• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

kuYuri

Just got my copy from Amazon. Took longer than expected to arrive despite me having Prime. Was quite the fluke.

MTCdm.jpg

Just got this a couple of days ago and got my first ending, getting the
bad/axe
ending (I thought I made good choices). So far, this game seems really underwhelming from all the positive hype I've heard, but I am aware that I
got the bad ending
, so perhaps there's a whole lot more that I haven't seen (for example, I was led to believe that
I'd learn a lot about characters' pasts,
when I've seen nada of that.)

So, for getting different endings, is there any suggestions of what to do or not to do so as not to waste a huge amount of time just to get the same ending?

Kurashima said:
bad/axe
ending (I thought I made good choices). So far, this game seems really underwhelming from all the positive hype I've heard, but I am aware that I
got the bad ending
, so perhaps there's a whole lot more that I haven't seen (for example, I was led to believe that

So, for getting different endings, is there any suggestions of what to do or not to do so as not to waste a huge amount of time just to get the same ending?

If you don't get a sort-of-decent ending, which ending you get is largely dependent on which door you go through at the last choice, so start there. The better endings require a little more planning, and you should stumble on some clues for them while getting the worst ones.

Kurashima said:
bad/axe
got the bad ending

You've gotten one ending out of six. Have some patience.

EDIT: And it's not just a matter of "Oh, a new end cutscene". You'll stumble across significant content (ex. character revelations/development, clues, new rooms and puzzles and more) with each successive playthrough.

Kurashima said:
bad/axe
got the bad ending

Keep at it. Do different doors, and then once you have about three of them you should be able to figure out the correct path. There's a spoiler-free walkthrough on gamefaqs that you can use otherwise.

That said, yes, it's not just ending cutscenes that change. A LOT of stuff changes, and some paths (like the ending you got) are like half the length of some of the longer pathways.

Thanks for the advice all! Glad to hear that at least at first, going through different doors seems to make a lot of difference. I'll focus on the subtleties later. Would rather not look through a guide, so that's why I though to ask here first.

Clevinger

Kurashima said:
bad/axe
got the bad ending

I just beat all the endings. On the one hand, the story is pretty great. The ending you got barely scratches the surface. Unfortunately, to get the whole picture, you have to beat the game four more times. Or to get the bare minimum 'whole picture', two more. Also, it would be pretty un-fun and time consuming to have to figure out all the choices that get certain endings, so I used a walkthrough on each playthrough after my first. Of course, that takes all the joy out of the gameplay parts. But I think it would have been even more joyless if I went through and didn't do something right, so I had to start over. Plus, it made things to a lot quicker.

Thankfully, there's that text speed up, plus it skips through movies. Unfortunately, it doesn't let you skip puzzles you already did, so get ready to do certain puzzles three or four times.

I guess you just have to decide if it seems intriguing enough to invest the time to beat it at least two more times. I was pretty enthralled after I got the ending you did, eager to learn more, but it doesn't sound like you were impressed at all, so I don't know if I'd recommend it. By the end of it, I was sick of it and didn't want to devote another minute, but was glad I bared the tedium, because most of the story is pretty fantastic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Clevinger said:
so I used a walkthrough on each playthrough after my first
I don't understand this. If people at least go through doors they have yet to go through at the very least, you're practically guaranteed to get a couple different endings just from that. Once you go through that, I can understand using the flowchart.

Kurashima said:
Thanks for the advice all! Glad to hear that at least at first, going through different doors seems to make a lot of difference. I'll focus on the subtleties later. Would rather not look through a guide, so that's why I though to ask here first.

I'd recommend using a guide (that simply names the order of doors to go through for the endings) in all honesty. It's not cheating yourself because the difficulty of the game doesn't lie in what doors you decide to choose, but the puzzles you're solving behind those doors. It'll be a much more rewarding, much less frustrating experience all told.

Clevinger

XiaNaphryz said:
I don't understand this. If people at least go through doors they have yet to go through at the very least, you're practically guaranteed to get a couple different endings just from that. Once you go through that, I can understand using the flowchart.

For me, it's way too much of a time commitment to try it that way.

shadyspace said:
I'd recommend using a guide (that simply names the order of doors to go through for the endings) in all honesty.

He should probably know that there are some dialogue choices that effects the most important ending.

Clevinger

Jintor said:
It's too much of a time commitment to use a notepad and write down the doors you've entered? D:

I didn't know what effected the endings. It could have been doors + dialogue choices + puzzles, for all I knew.

Jintor

Puzzles had only one possible answer. The other two were binary (or tertiary) choices that varied, like, very little. Still, it doesn't really matter.

Clott

I completely understand, I have owned the game for now 2 weeks and are about 1 hour into it, I make about 5 minute gain here and there, after I finish it the first time I am heading straight for a guide. With the limited play time I have I like to use it really well, there is so much to play in my backlog.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Clott said:
I completely understand, I have owned the game for now 2 weeks and are about 1 hour into it, I make about 5 minute gain here and there, after I finish it the first time I am heading straight for a guide. With the limited play time I have I like to use it really well, there is so much to play in my backlog.
If you really can't figure out how to put aside time to playthrough the game, maybe this isn't the game for you considering so much of it is about the experience going through the different paths and seeing it all come together in the true ending.

Go back to it when you feel more comfortable with your backlog situation. In my experience, you will ALWAYS have a backlog, so it's all about priority. If something else needs to be played first, don't compromise a different game "just to get it out of the way," come back to it when you can give it proper attention.

Mashing

So I finished the game last night and got the
true ending
, but there is something that bothers me.
Alice and Ice-9--other than the fact that even inanimate objects can access the morphogentic field--make no sense. Especially Alice. She just seems to be there to explain the Ice-9 phenomena, but she's there at the end in the desert so she has to have some other importance

Omikaru

Mashing said:
So I finished the game last night and got the
true ending
, but there is something that bothers me.
Alice and Ice-9--other than the fact that even inanimate objects can access the morphogentic field--make no sense. Especially Alice. She just seems to be there to explain the Ice-9 phenomena, but she's there at the end in the desert so she has to have some other importance
You might want to check out the spoilers thread (warning, unmarked spoilers here), and also check out The Answers tab on the game's official site, which contains a lengthy Q&A which answers pretty much every question you may have.

I'll reiterate that there's a major spoiler warning for both of these links. You've been warned! :)

matmanx1

Also finished this one last night and my mind was blown. What a fun and fantastic little game. The cartridge literally did not leave my DS from the time I acquired the game until I'd gotten the True ending and I stayed up until midnight last night to finish it up.

Loved it!

I beat all 5 Endings (Well five for me anywayz since I did'nt go for the cut off ending) and just wanted to say this games has pretty much the best story in any videogame I've played. (Which I have'nt played alot of story games but still...)

I'll probably post in the spoiler threads my thoughhts of the ending sooner or later. But the twist at the end deffinitly blew my mind. :)

I just wanted to post my play stats. Playing on a 3DS is awsome because I love keeping track of these stats.

Started Playing: April 8th 2011
Ending 1:
Submarine
Playtime: 6:32
Times Played: 7
Beat it on 4/11

Ending #2
Knife
Playtime: 10:56
Times Played: 9
Beat it on 4/12

Ending #3:
Axe
Playtime: 12:24
Times Played: 10
beat it on 4/12

Ending #4:
Safe
Playtime: 15:13
Times Played: 11
Beat it on 4/12

Ending #5:
The Grand Finale
Playtime: 20:39
Times Played: 12
Beat it on 4/13

Average Playtime 1:43

Its weird looking back because I quit and started the game seven times on the first playthrough. Then all the second playthrough I only played two times. (And it was all new puzzles) but endings 3-5 I played in one sitting O_O

And how quickly I beat it. It was my first visual novel game ever so it took me awhile to get into it because I'm not used to treating games as novels but sine I have read alot of novels (especially Christopher Pike books which pretty much all of them has some crazy twists and whodunit in them. This game deffanitly reminded me of those novels) and started treating it more like a vieual book(Which is what it is obviously I got right into it. I gotta get more visual novels.
After finishing the books I've left unread lol

After beating it I still have'nt quite beaten it 100% yet. Never did some dialog choices and never went through door 3. I also read every post in this and the spoiler thread after beating it lol.

Nishastra

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
Wow. I can't even figure out the first puzzle.. :/
Make sure you've looked everywhere in the room. The first time I played, I thought I had all the items I needed and just couldn't make sense of it, but there was one I was missing and it was pretty straightforward from there.

I can't remember off the top of my head where the thing I missed was, though...

Nishastra said:
Make sure you've looked everywhere in the room. The first time I played, I thought I had all the items I needed and just couldn't make sense of it, but there was one I was missing and it was pretty straightforward from there.

I can't remember off the top of my head where the thing I missed was, though...

Same here. I was missing the second piece of the colored shapes key, and I was trying to wrap my head around an incomplete puzzle for nearly 30 minutes. >_>

After that, the puzzles are pretty strait forward. Some are more challenging than others, but they're all pretty enjoyable to solve if not for the banter between all of the characters involved.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Wow. I can't even figure out the first puzzle.. :/

It's probably one of the only times you'll get stuck. It's unfortunate that it's always in the first section.

Anyway, a spoiler so you don't give up: Check
under all the pillows

milkham

Octorockin' said:
Same here. I was missing the second piece of the colored shapes key, and I was trying to wrap my head around an incomplete puzzle for nearly 30 minutes. >_>

After that, the puzzles are pretty strait forward. Some are more challenging than others, but they're all pretty enjoyable to solve if not for the banter between all of the characters involved.

haha yeah i never even knew there was a piece i was missing, i just
trial and errored my way through the missing numbers and eventually wrote them down so i wouldn't have to go through it again

Octorockin' said:

Whahh? There was another piece? I just figured out the puzzle by
thinking that since the two blue numbers are on the left, I went one shape to the right of each in the legend to get the ones on the right. Then did the opposite with the red ones (only going left, you have to cross back over to the other side on the bottom of the legend).
That was the only puzzle I got stuck on in the game really (though I'm slowly replaying it now to get the endings / places I missed).

IMACOMPUTA

timetokill said:
It's probably one of the only times you'll get stuck. It's unfortunate that it's always in the first section.

Anyway, a spoiler so you don't give up: Check
under all the pillows

that was exactly my mistake. I've beaten the game since. took 10 hours and i got the bad ending.
!!! kinda upset! lol.. already on my second play through.. I have a question though.
I don't want anything spoiled for me, but can someone explain to me what determines the ending? I mean, is it each individual choice that leads to the ending you get? because so far i've just been picking every choice differently, even though some i'd like to choose my first choice again. I don't want to know exactly what it is that determines it, but just a hint would be nice.

Anyways, i absolutely love this game. I only picked it up based on the praise it's gotten on GAF, and because it's kind of similar to Puzzle Agent (which i also LOVED). The story drew me in and I must find answers!

Oh, and the music is awesome.

EDIT: Another question!
When you play through for the third time, are both the first and second choices you made grayed out? Or only the ones from the previous play-through?

So I just went through my first playthrough. I got the
submarine
ending. That being said, I'm ready for my next few playthhroughs.

To be honest, it took me a while to warm up to the game. Sometimes it seems verbose for verbosity sake, and I read much faster then the text speed and it was often times very frustrating (it's actually a pet peeve of mine in a LOT of games.) However, after
Snake's death
the plot became much more interesting. I'm also really appreciating that different playthroughs are going to yield a lot more insight and backstory since there's a ton of questions left.

IMACOMPUTA

IAmtheFMan said:
So I just went through my first playthrough. I got the
submarine
ending. That being said, I'm ready for my next few playthhroughs.

To be honest, it took me a while to warm up to the game. Sometimes it seems verbose for verbosity sake, and I read much faster then the text speed and it was often times very frustrating (it's actually a pet peeve of mine in a LOT of games.) However, after
Snake's death
the plot became much more interesting. I'm also really appreciating that different playthroughs are going to yield a lot more insight and backstory since there's a ton of questions left.

Yeah, I agree. There's a lot that's over-explained. Not only is it kind of frustrating for the amount of time it takes just to get going, but it makes some of the puzzles very easy.

IMACOMPUTA said:
that was exactly my mistake. I've beaten the game since. took 10 hours and i got the bad ending.
!!! kinda upset! lol.. already on my second play through.. I have a question though.
I don't want anything spoiled for me, but can someone explain to me what determines the ending? I mean, is it each individual choice that leads to the ending you get? because so far i've just been picking every choice differently, even though some i'd like to choose my first choice again. I don't want to know exactly what it is that determines it, but just a hint would be nice.

Anyways, i absolutely love this game. I only picked it up based on the praise it's gotten on GAF, and because it's kind of similar to Puzzle Agent (which i also LOVED). The story drew me in and I must find answers!

Oh, and the music is awesome.

EDIT: Another question!
When you play through for the third time, are both the first and second choices you made grayed out? Or only the ones from the previous play-through?

The ending is largely determined by
the doors you choose, though there are a few specific choices otherwise that are required for the "true" ending.
By playing through the other endings, though, you will probably be able to figure out what those conversations and choices are.

As for your other question, they're generally all of the choices you've made previously, iirc.

IMACOMPUTA

timetokill said:
The ending is largely determined by
the doors you choose, though there are a few specific choices otherwise that are required for the "true" ending.
By playing through the other endings, though, you will probably be able to figure out what those conversations and choices are.

As for your other question, they're generally all of the choices you've made previously, iirc.

Ah, thanks for that!
Any recommendations for other games similar to 999? With as gripping of a story, etc?
Was thinking of picking up Ghost Trick when i'm finished with this.

malfcn

I got rid of my DS. Only made it to one ending of this game. For some reason I had a hard time getting into 999 and Crono Trigger. Maybe it was because I played it during odd hours of the night (while falling asleep) or they aren't my type of game. I decided to read some of the spoilers and wtf, sounds some some weird stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
It's neat but I might have done all the endings if I could get a synopsis of the conversations instead of having to wait through them with fast forward. I like Visual Novel/point and click adventure games but ehhh

jaxword

I'm trying ever17 based upon this thread...

I'll be honest.

Boring.

It's not nearly a fast-paced or creepy as 999. The writing isn't as tight, however I blame that on the shoddy English translation. The characters are even MORE stereotypical anime than 999's. Whereas 999 there was a sense of life or death, half of Ever17 is the characters complaining about the boredom.

I'm slogging through it, because I DO like Visual Novel games, but I'm just a little let down. I'm studying anatomy at the same time as I play it, though, so it's not a waste of time.

jaxword said:
I'm trying ever17 based upon this thread...

I'll be honest.

Boring.

It's not nearly a fast-paced or creepy as 999. The writing isn't as tight, however I blame that on the shoddy English translation. The characters are even MORE stereotypical anime than 999's. Whereas 999 there was a sense of life or death, half of Ever17 is the characters complaining about the boredom.

I'm slogging through it, because I DO like Visual Novel games, but I'm just a little let down. I'm studying anatomy at the same time as I play it, though, so it's not a waste of time.
Ever17 is certainly slower paced than 999, and I don't like the characters as much either. It's worth reading though, just because the plot is brilliantly constructed, something which doesn't fully become apparent until you've gotten to the true ending.

Akselziys said:
Originally in the Japanese version that was all done over the loud speaker... *end game spoilers*

so you heard it as kyu. However, that leap can't be made nor have it come full circle in the US ver, so instead Chunsoft modified it, per our suggestion, so that everyone found notes in their pockets and Junpei read his.

Also, the note was purposefully written so that the 9 looked very similar to a 'q', but it would cause the reader/Junpei to mistake it for a 9 (like how q was mistaken for kyu). The reason for the flashback of Zero's voice over the speaker was obviously in the Japanese version to show the flashback of what happened. In the US version it was left in so that the player would know it was Zero speaking (via the words on the letter), symbolic if nothing else :)

Unfortunately, that was one of the major obstacles to overcome in the localization process, so we did the best we could to try and match it for the US audience :D

Hopefully it worked as intended for the most part.

Just finished the game and this part threw me off too. Then I thought about how it could be due to localization results and thought, well, I suppose there wasn't many ways around it.

The game was good! I put it behind Ever 17 but it's definitely worth picking up. I was glued to my DS after starting this game! Beat it all in three days!

Celine

Got the true ending yesterday and was a bit disappointed on why you were there.
I enjoyed the game although I wasn't blown away as some of you were by it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Celine said:
Got the true ending yesterday and was a bit disappointed on why you were there.
I enjoyed the game although I wasn't blown away as some of you were by it.
disappointed? Why?

