• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Most of those people probably have no fucking clue what we're actually doing to vet these people to begin with. They're all dingbats or racists.

Syncytia

Lets be real, if it was a muslim ban they would dip their hands into the bucket of excuses and pull out a nice big one.

Oh absolutely, to use their words "It's not a blanket ban so it isn't a Muslim ban." They know what it is even if they don't want to say it.

Trump called for a Muslim ban.
Trump ask Giuliani how to do it legally.
It if looks like a duck it's probably a duck.

They have the cover of saying "security" and "Obama selected countries" and the people who aren't willing to look into or are willing to eat it up because it's their guy in charge.

Most Americans, however, don't think the country should show a preference for Christian refugees, as Trump has suggested. Some 56 percent, including 72 percent of Democrats and 45 percent of Republicans, disagreed that the country should "welcome Christian refugees, but not Muslim ones."

I imagine the 72 and 45 percent have different reasons...

Empty

you'd think america was a country constantly being ravaged by islamic terrorist bombings. yet attacks are so rare in a huge country. people are ridiculous.

Toxi

Banned
My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.
The 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, UAE, and Egypt.

None of these countries are included in the ban.

Your family is part of the problem.

UberTag

My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.
Throw Saudi Arabia in their face is what you do. That's like the easiest inane objection you can tear down with facts.

But this is really a poll targeted at the voting population at the end of the day, though, right? The fact that they specify Dems and Repubs make me think that. Would be interesting to see if they could get a vote based around non-voters, too, to see what their general feeling is, if they have any at all.

Many people aren't though.

Yeah, I mean, the protests to this have been huge, and even if almost half supporting, that means always half are against, and it seems to be a very strong against as

Shaanyboi

Banned
So statistically speaking, about half of GAF should be on board with the ban. But I haven't seen very many people come forward with that opinion.
There are plenty of people who actively don't post on threads like this or they just use an alt account to spew whatever dumb shit they need to...

Empty

The 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, UAE, and Egypt.

None of these countries are included in the ban.

Your family is part of the problem.

tbf i think most of these 49% would be very happy with more muslim countries being banned

a lot of my friend who are fucking second gen vietnamese are in favor of this. They've been sharing shit on fb since sunday. Like wtf, your parents were literally refugee running away from a civil war, how the fuck can you even support this. Boggles my mind

Most people honestly don't research, care or think about their choices. They pick a side and join and echochamber that supports their views and move on with their life until something comes to their doorstep.

you'd think america was a country constantly being ravaged by islamic terrorist bombings. yet attacks are so rare in a huge country. people are ridiculous.
We are a country of depression and paranoia.

Syncytia

Hit them with a "none of the people involved in 9/11 were from the countries blacklisted. So we're going to start trampling on the Constitution in fear of hypotheticals? What's next?"

They'll probably get mad, but whatever.

So far this has completely shut down any arguments I've had with my family on Facebook. You give them a well thought out and logical argument and they don't have shit to respond with. I mean, I always have to go back and edit my posts to take out all the stuff that might offend them, which I think helps. If you let something slip that gives them a way to deflect from the real argument they will run with it.

rjinaz

How many of that 49% were White like I am? I bet almost all. It's so nice to never have these things touch me so I can continue on not giving a shit about the rights of other people.

UberTag

Right-wing media hivemind hatespeak has reprogrammed them.
Their motivations are no longer grounded in reality but are instead inflamed by the lies and hyperbole of the white supremacists that curate their news... and the mainstream press that normalizes it.

avaya

This also means 51% do NOT agree with the ban.

No 10% are undecided. The undecided are normally to chickenshit to say how they really feel because they feel the social stigma. So I would hazard a large majority of those favour it as well, if this poll is accurate.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be blunt I thought it'd be higher, like 60-70 percent.

That said I strongly suspect many of those in favor truly don't understand anything - how people are already vetted before being allowed to travel and enter. That people who are legal residents are included and what "legal resident" even really means.

trembli0s

a lot of my friend who are fucking second gen vietnamese are in favor of this. They've been sharing shit on fb since sunday. Like wtf, your parents were literally refugee running away from a civil war, how the fuck can you even support this. Boggles my mind

I don't deny the blatant hypocrisy of their stance but things are somewhat different in this context. The Vietcong never threatened to invade the US and attack American soft targets. They weren't actively stating they were seeking to plant sympathizers in the general refugee/immigrant population.

Mind you, I disagree with the ban.

What shocks me is that a full 10% don't know what to think. Split that segment in half and over 50% of Americans agree with the ban.

a lot of people are surface-level thinkers and aren't really engaged or considering the ramifications of the ban.

I'd put good money on most of the respondents not exactly understanding the substance and breadth of the ban - how it's affecting people who've already been approved for visas or how it's undermining our relations with people in muslim countries that our military needs to work with - or how stringent the existing screenings for visas or refugee status are.

people literally believe the rhetoric that we were just "letting anyone in", regardless of the actual facts.

I made the mistake of making a facebook post about how the ban does more harm than good when it comes to radicalization and this guy who I have never met before totally went hard on me. It was an okay discussion at first until he started using ad hominem. I stopped responding to him but I know he thinks he's won and is superior to me. But I mean, as far as America is going, his ideals did win.

Edit: Oh yeah, and this guy was Vietnamese too. It was weird.

zethren

Banned
So far this has completely shut down any arguments I've had with my family on Facebook. You give them a well thought out and logical argument and they don't have shit to respond with. I mean, I always have to go back and edit my posts to take out all the stuff that might offend them, which I think helps. If you let something slip that gives them a way to deflect from the real argument they will run with it.

Yep. You can't always change their mind, but if they see what you are saying and it is reasonable, there is a chance that content will stick with them. And hopefully at least at that point they'll start questioning things a bit more.

How many of that 49% were White like I am? I bet almost all. It's so nice to never have these things touch me so I can continue on not giving a shit about the rights of other people.

The vast majority but it's probably a lot more minorities than people would expect. Older generations tend not to give a shit about these types of issues.

So much fear and paranoia. Reminds of that poll a while back where a fourth of Americans support bombing a city that didnt exist just because it sounded middle eastern. God only knows what your country would be like if it were under regular actual terrorist attacks like a lot of other places in the world.

You would probably start executing brown people on sight.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Also consider that only 53 percent of Democrats "strongly disagree" with the ban.

You'd think it was damn near 100 percent with the protests and social media posts. That's just disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom