• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

jaxword

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, what the hell does that random stuff at the
Coffin
. Can someone give me a yes or no answer as to weather
"I am Santa" and "let our game begin"
will make sense in the last two endings?
Safe and True

Wait until you get the best ending so you understand what happened there.

Hylian7

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, what the hell does that random stuff at the
Coffin
end. Can someone give me a yes or no answer as to whether
"I am Santa" and "let our game begin"
will make sense in the last two endings?
Safe and True
That random video you saw was actually just an alternate intro, nothing any more relevant to the story than what you hear in the actual game.

The "Actually, I'm Santa" quote comes from part of the safe ending.

Hylian7

Nishastra said:
I call my current playthrough "Junpei is an imbecile".

I'm picking the wrong answer to every straightforward question put towards me. The... elevator conversation is... ludicrous :p
The first time I saw that elevator conversation I was laughing so hard.

True ending spoiler:
Does the results of the true ending (as Akane is telling the story on the touch screen) mean that she was actually intentionally coming on to Junpei in a sexual way? I may have to play this game again since I saw the true ending now, thinking about the results of the true ending though to see how many more things I pick up on.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, found my first true "plot hole" so far, which is really good for a game of this scope. But from the
Coffin ending
we know that
Junpei managed to take in a lot of details about Snake's body, including his arm
but on my current runthrough
Clover told me about Snake's fake arm before the body was discovered. Why didn't Junpei notice?
I mean, I guess I can buy that he's only human, and stuff escapes our notice...

EDIT: BOOM! There it is. I should have known better then to doubt.

Hylian7 said:
That random video you saw was actually just an alternate intro, nothing any more relevant to the story than what you hear in the actual game.
The two videos you can unlock are hints on how to get the Safe Ending and True Ending.

jaxword

Hylian7 said:
The first time I saw that elevator conversation I was laughing so hard.

True ending spoiler:

Yep, it means all along
June wasn't the innocent little flower she pretended to be, and Junpei was the naive one.

Nishastra

Banned
Axe.
I saw this one coming a mile away. There are numerous things I know I can do differently, things that felt off this time.

It's kind of infuriating, though, as I just did the
safe
path, how
Clover stopped them from going to the room with the 9 doors so she could kill the people she thought killed her brother...
But that's out of character knowledge for you :p

And anyway, Junpei
wouldn't know how to open the coffin in the axe path.

The Technomancer

Aw man,
Really Ace? Really? The one person that I didn't really suspect...

Argh, unanswered questions!
Why doesn't Ace know about Clover and Santa being in the experiment as well? Why does the 0 bracelet register as 6? Who stabbed Lotus in the knife ending? Who stabbed me in the submarine ending?
True Ending, you had better be one hell of a finale.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I'm trying to decide if I should GameFly this or just purchase it... about how long is the game to see all the endings and such?

Mdk7

Just beat it with the true ending (after having beaten all the other ones in the past weeks).
Nice experience and very interesting game, yet nowhere as astounding as some reviews are implying it is.

Also, i was i bit let down by the true ending... i was expecting something mind blowing à la The Sixth Sense, and eventually it's something more along the lines of Lost, with random stuff that doesn't fully make sense thrown at you at the very end to surprise you at all costs. Don't know, i think it's honestly a little too much for my taste.

Feep

Banned
I just bought this game today based solely on the fact that this GAF thread had 26 pages of replies. I didn't even ever open it and read any of the posts. I just knew it had that many pages.

GAF influences my buying habits too much, I suppose.

Anyway, did I make a good move? Should I wait a year and sell it to some weeaboo for a hundred dollars?

Adam Prime said:
So I'm trying to decide if I should GameFly this or just purchase it... about how long is the game to see all the endings and such?
Buy the game. I think it took me at least 30 hours to complete all endings. Either way, it's a great rare game to keep as collection.

The Technomancer

Feep said:
I just bought this game today based solely on the fact that this GAF thread had 26 pages of replies. I didn't even ever open it and read any of the posts. I just knew it had that many pages.

GAF influences my buying habits too much, I suppose.

Anyway, did I make a good move? Should I wait a year and sell it to some weeaboo for a hundred dollars?
Do you like text-heavy adventure games? If so, play through the game once, decide that its mediocre to somewhat above average, and then on our advice decide to play through it for a few alternate endings, and then realize that its actually awesome.

Feep

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Do you like text-heavy adventure games? If so, play through the game once, decide that its mediocre to somewhat above average, and then on our advice decide to play through it for a few alternate endings, and then realize that its actually awesome.
I have to play through the ENTIRE game again to see an alternate ending? Can't I YouTube that shit?

The Technomancer

Feep said:
I have to play through the ENTIRE game again to see an alternate ending? Can't I YouTube that shit?
Nono, you skip text that you've already read at an incredibly fast pace. My first playthrough was about six hours, my second was less then two, and from then on out its been less then an hour a playthrough.

Feep

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Nono, you skip text that you've already read at an incredibly fast pace. My first playthrough was about six hours, my second was less then two, and from then on out its been less then an hour a playthrough.
Aight, I'll open it.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm currently doing mostly the same path that led me to
axe
last time, but fixing the one part that felt totally off.

If you go into
door 4, then door 8, 8 is just a mess. Junpei pisses off Lotus and doesn't connect with Clover at all, while 4 then 7 opens up a whole world of information and (assuming you have the bookmark) changes Clover's demeanor entirely.

In other news, I'm getting really tired of
door 4, as I've done it like four times in a row now, and the kitchen is the only room I can think of where you can't really skip any parts entirely, as you have to get stuck in the freezer for a while before you can solve it :p

Also, about
door 5... My first time through the game, I demanded to go in door 5 specifically because I wanted Junpei to pick up the 9 watch, since nothing led me to believe that you actually needed a person attached to it. Alas, Junpei didn't think of it...

Nishastra

Banned
LiK said:
One of the most unexpected funny moments in the game: Search the Frozen Chicken ;)
For some reason, when you finish the
door 4 dog picture puzzle
, I found the way Junpei says
"Aaaaaand there goes the picture frame"
hilarious. He just sounds so resigned, and it's fairly out of nowhere :p

Just got my third ending
axe

It was a bad ending, but I'm pretty sure I know how to avoid this ending and expand it into different things. But, based on this ending and the
knife
ending, I'm going to say that
Ace took the 9 bracelet and murders Lotus.
It's the only thing that makes sense, and I'm not sure yet if there's any possible way to stop it.

Also, I seemed to have missed an ending between two pictures. The fourth picture. Not sure if I'll ever get it at this point. I should be able to see one more ending tonight.

The Technomancer

Alright, just got the true ending. I think I understand, when you strip everything away its
a basic time paradox. Akane saved herself with information from the future, but then had to plant herself into the roles of 0 and June in order to make sure that that future occurred, thus allowing her to have the information. Two things I don't get though: why did she disappear at the end and how the hell does Santa play into everything? Under my theory, Akane never died, but told him that unless they carried out the new game she would die in the past. Except that Seven and Snake have memories of her dying in the past so...yeah..I'm lost.

EDIT: Damnit, I really need to actually watch endings through to the end before typing these posts.

The_Technomancer said:
Alright, just got the true ending. I think I understand, when you strip everything away its
a basic time paradox. Akane saved herself with information from the future, but then had to plant herself into the roles of 0 and June in order to make sure that that future occurred, thus allowing her to have the information. Two things I don't get though: why did she disappear at the end and how the hell does Santa play into everything? Under my theory, Akane never died, but told him that unless they carried out the new game she would die in the past. Except that Seven and Snake have memories of her dying in the past so...yeah..I'm lost.
You're basically correct, but Akane didn't disappear at the end. She left with Aoi before the lockdown in the incinerator. Aoi/Santa was her co-conspirator. Being her brother, he had ever reason to help her insure that she didn't disappear in nine years.

Also, you're correct that she didn't die in the past. Both Snake and Seven were lying to cover for her. Seven was even apparently helping Akane and Aoi, as alluded to in the game.

The Technomancer

Gunloc said:
You're basically correct, but Akane didn't disappear at the end. She left with Aoi before the lockdown in the incinerator. Aoi/Santa was her co-conspirator. Being her brother, he had ever reason to help her insure that she didn't disappear in nine years.
Hm, I must have missed that.
I thought she just vanished

jaxword

Entire game:

The entire game is Akane visualizing what would happen down the various timelines. That's why certain endings just flat out end inexplicably for Junpei, it's showing the rare storytelling POV of someone in the collapsing timeline.

It's not clear if Seven really knew or not, but he does seem to get headaches at key moments. Note that Akane gets a fever whenever Junpei goes down the wrong path--her 12 year old self viewing this is going to burn to death.

Think of the entire story as a closed loop of Akane figuring out the Soduku by viewing Junpei do it 9 years later. Everything else is a what-if scenerio that we got to play. In theory, Akane died in every scenario that Junpei made the wrong choices. Akane, seeing those, avoided them and was able to live. You can't change the past, but you can collapse the futures you don't want.

The developers have been asked questions and haven't answered yet. When they do, things should be clearer.

Just got the
coffin
ending. Uhhhhhhhh.... I'm not sure where to go from here. I've got one other idea, but it's not a good one. The
to be continued
is really throwing me off.

Hylian7

ScrabbleDude said:
Just got the
coffin
ending. Uhhhhhhhh.... I'm not sure where to go from here. I've got one other idea, but it's not a good one. The
to be continued
Just think about what you've seen in this run and previous runs, and make a plan of what you think you need to do.

Hint: It won't be any of the same doors you went through to get to the coffin ending.

ScrabbleDude said:
Just got the
coffin
to be continued
Highlight the spoilers one line at a time.

The video you unlocked is a clue to what you should do next. If you want more specific directions, read my spoiler below.

*Major Spoiler*
You need to get a specific ending now to unlock the path to the True Ending. I'll put some hints below, and then the exact doors.

Hint #1
Start with door 5.

Hint #2
You should go through an even numbered door for your third door.

Direct Route
Doors 5, 8 & 6

Nishastra

Banned
I'm on to the
true end, here. I like how it basically involves Junpei remembering the other playthroughs. Or the safe one, at least. Since I got the safe one before the coffin, does anyone know how I can actually get the coffin now?

Anyway, time to keep watching :p

Hylian7

Nishastra said:
I'm on to the
true end, here. I like how it basically involves Junpei remembering the other playthroughs. Or the safe one, at least. Since I got the safe one before the coffin, does anyone know how I can actually get the coffin now?

Anyway, time to keep watching :p
You can't.

Loving the game so far! I have the Submarine and Safe endings so far. If i go for the True Ending right now, can i do it from Continue? Or do i have to start a game with Memories? Either way it starts from the begining. And is the True Ending worth it? I dont want to bother if it has some ending like Shutter Island.

AniHawk

getting real tired of getting
murdered
here.

1st runthrough:
Knife. Fuck, well, this time I should just stick with June then.
2nd runthrough:
Sub. FUCK. Well, I didn't go down to room 1 yet so maybe that's the way to go.
3rd runthrough:
Axe.

kVajk.gif

Nishastra

Banned
Hylian7 said:
You can't.
Had me worried there, but
you get the coffin end marked when you do the true end if you didn't already have it. Now I just need the knife and then I've done them all.

Perhaps I can actually safely read some of this thread now :p

Lard

Banned
AniHawk said:
getting real tired of getting
murdered
here.

1st runthrough:
Knife. Fuck, well, this time I should just stick with June then.
2nd runthrough:
Sub. FUCK. Well, I didn't go down to room 1 yet so maybe that's the way to go.
3rd runtrhough:
Axe.

kVajk.gif

Your quote plus that gif just made me laugh out loud :lol

Nishastra

Banned
Gillian Seed said:
Loving the game so far! I have the Submarine and Safe endings so far. If i go for the True Ending right now, can i do it from Continue? Or do i have to start a game with Memories? Either way it starts from the begining. And is the True Ending worth it? I dont want to bother if it has some ending like Shutter Island.
Continue and Start with Memories aren't actually different if your save is an end-game save. Just continue would load somewhere else if your save was somewhere else, and start always starts from the beginning.

And of course the true ending is worth it :p

Incidentally, about the true ending (spoiling almost everything ahead),
the only person I ever suspected of being Zero was actually Akane. As soon as I knew enough about the characters to start piecing things together, she was who I guessed.

Here was my thinking before the true end: Ace was responsible for the experiment. Snake and Clover were in the experiment. Santa's sister was in the experiment. Seven was investigating the experiment. Lotus had two daughters in the experiment, and 9th Man was connected to Ace somehow.

The only people not connected to the others at all were Akane and Junpei. Why were they there? The only explanation I could come up with, as I trusted Junpei to not be hiding things from the player, was that Akane was Zero, as she was the only one with a connection to Junpei.

Of course, it turned out that Akane was very connected and Santa was more connected than I realized, but I was right about why Junpei was there, at least :p

The Technomancer

You know, under one interpretation this game is actually quite depressing. True ending spoilers ahoy!
The time travel information stuff has some bad implications, and I don't just mean the standard "if you can see whats going to happen in the future then there's no free will stuff".
Akane was able to see (at least) five possible futures, five possible parallel timelines. And those timelines exist, we lived through them. But Junpei only succeeds in one of them. Sure, at the end of the game in the happy timeline we see that everything worked out and all the good guys lived, but that doesn't change that in four other alternate realities, each of them as real and valid as the happy one, Junpei failed, Akane never made it out and Santa has to live with the memories of his incinerated sister. And I don't even know how that works out, if history retroactively patches itself up in those timelines when he fails.

Nishastra

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
You know, under one interpretation this game is actually quite depressing. True ending spoilers ahoy!
The time travel information stuff has some bad implications, and I don't just mean the standard "if you can see whats going to happen in the future then there's no free will stuff".
Akane was able to see (at least) five possible futures, five possible parallel timelines. And those timelines exist, we lived through them. But Junpei only succeeds in one of them. Sure, at the end of the game in the happy timeline we see that everything worked out and all the good guys lived, but that doesn't change that in four other alternate realities, each of them as real and valid as the happy one, Junpei failed, Akane never made it out and Santa has to live with the memories of his incinerated sister. And I don't even know how that works out, if history retroactively patches itself up in those timelines when he fails.
Do they actually happen? I'm not sure they can. Past-Akane has to experience them, but then she uses her connection to Junpei to ensure that they don't happen, to lead him the right way. Time doesn't actually loop, but rather past-Akane is going through all these future scenarios with Junpei.

If they actually happened, present-Akane and Zero couldn't exist in those timelines. The present Nonary Game couldn't happen. If Junpei fails, past-Akane dies, and everything becomes a paradox.

The Technomancer

Nishastra said:
Do they actually happen? I'm not sure they can. Past-Akane has to experience them, but then she uses her connection to Junpei to ensure that they don't happen, to lead him the right way. Time doesn't actually loop, but rather past-Akane is going through all these future scenarios with Junpei.

If they actually happened, present-Akane and Zero couldn't exist in those timelines. The present Nonary Game couldn't happen. If Junpei fails, past-Akane dies, and everything becomes a paradox.
Well yeah, that's kinda my point.
If they don't happen in some parallel universe, then how can she watch them to see them unfold? She doesn't just "know" what happens, she lives through all four other scenarios in Junpei's head, he actually goes through them. It gets very paradoxical.

Nishastra

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Well yeah, that's kinda my point.
If they don't happen in some parallel universe, then how can she watch them to see them unfold? She doesn't just "know" what happens, she lives through all four other scenarios in Junpei's head, he actually goes through them. It gets very paradoxical.
I'm thinking that it's all on past-Akane. Since she's in the past and is communicating to the future, if something goes wrong in the future, she can just start over again and do a better job of leading Junpei this time. She doesn't actually need a "new" Junpei. She's not really bound by continuity where the future is concerned.

That's really the only way it can work, as far as I can see. Even then it still has some problems :p

The main problem is past-Akane's time. If she's linked to Junpei in real time (one second to one second), then it can't work. She can't go through the future more than once. Past-Akane HAS to be able to go through the future game at least twice, or nothing works at all. So I'm just going to assume that it's not 1:1 :p

wsippel

Banned
So, never got around mentioning it, but I've imported the games a while ago as promised. It's awesome. I won't be lying, I haven't even finished the first playthrough, and knowing myself, I don't think I ever will, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. It really is excellent, and I'm happy to see that it seemingly gets the recognition it deserves.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wsippel said:
So, never got around mentioning it, but I've imported the games a while ago as promised. It's awesome. I won't be lying, I haven't even finished the first playthrough, and knowing myself, I don't think I ever will, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. It really is excellent, and I'm happy to see that it seemingly gets the recognition it deserves.

That's awesome to hear :D! Though you should really try and play through the game if you can find some time :)

Pyrokai

I just wanted to say thanks again, GAF, for opening up a whole new game to me. I never would have even heard of this game if it weren't for GAF. It doesn't help that my local Best Buys, GameStops, Targets, and virtually everywhere aren't carrying the game. I had to order it online. I just ordered it today but I am very excited :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Pyrokai said:
I just wanted to say thanks again, GAF, for opening up a whole new game to me. I never would have even heard of this game if it weren't for GAF. It doesn't help that my local Best Buys, GameStops, Targets, and virtually everywhere aren't carrying the game. I had to order it online. I just ordered it today but I am very excited :)

Can't wait for you to get your 999 on :D!

Top Bottom