• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$4.99 games at Circuit City in store (YMMV)

Boogie9IGN

Wario64 said:
I only visited one CC, was too lazy to go to the other ones, and was doubtful on the selection anyway

Which? I'm going to the one on Almaden Exp and Quimby Rd tomorrow to check it out.

IS CC GOING TO PUT MORE GAMES ON SHELVES NEXT WEEKEND?

signet

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but unless there is some sort of special that started today the trade in 3 for 1 deal at EB has been dead for months.

Most of the time it is 4 for 1 with a big list of exclusions and that only being valid for certain games (usually vender of the month). Don't get your hopes up you won't be getting Onimusha 3: Demon Siege and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow unless you bring a gun and rob them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Im not even sure if they even have 4 for 1 deal right now. The last EB B&M deal thing I posted only mentioned trade two games in, get $20 towards a pre-release title. I guess that comforts me then...I'd be pissed if I missed some 3 for 1 deal. I can't pass up ToS for $15 :p

Dave Long

Banned
So the real question is, when will Circuit City institute some kind of price markdown list for their employees to run through daily so they don't end up with this much excess ancient stock on their racks that they have to resort to $4.99 clearance to move it all?

That's what boggles my mind. Clearly a lot of these games could've sold at $29.99 or $19.99 earlier in their lifetime (some sell for that now!) but because they're so bad at keeping their stock priced correctly, they end up with all kinds of stuff they never sell. I mean, of the games I bought today, most were marked $29.99 as GBA games or $49.99 as PS2/GC games. They all are cheaper everywhere else and likely were cheaper than that at Circuit City too. But because they never bother to change the prices on anything, it never sold and now their game buyer has to do this crazy $4.99 thing to get rid of it and make room for Christmas.

They have to wise up sooner or later. The place is just so poorly run.

BuddyC

Dave Long said:
That's what boggles my mind. Clearly a lot of these games could've sold at $29.99 or $19.99 earlier in their lifetime (some sell for that now!) but because they're so bad at keeping their stock priced correctly, they end up with all kinds of stuff they never sell. I mean, of the games I bought today, most were marked $29.99 as GBA games or $49.99 as PS2/GC games. They all are cheaper everywhere else and likely were cheaper than that at Circuit City too. But because they never bother to change the prices on anything, it never sold and now their game buyer has to do this crazy $4.99 thing to get rid of it and make room for Christmas.

Dave: Most of them had been marked down previously. Due to the way CC sells games, price drops are rarely, if ever, marked. The employees have to gather all the games, pull them out of the cases, update the price, and then re-case them and put them back in alphabetical order. I can't say I blame them.

spangler

If you have a Rhino Videogames near you, you can get some incredible trade-in deals. They will let you get any game (new or used) up to $50 with the trade-in of two games that are valued at $12 or higher in their system. I went to Circuit City and bought Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wakeboarding Unleashed, ESPN Hockey, and Dark Cloud 2. This (obviously) cost me $20 + tax. I then drove to the Rhino games on the other side of town and turned these games into brand new copies of Hitman Contracts and Metal Slug 3, a $90 value. They had pretty much all the new games in stock but those 2 were the only ones I wanted that I didn't already have.

I live in Gainesville, FL and there are Rhino locations scattered around the southeast. I'm pretty sure they do this deal at all their stores but I can only guarantee that they do it here in Gainesville. The chain was recently bought by Blockbuster so I expect we'll be seeing many more of these stores popping up around the country.

Kudie

Dave Long said:
So the real question is, when will Circuit City institute some kind of price markdown list for their employees to run through daily so they don't end up with this much excess ancient stock on their racks that they have to resort to $4.99 clearance to move it all?

That is very true. Every time I go there, I always find some really old game(s) that is still priced at original MSRP or is $10 to $20 higher than their competitors.

But hey, we gamers end up winning when they have to resort to a $4.99 sale such as this.

cvxfreak

Dave Long said:

That sad part is the shelves at my CC don't even look like they've been ransacked. I think a few other games at CC can stand to be discounted - Silent Hill 3, for example.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
signet said:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but unless there is some sort of special that started today the trade in 3 for 1 deal at EB has been dead for months.

