• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360: NCAA Official Season 1 Thread of Stiff Arming and Spinning at the Same Time!

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
League Commish: (undetermined) GCQuinton is more than likely going to be the driver, but we will leave it open for another week. If you have what it takes to lead this ship a-sail convince us why. Quinton has a pretty nice self deemed resume to compete with, so good luck!

a_rockytop.jpg

(Stole most of this from FMT's thread.)

League supports 12 human players. So, lets get the 12 together!

This will only be a DYNASTY not just a season as I once suggested. CGQuinton enlightened us to some great aspects about a dynasty and it was a group choice.

1. I don't even know why I'm posting this since it should go without saying, but in case we end up with any new people in the season: play legit. no bullshit tactics etc. Reference the Madden season threads for a general understanding of what legit is.

3. probably have a 2-3 day time period in which you can play games. We are looking for a quicker season.

4. its true that vets will have priority in joining the league. hate to be a dick about it but we have to have dependable people!

5. Post your Gamertag followed by the team you want. Its not set in stone that we will be using the SEC exclusively so pick an SEC team as well as just any team you want.

interested? then post!

Vets List

SpoonKiIIah - Tennessee (at Knoxville)
bdosg - Texas Tech
pheeniks - Texas or Florida
Striker029 - Penn State, Rutgers, or UCLA (SEC - Arkansas)
BirdBomb - Texas or LSU
Qbert420 - Kansas
GCQuinton - Mississippi State
Eric WK - USC or Georgia
DammitMatt - Auburn

Newer Comers List

KamikazePIPBoy - Illinois or Alabama
armubaba - Michigan or LSU
bobdigi33 - Ohio State or South Carolina
Cubanb49 - California Golden Bears

Bold denotes a known reliable player. Known reliable players get priority on teams over new comers. Its nothing against the first timers but we aren't 100% sure you won't just flake out.

vumpler

Striker said:
So SEC it is? Seems like it. But the Big East would also be fun, I think. :p
I'm not completely sure about the way the league is setup. I believe we can pick to select any team in the nation since we are doing a regular season. Now as far as a Dynasty goes where you will be recruiting players, it would make a lot more sense to stay in one division.

I will look into it more.

Striker

What would make this shit fun is being in the same conference, everybody being scheduled to play one another, and winning a crown (conference title). Season mode style would be meh.

vumpler

Striker said:
What would make this shit fun is being in the same conference, everybody being scheduled to play one another, and winning a crown (conference title). Season mode style would be meh.
How would it be any different? If we did season mode everyone would get to be the team they want. Everyone will still play one another, and they can win the Red Ring of Gaf Crown.

Striker: Don't get me wrong, I'm fully down with going all SEC however I can't see everyone seeing eye to eye with that. I just want to look at all angles and see what would be best for the group of 12 guys we put together.

daw840

Aww, c'mon. I should get a bold name on the list. I was in every season of Madden 08 (the cursed seasons, but still)

......yes I am just an idiot, should have read the thread:lol

Striker

vumpler said:
How would it be any different? If we did season mode everyone would get to be the team they want. Everyone will still play one another, and they can win the Red Ring of Gaf Crown.
I see your point.

I guess I'll focus strongly on my own Dynasty first then if we grab committed players, we'll do more online. :p

If we aren't using the same conferences, I'll use Penn State, Rutgers, or UCLA.

BTW, conferences/team selection.
ACC
Atlantic Division - Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Maryland, NC State, Wake Forest
Coastal Division - Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Virginia Tech

Big East
Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse and West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida

Big Ten
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big XII
North - Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska
South - Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Conference USA
East - UAB, UCF, East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, Southern Miss
West - Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa

MAC
East - Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, Miami University, Ohio, Temple
West - Ball St, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan

Mountain West
Air Force, BYU, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, TCU, UNLV, Utah, Wyoming

PAC10
Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

Sun Belt
Arkansas State, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, MTSU, North Texas, Troy, Florida Atlantic, Florida International

SEC
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

WAC
Boise State, Fresno State, Idaho, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State

vumpler

daw840 said:
Aww, c'mon. I should get a bold name on the list. I was in every season of Madden 08 (the cursed seasons, but still)

Vumpler, why is your name not on the list?

It is. Look at post 2 :D

Striker

daw840 said:

Vumpler, why is your name not on the list?

edit: How many people are we going to need to have a league?
I think it's 12 for online dynasty, but if we're NOT doing a dynasty first, but instead a season, the number can be 50 if we wanted...

Vumpler:

SEC isn't a bother. Big East, I think, would be fun too. Should have made this thread a poll. :p

If we decide to do a dynasty, then it's simple. We decide by counting posts!

EDIT: Durr, realized Big East only has 8 teams. Big 10 has 11.

vumpler

Striker said:
I think it's 12 for online dynasty, but if we're NOT doing a dynasty first, but instead a season, the number can be 50 if we wanted...

Vumpler:

SEC isn't a bother. Big East, I think, would be fun too. Should have made this thread a poll. :p

If we decide to do a dynasty, then it's simple. We decide by counting posts!
Starting out of the gate with a dynasty can not end well. The true test will be once madden is released to see how many stay.

We have to see if we can keep 12 players together for one season first before madden comes out to see if we could keep 12 together for multiple seasons after it is released.

It should be a quick season. I think we should set the play time to 2-3 days. I can't realistically understand holding someone / or even committing myself to multiple seasons for a game that isn't released yet. There could be game breaking flaws or any number of issues. If people really do want a dynasty whats the addition of a warm up season? Not much. It can only be for the best.

daw840

After seeing the ratings for the Chiefs next year, I will probably stick with NCAA....that and FMT is going to be in the PS3 league, and I am not spending $500 just to play on the PS3 instead of the 360

vumpler

daw840 said:
After seeing the ratings for the Chiefs next year, I will probably stick with NCAA....that and FMT is going to be in the PS3 league, and I am not spending $500 just to play on the PS3 instead of the 360
Don't get down just yet daw. Team ratings haven't meant a whole lot in the last few years. Rookies are getting low overall ratings but their actual ratings in each skill are still awesome. I think they will be a lot better than you expect them to be. That studly draft can't be overlooked.

daw840

vumpler said:
Don't get down just yet daw. Team ratings haven't meant a whole lot in the last few years. Rookies are getting low overall ratings but their actual ratings in each skill are still awesome. I think they will be a lot better than you expect them to be. That studly draft can't be overlooked.

This is very true.

bdoughty

Banned
We do need to figure out if we are going with a conference or any team. If you want to call this a warmup to a dynasty that is fine. Then those of us who plan to keep the game can start an online dynasty. The only snag to running a season is it makes all the recruiting in the dynasty moot. I wonder if the admin of the league can disable recruiting or make it automated if we only stick to a season?

I keep NCAA every year, usually longer than Madden. I would be interested in a dynasty league for the long haul after the season.

* If we decide not to use a conference mode for the season, put me down for Texas Tech.

GCQuinton

I've decided to go with the Xbox 360 version over the PS3, so count me in. Dynasty/Franchise has pretty much been my area since I started playing NCAA and Madden, so if you can't find/don't wanna be a commish vump I'll throw my name in the hat and take it up.

If we go past more than one season and start a dynasty with reliable players though, I really suggest opening it up to pick whatever team you want. Keeping everyone in the same conference is okay, but I'd imagine we actually wanna get a few seasons done, get into some bowl games, and not directly recruit on top of each other all the time.

SEC Choice: Miss. State
Open Choice: UNC

vumpler

dammitmattt said:
Nice matt! I was hoping you would come represent Auburn. Wasn't sure if you were going to be in the PS3 league , 360, or both :)

vumpler

bdoughty said:
We do need to figure out if we are going with a conference or any team. If you want to call this a warmup to a dynasty that is fine. Then those of us who plan to keep the game can start an online dynasty. The only snag to running a season is it makes all the recruiting in the dynasty moot. I wonder if the admin of the league can disable recruiting or make it automated if we only stick to a season?

Bdoughty I see your point, however its hard to know if someone is going to definitely stay around for multiple seasons of a dynasty. After one season everyone will know if they would stay or not.

GCQuinton said:
1. I'll throw my name in the hat

2. I really suggest opening it up to pick whatever team you want. Keeping everyone in the same conference is okay, but I'd imagine we actually wanna get a few seasons done, get into some bowl games, and not directly recruit on top of each other all the time.

1. Sweet I'll throw your name on the list of people interested up top.

2. The vibe I've been getting from everyone was that you want to do one conference so that you are recruiting on top of each other. Otherwise it may turn into all 99 rated overall teams after 3 years into the dynasty.

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
2. The vibe I've been getting from everyone was that you want to do one conference so that you are recruiting on top of each other. Otherwise it may turn into all 99 rated overall teams after 3 years into the dynasty.

Having played 11 years in my NCAA '08 dynasty and a 15 year one in '07, trust me when I say that's not the case anymore. To EA's credit, they've actually tightened that up quite a bit. And when it comes to the five and four star players, we'll be recruiting against each other anyway no matter what school we have since there are less of them.

If you're playing a top-tier school it's easier as it should be, but the days of bringing in an entire class of five and four star players are over unless you're only adding about 8-10 players each season. And even then, if any of those don't sign with you you might be screwed depending on how far along in the season you are.

All that said, either way I'm fine but it'll definitely move faster if it was open.

TheCrow

If we are not doing SEC only put me down for Illinois. I won't be getting madden so I won't have a problem sticking with the dynasty.

jjasper

I like the OP. I would join you guys since it looks like the PS3 is all full and us guys are doing SEC. but I am going to be moving into a new place next month so things are going to be hectic and I can't committ (and I don't currently have live)

GCQuinton

I had a little bit of time to kill, so I wanted to run this by everyone to get their thoughts on this. If I do wind up becoming the commish (which is what it's looking like), most of the common sense things that vumpler already listed like playing on time, playing legit, etc. will stand. I did wanna change a few things up, though:

1. I think I'm gonna go with my gut and allow people to pick whatever team they want. While I'm sure some think it's a good idea to all play in the same conference, I can guarantee you after a season or two you'll get bored with it when more than half of you don't qualify for bowls/post-season play or can't recruit the way you want to.

2. To make sure that we do play each other with some regularity, it'd be a requirement to play at least four (or five if you want to) human opponents in a season. If you're in a conference with another human opponent and play them anyway, you'd have to schedule at least three OOC games against a human player. And so on, and so on...

With this (unless you're in the same conference), OOC schedules against human opponents will rotate at a healthy pace and it stays fresh. If you wanna pick a rival and make sure you play them every season in your own "Classic/Rivalry" game, then go for it.

3. Unlike vumpler's initial OP, this will be a DYNASTY and not a SEASON. If we make it through the first season and people decide to leave, that's completely fine as well since you can do so at any point in the dynasty.

Being a dynasty, a cool thing about this to me at least is whoever decides to take up the teams of people who leave will also inherit their schedules (if they drop mid-season), as well as their recruiting and roster actions. Unlike previous leagues, you're not just finishing out the season to do it, you're taking over the program where they left off no matter what shape they left it in.

Thoughts?

vumpler

GCQuinton said:
Being a dynasty, a cool thing about this to me at least is whoever decides to take up the teams of people who leave will also inherit their schedules (if they drop mid-season), as well as their recruiting and roster actions. Unlike previous leagues, you're not just finishing out the season to do it, you're taking over the program where they left off no matter what shape they left it in.

Thoughts?
I like this part. So realistically its like the Coach just walked away from the team or got fired mid season. I like it.

As long as you don't mind if I step out after the first season, then I'm in with it being a dynasty from day one.

If the game is everything I'm hoping it will be, then I will keep it. However if the game has several game breaking flaws, or the gameplay is a lot different then Madden I might find myself stepping away.

Like I said, if you're converting to dynasty and allowing players to step away after 1 complete season then I'm in. :D

I'm just really skeptical about the online Dynasty mode and don't really know what I'm getting into by signing on for multiple seasons, does that make sense?

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
I like this part. So realistically its like the Coach just walked away from the team or got fired mid season. I like it.

As long as you don't mind if I step out after the first season, then I'm in with it being a dynasty from day one.

If the game is everything I'm hoping it will be, then I will keep it. However if the game has several game breaking flaws, or the gameplay is a lot different then Madden I might find myself stepping away.

Like I said, if you're converting to dynasty and allowing players to step away after 1 complete season then I'm in. :D

I'm just really skeptical about the online Dynasty mode and don't really know what I'm getting into by signing on for multiple seasons, does that make sense?

Yeah, it completely makes sense. In fact, I'm expecting people to come and go as it progresses but everything will keep moving along in real-time. Then when you come back to check in and someone's taken the QB you recruited and made him and all-star his junior year you'll wanna come back :D

bdoughty

Banned
I will go with whatever you decide to do, I just want to play some football. I might switch from Texas Tech to a more balanced offense.

P.S. I am assuming we will at least wait for someone at OS or other place to finish the rosters first? You usually get a pretty descent roster up by the time the game is released nowadays and it is easy to get them now (through the locker).