Riposte

My personal favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8eWvCYkB0

Picking one favorite song is impossible because the OST is really fantastic. Maybe an all time great - seriously. The serious background visuals and soundtrack are more responsible for the game's atmosphere than the story or the wacky anime characters.

(If you don't play DS games without headphones you are a schmuck)

Jintor

Was watching @gigifritter (peachifruit) pretty much stomp up and down all over the game on twitter. Unsettling.

She didn't like it very much.

Celine

GaimeGuy said:
disappointed? Why?
I didn't like the "pseudo science" used to justify why you were there.
To be more precise while the fields theory could be acceptable the fact that writer had to trascend time to make it work for the ultimate twist is a bit silly.
That said I very liked the idea that the multi-ending gameplay structure is tied to the narration.
Not only that but that isn't just Jumpei that used the information in the fields but also the player itself creating a sort of bound between the experience and the player that is better than what planned in Contact.

Also when I realized June setup , through her supernatural powers and Santa help , a very complicated plan to revenge against PC and save her from the incinerator and all she had to do to free herself in the past was to solve a banal sudoku, well, I laughed.

Another thing is that I wished the nine characters had different interests and acted each with different ( and contrasting ) goals in mind.
What we really got is a Master ( a deus ex machina ) that lead the good guys ( basically everyone except Ace ) and one bad guy that is eviler than evil and coincidentally is depicted for most parts as being to good to be true.
The only other element that could disrupt the flow is Clover when she went batshit insane.
As I said all in all I liked the experience but as happened with Shutter Island I wish the ultimate twist was different.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Celine said:
I didn't like the "pseudo science" used to justify why you were there.
To be more precise while the fields theory could be acceptable the fact that writer had to trascend time to make it work for the ultimate twist is a bit silly.
That said I very liked the idea that the multi-ending gameplay structure is tied to the narration.
Not only that but that isn't just Jumpei that used the information in the fields but also the player itself creating a sort of bound between the experience and the player that is better than what planned in Contact.

Also when I realized June setup , through her supernatural powers and Santa help , a very complicated plan to revenge against PC and save her from the incinerator and all she had to do to free herself in the past was to solve a banal sudoku, well, I laughed.

Another thing is that I wished the nine characters had different interests and acted each with different ( and contrasting ) goals in mind.
What we really got is a Master ( a deus ex machina ) that lead the good guys ( basically everyone except Ace ) and one bad guy that is eviler than evil and coincidentally is depicted for most parts as being to good to be true.
The only other element that could disrupt the flow is Clover when she went batshit insane.
As I said all in all I liked the experience but as happened with Shutter Island I wish the ultimate twist was different.
The issue is that she didn't understand the puzzle and reached out to the morphogenettic field for help. Because of what she got help from, she had to make sure that future she observed actually happened, because there'd be paradox that would erase her from existence otherwise.

Also, you forgot Seven. He was in on the plan as well.

It was all put into motion by Seven, Santa, and Akane to ensure that Akane actually did survive 9 years earlier.

i just played through the main ending.

must have spent 4 hours reading text and getting my mind blown for awhile. i had a dream joe pesci made me play a similar game.

i woke up feeling very bothered.

So I started the game last night. How long is this? Man is a lot of readon, though obviously expected, and it's really well done. I'm very intrigued so far.

Jintor said:
I'd say 4-6 hours first run through, 1 hour each for runthroughs after that, another 2-3 hours for final path.
Is this first run through "enough" as in is it the story the game means to tell or is it purposely not telling the full story and you pretty much gotta play the other runthroughs. Normally I wouldn't mind pwning it over and over and over again but I'm trying to reduce a backlog here!

-Pyromaniac- said:
Is this first run through "enough" as in is it the story the game means to tell or is it purposely not telling the full story and you pretty much gotta play the other runthroughs. Normally I wouldn't mind pwning it over and over and over again but I'm trying to reduce a backlog here!

No, the first runthrough is not enough. The story is only finished when you reach the true ending, which requires another ending first. To get the full story, you'll need to read all the endings. It doesn't take that long, really.

Top Bottom