• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How many special forces shows are there going to be now? lol

tumblr_nhsimxYGvn1tk1ch1o1_500.gif

And berzeli is doing the OT for all of them.

I might, and I say might, peep Valor on The CW because Christina Ochoa is a really awesome science communicator. But I'm okay letting the rest pass me by

vypek

The older actor is John Larroquette, and is consistently pretty good in everything he's in, I've found. Tempted to try the show just for him, but reviews for the first episode don't seem great. Will leave it a couple more episodes to see if it's worth spending time on.

Thanks. I haven't heard of him before. Might try looking up other stuff he has been in then

Slayven

I watched it expecting to dislike it cause I don't particularly care for Bobby Moynihan but he seemed a lot better in this to me. The kid actor and the older actor both also seemed good to me. I think I'll be sticking with this.
I kept waiting for Bobby to do something wacky, but he was ok. Not the best part but not as bad as it could have been. I like that the stepbrother didn't fall into the jerk trope.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hot damn, you could have two hours of special forces television on Mondays and another hour on Wednesdays. Then watch reruns of Flashpoint on Ion Television every other day of the week!

Slayven

Last year they put up eps of the new shows on demand a little while before their premiere. No one is doing that this year?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Can I watch Top of the Lake S2 without watching the first season, or are they connected?

I've only watched 4/6 episodes from Season 2, but I think you'll be fine. Obviously some things will have a bigger impact, but they explain the significance.

Edit: The Youngest of Sheldons is a monster. Also, I was bracing for The Good Doctor to do alright. It was near the top of US trends on Twitter for awhile last night. People seemed into it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Young Sheldon was pretty good. Love the fact that there's no laugh track.
It's like the complete opposite of BBT. It's single cam, no laugh track, no one-liners and it's sweet. I liked it.

Thanks. I haven't heard of him before. Might try looking up other stuff he has been in then
Night Court is a great 80's comedy he was in that I was way too young to be watching as a kid but loved it anyway.

vypek

Eww Scorpion.....it was fun while it lasted

I kinda like Scorpion. Its full of such stupid scenarios that over-the-top ridiculous that it is pretty funny to laugh at even as a drama. But yeah, things are not looking great for it. lol

Night Court is a great 80's comedy he was in that I was way too young to be watching as a kid but loved it anyway.

I've heard of that but have never seen it. I'll have to look into it.

For some reason I thought Young Sheldon was going to be a bit more comedic. It wasn't a bad episode but the show didn't keep any strong interest from me. What is the regular night for it? Seems next week its not in the same time slot. Also, I forgot that Sheldon had a brother. I don't remember mention of him in Big Bang Theory

Slayven

I kinda like Scorpion. Its full of such stupid scenarios that over-the-top ridiculous that it is pretty funny to laugh at even as a drama. But yeah, things are not looking great for it. lol

I've heard of that but have never seen it. I'll have to look into it.

For some reason I thought Young Sheldon was going to be a bit more comedic. It wasn't a bad episode but the show didn't keep any strong interest from me. What is the regular night for it? Seems next week its not in the same time slot. Also, I forgot that Sheldon had a brother. I don't remember mention of him in Big Bang Theory

Yeah Scorpion is fun popcorn tv, I can see them giving a petty 5th season just to get enough for syndication.

They mention his brother and his sister was seen in the first season.

- Sunday cable numbers
Two weeks after airing its most-watched episode ever with the Season 3 premiere, “Outlander” set a new high Sunday night.

The Starz series delivered 1.55 million viewers, topping its previous high of 1.49 million in the season premiere. Its adults 18-49 rating of 0.3 was even with the previous week.

“Rick & Morty” again led Sunday in the 18-49 demographic with a 1.5, up a tenth of a point vs. last week. “Fear the Walking Dead” (0.8) also ticked up.

The season finale of “Ballers” was steady at 0.4 on HBO. “The Deuce” continued its growth with 992,000 viewers (vs. 839,000 a week earlier) and a 0.3 rating, even with last week. “Vice Principals” (0.3) was also steady, and “Last Week Tonight” returned from a brief hiatus to a 0.4.
Outlander continuing to do very well for Starz.

vypek

Yeah Scorpion is fun popcorn tv, I can see them giving a petty 5th season just to get enough for syndication.

They mention his brother and his sister was seen in the first season.

I could definitely see it being in syndication on myNetworkTV, TNT, or USA.

Ah, okay. I remember seeing the sister show up. But forgot any mention of his brother.

G0523

Shocking no one, the Young Sheldon gamble seems to have paid off at least for the premiere

Fast-Demo-2017-Sep-25.MON_.png

Wow! ABC and CBS did really well last night! Good for them! Also, ABC now has a new hit with The Good Doctor. God damn! It overperformed and did extremely well, besting DWTS by quite a margin!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Strong start for Good Doctor and Young Sheldon.

Everything else?

Eh.

I'd say that those numbers are pretty good for everything that premiered. Now, how much of this is first episode sampling and how much will stick, that I can't say. For example, the Brave premiered with a demo comparable to last season's Blindspot or Timeless. Me, Myself, and I premiered above last season's premiere of Life in Pieces. God help us, but Kevin Can Wait has kept its audience from last year's premiere somehow. In general I'd have expected just about all of the premieres to be lower than they were.

vypek

I'd say that those numbers are pretty good for everything that premiered. Now, how much of this is first episode sampling and how much will stick, that I can't say. For example, the Brave premiered with a demo comparable to last season's Blindspot or Timeless. Me, Myself, and I premiered above last season's premiere of Life in Pieces. God help us, but Kevin Can Wait has kept its audience from last year's premiere somehow. In general I'd have expected just about all of the premieres to be lower than they were.

This could be related to people hearing about the removal of an actress and Remini being cast as a regular

kurahador

I was really nervous after watching People Of Earth finale because of its massive cliffhanger.
Then I read that TBS already renewed it. Woohooo.

Wow thats good all those BigBang fans stuck with young sheldon, they should keep it airing on the same night after BigBang. Though I guess the true test is how does young sheldon perform without BigBang.

Variety on rising costs in television:

- Variety: TV Series Budgets Hit the Breaking Point as Costs Skyrocket in Peak TV Era
The estimates on the cost of content that emerged from these interviews peg the typical range of the production budget for high-end cable and streaming dramas at $5 million-$7 million an hour, while single-camera half hours on broadcast and cable run from $1.5 million to more than $3 million. With the exception of HBO, which made its mark with lavish productions, that’s a significant increase, during just the past five years, over what had been $3 million-$4 million for cable dramas and around $1 million-$1.5 million for single-camera half hours.

And Netflix often exceeds the new, higher averages. The first season of its supernatural sensation “Stranger Things” was shot to look like a 1980s Steven Spielberg movie and came with a price tag of $6 million an episode for season one, rising to $8 million in season two. Netflix’s sumptuous period drama “The Crown” cost an estimated $10 million an episode.

Bigger, bolder production values aren’t the only expense; talent also costs a pretty penny.
The inflationary effect of this growth bleeds into virtually every aspect of production. The below-the-line increases can be eye-popping. Yet the biggest driver of costs remains the seller’s market for creative talent. Jeff Wachtel, chief content officer for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, likens the current employment dynamic to that of athletes when sports leagues decide to add teams.

“Peak TV has created an expansion-league environment,” Wachtel says. “Actors and writers and directors who used to compete for jobs are now having studios compete over them.”

Industry sources say writers and producers who might have been making less than $20,000 an episode a few years ago are now able to command loftier job titles and fees closer to $40,000-$50,000 or more.

Also:
- Variety: Will Out-of-Control Episode Costs Kill Peak TV?
- Variety: Taking the Wrong Lessons from the Success of ‘Game of Thrones’

So is The Brave like Strike Back without the fun?
Its generic as hell until the cliff-hanger ending
Mission successful, chilling on a beach in Turkey with locals... Suicide bomber truck comes driving in and blows up on the beach.
I guess the only remotely "unique" element so far is a female sniper as one of the bros.

berzeli

Banned
Some of those articles are conflating points (especially when it comes to streaming and the costs for licensing), but it's an interesting read.

However, I'm still annoyed at "The Crown costs $10 million per episode", Peter Morgan has repeatedly stated that the $100 million figure that was floating around was for the two first seasons. So unless something has changed it's half that.

also:
TNT’s one-and-done period drama “Will” required $5 million-$6 million an episode, even though it was shot in Wales with mostly up-and-coming actors.
That's... that's even dumber than the premise of the show.
and:
Variety redesigned their website, and it's better!? (at least at a first glance)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Writers get to get so loaded, like write just like 5 or 6 episodes a year and you get $100K easy.

Well, sure, except you are also part of a writer's room for 4-6 months of that year, can't take other work, have to pay a 10% fee to your agent, fees to your managers, 1.5% WGA dues, taxes, you live in the second most expensive city in the country, you have no job security, even if you're mostly sure you'll get laid it's difficult to look for other work, if you get laid off at a weird time there'll be no work for the rest of the year, and to become a writer you typically need to work your way up the rungs during which time you're being paid peanuts.

I'm not saying you'd rather manage a McDonalds but it's not like all the Hollyweird Bigshots Are Living Large. The average staff writer today has a very middle class life. And the primary upward class mobility (residuals and EP credits on long-running shows that do well in syndication) is getting less common not more.

Linkura

Ok I'm like 10 minutes into The Good Doctor and it's pretty shit other than Freddie Highmore. So about what I expected.

maxcriden

Ok I'm like 10 minutes into The Good Doctor and it's pretty shit other than Freddie Highmore. So about what I expected.

Dang, tempted not to even bother. Will give it a try I guess. And I suppose a lot of shows get more interesting after the pilot. But I'm not excited to hear this.

Linkura

I'm curious to read reviews of this after I finish the episode. If people think it's good, well...

Fake edit: 33% on RT LMAO

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dang, tempted not to even bother. Will give it a try I guess. And I suppose a lot of shows get more interesting after the pilot. But I'm not excited to hear this.
The pilot is so bog standard it's crazy. It felt like a TV Tropes entry come to life.

Kin5290

tumblr_nhsimxYGvn1tk1ch1o1_500.gif

And berzeli is doing the OT for all of them.

I might, and I say might, peep Valor on The CW because Christina Ochoa is a really awesome science communicator. But I'm okay letting the rest pass me by
Valor looks like it easily might be the worst of the lot, mixing the military setting with CW soapiness. Seeing Ochoa running around with a long ponytail while in uniform raised some red flags already.

Top Bottom