• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Korigama

I'd recommend seeing all of the other endings before going for the true end (the experience isn't really complete otherwise, as they all manage to fill in the gaps in their own way). Either way, try to save the
safe ending
for second to last.

Omikaru

So I finally started this the other day (loooong after my import arrived back in January) and this game is amazing. Thanks to all on GAF for recommending it back in December.

Anyhow, I've beaten it once (I got the ending with the
banging on the coffin
) and I have a question: the main menu now offers me to "continue" or "begin with memories". Both take me to the opening of the game. What's the difference?

And does anyone have any advice about what ending I should aim for next? I want to get all of them before I go for the true one (any hints on unlocking that one would be helpful too), but are there any in particular I should go for next, or in a specific order?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Omikaru said:
So I finally started this the other day (loooong after my import arrived back in January) and this game is amazing. Thanks to all on GAF for recommending it back in December.

banging on the coffin
) and I have a question: the main menu now offers me to "continue" or "begin with memories". Both take me to the opening of the game. What's the difference?

And does anyone have any advice about what ending I should aim for next? I want to get all of them before I go for the true one (any hints on unlocking that one would be helpful too), but are there any in particular I should go for next, or in a specific order?
I would recommend you discover the endings on your own since that's part of the fun, but i will say that you already know how to unlock the true ending... you'll understand what I mean as you unlock a few more endings.

Read on if you want to know more hints.

The coffin ending is essentially the true ending cut way short.
To unlock the true ending you'll need to unlock the
safe
ending, first. After that, well, based on my first statement, you should know what needs to be done to access the true ending. :)

I would recommend you unlock the other 3 endings...

There are basically three endings which correspond to a particular
path through
the doors, and the other three endings correspond to
a particular door, for any other path.

The three endings I recommend you unlock are part of the latter set.

GaimeGuy

also, "begin with memories" is basically "start new game." After you beat a game and have cleared save data though, continue will just start you from the begining, so, essentially, "begin with memories" and "continue" are one and the same immediately after you complete an ending. It's just new game and continue.

Omikaru said:

banging on the coffin

I've never had to use "Begin with Memories", but apparently that's generally used for when you want to restart a current playthrough with memories intact. When you've just beat the game however, both options do the same thing, I usually opt for "Continue".

I'd recommend going for the
Safe
ending as the second to last one, before tackling the True ending. Otherwise, I can't think of any particular order. To unlock the True ending (and check out how to obtain the other endings), you should look up the "Story Flowchart (PNG)" guide at GameFAQs.

If that guide isn't clear, you need to...

Beat the Safe ending first, go through doors 4, 7, 1 in that order (same as Coffin).

In door 4, make sure to take the bookmark from Santa and listen to the Ice-9 conversation in the freezer.

In door 7, given the bookmark to Clover and listen to Seven's conversation about Allice in the room with the coloured fluids (you need to give him the correct prompt to trigger this conversation, it should be fairly obvious which one, if not then Save and check).

Finally, in door 1, trigger the conversation about Zero in the room with Zero's corpse. I don't know if it's possible to miss this.

EDIT

I completely failed to realise
the Coffin ending is the True ending cut short. So if you know how to get the Coffin ending, you should be able to get the True ending just fine

GaimeGuy

Aveyn Knight said:
EDIT

I completely failed to realise
the Coffin ending is the True ending cut short. So if you know how to get the Coffin ending, you should be able to get the True ending just fine
yeah, I think you automatically
get the coffin ending if you go for the true ending without completing the safe ending

Which brings up an interesting question I'd like someone from aksys to answer if they can (or someone who has played through and gotten all six endings, as I have...)

What happens if you unlock the safe ending before the coffin ending? do you just lose the opportunity to get the coffin ending, and always get the true ending?

Omikaru

Okay, thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll play it blind once or twice more, just doing things I didn't do the previous time, and if I haven't accidentally stumbled upon it, go for the
safe ending
with the aid of the GameFAQs Story Flowchart.

I'd just like to reiterate that it's a fantastic game. Seriously awesome.

GaimeGuy

Omikaru said:
Okay, thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll play it blind once or twice more, just doing things I didn't do the previous time, and if I haven't accidentally stumbled upon it, go for the
safe ending
with the aid of the GameFAQs Story Flowchart.

