• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS] Ace Combat Assault Horizon: Legacy |OT| Better than Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Yuterald

609543_214052_front.jpg

Developer: Project Aces & Access Games
Composer: Go Shiina
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Price: $39.99

Features:
-Remake of Ace Combat 2.
-Touch Screen Targeting.
-New attack & evasive maneuver controls (similar to Sky Crawlers).
-Pilot fleets or real-world aircraft in a not so real world.
-Planes & parts to purchase with credits earned from gaining higher ranks.
-Branching mission paths.
-Free play mission mode and extra survival unlockable missions.
-Medals & A Ranks galore to earn!

609543_20111115_screen005.jpg
609543_20111115_screen004.jpg
609543_20111115_screen003.jpg

609543_20110607_screen002.jpg
609543_20110607_screen003.jpg
609543_20110607_screen001.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Ac3bf39w0

GAF Impressions:
I picked up Ace Combat today. I'm only a few missions in, but if you like classic Ace Combat, it seems like a much better game than Assault Horizon. Right from the beginning you get the awesome music, a cheesy story where you face down rival ace squadrons, and other things that make Ace Combat what it should be.

- It has 'maneuvers', but they aren't nearly as intrusive or shitty as in Assault Horizon. If you played Sky Crawlers on the Wii, you know how the offensive maneuvers work (only there are only two stages instead of three, and your lock-on is less effective and shorter in duration, since Ace Combat has missiles). If not, the short version is: As you fly close to a target that you've locked on to, a gauge charges up. When it charges up, either to the halfway point or to full, you can hit a button to enter a small animation that ends up with you behind the target, putting you in a better position to fire at them. So far, though, it's not like Assault Horizon, where you almost need to use it in order to hit any enemy stronger than a fodder pilot. You can play without it, and it's like any other Ace Combat game.
The defensive maneuvers are fairly simple: When a missile gets close enough to you, part of your HUD turns yellow, indicating whether you need to roll left or right. If you pull the analog pad to the proper direction and hit the maneuver button, you dodge the missile. There seem to be two variants: One where you just do a quick roll that lets the missile pass you by (the camera never changes and you otherwise don't change course or direction), and one where you actually end up behind the enemy and are more easily able to move into position for a counter-attack. I'm not sure what triggers which version.

- There are branching missions, although I'm not sure yet how extensive the branching is, or if you eventually need to complete them all.

- The plane customization is reasonably fleshed out, and not unfamiliar to anyone who's played earlier Ace Combat games. You buy planes and upgrades with Credits that you earn during missions; there are new planes to buy, each plane comes with one Special Weapon and can unlock two others, plus you can unlock upgrades to your Engine, Wings, Cockpit, and Armor, along with different paint schemes.

- Edge can be your wingman. (Also "Slash". Supposedly it's a remake of Ace Combat 2, but I don't remember anything about AC2 so I can't say how much of the mission or story content is actually different.)

So far, it's doing a pretty good job of washing the bad taste of Assault Horizon out of my mouth. It seems like it's going to at least be an 'average' Ace Combat game, which makes it 'pretty damn awesome' in the grand scale of things.

Picked up Ace Combat. Pretty good so far - the 3D is very subtle, but really pops in cockpit mode.

a response to this positive review...http://www.fanbolt.com/headline/12064/Ace_Combat:_Assault_Horizon_Legacy_Review:_Fun_Air_Combat_Action_On_The_3DS

I have Ace Combat and pretty much agree with all of what they said. I can't wait to import the Frankenstick and try it with that.

This looks pretty cool. If it came out at a better time I'd probably buy it, but with so much other stuff (and the 2 Mario games on 3DS) I don't know if I want to take a chance on it.

Star Fox and Rouge Squadron are two of my favorite games though, and I've had an itch for a new arcadey dogfighting game for a long time.

My schedule is a little hectic with finals in a couple weeks too. I'm thinking I might pick this up over Christmas break to have something new to mess around with.

Yuterald

This looks pretty cool. If it came out at a better time I'd probably buy it, but with so much other stuff (and the 2 Mario games on 3DS) I don't know if I want to take a chance on it.

Star Fox and Rouge Squadron are two of my favorite games though, and I've had an itch for a new arcadey dogfighting game for a long time.