Most of the time it is 4 for 1 with a big list of exclusions and that only being valid for certain games (usually vender of the month). Don't get your hopes up you won't be getting Onimusha 3: Demon Siege and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow unless you bring a gun and rob them.

One of the EBs I know is still running that deal.......they have been for months now and its ongoing. Perhaps its store or region specific? I know I'll be able to do the trade-in thing and get my games. ^_^

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
spangler said:
If you have a Rhino Videogames near you, you can get some incredible trade-in deals. They will let you get any game (new or used) up to $50 with the trade-in of two games that are valued at $12 or higher in their system. I went to Circuit City and bought Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wakeboarding Unleashed, ESPN Hockey, and Dark Cloud 2. This (obviously) cost me $20 + tax. I then drove to the Rhino games on the other side of town and turned these games into brand new copies of Hitman Contracts and Metal Slug 3, a $90 value. They had pretty much all the new games in stock but those 2 were the only ones I wanted that I didn't already have.

I live in Gainesville, FL and there are Rhino locations scattered around the southeast. I'm pretty sure they do this deal at all their stores but I can only guarantee that they do it here in Gainesville. The chain was recently bought by Blockbuster so I expect we'll be seeing many more of these stores popping up around the country.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. We just got a Rhino videogames in Tampa and I'll have to call tomorrow and see if this works. If so, I'm gonna be getting a few new games. :D

Belfast

spangler said:

Is that why the mall location closed down? Blockbuster subsidized it and got paid of by Linens and Things or whatever is going in there where Tilt used to be? Or maybe they just wanted the home furnishings money hat anyway and couldn't afford to rent the space anymore.

Edit: And yeah, Rhino almost ALWAYS has the 2 for 1 deal going. Sometimes I forget about it when I go in to trade some games, expecting to still have to pay 20-30 bucks. When they tell me its free, its a nice surprise. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kumiko Nikaido said:
One of the EBs I know is still running that deal.......they have been for months now and its ongoing. Perhaps its store or region specific? I know I'll be able to do the trade-in thing and get my games. ^_^

Which EB is this?

spangler

Belfast,
I believe that the mall location closed because Oaks Mall didn't renew their lease. I'm not sure why, exactly, but it didn't have anything to do with Rhino or Blockbuster; it was just the inner workings of the mall. The store in the mall was apparently rather successful and management is frantically searching for a new location in town to open another store in. Do you recall the very brief Rhino location in that little plaza across from UF on University Avenue? That one tanked hard so they probably are trying to find something outside of that part of town. My girlfriend worked at Rhino for a little while several years back so I ended up hanging out with some of the workers/management from time to time. The higher-ups were pretty good guys and I hope the Blockbuster deal doesn't screw everything up for them. I'd imagine they made tons o'cash on the deal but I lost track of those guys years ago.

Boogie9IGN

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Downtown San Jose (next to SJSU campus). ^_^

I'm not completely sure but the EB Games in Oakridge Mall might still be doing it too, I seem to recall seeing posters of it.

Belfast

spangler said:
Belfast,
I believe that the mall location closed because Oaks Mall didn't renew their lease. I'm not sure why, exactly, but it didn't have anything to do with Rhino or Blockbuster; it was just the inner workings of the mall. The store in the mall was apparently rather successful and management is frantically searching for a new location in town to open another store in. Do you recall the very brief Rhino location in that little plaza across from UF on University Avenue? That one tanked hard so they probably are trying to find something outside of that part of town. My girlfriend worked at Rhino for a little while several years back so I ended up hanging out with some of the workers/management from time to time. The higher-ups were pretty good guys and I hope the Blockbuster deal doesn't screw everything up for them. I'd imagine they made tons o'cash on the deal but I lost track of those guys years ago.

Yeah, I always kind of figured they just didn't renew the lease or something, but it was a pretty surprising thing to have been there only two days earlier and then you come back and, not only is it closed, its completely cleaned out and everything. I'm not entirely sure how mall leases work, but they could've at least given them a few days to notify people or something.

Anyway, that one always seemed to get more business than the one in Butler, but Butler Plaza's really close to me, so I do go there sometimes. Malls always just seemed kinder to gaming stores, because it easy to be tempted when you're out shopping for other things. Outside of actual gamers, I imagine it'd seem silly to go out JUST to buy a video game, especially at a specialty store.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just went and picked up Crimson Sea, Burnout 2, GBTG and Quantum Redshift..

Oh, ad Quantum Redshift to your list of Xbox games for 5 bucks.

Shouta

Ephemeral Fantasia isn`t a bad game at all except the combat is a bit archaic (and annoyingly stupid at times). However, it redeems itself in being one of the RPGs that makes you work for the storyline and results. No hand-holding at all. Gotta figure out where everything is and figure out how and when to do it.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Shouta said:
Ephemeral Fantasia isn`t a bad game at all except the combat is a bit archaic (and annoyingly stupid at times). However, it redeems itself in being one of the RPGs that makes you work for the storyline and results. No hand-holding at all. Gotta figure out where everything is and figure out how and when to do it.
Did you use the guitar freaks controller?

B'z-chan

Banned
So this eb deal its happening now? can i preorder games with it? Cause if so i would be up for trading in two of my games so i can preorder Sims 2 Deluxe (dvd) edition.

Oh i think i might just have to go over to EB today and see whats going on. Cause its not to much of a walk from EB to Circuit City to get more games. More Games muhahahahaha.

They are suppost to get a shipment of over 800 games this next week, at least thats what the floor manager was saying. And that they will get another surplus of games the following week for this "deal". I want to see the ad cause if it shows the games then holy crap price match ahoy.

goodcow

circuit_city_07-04-2004.jpg

john tv

Anyone willing to pick up any of the following for me? I'll pick up and ship something from Japan for ya in exchange if you want. Or just think nice thoughts about you. Whatever you want!

john tv would love:

Boktai (GBA)
Disgaea (PS2)
Guilty Gear X2 (PS2)
MGS2: Substance (PS2)

Anyone willing to hook an overseas brotha up?

john tv said:
Boktai (GBA)
MGS2: Substance (PS2)

I might just be able to nab these. I passed up Boktai last night - I KNEW someone would want that, but for some reason I just got this last-minute fear that I'd end up getting stuck with it. I'll see what I can do!

john tv

bobbyconover said:
I might just be able to nab these. I passed up Boktai last night - I KNEW someone would want that, but for some reason I just got this last-minute fear that I'd end up getting stuck with it. I'll see what I can do!
OK, thanks!

MoxManiac

Guys, quick question: assuming there is even anything left, are they marked as $4.99 or will I have to take it to a clerk to have it scanned? Thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MoxManiac said:
Guys, quick question: assuming there is even anything left, are they marked as $4.99 or will I have to take it to a clerk to have it scanned? Thanks.

You have to take it up to the clerk to have it scanned. No prices are marked as $4.99. There are just TOO MANY games!

I ended up with 20 games! There were only a couple I wanted that I was unable to find (like Waverace BS and Dynasty Warriors 4). Great deals!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Any extra copies of Rez and GGX2? Anyone?

B'z-chan said:
They are suppost to get a shipment of over 800 games this next week, at least thats what the floor manager was saying. And that they will get another surplus of games the following week for this "deal". I want to see the ad cause if it shows the games then holy crap price match ahoy.

I'm sure the ad will just say "Special sale, games starting at $4.99. Titles vary by store"

Fongul

I wound up finding the following games (while keeping a budget of $25 at the same time...yes I like to keep some money for food and what not)

*Burnout 2 (XB)
*RAD
*Megaman Network Transmission
*Dark Cloud 2 (thanks B'z-chan for letting me have your copy!)
*Morrowind GOTY Edition

I wound up then using RAD and Megaman as trade-ins at Gamerush to get $23 in credit, bought a used copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for $10 (the trade 2 games, get any used game for $9.99 deal). Then, I trade Splinter Cell right then and there, get $25 in credit and prebook Paper Mario 2 for $29.99 using the other deal (trade one used game, get a new game for $29.99) I had $5 in credit left over and Paper Mario 2 for $10 plus tax. Needless to say, I will be going back (the new game for $29.99 deal ends today!)

Fongul said:
I wound up finding the following games (while keeping a budget of $25 at the same time...yes I like to keep some money for food and what not)

*Burnout 2 (XB)
*RAD
*Megaman Network Transmission
*Dark Cloud 2 (thanks B'z-chan for letting me have your copy!)
*Morrowind GOTY Edition

I wound up then using RAD and Megaman as trade-ins at Gamerush to get $23 in credit, bought a used copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for $10 (the trade 2 games, get any used game for $9.99 deal). Then, I trade Splinter Cell right then and there, get $25 in credit and prebook Paper Mario 2 for $29.99 using the other deal (trade one used game, get a new game for $29.99) I had $5 in credit left over and Paper Mario 2 for $10 plus tax. Needless to say, I will be going back (the new game for $29.99 deal ends today!)
do you plan on trading/selling burnout 2?

Fongul

crawlingpeter said:
do you plan on trading/selling burnout 2?

Nah just because it's one of those loveable twitch games (me and my friend played Crash Mode for 2 hours yesterday!) My local CC didn't have anymore in stock, but if B'z-chan is correct, they might be getting restocked.

Fongul said:
Nah just because it's one of those loveable twitch games (me and my friend played Crash Mode for 2 hours yesterday!) My local CC didn't have anymore in stock, but if B'z-chan is correct, they might be getting restocked.
allright, i understand. i dont blame you for keeping it either. :D

i really hope that 800 game shipment is correct...

are they just supposed to show up randomly throughout the week?

Mason

Has anyone gone to the store only to find these games AREN'T on sale? I want to make sure this is really taking place everywhere. If I go to the counter with a bunch of games and they ring up for $300, I'm going to be pissed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mason said:
Has anyone gone to the store only to find these games AREN'T on sale? I want to make sure this is really taking place everywhere. If I go to the counter with a bunch of games and they ring up for $300, I'm going to be pissed.

When I say the deal is nationwide, I really mean it. Only reason it won't be $4.99 is if someone reported an incorrect game as $4.99. But it's been a couple days already and the list has been revised numerous times

B'z-chan

Banned
crawlingpeter said:
allright, i understand. i dont blame you for keeping it either. :D

i really hope that 800 game shipment is correct...

are they just supposed to show up randomly throughout the week?

I dont know about randomly but i will deffinatly be checking it out all this week. I think they are getting ready for it though. Hopefully they clean up beforehand.

I'm gonna go and try to get rid of RAD and OKAGE today at EB and see how much credit i get cause i wanna prebook Sims 2. And since gamerush doesnt have pc games. But if i dont get good enough credit its up to GameRush i go and i will prebook GTA sa.

Fongul its all cool bro, hope you enjoy it.

All i know Visalia, CA Circuit City still has Disgaea and it would be worth the drive fro anyone that would want it. they also have DMC2 and Zone of Enders 2. If any of you can check out this store that would be cool.

heres to hoping Eb takes back RAD and Okage for that deal if they even have it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mason said:

The thing is...for the most part, the workers there have no idea what's on sale either so don't let them give you too hard a time about it. At my CC they had a list that had 10 games on it for 4.99 and not one of the ones I actually picked up. But they were super nice about checking any title for me too so I'm not complaining.

B'z-chan said:
All i know Visalia, CA Circuit City still has Disgaea and it would be worth the drive fro anyone that would want it. they also have DMC2 and Zone of Enders 2. If any of you can check out this store that would be cool.

no they don't. at least i don't think so. You sure?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Does anyone know if CC keeps backstocks of video games in their storage area. Cause im wondering if they restocked the shelves....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Apparantly some Circuit City locations started pulling games off the shelves so they can put them back when the sale is suppose to occur (the 11th). But I still wouldn't count on games being restocked in the next week. I think the damage has been done already

B'z-chan

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
no they don't. at least i don't think so. You sure?

Go and call them up. I was talking with the floor manager last night and she told me that they did have them in. Just ask them to check the computer they could be just sitting in a box waiting.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I went yesterday and got:

X-Box:
Buffy
Celeb Deathmatch
Dead to Rights
DOA Tittays
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Kung Fu Chaos
NFL Blitz Pro
Voodoo Vince
Motral Kombat: DA for .01

PS2:
Onimusha 2

There were about 3 or 4 people walking around with a print out of the list and it seemed the PS2 section was picked bare of the sale items. Burnout 2 was a game I looked hard for but couldn't find for either system.

Top Bottom