I'd just like to reiterate that it's a fantastic game. Seriously awesome.
You should be able to figure out how to reach the endings on your own, but let me tell you how to get the safe ending, story free. Yo ucan refere to this instead of gamefaqs if/when you decide to cheat :D

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I Wonder What You Are.
Go through doors eight six and five.
The safe ending you will find.
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
How I wonder what you are.

(I included filler text :p)

But seroiusly, I would recommend you have the other 4 endings complete first :)

I beat it a couple days ago I got the
knife ending
. That kinda came out of nowhere but It makes me want to run through it again. One question though,
All the talk about the mummy, ice-9, hidden fields of communication, does that get addressed in the other endings? It was all interesting stuff but none of it got any closure in the ending I got.

GaimeGuy said:
What happens if you unlock the safe ending before the coffin ending? do you just lose the opportunity to get the coffin ending, and always get the true ending?

lol I did that without knowing what the hell is going on... when you finish the
true ending/ coffin ending after the safe ending
both endings' icons are uncovered. In other words i never did the
coffin ending
but it was still uncovered when i did the related one.

I didnt do the
axe ending
is there any frigging ending that will help me understand why there was a
naked mummy in the desert at the end of true ending

Edit: TLDR; i did all the endings but one and still dont understand some things :(
Edit 2" Well it is really one thing and I can live with it being sorta weird.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bobbychalkers said:
I beat it a couple days ago
Finishing the game and getting an ending isn't truly beating it - you won't beat the game til you get the true ending. Getting the various endings uncovers more of the overall storyline, and getting the true ending will put all of it together.

Belisarius

Neo Member
bobbychalkers said:
One question though,
All the talk about the mummy, ice-9, hidden fields of communication, does that get addressed in the other endings? It was all interesting stuff but none of it got any closure in the ending I got.

Ohohohohohohohohohoho

Just you wait. :3

Mashing

Well crap, I think i ended up getting the
Safe
ending on my first play through (man, it got intense toward the end of that). It sure beat the hell out of my second playthrough:
submarine

I got stuck on the first puzzle
figuring out how to use the numbers on the briefcases after getting the keys and the slip of paper with the symbols

I'm rage quitting because it keeps on repeating the tutorial stuff and the dialogue after over and over. Does it do this throughout the game? It takes twice as long to advance the dialogue than it does to try out a combination! One would think that the devs of a text-heavy game like this would consider such an obviously annoying thing. I was really intrigued by the story though, so I don't want to quit...

Ferrio

Banned
Smision said:
figuring out how to use the numbers on the briefcases after getting the keys and the slip of paper with the symbols

I'm rage quitting because it keeps on repeating the tutorial stuff and the dialogue after over and over. Does it do this throughout the game? It takes twice as long to advance the dialogue than it does to try out a combination! I was really intrigued by the story though, so I don't want to quit...

Make sure you've check everything in the room.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Smision said:

I'm rage quitting because it keeps on repeating the tutorial stuff and the dialogue after over and over. Does it do this throughout the game? It takes twice as long to advance the dialogue than it does to try out a combination! One would think that the devs of a text-heavy game like this would consider such an obviously annoying thing. I was really intrigued by the story though, so I don't want to quit...
The first room is truly dreadful the first time through because if the god-awful tutorial text. This isn't a problem with the rest of the game. It pops up occasionally but it's infrequent and nowhere near as offensive as the first room.

matmanx1

AniHawk said:
the post count is creeping up on the vanquish thread's, which i find hilarious.

To be totally fair Vanquish was a brilliant shooter in a market full of good shooters (at least in the US and Europe) while 999 is a visual novel in a market of almost none. And it helps that 999 happens to be pretty darn good as well!

I'm well on my way to my 2nd ending. I think I am going
Submarine
this time even though I don't know what that really means. Just that it isnt
Safe or True
because I am saving those for last.

Omikaru

I accidentally got the
safe ending
on my third playthrough. Before that, I got the
submarine ending
, which was really miserable.

Really digging this game, but I'm going to use that GameFAQs chart now to work out how to get the other endings, before moving on to finish it all properly.

Edit: Holy crap, just unlocked the
axe ending. Man, Clover is a fucking psycho
!

GaimeGuy

Omikaru said:
I accidentally got the
safe ending
on my third playthrough. Before that, I got the
submarine ending
, which was really miserable.

