• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

I got the axe ending now, and I couldn't resist looking at spoiler free walkthroughs now.
Is the
coffin ending worth watching or should I just focus to unlock the real ending?
I will say I am getting a bit tired of the game now, especially after I have been through all the rooms technically except

Nishastra

Banned
storafötter said:
Is the
coffin ending worth watching or should I just focus to unlock the real ending?
There's nothing to be gained by getting the
coffin ending itself.
All it is is the
true ending cut way short.

Nishastra said:
There's nothing to be gained by getting the
coffin ending itself.
All it is is the
true ending cut way short.

Thats good to know, I thought it could end up as those interesting out of place endings. Here comes clearing the game two times more, better be good.

J'onn J'onzz

Neo Member
So last night I got the safe ending and this morning (ALL of this morning) I did my sixth playthrough and got the true ending.

I had actually examined that safe before. But I did it after I had already unlocked the door... and I may have gone through some of the wrong doors afterwards. Oh well, I got to see all the endings that way. Even if some of the bad ones had me misled for a while (like the axe one).

Anyway I liked it a lot. I was overly suspicious of June for a lot of it because of an answer that Kotaro Uchikoshi gave in that Nintendo Power article. He said June was a "cool-headed, intelligent girl who will do whatever it takes to achieve her goals. Doesn't that kind of girl give you the chills" and I interpreted that to mean that she was probably the killer (since Nintendo Power had a warning saying that answer contained spoilers, I read more into it than I probably should have). I never really thought she was Zero though, just the killer...

I still have a few questions though (which may or may not be answerable).

Who is the killer in the submarine ending??? Almost everyone died, didn't they? Was it that old guy who had the fake zero bracelet? The fake "Captain" who was the financier for Ace's pharmaceutical company, I mean. Other than Junpei, only him and Snake were still alive at the end, and Snake was still inside the coffin. Was Ace pretending to be dead or something? Why would he stab himself? Why not just hide...? I also don't understand why there was a submarine there to begin with... if they were in Nevada, it wouldn't really do much good... I suppose it'd get him out of the ship and to the SUV. But why would it be included to begin with? Even if it were in Building Q the first time, why was it there? It seemed as if Ace was determined to get the kids into the incinerator the first time... so why would he include an alternative escape route? I suppose it's possible that the submarine would just go to a dead end... That's the best reason I can think up for it to exist, just to frustrate the participants in the Nonary Game. But if it were a dead end anyway, why bother killing Junpei before he can get in it?

And... how did Santa, Ace, and June get out? If Santa's bracelet is 0, June's is 9, and Ace's is 1... that adds up to 10, with a digital root of 1. Isn't it supposed to be 8? If they used the 9th Man's bracelet, that adds another 9 but doesn't change the digital root. Maybe they used the submarine to escape...

I don't quite understand how there can be two 9 bracelets to begin with... Were there also two 2 bracelets? The associate of Ace who exploded in door 3 must have had a 2 bracelet, but Snake still had his too... Also, did no one really have the 3 bracelet?

Another bracelet question... if there were no way for them to force a detonation, what happened to the 9th Man and the guy in Snake's clothes? Why did they explode? Were they using bracelets from the original game? If so, maybe that's why they were able to use bracelets with the same numbers as bracelets already in use and that's why their bracelets could force an explosion... Or does Junpei just not understand how miniaturized technology has become? I'm going to go with that...

In the library, didn't Snake say that Aoi had died nine years ago...? He definitely said that two people had died. One was Akane, of course, but I think the other person he mentioned was Aoi... but this was never followed up on, by him or anyone else. He certainly didn't die in Seven's telling of events, or in Akane's for that matter...

The true ending was emotionally resonant and well written and everything but a lot of the twists it introduced don't really make sense to me... beyond just the obvious time paradox of June's escape which can easily be explained away by some morphogenetic field pseudoscience or by saying that Seven lied in order to make sure Junpei would be able to solve the puzzle for her.

Nishastra

Banned
Yikes. A lot to repond to there, but it's been some time since I played so I'm fuzzy on a lot of details now. A couple of things I do remember, though...

J'onn J'onzz said:
Who is the killer in the submarine ending??? Almost everyone died, didn't they? Was it that old guy who had the fake zero bracelet? The fake "Captain" who was the financier for Ace's pharmaceutical company, I mean. Other than Junpei, only him and Snake were still alive at the end, and Snake was still inside the coffin. Was Ace pretending to be dead or something? Why would he stab himself? Why not just hide...?
It was
Ace. Where did you see that he stabbed himself? He plays dead, and Junpei & Co. only actually check Clover before moving on.

J'onn J'onzz said:
I also don't understand why there was a submarine there to begin with... if they were in Nevada, it wouldn't really do much good... I suppose it'd get him out of the ship and to the SUV. But why would it be included to begin with? Even if it were in Building Q the first time, why was it there?
It's a complete
duplicate of the ship. The sub is useless in the building (and attempting to exit via the sub would lead to a dead end, I recall someone official saying), but it needed to be there for the purposes of the original game. It's all supposed to be the same.

I still have this un opened with the watch it came with...

I don't have anything to play it on....

anyone seen any good deals on the DS or the DSi since the 3DS has came out?

J'onn J'onzz said:
The true ending was emotionally resonant and well written and everything but a lot of the twists it introduced don't really make sense to me... beyond just the obvious time paradox of June's escape which can easily be explained away by some morphogenetic field pseudoscience or by saying that Seven lied in order to make sure Junpei would be able to solve the puzzle for her.

I agree with this, I didn't even like the
telepathy mumbo jumbo they mumbled about on the first rooms, I admit it made more sense to the plot when you got to the 9th door. The game got very exciting once the twist was introduced, but the real ending was ruined for me when Junpei tried to save Akane from the future.

I finished the true ending and I am left disappointed. My favourite ending has to be
the safe ending, just the fact that it introduced some twist, with Junpeis confrontation with Ace, Snakes fighting Ace was very emotional, I liked much better how it really went there
. I enjoyed the game on several occasions, but the ending can break a lot of enjoyment especially on a story. It didn't help that I didn't care much for the characters. As I have stated before, the game has fun puzzles and most of the time they are explained well
Hated the last puzzle, as I don't understand Sudoku
. But a lot of things could been improved with skipping scenes/puzzles so that the experience would be more streamlined. Sometimes the text writing could be overwhelming and dull
the library was the worst, looking at all those bookshelves, couldn't have hurt to be able to speed through text you have never read
Overall the theme and plot is truly one of a kind and its strength, but the conclusion didn't sit with me that well so I can't call the story all that terrific. Although it was still interesting seeing the multiple endings.

What I found interesting is
that most of the details of their past are distributed between the different paths and combinations you make with the doors. However much of it gets repeated and wrapped up in the real ending, but the information about Lotus children was left out. I found that very weird to be honest.

I felt like only Clover developed her personality.
Feels like the main point was to avoid that Clover turned into a mass murderer. Even if Ace was the main villain, Clover still suspected everyone and wanted to seek revenge

Shirokun

storafötter said:
I finished the true ending and I am left disappointed.
The theme and plot is truly one of a kind and its strength, but the conclusion didn't sit with me well so I can't call the story all that terrific.

That's a shame, as I felt it was the highlight of the game, especially when you find out that
the bottom screen narration was being done from past Akane's perspective the entire time. Never had my jaw drop so much.
Since you've finished it, you should probably go consult the "answers" page(WARNING: Do NOT go here unless you have completed the true ending of 999)which is an interview with the original creator answering dozens of plot based questions. A lot of fascinating stuff in there, and it clears up somethings which are easy to have overlooked on your playthrough.

Shirokun said:
That's a shame, as I felt it was the highlight of the game, especially when you find out that
the bottom screen narration was being done from past Akane's perspective the entire time. Never had my jaw drop so much.
Since you've finished it, you should probably go consult the "answers" page(WARNING: Do NOT go here unless you have completed the true ending of 999)which is an interview with the original creator answering dozens of plot based questions. A lot of fascinating stuff in there, and it clears up somethings which are easy to have overlooked on your playthrough.

Well sometimes I can enjoy things like
supernatural elements revealing the truth
, but for the Ace Attorney series I felt like it worked better due to it being explained and being an underlying theme through the course of 3 games.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely check out the answers. A lot of things felt unanswered, so at least now I can "rest" in peace :p.

In regards of this type of games I would definitely buy another visual novel, despite certain complaints. I am very glad that Aksys took the risk and did such a great job with it. Thankfully the DS is region free so I got to experience this one of a kind game, but I fear for what holds for the 3ds. I just hope whenever Chunsoft makes a 3ds game that European publishers will pick it up.

Magnus

Where in the world can I find this game from an official retailer, new or used, without paying an arm and a leg? Silly games being discontinued the week they're released. :(

Magnus said:
Where in the world can I find this game from an official retailer, new or used, without paying an arm and a leg? Silly games being discontinued the week they're released. :(

It definitely is NOT discontinued. You could always get it from Amazon.

Jintor

Magnus said:

Are you not in the USA? You could always ship from Akysy directly if you are

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Magnus said:

Actually we just received another re-order we made :)

Should be able to grab it from GameStop, Amazon, or from us directly (if you're in the US) ;)

Thoraxes

Well, last week I picked up a copy for my Mom (50 years old) (We bought her a DSiXL for Christmas because she loved the Phoenix Wright/Layton games after we lent her ours), and she's gotten almost all the endings now. She just finished
the coffin ending, and is now going for the safe ending, which will lead her to complete all endings, and get the true one.

She's like, "Why don't they make more games like this nowadays?" and I explained to her the whole visual novel thing and all that jazz. If she gets a netbook, I was gonna let her play my copy of Ever17.

Anyways, just thought i'd let you know that even my mom thinks 999 is a great game and that she loves it.

Magnus

cosmicblizzard said:
It definitely is NOT discontinued. You could always get it from Amazon.

Whatever. It's harder to find in Toronto than games that were discontinued a decade ago, so it may as well be, lol.

Anyway, finally found one new copy for $44. I'm a tard though and didn't check amazon.com (thanks for the heads-up guys) and may just get it through them with a bunch of other things I wanted to ease the shipping cost to Canada.

edit-

Well, for some reason, that one particular item won't ship to Canada, but other amazon items will...

I just realized that different items on amazon are sold by different retailers? Man. I've only used amazon a couple of times in the past, but had no idea it was basically just a glorified ebay. Is there actually one entity that is the amazon store and not a third party selling through amazon? I usually prefer buying new to avoid all this crap, unless I can examine a used game in person first.

Guess I'll be buying the one pricey copy I found in town.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Magnus said:
Whatever. It's harder to find in Toronto than games that were discontinued a decade ago, so it may as well be, lol.

Anyway, finally found one new copy for $44. I'm a tard though and didn't check amazon.com (thanks for the heads-up guys) and may just get it through them with a bunch of other things I wanted to ease the shipping cost to Canada.

edit-

Well, for some reason, that one particular item won't ship to Canada, but other amazon items will...

I just realized that different items on amazon are sold by different retailers? Man. I've only used amazon a couple of times in the past, but had no idea it was basically just a glorified ebay. Is there actually one entity that is the amazon store and not a third party selling through amazon? I usually prefer buying new to avoid all this crap, unless I can examine a used game in person first.

Guess I'll be buying the one pricey copy I found in town.
If it doesn't say "By _____" next to the product name it's sold by amazon itself.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
was wondering if Thoraxes could let us know how his mom is doing :)

(that sounds so creepy)

Magnus

Tell me this game gets better than its first hour. I want to kill myself out of boredom. I'll happily elaborate, but I'm sure I'm going to get lynched by all the fans of the game in here.

Will persist for awhile, since everyone's sang its praises. I'm sure I'll start digging it soon.

Thoraxes

GaimeGuy said:
was wondering if Thoraxes could let us know how his mom is doing :)

(that sounds so creepy)
Haha, no it's not at all! She's on the path to the true end now. She was like, what the hell is up with the
coffin
ending?
So she's trucking along, and when she finishes, i'll post a mini feedback session from her.

SmithnCo

Magnus said:
Tell me this game gets better than its first hour. I want to kill myself out of boredom. I'll happily elaborate, but I'm sure I'm going to get lynched by all the fans of the game in here.

Will persist for awhile, since everyone's sang its praises. I'm sure I'll start digging it soon.

It definitely gets more intriguing as it goes along I would say. And the puzzles do get a little harder. But don't think there isn't a ton of reading. It is very text heavy all the way through. I say stick with it.

Magnus said:

Are you expecting something other than a visual novel or are you saying that, even as a visual novel, it's boring?

For the former, I'd say drop it, it's never going to be anything other than what it is. For the latter, I'd say stick with it until you can't anymore. You may find it gets better as the mystery deepens.

Magnus

Word. I mean, I came into this knowing exactly what it was. Essentially an interactive novel, with puzzles and choose-your-own-adventure choices and whatever.

The dialogue and over-written narration is just disastrous so far. These characters are uninteresting, they over-explain everything, belaboring even the simplest mechanics like digital roots with repetitive explanations, and it takes a good five or six sentences to explain something simple like "Junpei is trapped in the room and water is rushing in!". It's unnecessary and just artificially inflates a chapter of the story where practically nothing is happening.

