• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Holy shit, what the hell is going on? This game is ridiculous. I almost don't want to play so it doesn't end. This story is AMAZING. So ridiculous.

Haha, but you must keep going! You won't be able to resist :D!

dvolovets

I played through 2 endings today and am about to
get to Room 9 for the True Ending
. Fantastic game. I needed something to scratch my Phoenix Wright itch and 999 did just that.

JKTrix

Just listening to the Dec. 16th episode of the CAGcast, at about 57 minutes one of the hosts talks about 999 again (it was mentioned in a prior episode). Gives it a hearty recommendation.

Mzo

You get really, really good at doing the puzzles over time.

I just got the Axe ending I had missed out on wtfffffff

It would cool if there's some kind of pre-concept art for the game. I heard from somewhere that the original idea was to have everyone handcuffed to each other. Would have been a tough game at that.

Apenheul

Oh man, what have I done?? Against better judgment I just started playing this game, it sucked me right in and I couldn't stop playing. Have to finish a damn thesis in a week.

I tried to stay away from this thread until I was done with the game but I couldn't resist catching glimpses of "big WTF moments" claims.

After going through all bad endings (not even voluntarily) I was sooooo sure those were overstatements. The story was good and full choke of surprises but nothing that really floored me. And then I finished the true ending.
Jesus tapdancing Christ ! Wow. Just wow.

I have a few minor gripes with the game (repetition (damn you
red and blue suitcases, we've met half a dozen times, don't you remember me? I KNOW YOUR CODES !
, a bit too much of hand holding, pacing a bit off at times) but holy shit if this is not one of the best stories (and, above all, one of the best script) to ever grace the video game medium.

And the music is awesome.

This game not being distributed to Europe is a damn shame.

I will now freely and happily browse this thread to try and find answers to the questions I still have :D

LiK

Completed the game with the true ending after getting all the other endings. I was marathoning it over the weekend. What an amazing experience! The story is phenomenal and the writing is superb. Incredibly intelligent and well structured.

So many twists and turns and the revelations were mind blowing. Everything made sense after I got all the endings. The true ending was satisfying and totally awesome.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. One of my top 5 games this year. ^^

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
BaronLundi said:
I tried to stay away from this thread until I was done with the game but I couldn't resist catching glimpses of "big WTF moments" claims.

After going through all bad endings (not even voluntarily) I was sooooo sure those were overstatements. The story was good and full choke of surprises but nothing that really floored me. And then I finished the true ending.
Jesus tapdancing Christ ! Wow. Just wow.

I have a few minor gripes with the game (repetition (damn you
red and blue suitcases, we've met half a dozen times, don't you remember me? I KNOW YOUR CODES !
, a bit too much of hand holding, pacing a bit off at times) but holy shit if this is not one of the best stories (and, above all, one of the best script) to ever grace the video game medium.

And the music is awesome.

This game not being distributed to Europe is a damn shame.

I will now freely and happily browse this thread to try and find answers to the questions I still have :D

Don't forget you can still ask questions to the creators of 999 up until Thursday 12/23 on the 999 official website :)

http://www.aksysgames.com/999

Belisarius

Neo Member
LiK said:
should be #1! but great to see it there. ^^
Well, in their defense, DQ IX is pretty awesome. I'm not even that far in, and I can't count the times that game has almost made me cry. In a good way.

LiK

Tuesday said:
Well, in their defense, DQ IX is pretty awesome. I'm not even that far in, and I can't count the times that game has almost made me cry. In a good way.

i got DQIX during black friday, guess i'll see its epicness during the holidays. :)

Roto13

Still trying to find this at a store in Toronto. How hard would it have been to babelfish the label text into French?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
LiK said:
Oh, didn't think my reader review would be noticed. Just spreading the word. :)

These eyes of mine see all things 999 :D

But my desires also make me succumb to all things 999... Like purchasing the phone card and 999 Alternative novel set :)

Durante

Just finished this. My only major complaint is that you have to replay the puzzles. I did the first one 9 times, and while that seems fitting it's not really fun.
Anyway, I got all endings in 4 days or so and it's now 6:45 here, so that should give an idea of how much I enjoyed the game.

Regarding the story, am I the only one that was almost certain that
June was Zero shortly after first meeting her?
Maybe I've just played too many Japanese games.

LiK

Durante said:
Just finished this. My only major complaint is that you have to replay the puzzles. I did the first one 9 times, and while that seems fitting it's not really fun.
Anyway, I got all endings in 4 days or so and it's now 6:45 here, so that should give an idea of how much I enjoyed the game.

Regarding the story, am I the only one that was almost certain that
June was Zero shortly after first meeting her?
Maybe I've just played too many Japanese games.
Yea, the prologue should've been completely skippable during replays. Good thing you can bypass most of it and just reenter the codes without having to recollect the items.

Im starting this tonight. I hope it is as good as i imagine. im not sure, of im going to play it multiple times, if there is not much change besides different endings

Cactus

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
Im starting this tonight. I hope it is as good as i imagine. im not sure, of im going to play it multiple times, if there is not much change besides different endings
The routes to the different endings almost always contain new rooms, puzzles, story segments, etc.

Earl Cazone said:

Oh but you will.

You'll want to know.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
never heard of this game before... but it looks like something I'd love. I need to look into this a bit more.

LiK

Earl Cazone said:

you wish. you get completely different puzzles and different dialogue and situations. the multiple endings isn't a bullet point. you might see the same scene and what the character says ends up being completely different during your repeat playthroughs. don't play it once! :)

YESSS!!! I checked my mail box this morning and it finally arrived after 3 weeks all the way from America! I was so happy to see it! :D

The art on the front and back is gorgeous! You can’t appreciate the art in pictures, but seeing it in person is nice! Can’t wait to start this!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got this a couple days ago, and I have been playing through it. Not disappointed at all, and I had high hopes for this. It's soooo hard to put it down. The only thing that's kinda weird is
the story involving psychic abilities or whatever. I mean, I can take it, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.
Still early in the game.

dvolovets

999 deserves all the positive press and more. I'm very glad to see the glowing reviews. Of course, it won't necessarily translate into better sales, but I'm curious to see how the game is doing in comparison to other adventure/visual novel games such as Phoenix Wright. Granted, there aren't too many of them on the DS (or at all) in the first place, but if anyone has any numbers, I'd be interested in seeing them. I gotta say, though, these sort of games are bittersweet. If the plot is engaging, you're playing through the game at the expense of a) food, b) school, c) work, d) sleep, or any combination of the four. At the same time, you try your best to savor the experience because visual novels are linear, and thus inherently unreplayable (to a certain extent). As much as I love the Phoenix Wright games, for example, most of the plot elements are still fresh in my mind. I doubt I'd replay the games anytime soon.

Basically, bottom line -- I need more games like 999. Hahaha.

dvolovets

Fantastical said:
I got this a couple days ago, and I have been playing through it. Not disappointed at all, and I had high hopes for this. It's soooo hard to put it down. The only thing that's kinda weird is
the story involving psychic abilities or whatever. I mean, I can take it, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.
Still early in the game.
It's a bit like Phoenix Wright in that sense (if you've ever played it, particularly the second game). I suppose it's a pretty common theme in Japanese games. If you're willing to look past
certain elements that border on the metaphysical
, you're in for a treat.

LiK

Fantastical said:
Still early in the game.

GAWD i wish i was you so i can play it blind all over again.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
dvolovets said:
It's a bit like Phoenix Wright in that sense (if you've ever played it, particularly the second game). I suppose it's a pretty common theme in Japanese games. If you're willing to look past
certain elements that border on the metaphysical
, you're in for a treat.
I love Phoenix Wright, but for some reason it feels different in this. I think it's how it is presented that feels so strange to me. I'm sure it will all come together in the end, but the story is, quite frankly, weird as hell.
Emphasis on Titanic and Alice and metaphysical world communicating through molecules you can't see and shit. For some reason with Phoenix Wright it seemed more believable, I think because it was more abstract. The more the characters try to explain that stuff, the less I believe what they are saying. :p

But I am really liking it. It's quite tense.

LiK said:
GAWD i wish i was you so i can play it blind all over again.
Haha. Be jealous. :D

I know I am when I see PW: Trails and Tribulations virgins.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
LiK said:
is there a 999 artbook? Aksys needs to get on that!

Unfortunately no, but we do possess the digital versions of all the art/CGs in game :D

They're only used for our marketing purposes...

But an art book would be sweet!

LiK

Akselziys said:
Unfortunately no, but we do possess the digital versions of all the art/CGs in game :D

They're only used for our marketing purposes...

But an art book would be sweet!

omg, please send me a copy of those. PM? D:

Apenheul

I'm on my fifth playthrough. Fortunately I still have my button-bashing skills from Mario Party to skip forward in the dialogues.

LiK

Apenheul said:
I'm on my fifth playthrough. Fortunately I still have my button-bashing skills from Mario Party to skip forward in the dialogues.

or just hold down the right d-pad and it'll fly by. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mzo said:
The Aksys people posting in this thread only worked on the translation, not the game itself. If posters want to lick their balls properly they should compliment the translation effort directly, not the writing of the basic plot which they had no hand in.

What the fuck are you talking about? Licking their balls? Do you genuinely believe that everyone that sing praise for this game is doing it because they want to kiss the asses of Aksys' people here?

For crying out loud, dislike/criticize the game/story all you want, but stop acting all holier-than-thou than the rest of us who genuinely like the game.

Cactus

Banned
Wow, my two favourite characters were #1 and #8 respectively in the Japanese poll.

When are the results for the North American poll going to be revealed?

carlos

Just finished it a second time, I must admit I laughed during a particular dialogue exchange between junpei and june regarding elevators and getting wet....

Very enjoyable story, just wish there was a way to finish the game faster/see the other endings without having to wait so long while the text skips.

I hope this title gets the recognition it deserves

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Cactus said:
Wow, my two favourite characters were #1 and #8 respectively in the Japanese poll.

When are the results for the North American poll going to be revealed?

The US polls close on 1/9 :) So results should follow soon after :D

Top Bottom