Really digging this game, but I'm going to use that GameFAQs chart now to work out how to get the other endings, before moving on to finish it all properly.

Edit: Holy crap, just unlocked the
axe ending. Man, Clover is a fucking psycho
!
am i the only person who found the endings on his own?

I mean this is basically my first visual novel but even I could realize how to sabotage my path through the game the first time through.

XiaNaphryz

Omikaru said:
Holy crap
SFEFU.gif

matmanx1

GaimeGuy said:

I mean this is basically my first visual novel but even I could realize how to sabotage my path through the game the first time through.

It's totally a lack of patience on my part. I want to get all the story bits but I don't want to waste time being experimental with my choices outside of my first playthrough, which was totally spontaneous. It doesn't help that I have a large backlog peeking over my shoulder either! Too many great games, too little time!

Korigama

GaimeGuy said:

I also found the endings unassisted (getting to the
safe
ending was the closest I came to cracking, but I figured that out myself as well).

Omikaru

Just beat the
true ending
now, and wow. That was incredible. I kind of predicted parts of the twist, but not the whole thing.
The one thing I'm disappointed about is that Allice wasn't used as much, except for that corny bit at the end. I was kind of expecting her to play a bigger role, but eh, whatever.

The one thing that did surprise me was
Akane/June's ability to pull the wool of Junpei's eyes. She had him hook, line and sinker. And considering the way she treated all the unwilling participants, it kind of sucks that she effectively got away with it all. I doubt they'll see her or Santa again.

All that said, it was a fantastic game. Glad I imported it. Shame it probably won't get a European release, as I have a few friends who really want to play this. I guess I'll just lend them my cart, since they're not comfortable with importing. :(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Omikaru said:
Just beat the
true ending
now, and wow. That was incredible. I kind of predicted parts of the twist, but not the whole thing.
The one thing I'm disappointed about is that Allice wasn't used as much, except for that corny bit at the end. I was kind of expecting her to play a bigger role, but eh, whatever.

The one thing that did surprise me was
Akane/June's ability to pull the wool of Junpei's eyes. She had him hook, line and sinker. And considering the way she treated all the unwilling participants, it kind of sucks that she effectively got away with it all. I doubt they'll see her or Santa again.

All that said, it was a fantastic game. Glad I imported it. Shame it probably won't get a European release, as I have a few friends who really want to play this. I guess I'll just lend them my cart, since they're not comfortable with importing. :(

Now off to the spoilers thread and for you to read The Answers ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417566

matmanx1

I'm really digging the exposition after picking door number
. It really has some nice backstory for the MC and his relationship to a certain other member of the game.

Also, that same door and it's lead-up and follow through scenario are just gut wrenching. I could never be "that guy" but reading about it was gripping.

I finally found a copy of this game after so many months of searching and all I could say is WOW!

Reading about people hyping it is one thing, and being able to actually play it is MUCH BETTER, WAY WAAAAAY BETTER!

Despite the slow text speed, I can't put this game down. Mad Props to the dev and publisher.

matmanx1

Well I finished another ending last night. It was the
Submarine
ending and boy was it disturbing! No pulling of any punches in this game, that's for sure. The amount of story exposition was vastly improved over my first ending, however. So many new clues and story bits are revealed that I sat for a good long while after I had put the DS down just mulling them over and trying to guess what they all might mean. I love stuff like that!

Clevinger

OK. I've done the
axe
and
knife
endings. Would I be missing out on something if I skipped the
submarine
ending and went for the
safe, then the true ending
? Thanks.

Clevinger said:
OK. I've done the
axe
and
knife
submarine
ending and went for the
? Thanks.

The
submarine
ending is really interesting in a variety of ways, and might make you come up with a theory or two that you wouldn't have otherwise. I wouldn't say it's completely essential before the other two, but if you can stomach it I would go for it. Otherwise, there's a good chance you might want to try it out once you get the other endings.

Basically, when you get the
safe and true
endings it will cast a new light on the ones you've seen before. so if you've seen more endings before, the more powerful that light will seem to be.

Nishastra

Banned
Clevinger said:
OK. I've done the
axe
and
knife
submarine
ending and went for the
? Thanks.
Hmm. I'd say yes, because there's one room that you only enter in
the submarine ending
, and there's a good deal to be learned in it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just beat this game. I won't waste time with story stuff, as that seems to be well covered. Just the following.

