• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

LiK

wrowa said:
Is Ever17 worth playing? Or rather worth searching for, since it seems to be out of print. It's written by the same writer who also wrote 999, but the artwork actually looks too cliche animu for my taste. How is the story? Is the translation worthwile?

I WANT THAT GAME SO BAD. heard it's awesome but the English port is OOP and the publisher is dead. i might need to get it 'another' way. wish Aksys localized it.

LiK

Akselziys said:
I need to play it myself too :)

And ironically enough, the opening for the PSP version looks pretty similar to the opening of 999
but with more water!
:lol

yea, the PSP is easily available but all Japanese, not even an Asian version with English exists. ME SO SAD.

Nekobo

I was actually selling a sealed copy of Ever 17 a few months ago on the Buy/Sell thread for like $40, but I had no takers.

I wound up selling it for like 3x the price I bought it for on amazon. :x

I got the
Submarine ending. Now the song Yellow Submarine is stuck in my head. :x

LiK

Nekobo said:
I was actually selling a sealed copy of Ever 17 a few months ago on the Buy/Sell thread for like $40, but I had no takers.

;_;

wrowa

Nekobo said:

Wow, right now someone sells it for super cheap 200USD on Amazon. Maybe it's not really worth looking for after all... But 999 wasn't enough, I need more! :(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
wrowa said:
Wow, right now someone sells it for super cheap 200USD on Amazon. Maybe it's not really worth looking for after all... But 999 wasn't enough, I need more! :(

Well, a new entry in the Infinity series, Code 18, is coming out via Cyberfront this Spring in Japan ;)

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/05/new_x360_infinity/

http://www.cyberfront.co.jp/title/code_18/

It's not Uchikoshi though XD;

Lard said:
Get Theresia and Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past

Fixed! :D

Nekobo

Haha I wouldn't be surprised if the person who bought my copy happened to one of those sellers. I sold my copy a minute after I posted it.

I bought my copies from JList last year. They had a box full of them at Anime Expo 2009. The guy in charge (Peter Payne I think) was like "this is all we have left." He was selling them for $25 a pop, but no one bought them. :x

I have no idea who owns the rights to the game now, but maybe you guys can try e-mailing him about a possible reprint? He might know something since his company continued to sell Hirameki's catalog after they closed down.

JEKKI

I ended up broking my new years resolution again...

slept at 1 last nite :(

man... bad habits are hard to break, but I swear I will beat this game today!!!!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Nekobo said:
So confirmation that Aksys will be localizing these games? :eek:

Haha, unfortunately no.

One of my past times is being on the forefront of the latest gaming news from Japan :lol

Luckily being in the industry also makes you privy to other upcoming info, like... @*%$ *shot*

JEKKI said:
I ended up broking my new years resolution again...

slept at 1 last nite :(

man... bad habits are hard to break, but I swear I will beat this game today!!!!

I'm excited for you to get to the end and then being able to talk about it :D!

Takuhi

I've been playing the PSP version of Uchikoshi's 12Riven ~ The Ψ Climinal of Integral, which is the last game he did before 999.

It really cements in my mind what a great writer he is. It's a sci-fi mystery (much less of a "thriller" than 999) and the plot has a few similarities to the Stephen King story "The Langoliers." But unlike Stephen King, Uchikoshi works out the physics of the game's sci-fi elements (to my satisfaction, at least) and explains them at great detail, which is really what I love about him. Unlike mainstream writers who are like "hey, the details of how the sci-fi elements work and the logistics of the villains' plans and whatnot... That's besides the point. It's about the characters and their journey." Uchikoshi exposes that for the bullshit copout that it is. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if there are gaping plot holes, but there have been lots of times where I've felt "this twist is ridiculous" and then two hours later: a full and satisfying explanation.

However, his tendency to overexplain everything can make for a really slow read. This is obviously typical of the genre, but I think Uchikoshi is particularly detail-oriented and 999 really benefited from both the faster pacing of having a story with an urgent time limit and having puzzle scenes that break up the conversation.

Having the dialogue be fully voiced is great, though. It really brings the characters to life.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Takuhi said:
I've been playing the PSP version of Uchikoshi's 12Riven ~ The Ψ Climinal of Integral, which is the last game he did before 999.

It really cements in my mind what a great writer he is. It's a sci-fi mystery (much less of a "thriller" than 999) and the plot has a few similarities to the Stephen King story "The Langoliers." But unlike Stephen King, Uchikoshi works out the physics of the game's sci-fi elements (to my satisfaction, at least) and explains them at great detail, which is really what I love about him. Unlike mainstream writers who are like "hey, the details of how the sci-fi elements work and the logistics of the villains' plans and whatnot... That's besides the point. It's about the characters and their journey." Uchikoshi exposes that for the bullshit copout that it is. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if there are gaping plot holes, but there have been lots of times where I've felt "this twist is ridiculous" and then two hours later: a full and satisfying explanation.

However, his tendency to overexplain everything can make for a really slow read. This is obviously typical of the genre, but I think Uchikoshi is particularly detail-oriented and 999 really benefited from both the faster pacing of having a story with an urgent time limit and having puzzle scenes that break up the conversation.

Having the dialogue be fully voiced is great, though. It really brings the characters to life.

Now I want to play that ;-;

So I have 3 endings:
Submarine, Knife and Coffin.

Now since I didn’t want to keep getting the same endings, I know that I still have
the Axe, Safe and True Ending left.
And I know that I need to get
the Safe Ending first to get the True Ending.

I haven’t done it yet....but I’m assuming that to get the
Axe ending you go into door 1 without giving Clover the bookmark.
But I have zero idea how to get
the Safe Ending.
Any hints for me?