My schedule is a little hectic with finals in a couple weeks too. I'm thinking I might pick this up over Christmas break to have something new to mess around with.

Yeah, I know it has been difficult to prioritize with all these new games that have come out. It's an exceptional Ace Combat title though and should not be overlooked. At first glance I think a lot of people are going to think this game is an inferior version/downgrade from the HD game, but it's sooooooooo much better.

As some of the impressions have already stated, it feels like a CLASSIC Ace Combat game. I'm halfway through normal mode and loving it. Oh, and the OST and sound design is amazing! Check these out. It's like impossible to find music uploads for this game though. The first one listed is so cool, but I think the user uploaded it straight from his 3DS speakers, lol!

I just found out who the composer was too! It's Go Shiina!

Track 17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6KgScMow8&feature=related

Theme of Beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpwdbOtO7A&feature=related

Theme of Lancer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlKa38G8js&feature=related

This will most likely be my first 3DS game. :) I have Ace Combat fever right now. Though it's going to be hard to go back to PS2ish graphics, since I'm playing Ace Combat 6 right now, which is beautiful.

First game I bought for my original Playstation was Air (not Ace yet) Combat. Loved the series back then, and the PS2 games. Cool to see a stealth remake of Ace Combat 2!

Nice job OP! I will pick this up before I fly home for Christmas.

Yuterald

This will most likely be my first 3DS game. :) I have Ace Combat fever right now. Though it's going to hard to go back to PS2ish graphics, since I'm playing Ace Combat 6 right now, which is beautiful.

Cool, you won't be disappointed! If you really dig the AC 4, 5, and Zero era then you are going to fall in love with this one. =)

After playing it for a few hours, I'll upgrade my "pretty good" to a "great". There seems to be a lot of variety in the missions, and I really like the partner pilots you can choose from on missions, too. The combat maneuvers are handled really well, too. It doesn't feel like you're forced to use them in order to make it through the game (except for dodging). I never got to play AC2, so I'm not sure if this is worth a pickup for people that have already played it - it's definitely worth buying if you haven't.

Sidenote - I don't get the hate on AH. I thought it was pretty solid. I think we got 2 great AC games in a year.

Yuterald

Multiplayer?

Unfortunately, there are no multiplayer modes. There is, however, a TON of singleplayer content. Medals return along with a points system to purchase new planes and parts like in previous Ace games. There are branching mission paths and A ranks to earn on each difficulty. There is a lot of value here if you dig 100%'ing Ace games.

After playing it for a few hours, I'll upgrade my "pretty good" to a "great". There seems to be a lot of variety in the missions, and I really like the partner pilots you can choose from on missions, too. The combat maneuvers are handled really well, too. It doesn't feel like you're forced to use them in order to make it through the game (except for dodging). I never got to play AC2, so I'm not sure if this is worth a pickup for people that have already played it - it's definitely worth buying if you haven't.

Sidenote - I don't get the hate on AH. I thought it was pretty solid. I think we got 2 great AC games in a year.

Yeah, I'm up to M14 and the structure has been nice and varied. The one mission where you fight Z.O.E and that Ace Squadron where the woman leader shows up, the music in that mission, my god, it was the tipping point for me. Such a tense, classic Ace Combat moment.

Also, I don't personally hate Assault Horizon, I actually enjoyed quite a bit for what it was worth. But I just can't shake the feeling that it was missing a lot of the staples that make the franchise so great. The real world stuff really does suck balls compared to what we've got here. There is soooo much more personality, soul, and spark in Legacy compared to AH. AH was too focused on multiplayer, there was no real incentive to A Rank missions. There wasn't even a Medal system or planes/parts to purchase. I just felt like it was the most lacking singleplayer Ace Combat game in awhile and the kind of stuff that I find here in Legacy is the stuff I value more so than what AH offered.

Is this the first 3DS game that will use the slide pad extension?

Not sure about this. I think it will be compatible, but isn't that Resident Evil game being bundled with it or something?

Isn't that the combo that made Sky Crawlers? My father says it was a good game, I've yet to play it :D

Yes. Sky Crawlers is amazing! It's the ONLY Ace Combat-like alternative for the Wii. I haven't played the PSP Ace games yet, but I definitely need to get around to them because it seems like the Access Games & Project Aces combo works fairly well! As of now, I'm digging the Access Games Ace titles more than the actual title made from Project Aces!

sfried

Having finished this game, it has a lot of qualities that make you want to go back to it even after completion. People should definitely pick it up, especially if they have not played an AC game at all.

Sagitario

Yeah, I know it has been difficult to prioritize with all these new games that have come out. It's an exceptional Ace Combat title though and should not be overlooked. At first glance I think a lot of people are going to think this game is an inferior version/downgrade from the HD game, but it's sooooooooo much better.

As some of the impressions have already stated, it feels like a CLASSIC Ace Combat game. I'm halfway through normal mode and loving it. Oh, and the OST and sound design is amazing! Check these out. It's like impossible to find music uploads for this game though. The first one listed is so cool, but I think the user uploaded it straight from his 3DS speakers, lol!

I just found out who the composer was too! It's Go Shiina!

Track 17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6KgScMow8&feature=related

Theme of Beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpwdbOtO7A&feature=related

Theme of Lancer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlKa38G8js&feature=related

AWESOME! Definitely thinking of getting it now :D

What, no reposting of my impressions? ;)

Well I'll just boil it down and say it's easily the best portable Ace Combat, and it's arguably my favorite in the series since 5/0. Story-light but fun to play and they removed a lot of the frustrations I've had with previous games.

coldfoot

Banned
They should remake AC04,AC5 and AC0 using the new game engine and release them as a HD collection with 3 platinums. I'd buy that right away. AC6 was OK, but not as good as the other 3, and the newest one is garbage.

sfried

They should remake AC04,AC5 and AC0 using the new game engine and release them as a HD collection with 3 platinums. I'd buy that right away. AC6 was OK, but not as good as the other 3, and the newest one is garbage.
AC on WiiU will be great. U Controller would house radar and other info and leave the screen free of HUD clutter.

I especially like how this 3DS AC does HUD. Feels like a real cockpit.

So is it really a retelling of AC2? Why AC2?
I heard the story relates to Ace Combat 5, takes place around the same time. Ace Combat 1 probably doesn't have much of a story and Ace Combat 3 would probably be too much of an investment right now.
Cool, you won't be disappointed! If you really dig the AC 4, 5, and Zero era then you are going to fall in love with this one. =)
Loved them.
At the very least they need to put the PS2 trilogy on PSN. I had rented them recently and would like to own them, without having to pay a significant amount. HD collection would be preferred, of course.

M-PG71C

So its a AC2 remake that is good? Well hell, now I have to buy it. I didn't see this one coming. I figured it was a downport of the HD sequel that sucked balls.

Good to know, I'll have to get it sometime this month.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Go Shiina? Is it entirely him for this one? :eek:

I haven't played AC since 4 but I'll get this when I grab a 3DS.

Coxswain

Having finished it since those early impressions, I can say that I think it's definitely a worthwhile buy for any Ace Combat fan with a 3DS (though not to the point where you should buy a 3DS just to play it) - it's certainly a much better game than Assault Horizon.

Overall, I think it probably ranks around the same as Ace Combat X. The story in Legacy feels a bit hollow, since there aren't any between-mission story scenes the way there are in AC3-6, 0, and X, and there aren't really any 'super weapons' the way you might know them from more recent games - there's an 'experimental' super bomber plane that you have to fight a few of in one mission, but they're just slightly-oversized planes that take five or so missiles to take down, and there's a 'superweapon' submarine, but it's not much different from an ordinary submarine (or rather, what makes it different is a scripted event that doesn't have much to do with the sub itself).

However, I think that Legacy makes up for those downsides with two improvements that really do add to the game: The maneuvers, and the Ace squadron fights.

