• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

jgkspsx

Yay! Second ending!...
same as the first. Well, shit. I went out of my way to do everything as differently as possible this time, too. Argh.

Any tips on how to avoid the sixth ending?

Also, I still haven't figured out how this connects to the Dreamcast :(

dream

So I just learned about Chunsoft's 428 and I think we should guilt trip Akselziys and Tuesday into finding a way for their company to find a way to localize it for us.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dream said:
So I just learned about Chunsoft's 428 and I think we should guilt trip Akselziys and Tuesday into finding a way for their company to find a way to localize it for us.

428 is a very popular choice, but I'll be excited if we can do even more visual novels in the future :D!

Celine said:
This.
However I just noticed that Theresia is scheduled in Europe for next January.
Could someone that already played it tell me if it is a really worthy visual novel ?

Huh, wow. Better late than never I guess :lol Been wanting to play that for a while.

wsippel

Banned
Akselziys said:
428 is a very popular choice, but I'll be excited if we can do even more visual novels in the future :D!
So... Time Travelers?

Jokes aside, you're close to ASW, so get them working on Blazblue 3DS, please. Would love to kick some ass on the go. Maybe get some hints from Capcom or something? Also, considering Blazblue was initially planned as a RPG, that would be very nice on a portable as well (haven't bought a 3rd party JRPG since FFVII, but I'd be there day one). Aksys and ASW are suspiciously absent on Nintendos list - that should be rectified... ;)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wsippel said:
So... Time Travelers?

Jokes aside, you're close to ASW, so get them working on Blazblue 3DS, please. Would love to kick some ass on the go. Maybe get some hints from Capcom or something? Also, considering Blazblue was initially planned as a RPG, that would be very nice on a portable as well (haven't bought a 3rd party JRPG since FFVII, but I'd be there day one). Aksys and ASW are suspiciously absent on Nintendos list - that should be rectified... ;)

I wouldn't be too worried about that :) Look forward to all of our future titles and releases :D!

I'm loving all the new users that have popped up to check out 999 ;)!

Mashing

Welp, picked up the game today... I gotta finish another game I'm working on now, but this is next on my to play list.

Domstercool

Hey Akselziys

Sorry to push away from the 999 talk (It is awesome btw, second playthrough now) but I was wondering could you name me any other novel/adventure games that I should check out? I've played all the Ace Attorneys and Laytons.

I did hear something about Ever 17, so I might have to check that out on the PC, any other dude? :)

Hope to see more interesting games like this from Aksys :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Domstercool said:
Hey Akselziys

Sorry to push away from the 999 talk (It is awesome btw, second playthrough now) but I was wondering could you name me any other novel/adventure games that I should check out? I've played all the Ace Attorneys and Laytons.

I did hear something about Ever 17, so I might have to check that out on the PC, any other dude? :)

Hope to see more interesting games like this from Aksys :)

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni! :D You can actually purchase a digital version from here:

http://secure.hobibox.net/umineko/catalog.php

The PS3 version also comes out on 12/16/2010 in Japan :) http://www.umine.co

The final (?) chapter/game comes out this Winter at Comic Market in Japan :)

I cleared it all, really good stuff all in all :D

And I've just tried tracking down E17. No copies on eBay, and I doubt me being in the UK is gonna make it easier...

Well, I'll have more Umineko soon :D

Lain

Akselziys said:

I'd love you guys long time if you were able to bring out Umineko PS3 and/or White Album PS3 (I'd be interested in 428 a bit too, but only because of Canaan, which people disliked but I loved).
In the mean time, I finally have some spare money, so I'll be able to order a copy of 999.

Chatin

Just finished my third playthrough. I've gotten Ending 6 twice, and Ending 5 once...

On Ending 5:
The coffin! What a tease! I wanted to open that coffin!

iammeiam

Do all of the endings give the 'preview' telling you
which doors you should go through on your next play through
?

