• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
How accurate is this poll's sample? I sincerely doubt 49% of Americans agree with this ban.
"Strongly or somewhat agree"

I can see it 'Well i mean i UNDERSTAND why they are doing it, we do need to protect our borders from terrorists (who can only be Muslims didnt you know)'

And that's why all these protests and delays are ultimately meaningless.

He'll get his way and he'll be reelected.

People are drawn together through fear and hysteria.

This also means 51% do NOT agree with the ban.

You make that sound like this is a good thing. It is not. It's embarrassing low for a country who tought of themselves for decades as the "leader of fhe free world" and whose constitution includes the following:

”We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Anticol

Banned
No, but I thought everyone said it was just Trump and a small minority of alt-right, guess it's pretty much 150 million people.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Doesn't surprise me at all. Like I was saying in a thread last night my entire Facebook feed is loving it
My entire FB feed is against it.

Don't trust FB feeds. Everyone sees a completely different reality.

In this case you're right though ;(

Black_Sun

My whole family seems to be defending it. I'm seeing a lot of, "did you guys forget about 9/11?" talk. I don't know where to begin with that.

Argue them and show them why they're dumb.

Argue it disappassionately though. People start entrenching themselves when the other party starts to get mad at them and start to see the argument as a struggle for dominance rather than thinking it out.

But the responses were split almost entirely along party lines. Some 53 percent of Democrats said they "strongly disagree" with Trump's action while 51 percent of Republicans said they "strongly agree."

This is the important take-away for me. 53% of Democrats are in full support of the Resistance. 51% of Republicans are a lost cause.

Somewhat agree/disagree is such a stupid term in my opinion. It could mean so many things:

- It could refer to people who agree some of the bullshit about "security", but take at least SOME issue with the detaining of Green Card holders.

- It could refer to people who tend to always "hope for the best" with whoever is POTUS and are sticking their heads in the sand rather than read up on how this is illegal

The focus for democrats should be maximizing turnout of that 53% of Democrats, winning over anyone who isn't that 51% of Republicans, and suppressing the votes of those 51% of Republicans.

My entire FB feed is against it.

Don't trust FB feeds. Everyone sees a completely different reality.

Of course they do. You live around / know liberals. I live around / know conservatives

That's my point I'm not surprised and I'm 100% willing to belive around half the country is down with it.

And that's why all these protests and delays are ultimately meaningless.

He'll get his way and he'll be reelected.

People are drawn together through fear and hysteria.
This is what worries me about how the world is currently going.

You have a lot of good people out there but you also have a bunch of indoctrinated, ignorant or straight up shit people who are going to vote in whoever appeals to their fears and prejudices.

Sadly those people and the way the voting systems are set up in the US and UK are enough to drown out the good peoples objections and so no matter how much we fight they can just continue to do what they want under the guise of 'for the good of OUR people'

Volcane

. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans.

I wouldn't read much into it.

Yep. So tired of the BS excuses. America has become shit. When Trump happened, it was time to admit it, not keep up with the facade.

You don't give up on something when things get bad. America has been in MUCH worse situations than now. Look at the people fighting back, the protests, the progress made in social issues over the last decade. There are a ton of good people out there still fighting the good fight. I think this country will get through this. People on the left didn't believe Trump would win. I think many of them took that for granted. GAF was laughing all the way to the bank till reality hit. Now we know they can can lose and what's at stake and I think the next time around those terrible voter numbers will climb and it will be in favor of the democrats. Trump was a wake up call.

Does anyone know where I can find the actual breakdown between all 5 catregories?

How many of those 49% "strongly agree" and how many only "somewhat agree"?

Because honestly I would say that the only people that take ZERO issue with the EO are the ones who "strongly agree".

Toxi

Banned
Argue them and show them why they're dumb.

Argue it disappassionately though. People start entrenching themselves when the other party starts to get mad at them and start to see the argument as a struggle for dominance rather than thinking it out.
The problem is quite simple and demonstrated by how you frame it: They're dumb.

We shouldn't have to explain to people that these bans won't make them safer, and that there are other things far more likely to kill them than any terrorist. We shouldn't have to explain to people that anthropogenic climate change is not bullshit. We shouldn't have to explain to people that vaccines don't contribute to autism. We shouldn't have to explain to people the Earth is over 4 billion years old.

Yet we're still there.

ezekial45

Banned
They're extrapolating a small sample of people, so I wouldn't put too much into this article.

Still, it's still disappointing that there are people who are that hateful and ignorant.

Vixdean

I mean, less than half the country supporting your signature legislation that you campaigned on isn't exactly a rousing endorsement. I'd be interested in seeing the exact wording of the survey questions as well.

UberTag

Of course they do. You live around / know liberals. I live around / know conservatives

That's my point I'm not surprised and I'm 100% willing to belive around half the country is down with it.
You're right about one thing. It's been a fallacy around here of late to simply assume that the non-voters who didn't turn out in November are predominantly rational Democrats who simply have grown complacent about the political process... and that the Republicans always go out and vote.

Realistically, it's probably an even split. In fact, it may even skew more right than left given that the folks that aren't educated but at least are self-aware about it might feel they shouldn't influence a decision for others that they're not informed about.

Vena

It's not a self-sampling poll, is it?

I mean, its a poll that would almost certainly attract people interested in the topic, so in some ways it is definitely self-sampling (unless they randomly emailed 1000 people, which of course they didn't) but given that there's very little said of it and that it samples such a small number of people, its hard to say how actually viable this poll is or was.

It could vary by tens of percents on the hour you poll it with how vague its basis of selection is and no word on how its questions were even phrased.

I generally hate these types of statistical polls because they're incredibly flawed and generally vapid in terms of any real worth and far too easy to eschew one way or another.

daxy

Unsurprising. Pass it off on external actors as much as they'd like, but their people voted in this despicable man and his policies.

Breads

Banned
49% of Americans are afraid of 1.5 billion Muslims because of 0.3% of the murders extremists committed in the US.

Dumb as fuck.

Something seems off about this poll. Not calling it biased, but does anyone have a link to the actual data from the survey?

Shit like this:
The Reuters/Ipsos poll found 31 percent of Americans feel "more safe" because of the ban, compared with 26 percent who said they felt "less safe." Some 38 percent said they felt the United States was setting "a good example" of how best to confront terrorism, while 41 percent said the country was setting "a bad example."

Makes think that it's not "49% of the population like Trump's Travel Ban" like the article and many people in this thread seem to suggest, but more like 31%.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Like I was saying in a thread last night my entire Facebook feed is loving it

While most of my FB feed is against stuff like this, the few that do get called "Racist" or racist by association. Their response? "We're not racist, we just want to keep our family safe, keep the terrorists out". Yeah, it's pretty racist when you associate a whole group of people by their region as possible terrorists. I'm pretty sure that's what Xenophobia is... but people hate getting called racists, I guess the new definition of racism only applies when the word "hate" is used in conjunction with derogatory terms.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
"The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English in all 50 states. It gathered poll responses from 1,201 people including 453 Democrats and 478 Republicans. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire sample and 5 percentage points for the Democrats and the Republicans."

ehhh. dont see how these results are alarming. sounds like the polled republicans agree and that's not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom