• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I'm really hoping its like TWEWY in that its going to take all of the cliche expectations and flaws I'm seeing and completely subvert them.

YES.

Nintendo-4Life said:
No no you didn't get what I was saying, I heard there was an ending that just ends abruptly
which turned out was ending 2
It was that ending that I wanted to avoid at all costs.

I got all the other endings before doing the true ending, and I agree, they really add to the game.

oh, i see. yea, i understand now.

Tricky I Shadow said:
!!!!!

That’s so awesome to hear since I had a problem with that little scene too. It stuck out as really weird/dumb.

Why would they discuss that useless stuff while
freezing to death!?
So good to hear it’ll make sense later! :D

yea, i mentioned this before: the story is really well planned out. so if you have some nagging issues, it will make sense by the time you get to the True ending.

Hylian7

Nintendo-4Life said:
No no you didn't get what I was saying, I heard there was an ending that just ends abruptly
which turned out was ending 2
It was that ending that I wanted to avoid at all costs.

I got all the other endings before doing the true ending, and I agree, they really add to the game.
I think it was better to get that "abrupt" ending before getting the true ending. It made the true ending that much more awesome.

LiK said:
yea, i mentioned this before: the story is really well planned out. so if you have some nagging issues, it will make sense by the time you get the True ending.

Now I don’t wanna get the true ending...yet. Now I’m hoping I get it last so I can have all the possible info before I finish up! This is all too interesting to miss! :lol

ASIS

Hylian7 said:
I think it was better to get that "abrupt" ending before getting the true ending. It made the true ending that much more awesome.
WTF?! Seriously? oh well the game is awesome as it is I guess.. damn..

By the way......has anyone else here noticed that this thread has kind of exploded recently? The positive buzz is spreading like wild fire!

The game has gained so much positive attention! I didn’t even think we’d make it to 999 posts to be honest, and now look at the thread!

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
By the way......has anyone else here noticed that this thread has kind of exploded recently? The positive buzz is spreading like wild fire!

The game has gained so much positive attention! I didn’t even think we’d make it to 999 posts to be honest, and now look at the thread!

definitely, i would like to give my love to the OP for starting this thread. it made me aware of the game. now i can't stop pimpin' it. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tricky I Shadow said:
!!!!!

That’s so awesome to hear since I had a problem with that little scene too. It stuck out as really weird/dumb.

Why would they discuss that useless stuff while
freezing to death!?
So good to hear it’ll make sense later! :D
Well what I'm hoping is that it will make sense in a "why they randomly chose to talk about that in such a situation" way, and not just make sense in a "this special ice is important to the plot, so we had to introduce it early on" way. Or, in a broader sense, I'm hoping that everyone's weird behavior will actually make sense and not just be bad writing.

Omikaru

Thanks for building my hype up, guys. Play-Asia won't be shipping my copy for another two weeks (at the latest), and I expect it'll take 10-14 days to get here after that. This next month is going to kill me...

Akselziys said:
I'm super thrilled that all these new faces and 999 fans are popping up :D!
This has probably been asked, but do you know anything about a UK release? While I'm personally importing it, I know that once I play it and start talking about it, several of my less import-savy friends will be champing at the bit for a release they can buy in local shops. I'd like to at least give them some hope...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Omikaru said:
Thanks for building my hype up, guys. Play-Asia won't be shipping my copy for another two weeks (at the latest), and I expect it'll take 10-14 days to get here after that. This next month is going to kill me...

This has probably been asked, but do you know anything about a UK release? While I'm personally importing it, I know that once I play it and start talking about it, several of my less import-savy friends will be champing at the bit for a release they can buy in local shops. I'd like to at least give them some hope...

Unfortunately we are only responsible for the North American market.

Chunsoft would have to license the game to a European publisher in order for it to be released there :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just finished a first playthrough in one huge sitting :lol very enjoyable but annoying ending, got ending 5. Don't really understand why or where I went wrong so I'm very keen to find out, but will play it through again first. So nice being able to skip the text now!

Will echo other thoughts, the dialogue isn't great, the writing feels purposely exaggerated, its tolerable but I dont think it adds or detracts from the game particularly. A few standout dialogue moments and the characters are well nicely realised.

But (and I suppose its a little unusual in a text-driven game) its the layered story and setting which drives me and the gameplay. My first play hasn't shed much light on the characters, I have inklings and suspicions so I cant say the characters are great and the writing is great, but the prospect of uncovering more is great.

It feels like there is loads of depth there to be discovered and lots of variety in paths and decisions and thats the games selling point. The puzzles aren't amazing or clever, its very number based as opposed to usual adventure fare of creatively solving problems, and its not a sprawling set of evidence matching like AA games but it keeps things ticking over.

The strength is in the delivery and the setting, the mystery around the nonary game and around the characters. Shame I have to go to sleep.

zethren

Banned
I've been looking more and more into this game, and it looks great. I'm going to boot up the demo in a few minutes, but I was wondering one thing: is it still possible to get the replica watch this late in the game? Do you guys still offer a bundle of the game+watch on your website, or just the watch separately? Thanks for any info :)

Durante

The_Technomancer said:
I mean, even off the bat there's a lot of stuff that isn't Chekov's Gun so much as Chekov's Blatant Cannon.
That's a good way to put it.

I was completely captivated by the game's story throughout multiple playthroughs, but I still agree that much of the dialogue is unnatural, and there is a ton of long-winded exposition.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
zethren said:
I've been looking more and more into this game, and it looks great. I'm going to boot up the demo in a few minutes, but I was wondering one thing: is it still possible to get the replica watch this late in the game? Do you guys still offer a bundle of the game+watch on your website, or just the watch separately? Thanks for any info :)

We no longer offer the watch by itself on our online store, but we do offer the 999 game + watch bundle still :)

However, it currently says it's out of stock on our online store due to us being currently sold out of 999. Our re-order should arrive around January 10th or so, after which, we'll be allowing customers to order the bundle once again :D

Hylian7

Akselziys said:
We no longer off the watch by itself on our online store, but we do offer the 999 game + watch bundle still :)

However, it currently says it's out of stock on our online store due to us being currently sold out of 999. Our re-order should arrive around January 10th or so, after which, we'll be allowing customers to order the bundle once again :D
I may have to hit up eBay or something for that watch, I want one of those things badly!

zethren

Banned
Akselziys said:
We no longer off the watch by itself on our online store, but we do offer the 999 game + watch bundle still :)

Well then, sounds like I'm ordering a copy of the bundle around Jan 10th. Thanks for the headsup!

And I'm loving the demo btw, great stuff. :)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
zethren said:
Well then, sounds like I'm ordering a copy of the bundle around Jan 10th. Thanks for the headsup!

And I'm loving the demo btw, great stuff. :)

I like the demo because not only does it show how the game plays, but
it gives you the unique opportunity to play the first room with both Junpei and June :D And some of the conversations in it are pretty funny (which you won't encounter in the first room in the actual game :D )

zethren

Banned
Akselziys said:
it gives you the unique opportunity to play the first room with both Junpei and June :D And some of the conversations in it are pretty funny (which you won't encounter in the first room in the actual game :D )

lol Yeah. I particularly loved the
"Its totally a pot lid." statement when you investigate the lid to the kettle that's on top of the stove. Just the way it was phrased, he seemed so excited to see the lid haha.

I was hoping that the demo would wet my palate and entice me into picking up the game, and it did!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Akselziys said:
What the shit? Didn't know about this!

I don't know how impressed I am with this game. The adventure puzzles are kind of annoying (using a guide to avoid them), and the narrative/dialog reads like it was written for 16 year olds. Only an hour in, so I haven't got to make any plot choices, and it could get better, but so far this is just bad adventure gaming slapped on top of bad fiction.

Just got the true ending.

Amazing game. Amazing. So worth getting all the bad endings first and probably my favorite game played in quite some time.

Dat ass at the very end...
:lol

I hope we continue to see amazing adventure games for the DS/3DS. It's easily my favorite genre and games like this really showcase how great these types of games can be on this platform.

hipgnosis

This game is fantastic. The translation is sublime. I've had 2 different endings so far:
Coffin and Knife.
Now I'm working to get the
safe
ending. Can't wait to get that true ending!

But yeah haven't played a game so well written in ages, really feels like reading a good book.

Hylian7

hipgnosis said:
This game is fantastic. The translation is sublime. I've had 2 different endings so far:
Coffin and Knife.
Now I'm working to get the
safe
ending. Can't wait to get that true ending!

But yeah haven't played a game so well written in ages, really feels like reading a good book.
Did you get the
Coffin
on your first time?! I'm impressed!

JEKKI

whooo! I started playing this game!!

not much of a game tho... so many text >_<

so far I've beaten three puzzle rooms... at least the time between 2nd and 3rd didnt have as much text as after the first one...

Lard

Banned
Okay so I've gotten two more endings

Submarine and Safe endings. The safe ending shows up as the icon of the safe with the piece of paper in it. I don't know if that's the real name for it, but that's what I'm calling it. Ace killed Clover, burned with Snake (who was in the coffin!) in the incinerator and June disappeared suddenly and I was gassed and passed out.

