• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2024 |OT| We are the ones who dwell within

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
egZZT6q.jpeg

Here I am again! As the last survivor of the original MovieGAF I have been tasked by the spirits of scary movies to make a yearly horror movie thread or I shall suffer the consequences.

The only rule: post something about the movie you have watched, not just the title. Oh and don't split up.

Some resources for people without inspiration on what to watch:

They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? is a list of 1000 horror movies that was compiled using 2,614 lists taken from various critics/polls/magazines/books/websites/forums/horror fans...

100 European Horror Films are the movies taken from the BFI book by the same name.

IMDb's Horror Top 50 is a query that displays the 50 best horror movies according to IMDb. Still 5 one there that I haven't watched!

Have fun and be careful!!

25383.gif

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
And my opening movie was...

#1 Baghead (2023)

Baghead-Frontpage-750x400.jpg

...absolute shit. Story made zero sense, no one acted like how you would normal people expect to, and the SFX felt super cheap.

Mr Blobby

Grave Torture (2024)

Grave torture is the belief that if you reject religion or are morally dubious during your life you are going to be eternally tormented when dead and buried. Indonesian movie about a lady trying ascertain whether grave torture does exist... by getting buried with one such heathen. Points for originality but it just seemed like a religious scare campaign. Some cheap scare tactics don't make much of a scary film.

I watched The Substance.

Interesting... Interesting film. Had to look away a few times and I can see why people ran out - horrific at times...

Worth the watch though for the message it conveys and what it's zeroing in on. 👌

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Last night the kids and I watched Gremlins. It felt more like a Christmas movie.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Film 2: House on Haunted Hill
Pretty great remake of the original. The guy the got to play Vincent Price ("Mr. Price") was honestly pretty great in the role. Some fun jump scares, but this felt like a bit of a "scooby-doo" style scary.

Film 3: Ghoulies
Loved it, loved the puppets, loved the stupid premise. Got away with tons considering it's PG-13 rating (though this came out shortly after that rating was introduced).

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Giving Jigsaw his moment, it’s completely different horror, if it were up to me John wouldn’t have died in saw 2 or 3 it caused a lot of confusion in later entries.

film smile GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

Where does GAF stand on SAW?

MV5BMWI2OWFjNjgtOTQ2Zi00MjlmLTg2MGYtNmE4MjMyZjIzMDA0XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Also watched “speak no evil” very good movie for couples, respect to James mcavoy on the extreme mood swings.

jshackles

Film 4: Spookies
This is a really fucked up movie with a terrible plot, bad sound design, and really outdated tropes. However, (mostly) great monster effects, so it gets a bit of a pass. Unexplained farting mummies - priceless.

Film 5: Amityville Horror (2005)
It's hard to take Ryan Reynolds seriously, though he does a good job in this. Produced by Michael Bay (lol). Some actually decent jump scares and some legit scary sequences, but this was still a bit of a mess of a movie.

Mr Blobby

Giving Jigsaw his moment, it’s completely different horror, if it were up to me John wouldn’t have died in saw 2 or 3 it caused a lot of confusion in later entries.

film smile GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

Where does GAF stand on SAW?

MV5BMWI2OWFjNjgtOTQ2Zi00MjlmLTg2MGYtNmE4MjMyZjIzMDA0XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Also watched “speak no evil” very good movie for couples, respect to James mcavoy on the extreme mood swings.
Nice, I like James Mcavoy. Haven't seen this one, but if you get the chance check out the original Danish one. Absolutely brutal.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

house-of-spoils.jpg

House of Spoils
#2 Bad.
I stopped watching half way through; it' just wasn't believable.. If you want to open up a high class restaurant, would you really invite your investors into a decrepit building and cook in a dirty, moldy kitchen?
Would a cook aspiring for greatness use the standard cookbook of her mentor? (and need to look up those recipes; she should know them by heart, having worked in his restaurant the last few years..)
After, obviously, failing to impress the investor, she has some sort of mental break and starts eating mystery plants and cooking with bugs and mold...

The 90's horror era was pretty shit to tbh
The 90's had The Exorcist III, It, Jacob's Ladder, Tremors, Candyman, In The Mouth Of Madness, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Wishmaster, Mimic, Ringu, Event Horizon, Cronos, and Scream amongst others.

Watched John Carpenter's Halloween and Rob Zombie's remake. The original has not aged that well but the heavy white trash psycho angle and the cringe of modern highschool girl dialogue make the remake so much worse.
256b645267f77d2b93cacda9609111c3.jpg

Last edited:
Showing its age but that ending is fucking brilliant.
After having read Stephen King's original novella I have grown to dislike it. The ending in the original is open ended and optimistic. The ending of this adaptation is pessimistic and sneeringly ironic. I really should watch it in black and white though.

The 90's had The Exorcist III, It, Jacob's Ladder, Tremors, Candyman, In The Mouth Of Madness, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Wishmaster, Mimic, Ringu, Event Horizon, Cronos, and Scream amongst others
True, true but (although excellent movies) they didn't put a dent in pop culture like the icons of old. Maybe that is asking too much.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
After having read Stephen King's original novella I have grown to dislike it. The ending in the original is open ended and optimistic. The ending of this adaptation is pessimistic and sneeringly ironic. I really should watch it in black and white though.

I love unhappy wtf endings.

Ive read a fair few King books back in the day but never this one.

clarky

Gold Member
It was never a book. It was a 90 page story inside an anthology called Dark Forces published in the 80s. Ironically might be his best work though.
Probably why id never come across it. Went through a phase of nothing but King for a year or so in my later teens. i might check it out, cheers.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Caveat (2020)

Had heard many good things online about this one, with the usual "it's super scary and creepy" descriptions.

Watched it last night and the first half (especially the beginning) had promise. And then the plot just goes nowhere with things happening and no explanations. It's like they filmed two separate stories and mixed up the footage. It could have gone in either direction (thriller/mystery or horror) and instead fails at both.

Some cool ideas (one involving a toy dummer rabbit) that are ruined.

2/5

Top Bottom