• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

dream

I want to put Akselziys through what I just went through in the ending I just got.

Onto the second playthrough!

Wow, the system for a second playthrough is pretty slick. And uncharacteristically considerate for a Japanese designed game.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dream said:
I want to put Akselziys through what I just went through in the ending I just got.

Wow, the system for a second playthrough is pretty slick. And uncharacteristically considerate for a Japanese designed game.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And don't you worry, I've probably already been through whatever you're feeling, since I beat all the endings twice each :D
Once each for work and then again for pleasure ;)

What ending did you see and what emotion did it elicit :)?

dream

Akselziys said:
I'm glad you're enjoying it! And don't you worry, I've probably already been through whatever you're feeling, since I beat all the endings twice each :D
Once each for work and then again for pleasure ;)

What ending did you see and what emotion did it elicit :)?

The one where Clover hacked me up with an axe. :( I didn't see it coming until she begged everyone to explore door #2...then I got a sudden "oh god, I'm screwed" feeling. I WAS SO CLOSE TO FREEDOM AND GETTING ANSWERS!

God, I love this game.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dream said:
The one where Clover hacked me up with an axe. :( I didn't see it coming until she begged everyone to explore door #2...then I got a sudden "oh god, I'm screwed" feeling. I WAS SO CLOSE TO FREEDOM AND GETTING ANSWERS!

God, I love this game.

Haha, I love it too :D!

And I totally know what you mean with that ending lol But I still love Clover <3

dream

You guys happy with the sales so far? This seems like one of those games that end up with a huge following through word of mouth like the original Ace Attorney.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dream said:
You guys happy with the sales so far? This seems like one of those games that end up with a huge following through word of mouth like the original Ace Attorney.

I can't officially disclose numbers, but I'll just say we're pleased :D

And we hope more and more people can come to enjoy 999 too! :)

Loving it so far.

Akselziys said:
I can't officially disclose numbers, but I'll just say we're pleased :D

And we hope more and more people can come to enjoy 999 too! :)
Sweet. Visual novel/adventure games FTW.

You guys should play up the great critical reception it's been getting. I'm thinking with all the positive word of mouth, it's going to be more and more sought after.

Volcynika

Tricky I Shadow said:
Akselziys, how come this didn’t release outside of America/Japan?

Because a publisher has to pick it up for other regions? That's how it works for the most part. I'm pretty sure Aksys doesn't have any EU branches or anything. Atlus / XSEED have put stuff out in EU, but only on digital distribution, smaller companies won't chance distributing in EU with games that require physical media, like this DS game.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Gunloc said:
Loving it so far.

Sweet. Visual novel/adventure games FTW.

You guys should play up the great critical reception it's been getting. I'm thinking with all the positive word of mouth, it's going to be more and more sought after.

I'm super hyped that you love it too :D!

And I went ahead and made a 999 reviews OT at our official forums (for everyone to see and discuss them at), which has all the current reviews in the OP.

http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/980

I'll plop any new ones there as well :)

Tricky I Shadow said:
Akselziys, how come this didn’t release outside of America/Japan?

Like Volcy said, the original rights holder, Chunsoft, would have to approach a European publisher (or vice versa) and set a deal into place to do so.

We were only licensed for and are responsible for localization and distribution of the game in North America :)

Volcynika said:
Because a publisher has to pick it up for other regions? That's how it works for the most part. I'm pretty sure Aksys doesn't have any EU branches or anything. Atlus / XSEED have put stuff out in EU, but only on digital distribution, smaller companies won't chance distributing in EU with games that require physical media, like this DS game.

Also, publishers aren't allowed to distribute physical media in other territories unless they have a branch there. The reason why they try to get around that by doing digital distribution :) We've done the same with WiiWare titles and DSiWare titles.

dream said:

Actually I thought it wasn't considerate enough - that was my main gripe with the game. Visual novels I've played on PC have tons of save slots, allowing you to save at every decision point and go directly to the one you want to make a different choice at. Also, some of them make it possible to go into auto-skip mode with just the push of a button. Having only the one save slot and having to keep holding down right to skip text annoyed me a little. Moreover, you should have been given the option to skip puzzles you had done before. If you just want to get past one to get to a decision point, it becomes tedious to go through the same memorized motions again and again. Not a huge problem, but it would have been nice to have a smoother system for repeat playthroughs.

Belisarius

Neo Member
hosannainexcelsis said:
Actually I thought it wasn't considerate enough - that was my main gripe with the game. Visual novels I've played on PC have tons of save slots, allowing you to save at every decision point and go directly to the one you want to make a different choice at. Also, some of them make it possible to go into auto-skip mode with just the push of a button. Having only the one save slot and having to keep holding down right to skip text annoyed me a little. Moreover, you should have been given the option to skip puzzles you had done before. If you just want to get past one to get to a decision point, it becomes tedious to go through the same memorized motions again and again. Not a huge problem, but it would have been nice to have a smoother system for repeat playthroughs.

I'm assuming you've hit the True End...
Story-wise that wouldn't quite make sense, though. It kind of needs to be all or nothing for the end to make sense. Which is a bit weak, I know, but still.

Korigama

Finally picked this up on Sunday (it was the last copy my Gamestop had), but gonna have to avoid this thread in the meantime. I'm saving this for Christmas.

dream

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. I'm working my way through the true ending and this is some really fucking smart storytelling. Holy shit.

The reason you don't get the true ending until your second playthrough is just...jesus...Kojima done right. Wow.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
dream said:
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. I'm working my way through the true ending and this is some really fucking smart storytelling. Holy shit.

The reason you don't get the true ending until your second playthrough is just...jesus...Kojima done right. Wow.

So much love for
the true ending! :D

dream

And I'm done. What a brilliant game. I think 999 has actually displaced Snatcher as my all-time favorite visual novel.

I hope 999 gets mentions when people talk about excellence in video game storytelling or just straight up mindfucks. It has such a complicated story but the quality of the writing made it far less convoluted and easy to understand than it really had any right to be. This is a game I want to tell pretty much everyone about but I don't even know how to do it.

I love how Akselziys and Tuesday are all over this thread, too. It's cool seeing people who worked on a game be so involved with their customers. And since I know Akselziys is here somewhere...

What was up with Akane's fever?

And while you guys are here, please find more games like 999 and localize them just for me.

Belisarius

Neo Member
dream said:
And I'm done. What a brilliant game. I think 999 has actually displaced Snatcher as my all-time favorite visual novel.

I hope 999 gets mentions when people talk about excellence in video game storytelling or just straight up mindfucks. It has such a complicated story but the quality of the writing made it far less convoluted and easy to understand than it really had any right to be. This is a game I want to tell pretty much everyone about but I don't even know how to do it.

I love how Akselziys and Tuesday are all over this thread, too. It's cool seeing people who worked on a game be so involved with their customers. And since I know Akselziys is here somewhere...

What was up with Akane's fever?

And while you guys are here, please find more games like 999 and localize them just for me.

Glad you liked it so much. :3

As far as
Akane's fever, my theory is that it's some sort of psychic/temporal feedback from getting burned alive. As you do poorly, she gets worse, and in one of the endings it even kills her. I don't know if Chunsoft ever gave us a straight answer as to what the deal was, but they did say other people in Japan has put forward the same "burning alive" theory.

Tuesday said:
I mentioned options yesterday, and now those options are available. Over in our store, you can find the following:
Sadly, we can only ship these items to the continental United States, but if you missed out on the pre-order, or just didn't care to order online from Gamestop, you can still get a watch. Hooray!

I apologize for being such an obvious shill, but I figured some of you might be interested in alternate purchase options.
I know this post is a million years old, but I wanted to ask...

Will you guys eventually have your store set up to ship to Canada? I really want one of those watches. ;_;

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tuesday said:
Glad you liked it so much. :3

As far as
Akane's fever, my theory is that it's some sort of psychic/temporal feedback from getting burned alive. As you do poorly, she gets worse, and in one of the endings it even kills her. I don't know if Chunsoft ever gave us a straight answer as to what the deal was, but they did say other people in Japan has put forward the same "burning alive" theory.

Yeah, that's super awesome that you finished and that you love it that immensely! :D
As do Tuesday and I ;)

What Tuesday said about the fever was correct, except that Chunsoft chuckled that while that sounds like a very logical and fitting idea, they hadn't really given it that kind of forethought for such a connection haha. Her fever did occur though if you got further and further away from the true ending, thus negating her existence from the current time line XD;

2465rue.jpg

Game get.

I must say, this has quickly become one of my favourite DS games. The writing and localization are top-notch, and frankly, it's near impossible to put down once you've started. If anyone's still on the fence about buying it, you shouldn't be. Don't miss out on one of the best adventure games yet!

Also, in the first sequence, try clicking on the ladder a few times. Hilarious.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Scalpel Knight said:
2465rue.jpg

Game get.

I must say, this has quickly become one of my favourite DS games. The writing and localization are top-notch, and frankly, it's near impossible to put down once you've started. If anyone's still on the fence about buying it, you shouldn't be. Don't miss out on one of the best adventure games yet!

Also, in the first sequence, try clicking on the ladder a few times. Hilarious.

That makes me really happy :D Thanks for all the kind words and I hope you continue to enjoy it! ;)

Gunloc said:
I know this post is a million years old, but I wanted to ask...

Will you guys eventually have your store set up to ship to Canada? I really want one of those watches. ;_;

Unfortunately no :( If you had an address that you could send it to in the US or a friend in the US we can ship it to and then have them send it to you, that could work :)

Otherwise you might have to resort to ebay :(

Belisarius

Neo Member
Koroshi said:
How much do the watches cost?
They are free! But you have to pay $4.95 for shipping. Our shipping apparatus is a terrifying eldritch machine that belches acrid, choking smog and burns the souls of the innocent to power its hulking, iron frame. Those souls don't buy themselves.

Ferrio

Banned
Tuesday said:
The are free! But you have to pay $4.95 for shipping. Our shipping apparatus is a terrifying eldritch machine that belches acrid, choking smog and burns the souls of the innocent to power its hulking, iron frame. Those souls don't buy themselves.

Do you guys ship to alaska?

Belisarius

Neo Member
Ferrio said:
Do you guys ship to alaska?
Sadly, no, but your beautiful land is home to the majestic caribou, and that is a pleasure that we, in California, can never know, which I think is a fair trade.

This is a lie. Except for the part about caribou, who are some of nature's most beautiful creations.

I got my game and the watch in.

Still no DS to play it on.

the 3DS will allow me to play it though right?

Instead of buying a DS now I might as well wait for the 3DS and let this be the first game to grace it.

Ferrio

Banned
Tuesday said:
Sadly, no, but your beautiful land is home to the majestic caribou, and that is a pleasure that we, in California, can never know, which I think is a fair trade.

You guys just lost 999 pimping points!

:( I'm saddened.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
You guys just lost 999 pimping points!

:( I'm saddened.

Correction, we actually do ship to Alaska, so feel free to pimp away, my friend :D!

Tuesday was just confused, since Alaska is in a far away magical land :)

Ferrio

Banned
Akselziys said:
Correction, we actually do ship to Alaska, so feel free to pimp away, my friend :D!

Resuming shortly.

Also, does Aksys plan to start publishing more visual novel type games? Any currently planned?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
Resuming shortly.

Also, does Aksys plan to start publishing more visual novel type games? Any currently planned?

Well, the future is always open to the realm of possibility, but I think both Tuesday and myself would love to see that happen :D

I got the
safe/letter
ending today and immediately after I went for the true ending. And holy shit was it good.
Never suspected that Junpei would get info from my previous playthrough through the morphogenic field, so that blew me away. Pure genious. And the last part with Akane was also very well done. However, I didn't quite understand what happened to her, is she still alive in the current timeline or was she just a "ghost" all the time? And who was that woman at the very end?

She was
never dead. After the credits, Seven admits he never saw her body. Since June's sibling was on the ship instead of in Nevada, she reaches out to her closet 9 year old friend for sudoku spoilers. Only problem was that he was 9 years in the future. After solving the puzzle, she then orchestrated the secondary Nonary game to preserve the timeline.

UncleScr00ge said:
She was
never dead. After the credits, Seven admits he never saw her body. Since June's sibling was on the ship instead of in Nevada, she reaches out to her closet 9 year old friend for sudoku spoilers. Only problem was that he was 9 years in the future. After solving the puzzle, she then orchestrated the secondary Nonary game to preserve the timeline.
Oh, now I understand. But that doesn't answer my other question:
who was the woman in the end pic?

never even knew this was out. remember seeing the trailer few weeks back though and was very impressed. Seems everyone on here loves it so all good.

As I am in the UK I will have to import. I am def gonna do it as the game sounds awesome!

Also why the fcuk is IGN so slow to review this?

Oh snap, I just realised another thing... (true ending spoiler)
In the true ending they realise that Zero talked about "q" instead of "9" for the final door, but that just works in written text and they heard it spoken through a loudspeaker... However, i you were to say it in Japanese, "nine" and "q" would sound the same (kyuu).

Belisarius

Neo Member
Snytbaggen said:
Oh snap, I just realised another thing... (true ending spoiler)
In the true ending they realise that Zero talked about "q" instead of "9" for the final door, but that just works in written text and they heard it spoken through a loudspeaker... However, i you were to say it in Japanese, "nine" and "q" would sound the same (kyuu).
As I recall,
Zero doesn't SAY 9 over the loudspeaker. He gives Junpei a note about it, which he reads. But yes, it was over the loudspeaker in the original Japanese version. We had to change it to a note for the exact reason you describe.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yeah, that
was one of the more trickier changes we had to make, since it relied heavily on the Japanese :lol Thus instead of the loud speaker, they all received notes, and the "q" was wrote in a way that made it look like a "9" purposefully in the note graphic of course ;) Yet it was still a lower case q for all intents and purposes.

Only Snake would know it was a "q" since it would say "q" in braille :lol

dream

If I ask nicely, would you guys talk more about the translation process? Any cool war stories like the one above?

Ferrio

Banned
dream said:
If I ask nicely, would you guys talk more about the translation process? Any cool war stories like the one above?

Ya, what about the
Library puzzle with the books, curious what it said originally

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Ferrio said:
Ya, what about the
Library puzzle with the books, curious what it said originally

Are you talking about the
&#65327;&#65328;&#65317;&#65326;
&#65320;&#65317;&#65330;&#65317;
&#65318;&#65321;&#65326;&#65316;
&#65314;&#65333;L&#65314;

part?

dream said:

Well, for the very first puzzle
it originally had "Aka" and "Aoi" (Aka = red and Aoi = blue in Japanese) in katakana on the notes, but Aka was in blue and Aoi was in red and you had to figure out the code via a number scheme involving each kana @_@

So obviously we had to change it to what it is now with the triangles and arrows :D

I'll let Tuesday explain some others ;)

Akselziys said:
Unfortunately no :( If you had an address that you could send it to in the US or a friend in the US we can ship it to and then have them send it to you, that could work :)

Otherwise you might have to resort to ebay :(
X_X

I hope you guys beef up your Canada support in the future. We can't buy from your online site, we aren't offered any of the pre-order bonuses, and your games are often very difficult to find on store shelves.

I've been recommending this game to many people, but it's hard for them to follow through when there isn't any copies to buy.

We just want to love you Aksys.

Belisarius

Neo Member
dream said:
(The spoilers here are a name of a person who is fairly relevant to the plot. If you solved a puzzle that involved some books and gave you a name you'd heard before, they you won't spoil anything for yourself by reading this.)

The only thing I can remember off the top of my head is when you get "Sheldrake-5" from one of the puzzles--at least I think that's what it is. Something with Sheldrake in it. At any rate, by this point in the game you know who Sheldrake is--or you learn pretty quickly--so the name has some relevance to the player. In the original Japanese version of the game, the name you got was "Shieldlake". In Japanese, those words are very similar phonetically. The interesting thing here is that Chunsoft hasn't messed up and misspelled his name: They had misspelled it on purpose, apparently out of a concern that, since Sheldrake is a real man who is still alive, there could be Legal Troubles. I thought this was rather amusing since a) It is clearly a reference to him, and his theories, no matter how you spell it, and b) they had no compunctions whatsoever about using the term "ice-9", which a very large number of people would recognize as being obviously cribbed from Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle". We went back and forth with Chunsoft about it for a while, and tried to write around it--a process which spawned gems like "Ah... This must refer to the town of Shieldlake, England, where the biochemist Rupert Sheldrake conducted many of his experiments."--but eventually they relented and Sheldrake's name appears in the game in all of it's vaguely-medieval glory.

I guess I don't know how "cool" that is, but I thought it was kind of amusing.

Top Bottom