I mean, aside from the True Ending. I remember getting it on the
coffin and safe endings
, but can't figure out if I just failed to notice it on the 'bad' endings or if it doesn't exist for those.

iammeiam said:
Do all of the endings give the 'preview' telling you
which doors you should go through on your next play through
?

I mean, aside from the True Ending. I remember getting it on the
coffin and safe endings
, but can't figure out if I just failed to notice it on the 'bad' endings or if it doesn't exist for those.

Those are the only previews
which tell you how to get the normal and true endings respectively

epmode

I got this yesterday. I think I'm close to finishing it so I obviously like it a lot but holy shit @ the crawwwwwwlllllllllllingggggggg text speed. I'd have finished it ages ago if it wasn't for that.... which might be why there are no options to speed it up? Can't risk some mouthbreather skipping through the dialogue or something.

edit: Oh, I guess it's like Phoenix Wright and you can skip text in subsequent playthroughs. It's still pretty annoying though!

jgkspsx

epmode said:
I got this yesterday. I think I'm close to finishing it so I obviously like it a lot but holy shit @ the crawwwwwwlllllllllllingggggggg text speed. I'd have finished it ages ago if it wasn't for that.... which might be why there are no options to speed it up? Can't risk some mouthbreather skipping through the dialogue or something.

edit: Oh, I guess it's like Phoenix Wright and you can skip text in subsequent playthroughs. It's still pretty annoying though!
I thought it was at its worst for the first hour (which is a shame because some might not play beyond that). But there was much less frustration after that.

Also, "close to finishing" :lol

Say, to change the topic completely, would those who've completed it more successfully be willing to point out where I'm going wrong? Yes and no answers are probably best, I'd really prefer not to be spoiled.

If 5, 7, 8 get sent to 2, is that the sub ending period? Or are there times when that should happen? (Are the murders related to the device that Lotus sits in?)

Does forcing my way into 3 from the hospital room always end the game?

Should I try to stick with Akane? Or try to avoid her? I made much more progress avoiding her than sticking with her. Also, should I be nice to her while she's doing her paranormal monologues?

Does talking to people when Snake is missing affect the ending?

Is there a way to avoid Snake's death?

Should I push back against Ace's suggestion to trust one another? That combined with door 3 provided a shortcut to the Sub ending, which I'd like not to see again anytime soon.

Aside, not looking for commentary:
Ace seems most likely to be Zero - his behavior is way different than everyone else's, he's involved in the scene with the ninth man, and he's the one poohpoohing the idea that Zero is among them.

If it's not him, I can only presume that there is no Zero and the whole thing is some wacky St. Elsewhere kinda deal.

iammeiam

hosannainexcelsis said:
Those are the only previews
which tell you how to get the normal and true endings respectively

That's kind of unfortunate; it'd be nice to have each ending
direct you to another one.
At least now I don't feel like I missed something super-obvious.

Mzo

There is a flowchart image of the game that has no spoilers, just one word descriptors of conversations you need to hear as well as what number room to go through that shows you how to get all of the endings.

I played through the game making different decisions until I got the same ending twice. After that I went right to this for reference and I can safely say that nothing in the story was spoiled for me at all.

I'm going to post it now under a spoiler tag. Peek at your own risk.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/upup2211/999Pathtree.jpg

jgkspsx

Mzo said:
There is a flowchart image of the game that has no spoilers, just one word descriptors of conversations you need to hear as well as what number room to go through that shows you how to get all of the endings.

I played through the game making different decisions until I got the same ending twice. After that I went right to this for reference and I can safely say that nothing in the story was spoiled for me at all.

I'm going to post it now under a spoiler tag. Peek at your own risk.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/upup2211/999Pathtree.jpg
Fantastic! Thanks!

Edit: this is basically exactly what I need. Thanks a bunch!

Mzo

If you looked at the chart, jgkspcsapsjofjsfjx then you already know all the answers to this, but just in case I'll do the whole yes and no thing.

jgkspsx said:
If 5, 7, 8 get sent to 2, is that the sub ending period?

Yes.

Does forcing my way into 3 from the hospital room always end the game?

Yes.

Should I try to stick with Akane?

Yes.

Also, should I be nice to her while she's doing her paranormal monologues?

Yes.

Does talking to people when Snake is missing affect the ending?

No.

Is there a way to avoid Snake's death?

Yes, BUT
he always disappears at the same point in the story.

Should I push back against Ace's suggestion to trust one another?

Doesn't matter. Fewer conversations than you might think actually matter.

Mzo

Oh snaps dawg.

I was on my way out the door when I almost tripped on a package... went back inside to open it and it was my 999 digital watch! I'm still on my way out but I just wanted to mention that I was expecting something much, much cheaper for a free digital watch. This thing is sturdy and awesome!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Mzo said:
Oh snaps dawg.

I was on my way out the door when I almost tripped on a package... went back inside to open it and it was my 999 digital watch! I'm still on my way out but I just wanted to mention that I was expecting something much, much cheaper for a free digital watch. This thing is sturdy and awesome!

I'm glad you like it ;)

Gunloc said:
Second ending get!
(Knife)

So many questions.

Keep playing and you most likely will discover the answers :D

jgkspsx

Mzo said:
If you looked at the chart, jgkspcsapsjofjsfjx then you already know all the answers to this, but just in case I'll do the whole yes and no thing.
Thanks!

What can I say, it was the nineties. Consonants were in.

Mzo said:
Oh snaps dawg.

Lucky.

I finally picked up my GameStop preorder and was like, "Do you have my watch!?" but after about 5 minutes of trying to figure it all out, it looks like it was online preorders only. Guh.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
TheMissingLink said:
Lucky.

I finally picked up my GameStop preorder and was like, "Do you have my watch!?" but after about 5 minutes of trying to figure it all out, it looks like it was online preorders only. Guh.

You can grab one for free plus $4.95 s/h off our online store while they last :D

Mzo

Going through the true ending right now, pretty crazy stuff.

I've been trying to spread the word out about this game because I'd love to see more of these translated and released in the US. I think Capcom bringing over the Phoenix Wright series really softened up the market for these types of games. Just wanted to mention two things:

First off, awesome translation. I've played through this four times and have only found two spelling or grammatical errors. Other similar games have been cringe-worthy messes, so amazing job on that.

Second, the one complaint I've heard from almost everyone that I've talked to is that the text is too slow. While I'm pretty patient and enjoy the quaint little noises while I watch the words crawl by, sometime around the third playthrough while going through one of the longer ending sequences I could feel my patience start to strain. This could easily be solved by letting the player hit a button early to force an entire sentence on screen immediately, or by having a speed setting where fastest is instant text. I've seen these options in other text games and, while the scrolling text speed may be fine for many, I don't see the negative in including more options.

Ferrio

Banned
Mzo said:
Going through the true ending right now, pretty crazy stuff.

I've been trying to spread the word out about this game because I'd love to see more of these translated and released in the US. I think Capcom bringing over the Phoenix Wright series really softened up the market for these types of games. Just wanted to mention two things:

First off, awesome translation. I've played through this four times and have only found two spelling or grammatical errors. Other similar games have been cringe-worthy messes, so amazing job on that.

Second, the one complaint I've heard from almost everyone that I've talked to is that the text is too slow. While I'm pretty patient and enjoy the quaint little noises while I watch the words crawl by, sometime around the third playthrough while going through one of the longer ending sequences I could feel my patience start to strain. This could easily be solved by letting the player hit a button early to force an entire sentence on screen immediately, or by having a speed setting where fastest is instant text. I've seen these options in other text games and, while the scrolling text speed may be fine for many, I don't see the negative in including more options.

You can speed up the text on your 2nd+ playthrough, do wish it was an instant skip though.

Mzo

You can speed up everything you've read previously. Anything that is new to your game will still be at default speed (glacier).

Domstercool

Thanks Akselziys!

I will have to get the PC version of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni! since I don't know Japanese! But I'll certainly check that out once I've got the endings in 999 ^_^

7Th

True Ending question, now that Akselziys is still here:

Seven didn't lose his memory at all, did he? He was working with Akane and Aoi the whole time, right?

Apenheul

I thought that if I liked Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright series I might like this aswell. It's on its way from videogamesplus and I can't wait to check it out. Does this game have multiple save-slots btw?

jgkspsx said:
No, just one.

Aw, teh suck.. I hate design decisions like that. I like to get people enthusiastic for games and let them play for a bit, but if it's only one save-slot I can't.

jgkspsx

BAD END gotten. *shakes fist at ambiguous ending*

Oh, a thought I had but have forgotten to express about the sub ending...
Why doesn't Akane's bracelet open?

Apenheul said:
I thought that if I liked Hotel Dusk and the Phoenix Wright series I might like this aswell. It's on its way from videogamesplus and I can't wait to check it out. Does this game have multiple save-slots btw?
No, just one.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
7Th said:
True Ending question, now that Akselziys is still here:

Seven didn't lose his memory at all, did he? He was working with Akane and Aoi the whole time, right?

Yup :D That's what Junpei's comments about Seven in the true ending insinuate ;)

Mockingbird said:
Ordered one! But if the watch is free, then why do I get charged sales tax?

I think that might be a paypal store thing?

Belisarius

Neo Member
Mockingbird said:
Ordered one! But if the watch is free, then why do I get charged sales tax?
As Akselziys guessed, it has to do with PayPal. PayPal manages all of our transactions, and it won't allow you to set the price of an item at nothing, so we just set the price of the item at $4.95. Since the money is the price of the item, not shipping in PayPal's "mind", it'll charge you sales tax if you live in California. Unfortunately.

Lain

I've ordered my copy off VG+ today. Now I can only hope it won't take the usual 3 to 4 weeks to get here in Italy.

Celine

Lain said:
I've ordered my copy off VG+ today. Now I can only hope it won't take the usual 3 to 4 weeks to get here in Italy.
You mean videogamesplus.ca ?
I couldn't find the product page yesterday so I ordered from AxelMusic.

Got the game yesterday and played it non-stop. I managed to get the
bad ending where I was axe murdered by that crazy little girl. That fucking bitch. How old is she anyway?

Awesome game so far. I won't put it down until I unlock all the endings.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Obsessed said:
bad ending where I was axe murdered by that crazy little girl. That fucking bitch. How old is she anyway?

Clover is 18 :)

Obsessed said:

Iwant here to post exact same story !

Got it yesterday, played non stop and got the same frustrating ending. so far... I LOVE it !

Even if it reminds me a lot of CUBE movies.

In fact, I fear I guessed some ending twists
They're not really in a boy right
?

I'm tryong to get safe ending. I heard it was needed to get good ending.

I suppose you don't/can't ship the watch to Sweden? Just checking to be sure, it'd be a shame to miss out on something like this.

Lain

Celine said:
You mean videogamesplus.ca ?
I couldn't find the product page yesterday so I ordered from AxelMusic.

Yep.
I've been reading about people ordering from AxelMusic from time to time on here, but I've never used it. How's the delivery time from them? I love VG+ but lately it takes ages for games to get here (I only received Oath in Felghana basically some days ago, and they shipped it to me on release date).

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Oh, just in case anyone is interested, the official ages of all the characters are as follows :D :

Junpei: 21 Years Old

June: 21 Years Old

Santa: 24 Years Old

Clover: 18 Years Old

Snake: 24 Years Old

Lotus: 40 Years Old

Seven: 45 Years Old

Ace: 50 Years Old

Nona and her twin sister: 21 years old

Snytbaggen said:
I suppose you don't/can't ship the watch to Sweden? Just checking to be sure, it'd be a shame to miss out on something like this.

I wish :( You'll have to find someone that can send it to you unfortunately :(

Top Bottom