• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Hylian7

Akselziys said:
Yay, someone noticed :D

We're continuing to promote and hype 999 and we should be receiving our re-order of copies soon! ;)
I know it's not available now, but is there any chance the watches will ever be available by themselves again? I'd rather not have to eBay-snipe for one.

Alright I got all the endings finally. I cant explain how blown away I was by this game, it was just too good. Truly an epic story. I read all the posts in the thread too since no need to worry about spoilers anymore. Love all the tid bits from everyone to help fill in any and all I questions I would have had.

My interest in this game was sparked over a year ago when I saw Kinu Nishimura's art for it. Im so happy she worked on it cause had it not been for the art I am sure I would have missed out on this game. With that said, Akselziys you gotta pitch to chunsoft to consider putting out an artbook please. I could die with no regrets if an artbook was released. :lol

nny

Akselziys said:
We're continuing to promote and hype 999 and we should be receiving our re-order of copies soon! ;)

I'm glad to see that you guys are actively promoting the game (and that it is doing well); this game really deserves to reach as many hands as possible.

hayejin

Hylian7 said:
I know it's not available now, but is there any chance the watches will ever be available by themselves again? I'd rather not have to eBay-snipe for one.

Are the watches that sought after like the game now?

Would someone kindly explain the blue and red suitcase solution to me? I solved it, but I had to use a process of elimination to get it rather than finding the other two numbers for each case.

So, for example:

I got the [63] for the blue case, but the solution is [0263]. So, where do you get the [02]? It's the same with the red case. I got [74] for the solution [7485], but I don't know where the [85] comes from. Do the numbers come from the opposite or mirrored shapes on that paper?

I feel like a moron for not really getting this.

Hylian7

RadioHeadAche said:
Would someone kindly explain the blue and red suitcase solution to me? I solved it, but I had to use a process of elimination to get it rather than finding the other two numbers for each case.

So, for example:

I got the [63] for the blue case, but the solution is [0263]. So, where do you get the [02]? It's the same with the red case. I got [74] for the solution [7485], but I don't know where the [85] comes from. Do the numbers come from the opposite or mirrored shapes on that paper?

I feel like a moron for not really getting this.
You should have gotten two pieces of paper. One of them had the first two digits of the blue code and the last two digits of the red code, the other one was vice versa. Use the back of the ship photo to figure out the code.

Lard

Banned
There are two pieces of paper that you find. Each one has blue symbols and red symbols.

You take the first two red symbols from one paper and the last two from the other, and combine them together to get one number. Now do the same with the red

That was easy. That fucking puzzle at the very end was *impossible*.

Just in the midst of the true ending now. :D

As for the True Ending - WTF?

Hylian7 said:
You should have gotten two pieces of paper. One of them had the first two digits of the blue code and the last two digits of the red code, the other one was vice versa. Use the back of the ship photo to figure out the code.

lol wut

Where was the other piece of paper? All I had was the photo and one piece of paper. I thought I thoroughly checked that room, but maybe not. Also, the piece of paper I had was from the bulletin board.

nny

RadioHeadAche said:
lol wut

Where was the other piece of paper? All I had was the photo and one piece of paper. I thought I thoroughly checked that room, but maybe not. Also, the piece of paper I had was from the bulletin board.

Wasn't the other one
under a pillow?

Hylian7

RadioHeadAche said:
lol wut

Look under the pillow on the bed to the right of the door.

Hylian7

Lard said:
There are two pieces of paper that you find. Each one has blue symbols and red symbols.

You take the first two red symbols from one paper and the last two from the other, and combine them together to get one number. Now do the same with the red

That was easy. That fucking puzzle at the very end was *impossible*.

Just in the midst of the true ending now. :D

As for the True Ending - WTF?
I will never think of games with multiple endings or narrators the same way again. In case anyone didn't understand why you had to turn the DS upside down for the puzzle at the end, it's because the top screen was Junpei and the bottom screen was Akane. The entire game it was Akane doing the puzzles and telepathically sending them to Junpei. At the end, it was young Akane that needed help, so it was up to Junpei. The top screen isn't a touch screen, so the way to circumvent this was to flip the DS upside down, hence the image of Akane crying on the non-touch screen.

Lard

Banned
Oh I got that part.

I think the idea of
what they did with the multiple endings and why they happened was really interesting. I get that.

But having you know who show at the very last moment seemed like a deliberate "let's be as crazy as we can" Shymalan style twist - a twist included for the sake being shocking rather than making sense.

Yeah, I know it was talked about al through the game, but it just seemed a bit silly to have her hitchhiking.

I guessed the part about them being in building Q when they were talking about the two experiments at the end, but I still thought it was neat. Overall, really well done.

Lard said:
Oh I got that part.

I think the idea of
what they did with the multiple endings and why they happened was really interesting. I get that.

But having you know who show at the very last moment seemed like a deliberate "let's be as crazy as we can" Shymalan style twist - a twist included for the sake being shocking rather than making sense.

Yeah, I know it was talked about al through the game, but it just seemed a bit silly to have her hitchhiking.

I guessed the part about them being in building Q when they were talking about the two experiments at the end, but I still thought it was neat. Overall, really well done.
I didn't see you know who as a "twist" at all. It's the equivalent of a chracter turning their face to the audience and winking. Just a light-hearted way to end the story.

Hyunkel6

RadioHeadAche said:
lol wut

I also didn't find the other note. That's why the first puzzle was the hardest for me. :lol

hosannainexcelsis said:
I didn't see you know who as a "twist" at all. It's the equivalent of a chracter turning their face to the audience and winking. Just a light-hearted way to end the story.
Yep, and it fits in with the light hearted tone that was taken after their escape. After all that heavy subject matter, all the bad endings I got, the dark tone that dominated much of the game and honestly the liberties with science that were being taken at some points, it was kinda nice to a.) have a happy ending and b.) remind you not to take the stuff so seriously.

Kinda like when Lotus was talking about the picture experiments, acting all serious...but at the end states that she was just fucking with you. I thought the ending was another version of that.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm on my final play through and am about to get the true ending. Just taking a pause to say I can see just how deep this story is now, and its not deep in the sense that the text and writing is layered or meaningful, but the interaction is deep, it really is an interactive novel.

and what I mean by that is
the act of replaying the game over and over and doing the same doors repeatedly and in different combination, slowly revealing more of each characters story is like living out the morphogenetic theories. Each play has inherited knowledge from an invisible connection and more layers are peeled back each time. I find that quite profound.

I'm a little surprised this game hasn't been mentioned on more podcasts (that I listen to)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I'm so pissed that I sold my DS and didn't get a chance to play this game, and Ghost Trick coming out soon.

I'm going to have to convince my brother to let me borrow his DS for this game!

Takuhi

kaizoku said:
I'm on my final play through and am about to get the true ending. Just taking a pause to say I can see just how deep this story is now, and its not deep in the sense that the text and writing is layered or meaningful, but the interaction is deep, it really is an interactive novel.

and what I mean by that is
the act of replaying the game over and over and doing the same doors repeatedly and in different combination, slowly revealing more of each characters story is like living out the morphogenetic theories. Each play has inherited knowledge from an invisible connection and more layers are peeled back each time. I find that quite profound.

I'm a little surprised this game hasn't been mentioned on more podcasts (that I listen to)

Yeah, I agree with this completely. It totally caught me by surprise and quietly blew my mind.
It reminded me of Bioshock in that it's the very rare narrative trick that would only work in the video game medium, and seems to open the door to new ideas that haven't explored endlessly in films/TV/novels etc. It does deserve more discussion in the sort of endless can-video games-be-art debates that occur here and on podcasts, although tragically any discussion of it would end up ruining the game for people who haven't played it.

But you may be listening to the wrong podcasts! On Warning A Huge Podcast! we've been talking about 999 for six months. Sorry, had to get that plug in.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
First room pissed me off. Fumbled pretty hard with the 'pixel hunt' as I apparently missed touching a section of the screen that did a close-up of a pillow that had an important note tucked underneath it(fucking stupid). Considering the amount of time I was fuming trying to solve the puzzle without that note, it was a really poor introduction to what everyone considers a fine game.

If the rest of the game's puzzles turn out like that...I can't say they will be a real strong point of this game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Brandon F said:
First room pissed me off. Fumbled pretty hard with the 'pixel hunt' as I apparently missed touching a section of the screen that did a close-up of a pillow that had an important note tucked underneath it(fucking stupid). Considering the amount of time I was fuming trying to solve the puzzle without that note, it was a really poor introduction to what everyone considers a fine game.

If the rest of the game's puzzles turn out like that...I can't say they will be a real strong point of this game.
You have to check EVERYTHING. The puzzles themselves aren't very hard, it's just trying to get everything you need for it.

Brandon F said:
That's the most awkward hitbox in the whole game, the rest of the puzzles are far easier to navigate.

Hylian7

7Th said:
No, no. It's the other way around.
Unless I misunderstood something, no, that's not the case. That was why you had to flip the DS upside down at the end, because Junpei was the one actually solving that puzzle.

Cactus

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Unless I misunderstood something, no, that's not the case. That was why you had to flip the DS upside down at the end, because Junpei was the one actually solving that puzzle.

They switch positions at the end so Junpei can save young Akane, which was the whole point of the second nonary game, but throughout the rest of the game it's Akane transmitting to Junpei.

Hylian7

Cactus said:
They switch positions at the end so Junpei can save young Akane, which was the whole point of the second nonary game, but throughout the rest of the game it's Akane transmitting to Junpei.
That's exactly what I initially said (or meant at least).

Lard

Banned
shichishito said:
Yep, and it fits in with the light hearted tone that was taken after their escape. After all that heavy subject matter, all the bad endings I got, the dark tone that dominated much of the game and honestly the liberties with science that were being taken at some points, it was kinda nice to a.) have a happy ending and b.) remind you not to take the stuff so seriously.

Kinda like when Lotus was talking about the picture experiments, acting all serious...but at the end states that she was just fucking with you. I thought the ending was another version of that.

I guess so. Tonally it seemed a little bit off from the rest of the game, which was fairly serious. Not really anything bad, I just felt it was a bit awkward. Chalk it up to personal preference. Probably my only real quibble with the game.

Now that I've finished 999, on to Theresia!

Lard said:
I guess so. Tonally it seemed a little bit off from the rest of the game, which was fairly serious. Not really anything bad, I just felt it was a bit awkward. Chalk it up to personal preference. Probably my only real quibble with the game.

Now that I've finished 999, on to Theresia!
I totally understand where you're coming from.

And interestingly enough, it's back to Theresia for me, too. I started, but took a break to dive into 999. I need to finish it before Ghost Trick, though.

Adam Prime said:
Is this game on sale anywhere, or is $30 pretty much the asking price anywhere you look?
It's $35 and up. Lots of places are charging extra too since it's getting a lot of attention and demand is increasing.

Don't expect it to go on sale anytime soon, but it's worth every penny of it's full price.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This game was awesome but so dangerous, I more or less played it non stop trying to cut my way through the endings. Finally done and glad its over, really enjoyed the ride but anymore would've been wrong for me. Very refreshing experience and something that could only be done via games.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to recommend it to friends as it feels like a very hardcore experience, its probably as hardcore as it gets. You have to put up with anime art style, verbose text that goes on and on and rather convoluted puzzles and play mechanics but above all, the replay thing is essential yet goes against what people are usually willing to do.

I'm not sure most people would sit through this kind of game, nevermind sit through it enough times to get the full experience, but I'm glad I've done it and glad to have found a collection of like minded people to talk about it with!

That ending - wow, unexpected. If you have like 4 or 5 of the possible endings, I still dont think you're prepared for the final true ending. Definitely play through them all first. Use a guide to figure out how to structure your play after your first/second time.

Lard

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I see this game is sold out on Aksys' store. :D

New shipment coming soon apparently for people like Adam Prime. This is not a game that's going to be discounted on Amazon. Word is spreading and people are buying them up to try and hock them on EBay. I'd grab one as soon as it's available.

shichishito said:
I totally understand where you're coming from.

And interestingly enough, it's back to Theresia for me, too. I started, but took a break to dive into 999. I need to finish it before Ghost Trick, though.

Yeah, I grabbed it at Halloween and just didn't have time to get into it. I have ten days before school starts to plow through a few games! :D

Cactus

Banned
If I want to be engrossed in a great story, should I play Jake Hunter or Therecia (or both)? I'm in the mood to play another 999-type game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Cactus said:
If I want to be engrossed in a great story, should I play Jake Hunter or Therecia (or both)? I'm in the mood to play another 999-type game.
Phoenix Wright. :D
I haven't played either of those games but it is my duty to spread the joy of Phoenix Wright.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Cactus said:

Both :D!
I have a soft spot for Jake Hunter/Saburo Jinguji, however, if you're expecting puzzles, it's mainly just a visual novel. Theresia has gameplay if you're looking for that.

Cactus said:
I can't speak for Theresia as I've yet to try it, but Jake Hunter is quite enjoyable. The tone for Jake Hunter is quite different though, it's deeply rooted in a noir detective style. And it's a much more "pure" text adventure/visual novel, there are very few puzzles beyond presenting the correct item to the correct person.

If you do give Jake Hunter a go, make sure it's the Memories of the Past version. The first Jake Hunter game released in the US (Detective Chronicles) is the same game as Memories of the Past, but it has over half of the content removed.

Other DS adventure game suggestions I would make are the Hotel Dusk series and the Ace Attorney series. Both are truly excellent and are must plays for any adventure game fans IMO.

The Touch Detective series is also really fun, but it's a bit obtuse. You have to be in the mood for a wacky game with unconventional solutions.

Akselziys said:
I have a soft spot for Jake Hunter/Saburo Jinguji, however, if you're expecting puzzles, it's mainly just a visual novel. Theresia has gameplay if you're looking for that.
Release more Jake Hunter please! ^_^

Cactus

Banned
Fantastical said:
Phoenix Wright. :D
I haven't played either of those games but it is my duty to spread the joy of Phoenix Wright.

Played them and loved them. I also spread the joy of Pheonix Wright whenever I can :D

Akselziys said:

What type of gameplay? Is it more like Hotel Dusk, 999 or something completely different?

Gunloc said:
I can't speak for Theresia as I've yet to try it, but Jake Hunter is quite enjoyable. The tone for Jake Hunter is quite different though, it's deeply rooted in a noir detective style. And it's a much more "pure" text adventure/visual novel, there are very few puzzles beyond presenting the correct item to the correct person.

If you do give Jake Hunter a go, make sure it's the Memories of the Past version. The first Jake Hunter game released in the US (Detective Chronicles) is the same game as Memories of the Past, but it has over half of the content removed.

Other DS adventure game suggestions I would make are the Hotel Dusk series and the Ace Attorney series. Both are truly excellent and are must plays for any adventure game fans IMO.

I love hardboiled/noir detective books and games (Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two of my favourite games ever). I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the tip about Memories of the Past.

Cactus said:
I love hardboiled/noir detective books and games (Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two of my favourite games ever). I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the tip about Memories of the Past.
NP. Have you played Trace Memory and Another Code R? I personally consider them part of the same series as Hotel Dusk/Last Window since they take place in the same continuity. I loves me some CiNG.

Cactus

Banned
Gunloc said:
NP. Have you played Trace Memory and Another Code R? I personally consider them part of the same series as Hotel Dusk/Last Window since they take place in the same continuity. I loves me some CiNG.

Nope. I'm sure that I'm missing out on some great games, but something about Trace memory rubs me the wrong way based on the videos I've watched. It doesn't help that I'll probably never get to play the sequel.

Lard

Banned
Brandon F said:

I don't know...

I found that puzzle pretty easy, but I just assumed something would be on the beds and kept checking til I found something. I really wouldn't call this puzzle a pixel hunt.

And Another Code R was Europe only for Wii. :(

Cactus said:
Nope. I'm sure that I'm missing out on some great games, but something about Trace memory rubs me the wrong way based on the videos I've watched. It doesn't help that I'll probably never get to play the sequel.
I see.

Though, if you are a huge Hotel Dusk fan, I'd suggest giving Trace Memory a chance. It has some of the coolest puzzles I've ever come across in a DS game, and the story is actually quite interesting. It's very atmospheric too, something I really appreciated about Hotel Dusk.

It's also super short, so it's not a huge time investment if you're still unsure. I liked it so much, it prompted me to import Another Code R despite not having a PAL Wii. (I plan to purchase one someday soon.)

Just got my second ending! My first was the
submarine
and now I got the
knife
one.

It was an interesting twist realizing that
door 9 = two of them.
The story is starting to get a little weird – in a very good way! :D

The knocking from the coffin was very freaky and made me feel a little uneasy. I’m also getting suspicious of Santa and Clover.

Could they be Light and Aoi? If not them...I’m thinking maybe at least one of them is!
I’m not sure how I’ll play through it again.

Ok guys, give me some hints/tips on how I should play through it next. I’m pretty sure you guys won’t want me to get the true ending just yet......

So, give me some hints/tips on which doors I should go through this time. I really don’t want a repeated ending. Obviously don't post any spoilers!

Top Bottom