GCQuinton

Yeah, they'll probably be a two week window between the game's release and the actual start of the dynasty for that and other "forces of nature", including: waiting for people to get the game, the inevitable drop from people who don't come back, RROD, change of hearts, establishing a replacements list, etc.

vumpler

GCQuinton said:
Yeah, they'll probably be a two week window between the game's release and the actual start of the dynasty for that and other "forces of nature", including: waiting for people to get the game, the inevitable drop from people who don't come back, RROD, change of hearts, establishing a replacements list, etc.
Woah 2 weeks? ...

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
Woah 2 weeks? ...

I did say probably. Keep in mind we're also gonna have to all agree on game settings (unless we're rolling with 6 min. All-American default like the last time), because we are going to be playing CPU opponents now. Having that established is gonna be important too.

As soon as rosters are ready, which for the last few years has been before or shortly after launch, and everyone's agreed on the game settings we can start.

vumpler

I would say all american because any higher and its just stupid playing the CPU. We want them to be almost gimmie wins. That would suck the CPU stopping your undefeated season. I actually detest the fact that we have to play the CPU.

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
I would say all american because any higher and its just stupid playing the CPU. We want them to be almost gimmie wins. That would suck the CPU stopping your undefeated season. I actually detest the fact that we have to play the CPU.

? If anything, the CPU games should be just as challenging (playing humans are a whole different deal) if the game does its job. Then again, if you want it that way you can always schedule cupcakes. That'll be on you, but your bowl bid chances will get hurt for it.

Like I mentioned earlier though, I played 11 seasons on 08 and a good part of that was on All-American which played a decent game. We'll see how it is when 09 comes out before deciding.

Striker

I'm not sure if this is, in fact, true, but in this July's Game Informer magazine, it talks this about NCAA 09.

It says you may EITHER:

- select and use any conference

or

- select teams and create a new conference

Has anybody else read this?

GCQuinton

Striker said:
I'm not sure if this is, in fact, true, but in this July's Game Informer magazine, it talks this about NCAA 09.

It says you may EITHER:

- select and use any conference

or

- select teams and create a new conference

Has anybody else read this?

Yeah, you can. Either way, I still think everyone being in one conference will get boring fast for reasons already stated.

daw840

Alright guys, I am kind of lost on this whole dynasty thing. I am totally down to play in the league, but I have never done anything like this. Please don't totally ridicule me for asking stupid questions once this is under way (a little ridicule is ok:D ).

Striker

GCQuinton said:
Yeah, you can. Either way, I still think everyone being in one conference will get boring fast for reasons already stated.
Why not do that?...

And isn't the point of this online dynasty is to have everybody competing against each other every year? Can we schedule ourselves to face one another and be in separate conferences? Maybe we can do two conferences with six per included?

Striker

daw840 said:
Alright guys, I am kind of lost on this whole dynasty thing. I am totally down to play in the league, but I have never done anything like this. Please don't totally ridicule me for asking stupid questions once this is under way (a little ridicule is ok:D ).
Doing a dynasty will rock, because recruiting against other humans and building your schools in the process will be awesome. At least it will be to me.

We need to set this thing up right, that's all. :p

daw840

Striker said:
Doing a dynasty will rock, because recruiting against other humans and building your schools in the process will be awesome. At least it will be to me.

We need to set this thing up right, that's all. :p

The concept sounds awesome. But, I just need to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do. :)

GCQuinton

Striker said:
Why not do that?...

And isn't the point of this online dynasty is to have everybody competing against each other every year? Can we schedule ourselves to face one another and be in separate conferences? Maybe we can do two conferences with six per included?

Yes, you can play in one conference and schedule up to five out of conference games which is what I proposed in an earlier post (I'd require at least four).

According to the GI article, we can set our own conferences, so there might be a way to work around this to get what everyone wants. Up to four people can decide to replace one of the independents with their team, and theoretically play all human opponents if they schedule it like that. The other eight people can do a human/CPU mix.

Keep in mind that since someone's on the other end, they have to agree to play the games too.

Striker

That sounds good there.

I'll use the Penn State, Rutgers, and UCLA list for now. I'll choose one and let you know. :p

Is anyone thinking about going with a Mid Major Team? Im actually considering playing with Kent State(my Alma Mater) instead of Ohio State. I always play with them on my normal dynasty due to the challenging recruiting and being able to schedule big conference teams for a challenge on the field. Also does anyone know if there are coach contracts on the online dynasty. For example on all the previous games if you had a couple of good seasons you get job offers from other schools and jump ship for a big name program.

Top Bottom