• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burn it all down

Americans are sharply divided over President Donald Trump's order to temporarily block U.S. entry for all refugees and citizens of seven Muslim countries, with slightly more approving the measure than disapproving, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Tuesday.

The Jan. 30-31 poll found that 49 percent of American adults said they either "strongly" or "somewhat" agreed with Trump's order, while 41 percent "strongly" or "somewhat" disagreed and another 10 percent said they don't know.

But the responses were split almost entirely along party lines. Some 53 percent of Democrats said they "strongly disagree" with Trump's action while 51 percent of Republicans said they "strongly agree."

Trump's executive order banned refugees from entering the United States for 120 days, and it placed an indefinite hold on Syrian refugees. It also blocked citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

The president, who campaigned on a promise to bring what he called "extreme vetting" to the nation's immigration system, said the order he signed on Friday was meant to protect the country and its borders. "This is not a Muslim ban," he said.

But confusion over who was covered by Trump's order left travelers, airlines and foreign governments scrambling to get clarity from U.S. officials, many of whom were also bewildered.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll found 31 percent of Americans feel "more safe" because of the ban, compared with 26 percent who said they felt "less safe." Some 38 percent said they felt the United States was setting "a good example" of how best to confront terrorism, while 41 percent said the country was setting "a bad example."

Democrats were more than three times as likely as Republicans to say that the "U.S. should continue to take in immigrants and refugees," and Republicans were more than three times as likely as Democrats to agree that "banning people from Muslim countries is necessary to prevent terrorism."

Most Americans, however, don't think the country should show a preference for Christian refugees, as Trump has suggested. Some 56 percent, including 72 percent of Democrats and 45 percent of Republicans, disagreed that the country should "welcome Christian refugees, but not Muslim ones."

At the weekend, protesters swarmed major U.S. airports where some immigrants had been temporarily detained because of the order. Lawmakers, including some from Trump's Republican Party, denounced the decision as discriminatory and counterproductive for national security.

Trump pushes drugmakers for lower prices, more U.S. production
Trump's orders on immigration face new legal challenges in U.S
More than a dozen state attorneys general said they would work together to fight the order, and the top federal government lawyer, Sally Yates, was fired after she refused to defend it.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...BN15F2MG?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Syncytia

The thing is they don't think this is a Muslim ban. They think this is all "security" and that more countries are going to be added to protect us.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I saw my little brother arguing in its favor on Facebook a few hours ago and it's hitting me pretty hard.

Guevara

Hell, they voted for it.

If anything, many people are upset more with the clusterfuck rollout than the outcome.

Jombie

Those people can drop their American / Christian values facade.

This does nothing but exacerbate the problem, including severing relationships with those helping fight isis in the Middle East. It's a huge terrorist recruiting tool and we're losing more favor from or allies. It's dangerous, reckless, ignorant of history and totalitarian in nature. If you're not disturbed by this then I have no respect for you as a person or as an American citizen.

phaonaut

The thing is they don't think this is a Muslim ban. They think this is all "security" and that more countries are going to be added to protect us.

Lets be real, if it was a muslim ban they would dip their hands into the bucket of excuses and pull out a nice big one.

TaterTots

Banned
I saw my little brother arguing in its favor on Facebook a few hours ago and it's hitting me pretty hard.

My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.

So statistically speaking, about half of GAF should be on board with the ban. But I haven't seen very many people come forward with that opinion.

br3wnor

Not surprising at all, we are a nation that elected Donald Trump to the presidency. By default we have a sizeable number of the population that would be into an unconstitutional ban on muslim people.

Doesn't change the argument that people who are opposed to it have, nor does it change the fact that the order will be absolutely shredded in federal courts all over the country.

Toxi

Banned
That people thinks this makes them safe, despite the fact that there have been no attacks by people from those countries on US soil, shows just how disgusting and harmful disinformation and a lack of education is.

Vena

So statistically speaking, about half of GAF should be on board with the ban. But I haven't seen very many people come forward with that opinion.

That's not how statistics work for non-random sample sets.

GAF is not an unbiased and random sample set of people, it is in fact generally liberal and with many people occupying a wide array of fields/schools/sciences/arts/studies that do not really represent on any general scale "the average American".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is something to keep in mind when people keep asking why nobody is doing anything.

Our nation is more divided than ever.

RPGCrazied

Maybe this, but the line more in the middle.

1000px-Man_High_Castle_(TV_Series)_map-2.svg.png

UberTag

he keeps us saffeeeeeeee
Yep... safe from the poor brown people from countries that have never killed anyone via a terrorist attack on American soil.

Except if they're Christian... then they're okay. Maybe. Perhaps.

Good thing those folks from Saudi Arabia where most of the 9/11 attackers hailed from can continue to pass through unimpeded though, right?

zethren

Banned
My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.

Hit them with a "none of the people involved in 9/11 were from the countries blacklisted. So we're going to start trampling on the Constitution in fear of hypotheticals? What's next?"

They'll probably get mad, but whatever.

dhlt25

a lot of my friend who are fucking second gen vietnamese are in favor of this. They've been sharing shit on fb since sunday. Like wtf, your parents were literally refugee running away from a civil war, how the fuck can you even support this. Boggles my mind

Same people handed over complete power after 9/11. Fear is a hell of a thing and with all the terrorist attacks happening in Europe they are more than willing to throw people they don't know or give a shit about under the bus for their supposed safety.

These people are paranoid and buy into the narratives spewed out by their leaders. They keep being manipulated and when the president of the united states tells them this is what we need to do to keep you safe from evil they will believe it.

greepoman

You could start with saying then why aren't the countries responsible(Saudis Arabia, UAE, Egypt) for 9/11 not on the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom