• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Lard

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Ok guys, give me some hints/tips on how I should play through it next. I’m pretty sure you guys won’t want me to get the true ending just yet......

So, give me some hints/tips on which doors I should go through this time. I really don’t want a repeated ending. Obviously don't post any spoilers!

Go through doors you haven't been through.

Lard said:
Go through doors you haven't been through.

Ok then, makes sense. :lol

Can I just ask a question though......will I be spoilt if I know which door combinations lead to what ending?

I mean is it just random, or are the door combination important to the story? Should I figure it out myself?

Lard

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Ok then, makes sense. :lol

Can I just ask a question though......will I be spoilt if I know which door combinations lead to what ending?

I mean is it just random, or are the door combination important to the story? Should I figure it out myself?

To answer your questions in order

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Tricky I Shadow said:
Just got my second ending! My first was the
submarine
and now I got the
knife
one.

It was an interesting twist realizing that
door 9 = two of them.
The story is starting to get a little weird – in a very good way! :D

The knocking from the coffin was very freaky and made me feel a little uneasy. I’m also getting suspicious of Santa and Clover.

Could they be Light and Aoi? If not them...I’m thinking maybe at least one of them is!
I’m not sure how I’ll play through it again.
heh, I got the same endings in the same order. Just got the second one now. I was positive I'd done it correctly that time, but looks like I didn't.

I think the question of who could benefit most from the 8 bracelet is tricky. You'd think Ace, but you need three bracelets to go through. Of course, the 9 bracelet wasn't destroyed when the 9th Man blew up.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Cactus said:
Played them and loved them. I also spread the joy of Pheonix Wright whenever I can :D

What type of gameplay? Is it more like Hotel Dusk, 999 or something completely different?

I love hardboiled/noir detective books and games (Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two of my favourite games ever). I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the tip about Memories of the Past.

We're sold out of Memories of the Past on our online store I believe, so you'll have to try and grab it through Amazon or the such :)

I can tell you all about 999 and Jake Hunter, since I was the producer/lead for those games :D Theresia on the other hand, I didn't work on. Though, from what it seems, it's a game like Shadow Gate/Uninvited and you seem to have a life meter too.

Lard

Banned
Akselziys said:
We're sold out of Memories of the Past on our online store I believe, so you'll have to try and grab it through Amazon or the such :)

Are you not getting any more copies in? That's one I've been looking for actually. :/

ScrabbleDude said:
heh, I got the same endings in the same order. Just got the second one now. I was positive I'd done it correctly that time, but looks like I didn't.

I think the question of who could benefit most from the 8 bracelet is tricky. You'd think Ace, but you need three bracelets to go through. Of course, the 9 bracelet wasn't destroyed when the 9th Man blew up.

I think it's too hard at this point to figure out who
wants the 8 bracelet.
Too many possibilities! And doesn't the
RED recognise the person’s actual hand?
So I'm kinda confused.

But it's good to see that you and I are at the same point. It'll be interesting to see who figures out what first. All the puzzle pieces are slowly coming together! Keep me posted!

zethren

Banned
Just nabbed 999 last night. Didn't want to wait until the bundles were replenished on the website since I have a week left of break before the semester kicks in. Thought 999 would be a great way to end my break, and so far I'm really enjoying it. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Lard said:
Not from Canada I can't. :mad:

Ebay or used it is I guess.

You can't get it from here? :)

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001URRGZO/

zethren said:
Just nabbed 999 last night. Didn't want to wait until the bundles were replenished on the website since I have a week left of break before the semester kicks in. Thought 999 would be a great way to end my break, and so far I'm really enjoying it. :)

Can't wait for you to beat it :D!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
JEKKI said:
yay I got one of the endings.

fast forwarding is awesome!!! too bad I made a new choice and cant do it anymore :(

The fast forwarding only works for scenes you've already seen. If you get to a part that it stops at, try reading it and then try fast forwarding again if the text directly after that seems familiar.

You wouldn't want to fast forward through stuff you hadn't read before, would you? ;)

Luigi87

Ordered a backordered copy from Amazon.ca, and good thing I did as it now longer says "In Stock Jan. 19th" and back to "Temporarily Out of Stock"

Now the wait.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm making my way through the true end, and maybe it will be more important, but I can't help to think that it would have been better to
to use a fictional boat instead of the Titanic, and make up some book or movie that was supposed to be predict what happened, and go from there. I find it weird that it is the Titanic, but then they throw in the crazy stuff with Ice-9 and Alice. Haven't finished so maybe it wouldn't work for some reason, but I think that's why I have a hard time accepting what some of the characters are telling me as opposed to Phoenix Wright where everything is just fictional, so I can accept that. I donno, just something that I think would have helped the game in my mind.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just bought Jake Hunter from Amazon. I hope I enjoy it just like I did this game.
I think I'm also going to pick up this game. Love these types of games on the DS. I want a ton more for 3DS. :D Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is a good start, but I want moarrrrr!

jaxword

This was such an amazing game.

Only thing I'm trying to work out, in the ending, is
whether or not Seven actually had amnesia. If he didn't, that means he was in on the plot with June and Santa. Seems odd a cop would be ok with influencing someone to murder.

Seven also got some REALLY bad headaches at convenient moments, similarly to how June got fevers when you made the wrong choices. I wonder if Seven's amnesia is influenced by the morphogenic field stabilizing as Akane's trying to find the right one?

jaxword said:
This was such an amazing game.

Only thing I'm trying to work out, in the ending, is
whether or not Seven actually had amnesia. If he didn't, that means he was in on the plot with June and Santa. Seems odd a cop would be ok with influencing someone to murder.

Seven also got some REALLY bad headaches at convenient moments, similarly to how June got fevers when you made the wrong choices. I wonder if Seven's amnesia is influenced by the morphogenic field stabilizing as Akane's trying to find the right one?
The general consensus is that Seven was in on the plot. The "amnesia" was just ploy so they could feed Junpei information at certain times.

I'm not sure he's still a cop though, so he's free of all legal consequences! ^_^ And Zero & Co. didn't actually kill anyone... No court would convict them! >_>

Lard

Banned
Gunloc said:
The general consensus is that Seven was in on the plot. The "amnesia" was just ploy so they could feed Junpei information at certain times.

Jesus, I hadn't even thought of that before now.

EDIT - I'M SORRY :(

Hylian7 said:
Look under the pillow on the bed to the right of the door.

Oh wow. I can't believe I made that puzzle so much more difficult than it really was. Thanks for the help.

Volcynika said:
FIX YOUR QUOTING You messed up the spoiler tag.

I'm so glad I saw this before scrolling up to that post.

I love how quick fast forwarding makes getting to the end. I've gone through all the doors of the first choice and all the doors of the second choice, and now I'm in the last door of the third choice. I don't think I've found the real ending this time, but I can only play at night so it's a long wait.

When I first started playing, I was disappointed in how easy the puzzles were, but since the game is clearly designed to be played multiple times, I appreciate it more now. I'd hate to be solving long complicated puzzles over and over again.

The writing is better than most DS games I've played, but I don't think it's as good as many modern interactive fiction games. The localization is excellent, and the character graphics are charming. I love the little details in the character artwork, they pull in the player and make you want to know more.

Nishastra

Banned
So, I picked this up the other day. This is very much my kind of game (I won't be able to stop playing until I've seen EVERYTHING), but I'm glad I didn't have it last month, as I was too busy to properly play my DS for days at a time :p

Anyway, I already got one ending (
submarine
), and on my second time through... found a much faster way to the same ending. As I went two very different ways, I'm pretty sure I understand what leads to that ending now, so hopefully I'll be able to avoid it in the future.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
about seven

I didn't get the impression he was in on it at all. The only hint is once he regained his memory he may have lied about what happened to Akane. But all throughout the story we heard from other people that one girl died during the experiments. Didn't Lotus say her daughter Nona was there and one girl died? Snake and Clover as well?

To be honest if you start going down this route, why not get Snake and Clover to help out as well? Lotus' story didn't have much resolution either? Why was she there and not Nona?

But I suppose there's no way she died and the past was changed since she was already there.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Second playthrough. Just went through door 1 for the first time, and found
the body

Hm....what the hell is going on...the game is definitely starting to grab me now.

EDIT:Just got the
axe
ending. Holy hell! But theres stuff in room 1 that I need to investigate later, like the library card, so it seems I need to change stuff earlier on... Hm. .I wonder if there's any way to
save Snake

Starting to love the game now, its like that one obligatory episode on every sci fi show where they're trapped in a loop and have to figure out how to get out...

Hylian7

kaizoku said:
about seven

I didn't get the impression he was in on it at all. The only hint is once he regained his memory he may have lied about what happened to Akane. But all throughout the story we heard from other people that one girl died during the experiments. Didn't Lotus say her daughter Nona was there and one girl died? Snake and Clover as well?

To be honest if you start going down this route, why not get Snake and Clover to help out as well? Lotus' story didn't have much resolution either? Why was she there and not Nona?

But I suppose there's no way she died and the past was changed since she was already there.
Lotus was there because she didn't know the truth about what happened to her children 9 years ago. As it was said, remember one of the purposes of this Nonary Game was to punish the 4 men from Cradle Pharmeceutical. One one way of doing that (other than killing them) would be for one of the victims' parents to get their hands on them. In this case, Lotus found out what happened to Nona.

Also, it never really was explained why Lotus was dressed that way. I have a theory on it. At one point she said she was unemployed (but used to work for a security firm). I think she was just trying to make ends meet so she took a belly dancing gig. I honestly think it was something as simple as that. Was there some implication on the real reason that I just missed in the game?

Hylian7

The_Technomancer said:
Second playthrough. Just went through door 1 for the first time, and found
the body

Hm....what the hell is going on...the game is definitely starting to grab me now.

EDIT:Just got the
axe
ending. Holy hell! But theres stuff in room 1 that I need to investigate later, like the library card, so it seems I need to change stuff earlier on... Hm. .I wonder if there's any way to
save Snake

Starting to love the game now, its like that one obligatory episode on every sci fi show where they're trapped in a loop and have to figure out how to get out...
Yep, the best way to determine your next playthrough is just think about what you saw in previous playthroughs, and then make a plan to try to get the kind of ending you think you might be able to lead to.

For instance,

For instance, you saw that going through door #1 was probably the biggest contributing factor to the axe ending, as Clover would have never gotten the axe if you didn't do that.

kaizoku said:
about seven

To be honest if you start going down this route, why not get Snake and Clover to help out as well?
But what reason would Seven have to lie about Akane if he really did lose his memory? And all the people talking about how a girl died in the first Nonary game were either covering or were just going by information relayed to them. And the media only reported about the 16 recovered children, Aoi & Akane were not mentioned in any of the news releases. The only people with information about them were people related to the incident.

Nona was there, but not when Hongou grabbed Akane and threw her back in the incinerator. It was just Seven, Aoi and Light/Snake. (I don't remember Lotus mentioning that someone died, but it's possible. If so, they only reason would be that Nona or someone else effected by the first Nonary game told her.)

Remember that Snake's braille note had more on it than he read to the group, so even though he wasn't in on the set-up, I'm sure it occurred to him what has happening, at least in part. Why Akane didn't include him is unknown, but maybe she was worried that too many people with forehand knowledge would compromise the plan.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hylian7 said:
Lotus was there because she didn't know the truth about what happened to her children 9 years ago. As it was said, remember one of the purposes of this Nonary Game was to punish the 4 men from Cradle Pharmeceutical. One one way of doing that (other than killing them) would be for one of the victims' parents to get their hands on them. In this case, Lotus found out what happened to Nona.

Also, it never really was explained why Lotus was dressed that way. I have a theory on it. At one point she said she was unemployed (but used to work for a security firm). I think she was just trying to make ends meet so she took a belly dancing gig. I honestly think it was something as simple as that. Was there some implication on the real reason that I just missed in the game?

ah yeh its true that Lotus got her kids back but couldn't bring herself to ask them about it and investigated on her own. Maybe she was undercover as a belly dancer? :D But then that means Zero knew she wanted to know so kidnapped her in order to let her experience it first hand?

As for her job, I think she quit so she could investigate this and she wasn't in a state to work really, I dont think she was fired so she simply wanted to devote all her time to finding answers rather than making ends meet, I could be wrong.

Gunloc said:
But what reason would Seven have to lie about Akane if he really did lose his memory? And all the people talking about how a girl died in the first Nonary game were either covering or were just going by information relayed to them. And the media only reported about the 16 recovered children, Aoi & Akane were not mentioned in any of the news releases. The only people with information about them were people related to the incident.

Nona was there, but not when Hongou grabbed Akane and threw her back in the incinerator. It was just Seven, Aoi and Light/Snake. (I don't remember Lotus mentioning that someone died, but it's possible. If so, they only reason would be that Nona or someone else effected by the first Nonary game told her.)

Remember that Snake's braille note had more on it than he read to the group, so even though he wasn't in on the set-up, I'm sure it occurred to him what has happening, at least in part. Why Akane didn't include him is unknown, but maybe she was worried that too many people with forehand knowledge would compromise the plan.

Yes I agree, it doesn't make sense that Seven would lie once he got his memory back. But I do think his memory loss was genuine because of how and when his memories came back, didn't they have to be jogged at some stages? and he was being prompted for information rather than giving hints when necessary i.e. Akane's surname. Also his reactions to bad memories was pretty intense.

I just think it was far too random to have more than 1 or 2 involved. People dying, others getting upset, getting kidnapped, guns changing hands, information only being uncovered in certain scenarios and so on. The way they go about finally figuring out who Zero is for example (and got it wrong!), did not seem like actors trying to guide Junpei down a certain path.

Another weird thing was how Akane kept getting ill, that wasn't staged.

I'd be more inclined to believe in alternate realities or some other weird shit than 3 or 4 of them being in on the plan.

Maybe I should stop picking at the plot cos I'm gonna find lots of holes I reckon.

The Technomancer

Aaaaand there's the
submarine
ending. I assume at this point that
one of the three lying dead in the main hall was faking

wrowa

kaizoku said:
No, that's not weird at all. Akane always became ill when you've chosen a wrong decision that'll lead to another ending than the true one. She became ill because in every other ending she would have died 9 years ago already.

What didn't make sense to me was
why Akane's and Aoi's name weren't published 9 years ago (why did no one realize that they went missing? they weren't some homeless kids) and why Junpei only recognized Akane but not her brother.

Nishastra

Banned
Got another ending. The
safe/letter
ending, going by the picture. It took me a minute to figure out what it was a picture of :p

This path informed me of... a large number of things. Not sure which path to take next. There's only one major option I haven't taken, but there's any number of combinations I've yet to try.

kaizoku said:
Yes I agree, it doesn't make sense that Seven would lie once he got his memory back. But I do think his memory loss was genuine because of how and when his memories came back, didn't they have to be jogged at some stages? and he was being prompted for information rather than giving hints when necessary i.e. Akane's surname. Also his reactions to bad memories was pretty intense.

I just think it was far too random to have more than 1 or 2 involved. People dying, others getting upset, getting kidnapped, guns changing hands, information only being uncovered in certain scenarios and so on. The way they go about finally figuring out who Zero is for example (and got it wrong!), did not seem like actors trying to guide Junpei down a certain path.

I'd be more inclined to believe in alternate realities or some other weird shit than 3 or 4 of them being in on the plan.

Maybe I should stop picking at the plot cos I'm gonna find lots of holes I reckon.
Junpei calls Seven on lying about Akane dying, but if he was really an amnesiac, why would he lie? (Akselziys confirmed that it was an insinuation that Seven was in on it.) Even when Seven first talked about his amnesia in the earlier stages of the game, Junpei suspected something was wrong.

Also, Zero & Co. had to lead Junpei down a specific path. She has seen all the alternate scenarios and knows this is the only way to save herself and close the loop. Their goal wasn't to have Junpei discover who Zero is, it was to get him to the incinerator and have him be in a situation that would leave him open to connect to the morphogenetic field.

Akane's fevers were an indication that you were on the wrong path. It meant that soon she would cease to exist.

wrowa said:
What didn't make sense to me was
why Akane's and Aoi's name weren't published 9 years ago (why did no one realize that they went missing? they weren't some homeless kids) and why Junpei only recognized Akane but not her brother.
They weren't homeless, but the were orphans that lived by themselves. They may have been reported missing, but not in connection to this case. Plus, with Seven on their side, they could keep their names out of the official police reports. (Though, I agree that this detail could have been handled a bit neater.)

And Junpei and Akane were school friends, it's not unreasonable to assume that Akane never introduced Junpei to Aoi. I certainly didn't know all of my school friend's siblings.

Flek

Banned
just ordered me the us version … had a 25 usd gift voucher from amazon anyway. So why wait for the (never going to happen?) eu version? Looking forward to it :)

Loving the game so far! I have the Submarine and Safe endings so far. If i go for the True Ending right now, can i do it from Continue? Or do i have to start a game with Memories? Either way it starts from the begining. And is the True Ending worth it? I dont want to bother if it has some ending like Shutter Island. :lol

The Technomancer

Whoa whoa wait
the body in the shower isn't Snake's?
Okay, love this game. But I'd better start getting some answers in the next two endings. Although Ace just made a logic leap about
Allice and whoever killed the captain
that I find quite unbelievable.

Flek

Banned
Gillian Seed said:
q9gQx.jpg

THANKYOU FOR NOT USING SPOILERCODES ABOUT THE ENDINGS … ass**** :(

wrowa

Oh, yeah, before I forget to mention it: the game is my GOTY 2010. After I've seen the first four endings, I was convinced that I wasn't so fascinated by any other game released last year. After playing the last one, my mind's just blown.

I really hope 999 will be successful enough for Aksys to warrant localizing other visual novels like this one.

Nishastra

Banned
I call my current playthrough "Junpei is an imbecile".

I'm picking the wrong answer to every straightforward question put towards me. The... elevator conversation is... ludicrous :p

The Technomancer

Okay, what the hell does that random stuff at the
Coffin
end. Can someone give me a yes or no answer as to whether
"I am Santa" and "let our game begin"
will make sense in the last two endings?
Safe and True

Top Bottom