The offensive maneuvers, as a few people have said, are fairly similar to the ones from Sky Crawlers - except that they aren't nearly as powerful. The window of opportunity to land a missile on an enemy using a level 1 offensive maneuver is quite small, once you're past the first few missions - against proper Ace squadron planes and even some of the tougher no-names, the window of opportunity is often zero, and all that the maneuver will do is put you roughly behind the plane, making it easier to get into chases. To actually score a "guaranteed" (and it's really not, always) missile hit against a good enemy pilot, you need to charge right up to the level 2 maneuver, and even then the window can be quite small.
And more importantly, unlike Dogshit Mode in Assault Horizon, the maneuvers in Legacy are never required, no matter who you're fighting - but since the maneuvers are there, the developers were free to make Ace squadron pilots really good. You'll never run into an enemy plane that fires off an infinite amount of chaff and can never be touched by your missiles, but if you want to straight-up outfly the tougher aces, you're going to need to be really good - it's definitely possible to do, but they're harder than in any other Ace Combat game.

The defensive maneuvers are just a great improvement. They're not terribly complicated - move the analog pad in the direction indicated, and press the Maneuver button - but the timing on them can be very tight (as in, 1/2 to 3/4 of a second or so), and it honestly is a lot more fun than the classic Ace Combat missile evasion method, which is just "Turn like a motherfucker". And just as the offensive maneuvers gave the developers the freedom to turn up the maneuverability of enemy pilots, the defensive maneuvers let them turn the ace squadrons really aggressive. If you fly straight into an Ace Squadron fuzzball, it's not uncommon to find yourself pulling off seven defensive maneuvers in ten seconds as they swarm you with missiles.

The Ace Squadrons, as I touched on, are just better, meaner, and more vicious in Legacy, compared with other AC games, but apart from that, one thing that sets them apart from the Aces in other games is that each squadron has its own theme, and distinctive attack patterns. The Lancer squadron (the first you run into) uses the gimmick where they all fly into the distance, get in formation, and all charge straight at you. Other squadrons will alternately disperse, form into clusters, and then try to pin you in between both halves, or have a number of different formations and patterns named and based around pieces on the chess board. While Yellow Squadron in Ace Combat 4, or Ofnir and Grabacr in Ace Combat 5 were really cool and imposing opponents from a story perspective, in-game they were basically just like any other planes except a little harder to dodge and a little harder to shoot down. In Legacy, every Ace Squadron you run up against has a distinct personality, both in terms of radio chatter and in terms of how it actually feels to fight them, gameplay-wise.

If you have a 3DS and you like Ace Combat, I'd definitely recommend picking this up, especially if you feel like you need something to wash the taste of Assault Horizon out of your mouth.

I'm wondering just what the heck that will be useful for. Maybe aircraft rotation or something...

In the PS2 (and AC6) games, L2/R2 or the triggers controlled your throttle, and L1/R1/LB/RB controlled your plane's yaw. In Legacy, you can only control the yaw via the D-Pad, which is obviously sort of awkward. That, and I don't think there's a good way to look to your left, right, or up with the 3DS's controls, whereas the second analog stick would take care of that no problem. So basically, a couple nonessential-but-nice-to-have features like that, and the more comfortable form factor would be the reasons to use the slidepad shell.

Yuterald

What, no reposting of my impressions? ;)

Well I'll just boil it down and say it's easily the best portable Ace Combat, and it's arguably my favorite in the series since 5/0. Story-light but fun to play and they removed a lot of the frustrations I've had with previous games.

Hah, sorry, I was having trouble finding impressions for this game. It really is an awesome game. For me, it feels like one of the first, real hardcore titles for the 3DS.

Yuterald

The Ace Squadrons, as I touched on, are just better, meaner, and more vicious in Legacy, compared with other AC games, but apart from that, one thing that sets them apart from the Aces in other games is that each squadron has its own theme, and distinctive attack patterns. The Lancer squadron (the first you run into) uses the gimmick where they all fly into the distance, get in formation, and all charge straight at you. Other squadrons will alternately disperse, form into clusters, and then try to pin you in between both halves, or have a number of different formations and patterns named and based around pieces on the chess board. While Yellow Squadron in Ace Combat 4, or Ofnir and Grabacr in Ace Combat 5 were really cool and imposing opponents from a story perspective, in-game they were basically just like any other planes except a little harder to dodge and a little harder to shoot down. In Legacy, every Ace Squadron you run up against has a distinct personality, both in terms of radio chatter and in terms of how it actually feels to fight them, gameplay-wise.