Takuhi

Akselziys said:
Unfortunately not that ;-;

Let's do it! You'll produce, I'll translate, Tuesday will edit, we'll cast GAFfers for the voices. The whole thing shouldn't take me more than, um, a couple years or so... Then we launch in early 2013 at the very peak of the PSP's market viability!

AniHawk

Tricky I Shadow said:
So I have 3 endings:
Submarine, Knife and Coffin.

Now since I didn’t want to keep getting the same endings, I know that I still have
the Axe, Safe and True Ending left.
And I know that I need to get
the Safe Ending first to get the True Ending.

I haven’t done it yet....but I’m assuming that to get the
Axe ending you go into door 1 without giving Clover the bookmark.
But I have zero idea how to get
the Safe Ending.
Any hints for me?

One of the rooms has a safe that you can't open. Also, you're going to want to talk with Santa.

AniHawk said:
One of the rooms has a safe that you can't open. Also, you're going to want to talk with Santa.

I thought the
Safe Ending was them getting of the ship! Not an actual Safe! :lol So a Safe that can't be opened, and talk to Santa?
Got ya! Hmmmm....

With just a 'yes' or 'no', in the
Steam Room I touched some metal stairs and Santa said something like "get Clover in here!"
Does that get explained?

AniHawk

Tricky I Shadow said:
Steam Room I touched some metal stairs and Santa said something like "get Clover in here!"
Does that get explained?

I don't remember, sorry.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I thought the
Safe Ending was them getting of the ship! Not an actual Safe! :lol So a Safe that can't be opened, and talk to Santa?
Got ya! Hmmmm....

Does that get explained?

Santa is referring to Clover walking up the stairs because staring right from below at that spot is the perfect voyeuristic spot to check up her skirt :lol

There should be more text where Santa talks about the angle and stuff being perfect or something :lol It's an inferred joke :)

AniHawk

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is the "afraid of being in an elevator with a boy" choice. Man, it just kept going. Funniest thing in the game for me.

Akselziys said:
Santa is referring to Clover walking up the stairs because staring right from below at that spot is the perfect voyeuristic spot to check up her skirt :lol

There should be more text where Santa talks about the angle and stuff being perfect or something :lol It's an inferred joke :)

Oh ok! I thought it was actually a key plot point! :lol

LiK

AniHawk said:
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is the "afraid of being in an elevator with a boy" choice. Man, it just kept going. Funniest thing in the game for me.

that and the frozen chicken dialogue was the best thing ever.

Not exactly word for word, but:

Lotus: "Hmm, what could this oil be for?"

Santa: "Maybe we can use in on your face to even up some of your wrinkles."

Lotus: "How about I put it on your face and light it on fire!"

That made me chuckle. The game has tons of stuff that are genuinely funny.

LiK

Tricky I Shadow said:
Not exactly word for word, but:

Lotus: "Hmm, what could this oil be for?"

Santa: "Maybe we can use in on your face to even up some of your wrinkles."

Lotus: "How about I put it on your face and light it on fire!"

That made me chuckle. The game has tons of stuff that are genuinely funny.

Santa is so mean to Lotus. she's hot to me. :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tricky I Shadow said:
I like Lotus a lot. Her and Junpei are probably my favourites...

How about everyone else? Who are your favourite characters?
Definitely Seven. The more I learned about him the more I began to respect him.

Ferrio

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Definitely Seven. The more I learned about him the more I began to respect him.

Seven is indeed the best, stupid Japanese poll. Maybe he was portrayed badly in the original text?

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
I'll be really curious to (hopefully) see if this preforms well in the US. Well, "performs well" by the standards of something as niche as this.

EDIT: *sigh* Thank you Anihawk

No, you did it twice.

For people who have all the endings. Did you just randomly go into different combinations of doors and get them all, or did you some how know what you were doing? Or is it simply trail and error?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tricky I Shadow said:
For people who have all the endings. Did you just randomly go into different combinations of doors and get them all, or did you some how know what you were doing? Or is it simply trail and error?
I wrote up a simple flowchart that went over all the possibilities and systematically went through them. And I operated on the assumption that (this isn't really a spoiler unless you haven't even played the game yet)
door 3 always led to the same result
. Seemed a safe assumption to make.

LiK said:
holy shit, i just noticed the red dude popping up in your avatar!
Haha, do you know where its from?

LiK

The_Technomancer said:
I wrote up a simple flowchart that went over all the possibilities and systematically went through them.

holy shit, i just noticed the red dude popping up in your avatar!

Nishastra

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
I bumbled around at first, just picking doors I hadn't tried before, but once I got a few endings I started trying to correct what seemed like mistakes in those endings, and they led me to the other endings.

Specifically, when I got the
safe ending
, I decided that I needed to
stick close to Clover
next time. That led me to
the axe
, as I picked the wrong initial rooms. From that I learned that I had to do a bit more than
just stick close to Clover, and tried to connect with her by way of the bookmark that I had never found a use for before. It worked, and I went on to the true end :p

tokkun

Tricky I Shadow said:

There are two endings that are somewhat difficult to get. Once you get one of them, it will give you a little video preview at the end that gives you hints on how to get the other one.

Thanks for clearing that up guys! I think I was focusing too much on the
actual numbers on the doors instead of what actually happens in them.....

I thought by
adding up the numbers in certain combinations would actually mean something, and get me further. I guess the numbers mean little?

Nishastra

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Thanks for clearing that up guys! I think I was focusing too much on the
actual numbers on the doors instead of what actually happens in them.....

I thought by
adding up the numbers in certain combinations would actually mean something, and get me further. I guess the numbers mean little?
I don't think there's any real significance to the door numbers aside from who can go in them.

Yes, it's definitely what happens in them that matters. You need to take certain paths where Junpei learns certain things and then also has a chance to make use of what he's learned.

Top Bottom