• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

LiK

Apenheul said:
Finally got all the endings, man wat a trip. They'd better have a new title in the works for 3DS or something :)
The true ending was so damn satisfying. Almost made me cry.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm confused on how the ending works.

I finished it once. Got the
, I'm guessing, bad ending since everyone died. :p Now I'm playing it again and just doing the opposite of what I did last time, but how exactly do you get all the endings? Do you have to remember the combinations of the way you did things? I know that the game shows you a grayed out option of what you have already done, but next time won't they both be grayed out (in the case where there are two options)? So... if I choose one will it show the next combination of things I haven't done, or will it just gray out the options that I have already done once, not taking the combination of paths into consideration. That sounds confusing, but basically does the game make it super easy for you to know what to pick for each ending?

I just got the true ending and wow, holy shit. No words.

Alice being there at the end was kind of silly, but I found it interesting nonetheless. How did she know what the signal for hitchhiking was? Did she have to hitch a ride in ancient Egypt? Anyway, what's probably most disturbing to me is the fact that Akane/June was able to help orchestrate such a terrible game, even if much of it was a set-up (e.g. no detonators). Flesh wounds may heal, but psychological wounds may not necessarily!

Apenheul

Fantastical said:
I'm confused on how the ending works.

I finished it once. Got the
, I'm guessing, bad ending since everyone died. :p Now I'm playing it again and just doing the opposite of what I did last time, but how exactly do you get all the endings? Do you have to remember the combinations of the way you did things? I know that the game shows you a grayed out option of what you have already done, but next time won't they both be grayed out (in the case where there are two options)? So... if I choose one will it show the next combination of things I haven't done, or will it just gray out the options that I have already done once, not taking the combination of paths into consideration. That sounds confusing, but basically does the game make it super easy for you to know what to pick for each ending?

Exactly,
you have to remember and try out the different combinations. In some cases it also matters who you talk to. The greyed out options only tell you that you've chosen that answer before, but you might want to repeat those choices when trying different combinations.

LiK said:
The true ending was so damn satisfying. Almost made me cry.

Indeed, I immediately erased my save-slot so I can let someone else try the game.

I started this before going to work today and got up to them exchanging code names. :D

I'm already completely sucked in. This is really fantastic stuff......can't wait to play more!

Ricker

Okay,this doesn`t bode well for the rest of the game,I can`t even get out of the first cabin :lol ... didn`t have much time to figure it out though so far...you guys know of a good Walkthrough that`s laid out so it`s not too spoilery(I mean they give hints and you don`t easily see too far ahead)...

Apenheul

Here's a couple of hints.

There's a mirror next to the iron door

Use the screwdriver on the picture that you found above the sink

There are two suitcases, one on the bed and one in the closet next to the bed

To find the passwords for the suitcases, look at the part of the vouchers that match the color of the suitcase, and then look the numbers up from the backside of the picture that you unscrewed

I hope this helps

Ricker

Apenheul said:
Here's a couple of hints.

There's a mirror next to the iron door

Use the screwdriver on the picture that you found above the sink

There are two suitcases, one on the bed and one in the closet next to the bed

To find the passwords for the suitcases, look at the part of the vouchers that match the color of the suitcase, and then look the numbers up from the backside of the picture that you unscrewed

I hope this helps

Thanks...yeah I have all that and I found a pretty good walkthrough in case I get stuck again,over at Gamershell...I just didn`t figure those number he gives for the first suitcase...

Scalpel Knight said:
I just got the true ending and wow, holy shit. No words.

Alice being there at the end was kind of silly...

The way I see it
Alice was just a red herring that the writers decided to throw into the ending for fun. Don't stress over her appearance in the ending. It is probably meaningless.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damn that ending was brutal. This was the second ending I've gotten.

Fourth ending. Snake and Ace die in incinerator. Go back to save June. Santa isn't there. They all (?) lose. Although I'm pretty sure who Zero is at this point. :p

Is there a spoiler free guide to getting all the endings? I'm afraid to read this thread. :D

Ferrio

Banned
Fantastical said:
Damn that ending was brutal. This was the second ending I've gotten.

Fourth ending. Snake and Ace die in incinerator. Go back to save June. Santa isn't there. They all (?) lose. Although I'm pretty sure who Zero is at this point. :p

Is there a spoiler free guide to getting all the endings? I'm afraid to read this thread. :D

Someone posted a non spoiler chart to get all the endings somewhere in the thread.

rareside

I just heard about this game today from a friend and decided to pick it up. Got a long flight and train ride ahead of me in the next few days. Between this and Ni No Kuni I should be good!!

Lard

Banned
Unexpectedly got this for Xmas!

Apparently when my parents went to the EB Games in Coburg (In Ontario), the girl who was working at the time got interested in the game and bought one on the spot, even though she hadn't heard of it before. :lol

There you go, Aksys, you got two sales from me!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Lard said:
Unexpectedly got this for Xmas!

Apparently when my parents went to the EB Games in Coburg (In Ontario), the girl who was working at the time got interested in the game and bought one on the spot, even though she hadn't heard of it before. :lol

There you go, Aksys, you got two sales from me!

Haha, that's awesome! :D Have a very merry 999 Christmas! ;)

I bought this game yesterday (an impulse purchase), since I heard so many grand things about 999. I'll probably play it once I finish Yakuza 3.

This game continues to be incredible! :D

I just escaped through
door 4 with Santa, June and Lotus. Now I’m trying to escape a kitchen.

I can’t praise this game enough.....it excels at everything it attempts. Utterly engrossing stuff!

Mzo

Laughing Banana said:
For crying out loud, dislike/criticize the game/story all you want, but stop acting all holier-than-thou than the rest of us who genuinely like the game.
I hated it so much I bought three copies as gifts, along with respective watches. I have the uncanny ability to criticize even the things I enjoy.

The fact that the story can spark a discussion at all already puts it ahead of most video game stories.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ferrio said:
Someone posted a non spoiler chart to get all the endings somewhere in the thread.
Found it! Thank you.

And I have to say, this is one of the few puzzle-like games where I haven't used a guide or any kind. I guess Professor Layton trained me for this. :D

I'm proud of myself, although I don't feel like the puzzles are very hard.
Almost broke down on the box moving one, but I finally got it.

Fat Goron

Wow. Just WOW.

Just finished the game.... Got the True Ending now. This must be the most AWESOME adventure game I've played on DS. The story is simply AMAZING.

This didn't happened, but it would be awesome:

Think about it.... remember John/Lucy? What if June did die? According to Santa, June wasn't supposed to be in the ship, because she wasn't a receptor, she was a TRANSMITTER. Now... she was in danger, all that stuff happening, she could really be able to access the morphic ressonance field... The game suggests she was able to see even "other timelines"... Now, remember the whole "monitor x cpu" speech that Lotus gave in Room 8? What if June was able to "access" a "monitor" that was still working, but was not "connected to the cpu"???

This certainly doesn't make any sense, but, think about it....

June would end up "transferring" herselft, "connecting to this monitor" in an alternate reality...... That "monitor" couldn't be too far, it should have been there.... it would have to still be working, but, without a "cpu"..... Yeah, I guess you already know...... Allice.

It would be awesome if June, right before her death, just "transferred" herself to "another reality"'s Allice's body through the morphic ressonance field. Then, June would become "Zero" and try to save that reality's June doing a second Nonary Game.... That means.... the one behind Zero's mask, in fact, is Allice, that is, in fact, the "other" June....

And, concluding, the one who appears at the very last moment of true ending... Allice... would be... June herself. The one who died in the incinerator, not the one who was with Junpei all along.

Yeah.... drugs....

Hylian7

I got this game as a gift today and holy shit I didn't expect to like it as much as I do! This is probably the most overlooked look game of the year. I'm also surprised this actually made it to the US, as anything that's either half or completely a visual novel has a very niche market over here.

I have some money from Christmas and this game has been sounding excellent so I went to amazon to order it and the cheapest copy is 90$? What happened? I coulda sworn I looked at it on there not too long ago and it was normally priced. Am I doomed never to play this game as the prices skyrocket due to rarity or somethin?

voodoopanda said:
I have some money from Christmas and this game has been sounding excellent so I went to amazon to order it and the cheapest copy is 90$? What happened? I coulda sworn I looked at it on there not too long ago and it was normally priced. Am I doomed never to play this game as the prices skyrocket due to rarity or somethin?
It's still available from other online retailers, but I wouldn't wait too long. This game was not released in very large supply, and the positive word of mouth is driving the price up and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

It's a great game though, it's worth tracking down a copy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
voodoopanda said:
Wow, I guess Amazon sold out of the amount they got.

Aksys sells it in their own online store, but it appears they are temporarily sold out!! Check back later, as that is a sure place to get it at a decent price.

voodoopanda said:
I would just wait. Aksys probably ordered a minimal amount of initial stock, fearing that it wouldn't sell like Jake Hunter. They're probably printing more copies as we speak.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
HarkenSlash said:
I would just wait. Aksys probably ordered a minimal amount of initial stock, fearing that it wouldn't sell like Jake Hunter. They're probably printing more copies as we speak.

Yeah, we're currently sold out as is Amazon, among other retailers, and are currently waiting for our shipment to come in :)

We should be receiving it around January 10th, so prices will return to $34.99 once it's restocked at retailers.

We'll be re-selling the bundle (999+watch) on our online store once our new stock arrives too :D!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

just got this for christmas. can't wait to jump in :)

and the replica watch is very appropriate. once you get it on, it's a son-of-a-bitch to get it off again

Bento

Sat and played 10 hours straight yesterday from 10 PM to 8 AM. Got all endings, what a fucking great game, absolutely adore it :D

ASIS

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Okay just bought this game today.

