• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

75 reasons to love Metroid Prime2 Echoes

Amazing art, can you imagine how hard it must have been to improve on an already superb A++ game? These screenshoots alone... man. GOTY indeed.

GDJustin said:
To make things interesting, I say we have a contest to see who can point out the lamest of the reasons.

MY VOTE:

47. Again, The Light Suit

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102551672-000.jpg

Just in case you missed it the first time, here's a slightly different look at one of the amazing new suits Samus eventually acquires in Metroid Prime 2. You know you want it.

Edit: While I'm at it how many freaking times are they gonna point out that there's dead bodies occasionally around? I think I'm at like 5.

God, I feel so stupid. I thought the light suit was soooooo ugly, then I looked closer and noticed that it was a pic of the back of it. Still, at a glance, it makes Samus look like an alien! :D I like it now I think, although I would like to see it from the front.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
the light suit will look awesome in motion... it looks peculiar from the back though.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Eric-GCA said:
Wow, these are nice captures. How in the heck are they so nice? The GameCube capturing usually sucks.
GameCube dev kits don't come with a built-in capture utility. The reason why most GC (and PS2) screens look bad compared to, say, Xbox is because they are captured from the video output.

Deg said:
the capture aint that great. It seems clear but it also feels like those blurry screens but sharpened up alot.
These screens are framebuffer dumps. What you see in those screens is what the GameCube outputs (+ JPEG artifacts). So if you have any complaints about what you see it has nothing to do with the capture.

Deg

Banned
metsallica said:
Does it depress the hell out of anyone else that this game will have to claw and scratch just to break a million?

well i just hope its an improvement on MP1 sales. The game is looking better more modernized/forward looking and has multiplayer. So it does have more to offer than MP does. :)

Deg

Banned
cybamerc said:
These screens are framebuffer dumps. What you see in those screens is what the GameCube outputs (+ JPEG artifacts). So if you have any complaints about what you see it has nothing to do with the capture.

The captures arent perfect. This is somehting Nintendo first party games have in common. Aliasing int he screens for example.

Hooker

Man, I didn't think they could make some new diverse worlds after Prime. Prime had everything already, ancient ruins, space world, ice world, fire world, organic world, underwater world and high tech world. But all of the shots here prove otherwise. I wasn't planning on buying this, but with my new job I might pick it up sometime soon.

holy fuck. Nice. Yeah. Wish I didn't see the images of the Light suit - strangely sexy. I think Retro are on to something and I can't wait to play this game. Getting goosebumps thinking about playing MP2E.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Deg said:
The captures arent perfect. This is somehting Nintendo first party games have in common. Aliasing int he screens for example.
the aliasing has nothing to do with the capture. that's what the GC is rendering.

olimario

Banned
A couple opinions I'm sure are unpopular.
I like the art in Prime better than Echoes by A LOT.
I think the environments in Prime are more interesting than those in Echoes.

Sander

Deg said:
Is that Tallon IV in the one player game !?
That's what I was thinking! We know there is a multiplayer level with a space station orbiting Tallon IV, but this definately looks like single player to me.

Interesting... *ponders*

ge-man

As much as these pics might spoil the game, I'm glad that Nintendo finally decided to let Retro reveal more areas. The little bit we had before that was mostly made up of the demo area wasn't really pumping people up.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ge-man said:
As much as these pics might spoil the game, I'm glad that Nintendo finally decided to let Retro reveal more areas. The little bit we had before that was mostly made up of the demo area wasn't really pumping people up.
what makes you think Retro wanted to show more and Nintendo were holding them back? I'd expect it's the other way around actually.
Ramirez said:
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102536016-000.jpg

Im lovin this screen.
so use the full size version ;)
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102536016.jpg

Mrbob

I love this pic:

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102550359.jpg

Hot damn!

I stopped reading that article at number 8. Just looked at some of the pics. I know IGN warned their were spoilers but geez, I didn't know they were planning on giving parts of the game away. I wonder if reading the last 67 wold give away the rest of the game?!

Tritroid

Deg said:
Am I the only one who thinks Metroid Prime wasn't even a Metroid now?

Look at that Ing Boss. He looks almost identical to Metroid Prime, just smaller.

Seriously, other than Space Pirate logs, what exactly identified Prime as a Metroid? We don't even know if he evolved naturally or just instantly mutated into that state after exposure to Phazon after such a long period. What's odd though is that some logs in Prime 1 mentioned that Prime was a 'Source of Phazon', and apparently the Ing are too...

olimario

Banned
I want to see a plot twist. Something unexpected.
Wouldn't it be HOT if Samus was decieved and the Luminoth were evil and using Samus to get rid of the good ING.

cybamerc

Deg said:
You really are incredibly ignorant. These screens are framebuffer dumps. They can't possibly be any more perfect unless enhanced in some way. What you see is exactly what the GameCube outputs.

Kon Tiki

Banned
olimario said:
Wouldn't it be HOT if Samus was decieved and the Luminoth were evil and using Samus to get rid of the good ING.

Or what if samus goes on her rag and kills EVERYONE.

