• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6-Year-Old Asks Obama To Let Him Host Syrian Boy From Viral Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Throw me in a bowl of skittles if old...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/boy-asks-obama-host-omran-daqneesh

A 6-year-old boy from New York is inspiring a lot happy tears this week after he wrote a heartwarming letter to President Barack Obama, asking him to bring a Syrian boy to his house so that boy could become a part of his family.

The letter writer, Alex, was referring specifically about Omran Daqneesh, the Syrian boy whose image went viral last month after he was pulled out from rubble in the city of Aleppo following an air strike.

Alex asked Obama to bring Daqneesh to his home in Scarsdale, New York so that he can be the boy's brother.....

n3eh2tyhn6rwrdpfhhl1.jpg

Yeah I fucking bawled my eyes out when Obama was talking about this. Just the way it's stated so plainly. "He will be our brother."

If only we could all show such compassion. There are people voting to let these kids stay in Syria and die and I can't handle it.

Viewt

That's a really endearing kid, and a wonderful sentiment.

My brother-in-law was actually trying to figure out a way to adopt two Syrian children a few weeks ago, but apparently Christians can't legally adopt Syrian Muslims (this was what I was told, anyway).

slider

From the mouths of babes. Awesome kid. So touching.

My wife's hormones are all over the place with pregnancy. On reading the original story she had a tear (or two) in her eye. My little boy asked her what was wrong and when she explained in the broadest terms he said "don't worry mummy, the ambulance man will come and make him happy again". I wish it were that simple.

dorikyasu

The feels...
Major props to the boy's parents for raising him right.
And how come Obama is the only one who can inspire people like this? I can't imagine Hillary or (lol) Trump reading the same letter and get you moved in same way.

Jacobi

Banned
Are you guys sarcastic? This is just kitschy propaganda

Kinda reminds me of the moment when Merkel made a refugee kid cry

Are you guys sarcastic? This is just kitschy propaganda

Kinda reminds me of the moment when Merkel made a refugee kid cry

And this will be Republicans response as well. It couldn't possibly be a real letter Obama got that he thought would have an effect. Nope just kitschy propaganda.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There is no fucking reason I have ever been convinced of not to take in the refugees. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of people asking to be taken in by a country of over 340 million. Our population grows naturally by something like 300,000 per month.
There's no "cultural poisoning", there's no "economic drain". I lived for five years in a city with a major Somali Muslim population and it was a richer city for it.

Jacobi

Banned
All part of the plan. Build empathy for refugees. Implement plan Trojan Horse. Obama declares America the next caliphate. If only we had listened and seen through the propaganda

In Europe pretty much the majority of refugee articles had children photos which was just a lot of emotional bullshit. Thankfully they eventually stopped with that

Manipulating with children photos isn't helping anyone

In Europe pretty much the majority of refugee articles had children photos which was just a lot of emotional bullshit. Thankfully they eventually stopped with that

Emotional bullshit how? Do you think there somehow aren't tens of thousands of children killed of displaced because or the war?

If someone doesn't want children to die are they being manipulated? Where's your empathy?

The Technomancer

Yeah man, don't let yourself get manipulated by the emotional bullshit of there being thousands of kids fleeing for their lives from a war torn state

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Tell us how you really feel.

User1608

Banned
This is beautiful.
In Europe pretty much
the majority of refugee articles had children photos which was just a lot of emotional bullshit. Thankfully they eventually stopped with that

Where's you empathy?

The Technomancer

Actually I just looked it up. The US has taken in 60,000 refugees thus far this year, so its probably safe to say we'll close out at 100k

100,000 people. That's nothing. The town I grew up in is bigger than that

There are a lot of other children that are hurt or hungry or sick throughout the world.

Ok...? What does that have to do with the immediate danger that these children are in? Are we not allowed to strive to help children survive war?

This is the biggest human displacement crisis since the Holocaust and you're acting like this is no big deal.

This has so blatantly been done by the kids' parents for Facebook likes or whatever social media affirmation is in vogue nowadays.

Jeels

Actually I just looked it up. The US has taken in 60,000 refugees thus far this year, so its probably safe to say we'll close out at 100k

That's across the world too right, not just Syria?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This world needs more empathy and compassion like this. This kids parents are doing a fantastic job of raising their son to have empathy for other people.

Boney

Banned

"As long as I don't have to look at it I won't have to think about it so just let them die on the streets like dogs"

Abounder

Banned

Obama upped it 60% for next year. And when you consider only 10 countries are answering the call for this crisis then you'd realize it's something. But we would definitely take even more if not for the anti-Muslim bigotry in the country. Instead the only thing we can agree on is to bomb more countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom