• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Gomu Gomu said:
oh man I hope not. No way in hell I'm gonna find the time and patience to finish this more than once.

I'm pretty sure that you can speed up and essentially skip the dialogue on repeat play throughs....

Also, you might change your mind when you realize just how good and engrossing the story is! :D

Ricker

Loving the game...every escape part so far I had to take a peek at a hint though,after searching and searching and just being unable to move forward...

TimeKillr

Tricky I Shadow said:
Awesome! That's really good to hear! How far in am I for my first play through? I can't wait to get all the endings and then highlight all these spoilers!

Also, can I get the true ending first.....or do I have to unlock all the other ones first? And will I know when I unlock the true ending? NO SPOILERS!!!

You can't get the true ending on your first walkthrough.

To get the true ending, you need one specific ending first, THEN you can do the true ending.

You won't know when you unlock the true ending. Ask us. :)

Durante

Ricker said:
Loving the game...every escape part so far I had to take a peek at a hint though,after searching and searching and just being unable to move forward...
That just means you suck at puzzles though :p

The puzzle design was one of the best things about this game IMHO. Often in old graphic adventures the solutions are some completely counter-intuitive combination of items and pixel hunting. Every single puzzle in 999 makes perfect sense and doesn't rely on such gimmicks, while still not being too easy (which often happens when adventure games try to limit the gimmicky stuff).

TimeKillr said:
You can't get the true ending on your first walkthrough.

To get the true ending, you need one specific ending first, THEN you can do the true ending.

You won't know when you unlock the true ending. Ask us. :)

Thanks man!

Ricker

Durante said:
That just means you suck at puzzles though :p

I know right :lol ...i`ll spoiler where i`m stuck right now,I hate that it`s probably something just lying on the ground or in the background that I didn`t see,not something I cant figure out by combining stuff or whatever:

The second escape,I have 2 of the 3 pieces of the small puzzle I have to place in the picture on the wall,in the corridor that`s between the left or right side of the rooms(one with June on right and Lotus and Santa on the left...got the shower curtain thing done,shows the hole and all and I have 2 of the 3 puzzle pieces...everything I do now on I have done so nothing is happening,candle is done also...i`m guessing it`s something to do with that hole in the shower curtain maybe...

Is this game going to be restocked again? I seen someone playing it on the train and it seemed engrossing. I really want to buy it since I haven't bought a DS game since Miles Edgeworth. Also, are there any new DS games coming out soon I should be looking out for? Is there a thread for that? LOL the new neogaf slogan, there's a thread for that. :lol ok thanks guys!

Pirabear

Banned
Managed to get this at Gamestop yesterday, cashier told me it was the only copy they received. :lol

Liked Ever17 so I expect good things from this.

darkvir

amazon.ca had the game as out of stock, however a few days ago they changed it to a Jan 19 date... so i placed an order hopefully it gets filled.

Durante

Ricker said:
The second escape,I have 2 of the 3 pieces of the small puzzle I have to place in the picture on the wall,in the corridor that`s between the left or right side of the rooms(one with June on right and Lotus and Santa on the left...got the shower curtain thing done,shows the hole and all and I have 2 of the 3 puzzle pieces...everything I do now on I have done so nothing is happening,candle is done also...i`m guessing it`s something to do with that hole in the shower curtain maybe...
Note that the 2 rooms (and bathrooms) are almost exactly the same...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Infernodash said:
Is this game going to be restocked again? I seen someone playing it on the train and it seemed engrossing. I really want to buy it since I haven't bought a DS game since Miles Edgeworth. Also, are there any new DS games coming out soon I should be looking out for? Is there a thread for that? LOL the new neogaf slogan, there's a thread for that. :lol ok thanks guys!
2011 will bring Pokemon, Ghost Trick, and Okamiden.

Got this at Christmas and finished it once. Wow, this was really great. Bad ending, though.

quick question: do I want to start with
"begin with memories" or "memories of the escape"
. I was too busy thinking about what just happened to read all the rules.

flawfuls

Linkzg said:
Got this at Christmas and finished it once. Wow, this was really great. Bad ending, though.

quick question: do I want to start with
"begin with memories" or "memories of the escape"
. I was too busy thinking about what just happened to read all the rules.

Begin with memories. Memories of the escape is just a mode that lets you redo the puzzles you've done.

flawfuls said:
Begin with memories. Memories of the escape is just a mode that lets you redo the puzzles you've done.

ok, thanks.

btw, do I have to redo the puzzles in begin with memories, or does it only skip the text?

eXistor

Great game so far, quite an engrossing little game too. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds and what endings there are. The rooms so far have been extremely easy though, but I don't really mind this as it's clearly a game about a story and its characters.

Durante said:
Mu.
Seriously, you have to redo them. Biggest flaw of the game IMHO.

that's a shame

I'm blowing through them, but still, I'm gonna have to repeat some of them at least five times, so that will get pretty annoying.

Durante

Linkzg said:
that's a shame

I'm blowing through them, but still, I'm gonna have to repeat some of them at least five times, so that will get pretty annoying.
Yeah, I did the first one 9 times. At least you can skip through most of that, but for most of the other puzzles you still have to go through all the motions.

It almost made me want to look up the requirements for the different endings in a FAQ instead of finding them via "exploration". But in the end finally finding the path that caused events to change was worth it :D

By the way, my notes sheet for this game: *(puzzle) spoiler warning*

If you're wondering what's up with the water stains: Yeah, I actually played part of it in the bathtub :lol

Nekobo

Looks like this thread is gonna hit 999 posts soon! I bet someone is waiting to be lucky 999...!

Good times. Haven't played a visual novel that made me feel this tense in a good while.
Submarine ending for me.

LiK

the
axe ending
was the only ending that really disturbed me the most. the way it was presented and written just sent chills down my spine. i remember it was hard to sleep after that cuz i was playing it at night. :lol

btw, to anyone curious about getting the True ending, you should get it last after unlocking the rest. all the other endings offer different info and dialogue options along the way. some are more subtle than others. save the best for last and don't be afraid to check a guide or ask people here after you played it blind on your first playthrough for tips on the other regular endings. :)

AniHawk

Got the last copy in La Verne. They also had the only copy of Infinite Space I've seen out in the wild, so I snatched that up too.

wait, what? I got the
coffin ending. The one second from the left. It ended with "to be continued" and a preview. That isn't the true ending is it? I thought it would continue, right? isn't Snake still alive? 7+2=9. and I had the card for the Library.

Volcynika

Linkzg said:
wait, what? I got the
coffin ending. The one second from the left. It ended with "to be continued" and a preview. That isn't the true ending is it? I thought it would continue, right? isn't Snake still alive? 7+2=9. and I had the card for the Library.

No, that's not the true ending.

Durante

Linkzg said:
wait, what? I got the
That was the first ending I got. Remember the path you took for this ending, after gaining some information in another ending you can revisit it -- and continue.

LiK

Linkzg said:
wait, what? I got the

you were halfway there. but nope, not the true ending.

LiK

Scalpel Knight said:
I need more of this game. Wish there was some way to completely forget about it and experience the story again.

same, i really want another game like this from Chunsoft soon. i never played Ever17 but i heard it's similar to this and quite good too. i think i'll go look for a copy for my fix.

Hmm, so one of them might
be Zero huh? I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s Seven! Not remembering how he was abducted? Yeah, I think it’s him.

Yottamole

Banned
I think my watch is slow...is there a way to replace the batteries of the watch without going to a repair center?

Also, who's going to make the 999th post? :D

Takuhi

Durante said:
By the way, my notes sheet for this game: *(puzzle) spoiler warning*

Ha! I would be careful where I left that document lying around. If I didn't know the context, I'd be on the phone with mental health services right about now...

Ri'Orius

Just got a third ending (the ones I've found so far:
axe, knife, submarine
). I'm really enjoying it, but I'm starting to get burnt out. Especially since, according to the "Memories of Escape" menu, I've done most of the puzzles already. I am liking how the story is coming together, though.

But on the other hand, the endings I've found have been kind of unsatisfying.
It seems like in each one, I'm cruising through, solving puzzles and feelin' alright (especially now that 9's and Snake's deaths are so unsurprising), and then all of a sudden everybody dies. The endings feel very abrupt.

Ri'Orius said:
It seems like in each one, I'm cruising through, solving puzzles and feelin' alright (especially now that 9's and Snake's deaths are so unsurprising), and then all of a sudden everybody dies. The endings feel very abrupt.
Keep playing, the remaining endings will reveal so much more. You're just about to the really juicy part(s).

LiK

Ri'Orius said:
Just got a third ending (the ones I've found so far:
axe, knife, submarine
). I'm really enjoying it, but I'm starting to get burnt out. Especially since, according to the "Memories of Escape" menu, I've done most of the puzzles already. I am liking how the story is coming together, though.

Yup, replaying puzzles kinda suck but when you're going for another ending, the dialogue and scenes change. For example, a character will say something totally different in a scene that happened after a puzzle you've played already. Everything looked like it would happen the same way but bam! new dialogue appears. Take a break if you need to. :)

Btw, those 3 endings you listed are prolly my least favorite. It only gets better for you now!

Hylian7

I just got my second ending of the game. Details in the spoiler box below.

So perhaps some of my theories were proven wrong....maybe. If you didn't read my first post on this, my first ending was the one where Junpei found Lotus dead and then was stabbed by someone but didn't see who. Well here's what happened this time. Snake died midway through (It seems like this is guaranteed to happen every time, but I'm not sure). I went through door #1 with Ace and Clover, found the Captain's body (who may have been Zero) and then after that section, Clover was acting suspicious. She went back into the room and got something, and came back out with a full pocket. Junpei asked about it, but she said "nothing" and then he asked about some "stick thing" on her back. I didn't even think about the axe then. A few minutes later, everyone else said they found door #9. Now remembering the last playthrough, I remember there were 2 door #9's, but for some reason the characters (Clover included) were talking about how they wouldn't all be able to go through door #9, so they should explore door #2 first. Santa, Seven, June, and Clover went down there, and then Ace said he had to show Lotus something (and only Lotus) something and they went off somewhere. The bit about Ace and Lotus pretty much tells me that in my last playthrough, Ace killed Lotus and Junpei. In this ending though, I never saw either one of them again. Clover came back, alone. Junpei asked about the others, she threw down all their bracelets. After a long conversation over it, Clover held out her hand to help Junpei up, then she hit him with the fucking axe! Chunsoft now owes me a new pair of boxers after the shitting of myself that caused! Clover is a fucking crazy bitch! And to think I thought it was June last time! Also, in the part with June and the elevator, I said that I thought she was afraid about being alone with a boy in the elevator. I actually laughed pretty damn hard at the resulting conversation.

Ricker

Durante said:
Note that the 2 rooms (and bathrooms) are almost exactly the same...

Wow,I guess I really do suck at this game...even with that clue,i`m still stuck in there,nothing else is happening...

Totakeke

Ricker said:
Wow,I guess I really do suck at this game...even with that clue,i`m still stuck in there,nothing else is happening...

Hole in curtain... tells you of a specific tile... but nothing happens when you click on that tile in that bathroom... but what about another similar tile...?

iammeiam

Ricker said:

The hole in the shower curtain seems to be pointing to a specific tile, right? But it's firmly fastened to the wall.

Coincidentally, across the hall, there's an identically tiled bathroom...

This puzzle is probably the closest to
pixel-hunting
the game gets. You've got a decent target area, but if you're not sure that's what you're supposed to be doing it's possible to get stuck.

Durante

iammeiam said:
This puzzle is probably the closest to
pixel-hunting
the game gets. You've got a decent target area, but if you're not sure that's what you're supposed to be doing it's possible to get stuck.
But IIRC
the location
is explicitly spelled out in the text. That doesn't seem very close to
pixel-hunting
at all.

iammeiam

Durante said:
But IIRC
the location
is explicitly spelled out in the text. That doesn't seem very close to
pixel-hunting
at all.

It is, but unless I'm remembering the wall wrong
the tiles themselves aren't clearly defined, so you can't just count across/down and kind of have to eyeball it. I was expecting it to zoom in on the tiles and have you click the specific right one, or something, the first time I played it.

It took me a couple of taps every time through the room to hit the right area; it's certainly not bad/anything close to things we saw during point-and-click's glory years, it's just the only time in the game I can remember having to
hit an extremely specific area that looks pretty much the same as the surrounding area
which is why I drew the comparison.

Totakeke

iammeiam said:
It is, but unless I'm remembering the wall wrong
the tiles themselves aren't clearly defined, so you can't just count across/down and kind of have to eyeball it. I was expecting it to zoom in on the tiles and have you click the specific right one, or something, the first time I played it.

It took me a couple of taps every time through the room to hit the right area; it's certainly not bad/anything close to things we saw during point-and-click's glory years, it's just the only time in the game I can remember having to
hit an extremely specific area that looks pretty much the same as the surrounding area
which is why I drew the comparison.

You can count it. I did it first try. It is clearly defined.

Top Bottom