Holy.

Shit!!!

This was amazing. Bought it this weekend on a whim, and powerplayed the fucker and got all of the endings. The DS seems the be the only system this generation where I get a game and I just can't put it the fuck down for days (see Ace Attorney and Professor Layton). Jesus Christ this was amazing!! ^_^

RurouniZel said:
Jesus Christ this was amazing!! ^_^

Glad you liked it so much.

I finished the game quite a while ago but I still sometimes reminisce about how amazing it was.

It's definitely one of the most memorable, absorbing games from this gen. A true standout! <3

Woooowowow, been powering through this one this past week and went through all the endings. Really incredible stuff, one of the best stories in a game I've ever experienced. Much respect to the job that Aksys did with the localization.

I WANT ANOTHER GAME LIKE THIS FOR THE DS. Anything out there currently?

I am (still) slightly frustrated that I missed out on the preorder watch. Argh. I preordered from GameStop months before release only to pick it up and be told that ONLINE GameStop orders received the watch. And now they're on eBay for $50+. I would totally WEAR ONE now!

Been playing this for the past couple days. And I just beat the game.

This is my first real text adventure game. The only other mystery type games I've played are Phoenix Wright and beside that Professor Layton and Ghost Trick which I bought with 999 a couple weeks ago but did'nt start playing them because I waited for the 3DS since it tracks playtime.

Anywayz I got the ending on the right of the save file
Where everyone dies. When I walked back to the..erm central room (I'm not good at remembering room names) and Clover' Ace and Santa was there I was for sure the June was the muderer (Trust noone) but then she died to. Then Lotus and Seven (Seven's my fave so far) was dead after getting up from June's body and then you get stabbed D: well guess his means none of the 9 players are zero/murderers. I guess for my next ending I'll just do the oppasite of everything I chose to see what happens. Then after that I'll look online to see a very non spoilery way of choosing the other different endings.

Really great game so far. I am deffinitly going to get all the endings!

Playtime so far: 6:32 Now onto the next ending!

XiaNaphryz

malfcn said:
Played through once and got a certain ending. It was cool, but didn't grip me like kung-fu.
After a couple endings, you will be frothing at the mouth for the true ending!

yophlow

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
After a couple endings, you will be really annoyed that you're forced to play the game multiple times, skipping text and ruining the pacing when it could have been one tight, exciting and kickass experience!

Yeah, that :)

I love 999, but this annoyed me.

matmanx1

Got the
safe
ending today and while it gave TONS of story details it almost raised as many questions as it answered. I almost immediately started work on trying to get the real and true ending but I won't be able to finish it up until tomorrow and it's going to eat at me until I get it done. One thing if for sure though, the story continues to be awesome!

Jintor

HalfbrickPhil said:
Yeah, that :)

I love 999, but this annoyed me.

Fast-forwarding is so... fast... that it didn't bother me at all.

I'm not sure how you could have the revelations in the true path have the same impact without playing through the game multiple times

Instro

GaimeGuy said:

I found all the endings without assistance, I never really saw the need to bother with a guide. I was enjoying getting the endings on my own anyway, and once you've gotten either the
coffin or safe
ending it basically tells you what you need to do next to advance.

Only reason I would recommend a guide is if you've already entered at least all the doors 1-9 on your playthroughs and cant figure out what to do next to get your next ending.

I don't know, skipping the two minute chunk in the beginning could be tedious, going through a room you've already gone through and having to re-figure out all the puzzles was a chore, and exploring different rooms only to end up getting an ending you've already gotten are all a slog, but all of those are worth it for the (spoilers just to be safe)
ingenuous way they were all tied with the story.

The one complain I feel justified in making is there being no in-game notebook for some of the hairier puzzles, but I guess the 3DS makes that redundant. Thinking back on the games from the first quarter of this year, this still stands out quite a bit to me, and I'm glad that this thread is still so active and people are still finding and enjoying copies even now.

Wish that was also the case for for the Ghost Trick thread...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've been dying to pick this up, and now that I have my 3DS and the newness has worn off, this has got to be next pick-up. :)

Any idea who has this for the cheapest price? I believe Gamestop has it for $24.99.

Top Bottom