There are far more graceful ways to explain RED, DEAD and all of that than a half-hour parade of crap dialogue and instruction (this lobby scene where all the characters are introduced).

Honestly, even for the genre its placing itself in, it's not a good thing for any video game if a player is only making about 2 or 3 choices in the first hour. I think I can count on one hand how many choices I've had so far. It's too much, especially for a portable game I want to play in half-hour bursts.

On a personal note, I'm noticing I'm having this problem with a lot of games lately, handheld and console. I'm of the conviction that a game (or almost any story really) has to frontload a lot of its 'awesome' to grab someone. So I was excited at first to see that the game basically opens with a panic situation, but all of that excitement is catastrophically deflated by an endless parade of text explaining everything ad infinitum in that first room. Nevermind that every time I jumped into the screen to enter a suitcase code, I got another text window explaining everything again. Man. I get it! Let me play the game!

So yeah, maybe its my own problem. I'm well-trained in the notion of investment into a longer story, and trudging through slow portions to arrive at the awesomeness beyond, but bit by bit my patience in that department is waning.

edit-

I've just been made aware that someone from the development team on this posts on GAF. I want to apologize for sounding like a critical dick, but I mean....I'm not of the belief that I should change my opinion because of that, lol. I'm all for championing unique games, especially when there's so much shovelware out there, particularly on the DS. So yeah, I'm grateful this game exists, and that its premise is exciting (the premise alone made me hunt this down and pay $45 for it after all) -- I just hope I really get grabbed by it soon! :)

totowhoa

Banned
I was pretty underwhelmed by the first one to two hours given the GAF hype. The game really grabbed me later though, and the story starts to get really exciting. The puzzles also begin to get better. You'll also begin making more influential choices as well. I'd say stick with it and see how you're feeling in a few more hours. My enjoyment of the game increased as a straight, steady gradation. By the end, I couldn't wait to start a New Game +.

Edit: I'd also add that your turn offs were similar to mine initially. I would say that this was, for me, a game that required a little investment with plenty of payoff. YMMV though, as with anything else.

bounchfx

Just finally opened my copy after owning it for 2 months. Played about an hour last night. Pretty awesome! I didn't know what to expect going into it... I just thought there'd be more puzzles. Right now it's basically a book, but I'm enjoying it. I just got through the first door. it's gonna be cool doing a new game + with different people and making different choices.

I'm looking forward to playing more tonight.

Thoraxes

Magnus said:
Word. I mean, I came into this knowing exactly what it was. Essentially an interactive novel, with puzzles and choose-your-own-adventure choices and whatever.

Honestly, even for the genre its placing itself in, it's not a good thing for any video game if a player is only making about 2 or 3 choices in the first hour. I think I can count on one hand how many choices I've had so far. It's too much, especially for a portable game I want to play in half-hour bursts.

That's just how Uchikoshi writes secnarios, and how a lot of VNs are in general... They are more actual Visual Novels and not games, just presented in a slightly interactive fashion. Ever17 is no different. The genre is different from how most people perceive it to be.

That being said, hang in there. If you come back and have gotten all the endings and say you're dissatisfied (if you make it that long), then so be it. Things are kind of bland until you scratch the surface more, and realize that there's more going on than you think.

It's not for everyone though, I understand that.

MooMoo

Holy crap. I had my doubts about buying this game, and sure the beginning is REALLY slow (text speed options for a game like this please? and come on, surely you don't have to explain the controls...), but wow! This game just sucked me right in. All the interesting factual tidbits and the development of the characters is awesome. And the music is fairly fitting too. Good think I listen to NeoGAF when it comes to games; between this and Radiant Historia handheld gaming has never been so great :3

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just started playing this over the weekend. It's really good and I like it a lot. I'm going to recommend it to all my friends that have a DS and that I think would like this kind of game.

I'm playing the game without any guides, but unfortunately when looking up something just in case, I saw some text referencing some plot points.

These were:
I think it said that Santa was June's Brother and a mention about going forward or backward in time to stop some incident regarding June. Also someones questions as to whether Snake was in on the game the whole time with Zero and references to him dieing.

Really wish I hadn't seen that stuff :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got my first ending tonight.

I got stabbed and I didn't even find out who stabbed me.

I started a new game, I'm glad it keeps your past choices in there. It was alright for me to just select continue instead of the other option right?