I noticed this too about the Ace Squadrons. I've never seen this in any other Ace game. Yeah, one ace squadron flew away from me, gathered together, and kind of bombarded me all at once, it was such an awesome feeling. I also love, love, love the little character portraits with the radio chatter. Like in Zero, they even have the database where fallen Ace Squadrons are registered after you destroy them which provide background information on the pilots. So cool. Like I've said, there is so much more personality crammed into this little game than the HD counterpart.

Yuterald

Well, I finished the game last night on Normal. God damn, the mission variety is truly impressive. Final missions were so awesome. This game is packed with content! I'm surprised at how many stages there are in this game. For the most part, the stages are nice and short, nothing ever dragged on too long, unlike some of the HD Assault Horizon levels. The story was a bit bare bones at times, but it was still epic and dramatic as shit. There is SOOO much left to do as well. Unlocked Ace difficulty and I still have the other branching path missions to discover, A ranks to gain, planes and parts to purchase, and those extra/survival missions. So happy with this game!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How's the frame rate/cockpits/3D?

And I know a side by side comparison might show otherwise but shots like this just make me think "PS1 Ace Combat".
609543_20111115_screen003.jpg

Couldn't it look like The Sky Crawlers + some fancy cool shaders on top, for better lighting/explosions etc?
the-sky-crawlers-20090703084548933_640w.jpg

sky-crawlers-images-20080905035132578_640w.jpg

panda21

Well, I finished the game last night on Normal. God damn, the mission variety is truly impressive. Final missions were so awesome. This game is packed with content! I'm surprised at how many stages there are in this game. For the most part, the stages are nice and short, nothing ever dragged on too long, unlike some of the HD Assault Horizon levels. The story was a bit bare bones at times, but it was still epic and dramatic as shit. There is SOOO much left to do as well. Unlocked Ace difficulty and I still have the other branching path missions to discover, A ranks to gain, planes and parts to purchase, and those extra/survival missions. So happy with this game!

how long has it taken you so far roughly?

i had no idea this was out... really tempted

Yuterald

how long has it taken you so far roughly?

i had no idea this was out... really tempted

My flight time on my save data read about 5 hours. There are 23 missions, I believe. But you don't do all 23 in one playthrough. There are branching paths and depending on the route you take you will miss out on some of the missions during your first run. I think you AT LEAST have to play through the main game twice to unlock all stages in free play.

You talked about AC4 and AC5 but how does enemy squadrons compares to AC: Zero?
Do they have some background story? Presentation?

Shieeet, if this is the case this would be my killer application for 3DS.

PunchyBoy

Banned
Wait I just have one question:
When you said in features "Remake of Ace Combat 2", you means the game is a remake of Ace Combat 2, or it includes A REMAKE of Ace Combat 2 ?

Yuterald

You talked about AC4 and AC5 but how does enemy squadrons compares to AC: Zero?
Do they have some background story? Presentation?

Shieeet, if this is the case this would be my killer application for 3DS.

It's not nearly as fleshed out as Zero, but they still have background stories that are detailed in a cool, unlockable database. There are also far fewer Ace Squadrons than in Zero, naturally. As he already mentioned, what's cool about them is that they truly have a distinct feel to them when it comes to the actual gameplay. On top of that they do have their own music themes as well as personalized character portraits. It's the closest thing you are going to get to a portable Zero.

Wait I just have one question:
When you said in features "Remake of Ace Combat 2", you means the game is a remake of Ace Combat 2, or it includes A REMAKE of Ace Combat 2 ?

It's apparently a remake of Ace Combat 2. There is no version of the original Ace Combat 2 included. That would have been neat though!

How's the frame rate/cockpits/3D?

Frame rate is smooth. There is a mission or two where it slows down but that's usually with a lot of cloud cover and a heavy dose of enemies on-screen. As per usual AC has few problems in that regard since most enemies are usually far away or not clustered on-screen.

I don't play with cockpits so can't speak to that...

3D is best in class. For me it's probably better than Mario because it's everywhere. The loading screens, gameplay, replays - everything seems to be set just right to always have that "pop" to it. I think a great deal of this is just the nature of the series - FP3D flight with cockpit overlays just naturally have an "into the screen" effect - but I would never turn the 3D off in this game.

Top Bottom