Deg

Banned
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102552312.jpg

Looks like a tiny version of Metroid Prime. The first form anyway, with the shell. Metroid Prime is clearly a Metroid and will play a big part in this game.

Scrow said:
the aliasing has nothing to do with the capture. that's what the GC is rendering.

Then explain why the picture quality looks different on my tv? Why no such very strong jaggies?

cybamerc said:
You really are incredibly ignorant. These screens are framebuffer dumps. They can't possibly be any more perfect unless enhanced in some way. What you see is exactly what the GameCube outputs.

These arent perfect. They are good but not perfect.

cybamerc

Deg:

> Then explain why the picture quality looks different on my tv? Why no such very strong jaggies?

We need the rolleyes back.

Games look different on your tv because:
1. TV tubes are lower quality than those those used for computer monitors and optimized for lower resolutions. The added softness + visible scanlines + line flickering helps reduce jagginess.
2. A deflicker filter is typically used in combination with interlaced outputs. It's basically a kind of blur filter that helps reduce jagginess.

> These arent perfect. They are good but not perfect.

For the last time. These screens are exactly what the GameCube renders. If you want something prettier you'll either have to talk Retro into redoing the graphics engine or enhance the pictures. 99.99% of all console screens that feature AA have been rendered at super high resolutions and downsampled in Photoshop.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Well, to add on to the story speculation, remember Metroid Prime and the Phazon weren't indigenous to Tallon IV, they arrived on that planet via a meteor and then resided in the impact crator.

I wouldn't be suprised if that meteor came from Aether.
99.99% of all console screens that feature AA have been rendered at super high resolutions and downsampled in Photoshop.
Hellooooooooooo MS! :D

AniHawk

olimario said:

Or you find out that she's the replica the whole time.

Deg

Banned
cybamerc said:
For the last time. These screens are exactly what the GameCube renders. If you want something prettier you'll either have to talk Retro into redoing the graphics engine or enhance the pictures. 99.99% of all console screens that feature AA have been rendered at super high resolutions and downsampled in Photoshop.

MP has better picture quality than any PS2 game. Ok. GC renders screens better than this. These are representative of other first party games. Take a look at MP6 for example. Its the same quality grabs.

The best screen grabs or frame buffer dumps I've seen lately are from Mario Tennis.

I have one ? though, what images are we to judge, the images posted on webpage with all the spoilers are smaller than whats on the media page, the smaller images are sharper. So which ones represent what we'll see on are televisions or HDTV, or if your like me on your PC monitor?

Are the larger images just stretched versions of the one shown on the webpage?

cybamerc

Deg:

Clearly this is beyond your level of comprehension so please do the smart thing and shut up.

cybamerc

OG_Original Gamer:

> The best screen grabs or frame buffer dumps I've seen lately are from Mario Tennis.

They've been enhanced.

> So which ones represent what we'll see on are televisions or HDTV, or if your like me on
> your PC monitor?

The bigger ones.

> Are the larger images just stretched versions of the one shown on the webpage?

No the large screens are what the GameCube has rendered.

ge-man

Scrow--Well I just assumed that was the case considering that most of Nintendo in general likes to keep things close their chest.

As for the captures, just take cybamerc words as the truth. These are framebuffer dumps, nothing more or less. This is what the GC pumps out, but it isn't indicative of what you will see in motion on your TV.

Deg

Banned
cybamerc said:
Deg:

Clearly this is beyond your level of comprehension so please do the smart thing and shut up.

lol. Actually its beyond your comprehension. Nintendo's first party games have the exact same type of grabs lately. That doesnt mean every Gc games have the same grabs.

Eric-GCA

Banned
away with thy petty arguments fools. Lets get back to oggling the screens. :D
metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102518095.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102516470.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102534954.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102529985.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102558734.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102558156.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102528626.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102524563.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102523970.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102523267.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102513392.jpg

Man, I'm so glad November isn't that far away now. Clearly, the best month for gaming in many years.

olimario

Banned
DSN2K said:
is it wrong If I dont give a shit about MP2 ?

(coming from someone who liked the first)

Matt seems to like it better in just about every area.
I have a feeling once you start it you'll give a couple of shits about it.

I'm in the same boat, although I know I'll like it once I play it so I've already put the cash down for it.

snapty00

Banned
olimario said:
Matt seems to like it better in just about every area.
I have a feeling once you start it you'll give a couple of shits about it.

I'm in the same boat, although I know I'll like it once I play it so I've already put the cash down for it.
The game might be the most revolutionary game to ever be released for all I know, but Matt C. isn't exactly a source of credible impressions. :\

cybamerc said:
No the large screens are what the GameCube has rendered.
I don't think anyones really arguing that these aren't what the gamecube is "actually" redering, thats obvious. But the fact is, these screens are fairly crappy looking because they are jpeg compressed all to hell. Just look at the colors around anything with a solid edge, its artifacted and blurry. These are good, but not 100%, as other people have already said.

snapty00 said:
The game might be the most revolutionary game to ever be released for all I know, but Matt C. isn't exactly a source of credible impressions. :\
Exactly, he's better known for pulling 180s after pimping games to the extreme :p

Top Bottom