Text adventure + Interesting concept + Good Buzz = Buy

Don't let me down GAF!
It's only second to the PW series. One of the best DS games hands down.

Totakeke

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the true and safe endings because how contrived it all became, but the game is what it is, a Japanese visual novel adventure game. I don't think the comparison with the Phoenix Wright games own metaphysical rules are fair because they are consistent and persistent in the PW games, but not so much in this game where it only brings them out when logical doesn't make sense anymore. I also felt the multiple versions of the same fable in this game were a bit too much
(ice-9, EDT, glycerin, pictures, etc.)
when I was going for the different endings.

Still a good game with a great localization though.

I’m now up to when
Ace, Clover and Seven find Snake’s blown up body. Someone murdered him by pushing him in?
Holy shit this is getting even more interesting!

Does the game have any more huge moments for my first play through? Also I usually suck badly at puzzles but I haven’t used a guide for any of them so far! :D

Hylian7

I just finished this for the first time, and I'm immediately going through it again. Spoiler boxed details of my ending are below.

After finding the room with the 2 door #9's, it showed briefly someone knocking from inside the coffin, but everyone was already gone (Junpei, June/Akane, Ace, and Santa). They met up with the others back in the central room (Lotus and Seven) and they said Clover was missing (Snake died earlier). June/Akane and Junpei were in one team to go look for, and then the others went off to look for her too. June and Junpei decided to split up. Junpei took the elevator down, and saw Lotus's dead body down there, and then Junpei was stabbed. There was no glimpse of the killer, and that was the end of the game. I'm not sure if this always happens in every playthrough, but the 9th Man died at the beginning (I assume it does.). Junpei died, and the screen faded to black. Bad End.

Did anyone else get this ending the first time?

Durante

Everyone who liked the visual novel part of this game should at least try the "When they cry" series (Higurashi and Umineko). No puzzles, but some similarity in structure, particularly in the former.

Celine

HarkenSlash said:
Yep, took 17 days for AxelMusic to ship my order.

AniHawk

Gonna see if I can get this tomorrow at a nearby Gamestop. Apparently it's almost as hard to find as Infinite Space now.

LiK

Got more ppl to check out this game after my review was posted on Giant Bomb's front page. Feels good! :D

AniHawk said:
Gonna see if I can get this tomorrow at a nearby Gamestop. Apparently it's almost as hard to find as Infinite Space now.

If you can find two, you should totally buy me one for me to pay you back (on the 5th when I get paid). =D

Having less money really kills you when you want to buy the rarer games. T_T

LiK

Hylian7 said:
I just finished this for the first time, and I'm immediately going through it again. Spoiler boxed details of my ending are below.

After finding the room with the 2 door #9's, it showed briefly someone knocking from inside the coffin, but everyone was already gone (Junpei, June/Akane, Ace, and Santa). They met up with the others back in the central room (Lotus and Seven) and they said Clover was missing (Snake died earlier). June/Akane and Junpei were in one team to go look for, and then the others went off to look for her too. June and Junpei decided to split up. Junpei took the elevator down, and saw Lotus's dead body down there, and then Junpei was stabbed. There was no glimpse of the killer, and that was the end of the game. I'm not sure if this always happens in every playthrough, but the 9th Man died at the beginning (I assume it does.). Junpei died, and the screen faded to black. Bad End.

Did anyone else get this ending the first time?
Yup, that was my first ending. Totally shocked me and made me play it again right away. I wonder if this is a common 1st ending for others as well?

AniHawk

A buddy of mine printed the listing of all the nearby stores that had them and they were listed as quantity <4, which usually means only one left.

You can still buy new it from Gamestop.com though. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc are all out or never had it to begin with.

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’m now up to when
Ace, Clover and Seven find Snake’s blown up body. Someone murdered him by pushing him in?
Holy shit this is getting even more interesting!

Does the game have any more huge moments for my first play through? Also I usually suck badly at puzzles but I haven’t used a guide for any of them so far! :D
Tip of the iceberg my friend. More awesome moments await.

twdnewh_k

Had this on my amazon wishlist for a while now and when i finally came to order it tonight I see its $70 from other sellers. Hope they get more copies in asap.

LiK said:
Tip of the iceberg my friend. More awesome moments await.

Awesome! That's really good to hear! How far in am I for my first play through? I can't wait to get all the endings and then highlight all these spoilers!

Also, can I get the true ending first.....or do I have to unlock all the other ones first? And will I know when I unlock the true ending? NO SPOILERS!!!

Gomu Gomu

Tricky I Shadow said:
Also, can I get the true ending first.....or do I have to unlock all the other ones first? And will I know when I unlock the true ending? NO SPOILERS!!!
oh man I hope not. No way in hell I'm gonna find the time and patience to finish this more than once.

Top Bottom