• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
X_X

I hope you guys beef up your Canada support in the future. We can't buy from your online site, we aren't offered any of the pre-order bonuses, and your games are often very difficult to find on store shelves.

I've been recommending this game to many people, but it's hard for them to follow through when there isn't any copies to buy.

We just want to love you Aksys.

I wish we could too, but the powers that be won't let our online store to ship to Canada due to extra shipping charges and customs :( And we only send copies to retailers that decide to order it too, which makes it a bit of a rock and a hard place...

My apologies for that :(

Hey, this got me thinking...can't the characters just scan their numbers on the RED and look around to see if there's anything strange before entering? Like take a peek to see where's the DEAD located, stuff like that?

Ferrio

Banned
Akselziys said:
Are you talking about the
OPEN
HERE
FIND
BULB

part?

Ya

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Kind of a neat thing I stumbled upon, but it seems that in Shiren The Wanderer 5 (for DS), which is another title by Chunsoft, you are able to get
an item called the "Nonary Bracelet" :D

If you equip it and walk through a door, you will explode :lol

Here's an image of the Nonary Bracelet:

http://shiren-blog.chunsoft.jp/23_000.jpg

Pretty neat cameo item they put in the game! I also like that it has the kanji for "9" on its face :D

Ferrio said:

I want to say it's the same :)

Mashing

Akselziys said:
I can't officially disclose numbers, but I'll just say we're pleased :D

And we hope more and more people can come to enjoy 999 too! :)

I've seen this thread on the forum, but I always skipped over. I didn't even know it was a DS game. Now that I've read some reviews and this thread, I'm frothing at the mouth to go pick it up.

dreamfall

I've got a question about a puzzle (fairly early in the game).

I know that I needed to use the slot machines to get a 7-7-7 to unlock the card reader, but I felt like I was randomly trying to time it until I got it right. I did eventually get it, and I knew what I had to do, but I kept messing it up. Is there a chime to time it? Or any easier way to proceed? I'm worried about this puzzle on another playthough!

Belisarius

Neo Member
dreamfall said:
I've got a question about a puzzle (fairly early in the game).

I know that I needed to use the slot machines to get a 7-7-7 to unlock the card reader, but I felt like I was randomly trying to time it until I got it right. I did eventually get it, and I knew what I had to do, but I kept messing it up. Is there a chime to time it? Or any easier way to proceed? I'm worried about this puzzle on another playthough!
The timing doesn't matter—it's the order you press the buttons in that matters.

Un-spoiler the following spoiler for the solution...
Turn on both the lights over the fireplace to find the order you're supposed to press the buttons in.

dreamfall

Jesus. It now all makes sense... GAH! Thank you though-

I saw the fireplace, and turned on the lights for the symbols, thinking that those were the unlock order that had to display on the slots. Then after fumbling with it for a bit, I put my cards in the slot reader and was missing the 7 card, so I figured it had to be 7-7-7. And then, I spent almost 20 minutes pressing the buttons randomly like an idiot hell bent on timing. But thank you!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Mashing said:
I've seen this thread on the forum, but I always skipped over. I didn't even know it was a DS game. Now that I've read some reviews and this thread, I'm frothing at the mouth to go pick it up.

Can't wait to see what you think when you get the chance to play it :D!

Domstercool

I've just got myself a copy! Since I live in the UK I had to import it but alas it is in my hands!! Going to open it, sniff all its freshness and then start :D

7Th

Just finished my second playthrough, Safe Ending, after
getting killed
in the Knife Ending. The puzzles are really, really easy, but they're very well implemented and the storytelling is good enough that you don't really care that you're just solving Sudoku most of the time.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
7Th said:
Just finished my second playthrough, Safe Ending, after
getting killed
in the Knife Ending. The puzzles are really, really easy, but they're very well implemented and the storytelling is good enough that you don't really care that you're just solving Sudoku most of the time.

Yeah, the story is pretty spellbinding :3

Domstercool said:
I've just got myself a copy! Since I live in the UK I had to import it but alas it is in my hands!! Going to open it, sniff all its freshness and then start :D

I'm excited that our Euro brethren can enjoy it too! :D

It's funny, so many reviews have mentioned losing sleep over the game because you can't stop playing.

The last two nights have consisted of the following: "Oh, I'll just play for half an hour before I go to bed."

*Three Hours Later*

"Um, I better go to bed soon. Right after this conversation!"

*Continues Playing*

Ferrio

Banned
2cr9ff7.gif

jgkspsx

Hey, Gunloc. I have the watch, and while it is awesome and quite impressive, it is not something I am likely to wear or put on display. Want mine?

jgkspsx said:
Hey, Gunloc. I have the watch, and while it is awesome and quite impressive, it is not something I am likely to wear or put on display. Want mine?
That's okay. Thanks for the offer though.

My friend in the states already said he'd order one for me.

7Th

Gunloc said:
It's funny, so many reviews have mentioned losing sleep over the game because you can't stop playing.

The last two nights have consisted of the following: "Oh, I'll just play for half an hour before I go to bed."

*Three Hours Later*

"Um, I better go to bed soon. Right after this conversation!"

*Continues Playing*

The exact same thing happened to me last night. :lol

Hamblasto

7Th said:
The exact same thing happened to me last night. :lol

I spent the Sunday after Thanksgiving playing until 1 a.m. to complete the true ending.

... I needed to get up for class at 6 a.m.

kiryogi

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I want it :eek: Turns out my gamestop never got them despite preordering! Good thing I picked it up at a different one. Sorta :lol

dvolovets

I've been bitten by the 999 bug. Bought it on a whim because of a yearning for another Phoenix Wright-esque text adventure and I'm really enjoying it. I picked up from where I left off last night at 11 for what I thought would be 10 minutes, and that turned into a 2 hour session. I had to get up at 6 this morning to get to class on time. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dvolovets said:
I've been bitten by the 999 bug. Bought it on a whim because of a yearning for another Phoenix Wright-esque text adventure and I'm really enjoying it. I picked up from where I left off last night at 11 for what I thought would be 10 minutes, and that turned into a 2 hour session. I had to get up at 6 this morning to get to class on time. :)

Such is the power of 999 :D

Making people lose sleep since 2010 :lol

Akselziys said:
Kind of a neat thing I stumbled upon, but it seems that in Shiren The Wanderer 5 (for DS), which is another title by Chunsoft, you are able to get
an item called the "Nonary Bracelet" :D

If you equip it and walk through a door, you will explode :lol

Here's an image of the Nonary Bracelet:

http://shiren-blog.chunsoft.jp/23_000.jpg

Pretty neat cameo item they put in the game! I also like that it has the kanji for "9" on its face :D

Does that mean Aksys will consider Shiren 5?

Hyunkel6

Finished it last night. Bad ending. I'm kinda disappointed. I thought I made the good choices during the game, and was looking for at least an "acceptable" ending.

But man, this game took over my life for the last week. I didn't even get a chance to start Golden Sun, and that's saying a lot. I'm a big fan of the series.

Some parts of the game really freaked me out. I was playing in the dark alone at home when Lotus started talking about the
British psychic experiment
and its bizarre conclusion. I swear to god. I felt something brush past my shoulder at that moment, and I got up to turn on the lights. I still kept on playing tough. :lol

Solving the puzzles was easy for the most part. The challenge was to find all the hints.

I'll be taking a break from the game until next week. Anything I need to know for a second playthrough? Any tips for a better ending? Also, does the identity of Zero change depending on the choices you make during the game?

Ferrio

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
I'll be taking a break from the game until next week. Anything I need to know for a second playthrough? Any tips for a better ending? Also, does the identity of Zero change depending on the choices you make during the game?

Boooo, keep playing. You're going to have to play at least 2 more times to get the real ending. There's one ending you have to get first in order to see the real one. Well maybe you got that one on your first playthrough?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
Boooo, keep playing. You're going to have to play at least 2 more times to get the real ending. There's one ending you have to get first in order to see the real one. Well maybe you got that one on your first playthrough?

Yeah, playing through all the endings only makes it that much more amazing! :D

Domstercool

I've just spent all day sat in my room and playing this game. I've just finished my play through and got the 4th ending in the ? boxes.

I couldn't put it down. The story and characters are really interesting and I was always wanting to know what happened next.

I feel I've not learnt things about all the characters so I am going to restart it now. I also want to see the other endings as I feel the one I got was a little quick and short!

Any other games like this. I've played all the Layton and Phoenix games but I'm interested in some other text/puzzle adventures :D

*loads*

Max

I am not Max
After checking out some pots and pans with Santa and Junpei:

"Hey did you see that new action flick?"
"Yeah I heard it was universally panned"
"It was enjoyable with some pot"
:lol

quote isn't exact

mjc

Got a copy after looking over this thread. The only thing that sucks about it is that I bought it at Gamestop and it was the last copy. I hate paying full price for an opened (but it's new!) game. I feel cheated and dirty. (Probably should have bought it from Amazon...)

Vamphuntr

Yeah this is hard to find in Canada. Tried to look for it in Montreal with no luck. Tried 2 gamestop, 1 futureshop and 2 independant stores and gave up. Had to order it up online at a whopping 40$ plus shipping from gamestop.ca . It better be as awesome you guys are saying :lol . Oh well I have Golden Sun to play meanwhile.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Max said:
After checking out some pots and pans with Santa and Junpei:

"Hey did you see that new action flick?"
"Yeah I heard it was universally panned"
"It was enjoyable with some pot"
:lol

quote isn't exact

Anyone who says "with some pot" does not smoke pot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh bloody hell.

Spent a great deal of time on the first puzzle in frustration because I couldn't figure out the red/blue briefcase combination.

When I look upon Mr. Google for salvation, I found to my surprise that I missed one clue item that was said hidden under a pillow!

BAH. Bloody annoying to miss something like that :\

By the way, the artist for this game, is he/she the same one as the one in Arc Rise Phantasia? His/her style is very attractive to me.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Laughing Banana said:
Oh bloody hell.

Spent a great deal of time on the first puzzle in frustration because I couldn't figure out the red/blue briefcase combination.

When I look upon Mr. Google for salvation, I found to my surprise that I missed one clue item that was said hidden under a pillow!

BAH. Bloody annoying to miss something like that :\

By the way, the artist for this game, is he/she the same one as the one in Arc Rise Phantasia? His/her style is very attractive to me.

Arc Rise Fantasia's artist is the same artist as Eureka 7's. 999's artist is Kinu Nishimura of Street Fighter fame. :D

I love Arc Rise Fantasia's art myself ;)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Akselziys said:
Arc Rise Fantasia's artist is the same artist as Eureka 7's. 999's artist is Kinu Nishimura of Street Fighter fame. :D

I love Arc Rise Fantasia's art myself ;)

Huh, different person then? The very first thing that jumped into my head when I looked on this game's art style is Arc Rise Fantasia--it seemed so similar in my eyes....? Weird. Attractive, nevertheless, which is good.

Anyways, thank you for bringing games like this. It's a refreshing change of pace between all the shooters and action games that infested gaming landscapes these days.

Too bad I am at work now so I can't play my DS yet :(

jgkspsx

First ending. 6. Boo.
Say, why aren't there 9...?

Actual spoiler:
why do I have this sneaking suspicion that one of the many corpses wasn't dead...?

JKTrix

That Shiren thing is awesome. Another series/subgenre I've gotten to love thanks to the DS.

I have an extra watch to take home to my friend in Bermuda when I go back for Christmas. He picked up the game after hearing me talk about it for the last couple of months and really digs it.

jgkspsx

Remember, kids, the game says at the beginning that it's fiction for a reason! Because it is!

Things that don't exist in reality:
- Ice 9 (look up the actual properties of Ice IX - not very exciting)
- an unsunk Britannic (i.e. Gigantic) floating somewhere off some shore
- Morphic fields
- glycerin crystallization magic
- telepathy
- Rupert Sheldrake... wait, he does exist. I was just wishing there for a minute.

I don't really know where it's ultimately going with this stuff, but I just wanted to get that out there!

kiryogi

Banned
Finally got the true ending. Man, it's been one hell of a ride. I will say that the ending is sorta evil in terms of where it leaves you :lol But I'll leave it at that and finally check out Uchikoshi's other masterpiece, Ever 17.

koma

Does anyone know if the game will ever be released in Europe? Or should i order now the US version before it will be hard to find? :(

kiryogi said:
Finally got the true ending. Man, it's been one hell of a ride. I will say that the ending is sorta evil in terms of where it leaves you :lol But I'll leave it at that and finally check out Uchikoshi's other masterpiece, Ever 17.

Wait. It's from the same writer? Director? What do they have in common? I love Ever 17; in fact, it got me into visual novels. I already bought this, but I've still yet to play.

Edit: I just checked wikipedia. So he wrote Ever 17. Wow! Now my expectations for this game jumped up a lot!

My sister will be mailing me this and other games later this month. I can't wait!

kiryogi

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Wait. It's from the same writer? Director? What do they have in common? I love Ever 17; in fact, it got me into visual novels. I already bought this, but I've
still yet to play.
Same writer :eek: Actually, for 9 9 9, he's director. :D

But it was this fact that helped me sell this game to a friend :D He was on the fence about 999 and didn't know wtf it was. But when I mentioned it's from the same guy that wrote E17, he was sold.

Also dunno if this was posted before. But some great insight on 9 9 9, and Uchikoshi (Not to mention E17!)

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/0...s-interview-gets-philosophical-then-personal/

Celine

slaughterking said:
Too bad this is not coming out in Europe. I may import it if the impressions are good, but I would definitely impulse-buy it if I ever saw it on a store shelf.
This.
However I just noticed that Theresia is scheduled in Europe for next January.
Could someone that already played it tell me if it is a really worthy visual novel ?

wsippel

Banned
Ferrio said:
No it's like watching the history channel, cause Ice-9 isn't real.
Ice-9 (or "Ice-nine", as Kurt Vonnegut actually spelled it) isn't, but Ice IX is a very real, polymorph, proton-ordered form of solid water. Has different properties, though... ;)

Top Bottom