reviews for the first episode don't seem great. Will leave it a couple more episodes to see if it's worth spending time on.

Top Bottom