One pet peeve is that with continuing the game and being able to skip the text, I am left handed and was using the stylus in my left hand the whole game so far, but in order to skip text I have to press right on the d-pad and I'm not allowed to reconfigure the buttons. It makes the whole thing very awkward to use.

Trojita said:
I got my first ending tonight.

I got stabbed and I didn't even find out who stabbed me.

I started a new game, I'm glad it keeps your past choices in there. It was alright for me to just select continue instead of the other option right?

One pet peeve is that with continuing the game and being able to skip the text, I am left handed and was using the stylus in my left hand the whole game so far, but in order to skip text I have to press right on the d-pad and I'm not allowed to reconfigure the buttons. It makes the whole thing very awkward to use.

It's been a while since I've played, but don't R and L skip the text as well?

Sorry if I'm wrong.

Instro

Trojita said:
Just started playing this over the weekend. It's really good and I like it a lot. I'm going to recommend it to all my friends that have a DS and that I think would like this kind of game.

I'm playing the game without any guides, but unfortunately when looking up something just in case, I saw some text referencing some plot points.

These were:
I think it said that Santa was June's Brother and a mention about going forward or backward in time to stop some incident regarding June. Also someones questions as to whether Snake was in on the game the whole time with Zero and references to him dieing.

Ouch man I feel bad for you, particularly because of where those spoilers fit into the overall plot . Dont worry though theres still a ton of other awesome story even if you have been spoiled on a couple key plot points.
SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
It's been a while since I've played, but don't R and L skip the text as well?

Sorry if I'm wrong.

As far as I know the only button that skips is the right arrow.

upandaway

Just finished it once today.

You guys were right (
he saw Lotus stabbed, then got stabbed, and died, that's.. it
, the first ending is basically nothing. So much so that I really ended up playing it again.

I'm pretty much forcing myself to pick choices that I don't want to pick, which is annoying. I'm not built to choose things like that. But oh well.

Anyway I can speed up text just fine, but how can I skip puzzles I already did? It's silly that I can't find the option but I really can't, help me out please.
(you CAN skip those, right?)

Korigama

upandaway said:
Anyway I can speed up text just fine, but how can I skip puzzles I already did? It's silly that I can't find the option but I really can't, help me out please.

No, you can't (you'll have to do those again every time).

EDIT: Beaten.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
upandaway said:
Just finished it once today.

You guys were right (
he saw Lotus stabbed, then got stabbed, and died, that's.. it
, the first ending is basically nothing. So much so that I really ended up playing it again.

I'm pretty much forcing myself to pick choices that I don't want to pick, which is annoying. I'm not built to choose things like that. But oh well.

Nope, you have to repeat the puzzles, but you can skip the text in them. :/ The reason you can't skip them is that depending on the path you head down, there's sometimes a small, new bit of dialogue related to the plot.

upandaway said:

Sadly, you can't. One of the few flaws of the game.

upandaway

Well.. that kinda sucks.

Just finished my second ending (first one was
a knife picture, the second one submarine
). Still doesn't make a lot of sense but it's coming together a bit. But just a bit.

jaxword

Trojita said:

These were:

if it helps, most theories that people posted, like half of your spoiler there, were false/misinterpretations that were cleared up by the developers much later. So you're only 1/2 spoiled. You got the sibling names very, very wrong. Read this spoiler to fix part of your spoiler:
It's CLOVER and Snake who are brother and sister.

upandaway

So here's what I did today.

I got the ending where
Clover gets the axe from the old dude and kills me
. I was a little confused but whatever. Next I tried to do the same thing, only now
I'll give Clover the flower from Santa and always choose options to soap her up (I also talked to her a lot in the old man's room. Same ending. Now I was really confused, and a bit annoyed. There's no reason in what she's doing, at all. At all.

So I tried once more, and chose only things which I hadn't chosen before, and I'm not getting any new doors or puzzles, so I think I did all of them. And I already tried matching different routes and it still gave me the same ending (like I said with Clover), so I dunno what to do next.
And I REALLY don't feel like replaying the game again without getting a new ending.. the only thing worse than redoing the puzzles is redoing them without progressing. I hope I'll find a spoiler-free ending guide somewhere.. anyone here got a tip for me for one nice ending I didn't get yet?

Also, more than once I fast forwarded through text I never read, and couldn't fast forward a lot of text I already read. I don't mind the latter but if I didn't notice the former and scrolled back I would have missed out on some lines.

Sort of maybe kinda negative post but I'm really loving it so don't get me wrong.

Top Bottom