Seriously, wtf is going on? :lol

I have some questions.

When you find the body that is supposed to be Snake - there is LLR written in blood on the wall. Is this significant - Y/N?

Do the endings vary significantly? Or are some of the bad endings (knife/axe) similar?

Lard said:
When you find the body that is supposed to be Snake - there is LLR written in blood on the wall. Is this significant - Y/N?

Do the endings vary significantly? Or are some of the bad endings (knife/axe) similar?
The LLR has significance, but only if you go through door 3.

The knife and axe endings are probably the most similar to each other comparatively, but they are different enough that I think they are worth seeing. (I personally think all the endings should be seen to fully enjoy the game.)

Hylian7

Lard said:
Okay so I've gotten two more endings

Submarine and Safe endings. The safe ending shows up as the icon of the safe with the piece of paper in it. I don't know if that's the real name for it, but that's what I'm calling it. Ace killed Clover, burned with Snake (who was in the coffin!) in the incinerator and June disappeared suddenly and I was gassed and passed out.

Seriously, wtf is going on? :lol

I have some questions.

All of the endings are very different.
Two of them are sort of the same, but once you get those two, you'll see what I mean (I'm not talking about the knife and axe endings, although the axe ending pretty damn well explains the knife ending)

Hylian7 said:
Two of them are sort of the same, but once you get those two, you'll see what I mean
*Ending Gameplay Mechanic Spoilers*
He can't get one of those endings by itself anymore since he already saw the Safe ending.

Hylian7 said:
although the axe ending pretty damn well explains the knife ending
?

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
It pretty much implies that Ace killed Lotus and Junpei in the Knife ending. Right before Clover came back, Ace wanted to "Show Lotus something", and they went off together. Junpei wasn't supposed to discover Lotus's body in the knife ending, so Ace stabbed him too. As to why Ace would kill Lotus, it's probably because he didn't want her to find out the truth about what happened to her daughter Nona 9 years ago, so he had to cover his own ass. Clover probably went missing in that ending either because Ace killed her as in the safe ending, or she for some reason didn't grab the axe and went back to get it, or was waiting to kill Santa and Seven with the axe.

Hylian7 said:
It pretty much implies that Ace killed Lotus and Junpei in the Knife ending. Right before Clover came back, Ace wanted to "Show Lotus something", and they went off together. Junpei wasn't supposed to discover Lotus's body in the knife ending, so Ace stabbed him too. As to why Ace would kill Lotus, it's probably because he didn't want her to find out the truth about what happened to her daughter Nona 9 years ago, so he had to cover his own ass. Clover probably went missing in that ending either because Ace killed her as in the safe ending, or she for some reason didn't grab the axe and went back to get it, or was waiting to kill Santa and Seven with the axe.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were implying it was Clover who killed Junpei in the Knife ending. Yeah, Ace almost certainly killed Lotus in the Knife ending, but it wasn't to cover his back about Nona, (he didn't know she was Nona's mother), it was for her bracelet. Junpei even notices that Lotus's bracelet was gone and speculates that the killer would be the person who would have the most to gain from taking it. Since Ace already had the 9th Man's bracelet, all he would need to escape (assuming that it was a true 9 door) was Lotus's 8 bracelet.

Hylian7

Gunloc said:
Oh, sorry, I thought you were implying it was Clover who killed Junpei in the Knife ending. Yeah, Ace almost certainly killed Lotus in the Knife ending, but it wasn't to cover his back about Nona, (he didn't know she was Nona's mother), it was for her bracelet. Junpei even notices that Lotus's bracelet was gone and speculates that the killer would be the person who would have the most to gain from taking it. Since Ace already had the 9th Man's bracelet, all he would need to escape (assuming that it was a true 9 door) was Lotus's 8 bracelet.
I forgot about Lotus's missing bracelet. I only saw that ending once and it was my first time through.

Hylian7

Lard said:
Two more playthroughs, two repeated endings. :(

I may start having to use a walkthrough, which is irritating.
If you want to avoid doing that, think about what you've seen in previous playthroughs and make a plan that you think will get you something else. That worked for me.

The biggest thing to think about is the doors Junpei goes through, but there are other things to think about as well, some seeming fairly obvious.

Which endings do you have so far?

Hylian7

Lard said:
I have four

Axe, knife, safe and submarine
Yep, you definitely need to think about what you've already done and make a plan for your next playthrough, if you want to avoid using a guide. If you want, I'll tell you what you should do next run.

Fair warning, there is one ending you won't see, but once you get the next ending, I can tell you what happened in that ending.

Top Bottom