• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

TheExodu5

Banned
2 endings down.

Submarine Ending
Axe Ending

3 more to go, from what I'm seeing (assuming Coffin and True can be had at once).

Omikaru

3 more to go, from what I'm seeing (assuming Coffin and True can be had at once).

Yes, and no (sort of). Something different happens in the True ending that lets you progress beyond the Coffin ending, so you won't actually experience the Coffin ending in its purest. However, they both will appear unlocked if you don't complete the Coffin ending before the True one, since otherwise it'd becomes impossible to unlock without resetting your file once the True Ending conditions are met.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nearing the end of the
Safe
ending.

I found out that the 0 bracelet is actually 6.

Now, I'm guessing this is a hint that 6 (Akane) is Zero. =\

We'll see.

edit: got the ending...not sure what to think of that, but I guess my suspicions may be correct.

TheExodu5

Banned
Partway through the true ending. I'll have to finish it tonight.

It better blow my mind, because it has been a fairly mediocre experience up until this point.

The puzzles have mostly been quite boring as well. They might feel rewarding, except your companions feel the need to blurt out the solution every time. The only one that was (albeit it was fairly easy) cryptic enough to feel rewarding was the 3x3 grid with the big F above it, as they didn't give you any hints on that one.

How long does it take to play through the game? Do you have to pick different choices each time you play in order to get each ending or do the endings just unlock as you play through?

I'm currently on my first play through up to
finding Snake's body

TheExodu5

Banned
First time through is probably 5-6 hours. When playing through it again, you just need to pick new choices (usually just different door combinations). You can fast forward through already seen text by holding Right on the d-pad, but you have to replay puzzles.

I suggest you find yourself a spoiler-free walkthrough so you can plan the endings you're going to get. It would suck to get the same ending twice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Partway through the true ending. I'll have to finish it tonight.

It better blow my mind, because it has been a fairly mediocre experience up until this point.

The puzzles have mostly been quite boring as well. They might feel rewarding, except your companions feel the need to blurt out the solution every time. The only one that was (albeit it was fairly easy) cryptic enough to feel rewarding was the 3x3 grid with the big F above it, as they didn't give you any hints on that one.

The puzzles weren't horrible (they weren't great, either), but it was weird UI choices that bugged me. Like slow unskippable text every time you wanted to interact with something.

Mistle

First play through, got the
knife... Wow! The coffin and then the final death scene was tense. I always suspected Ace too
Was totally unprepared for the game to end like that. I knew there were multiple endings but I just assumed there'd be a more obvious trigger in deciding which one you got.
But I'm kind of happy there isn't. I'm starting to realise just how big this game is (potentially), and sort of how it works... I've gone in completely blind, so I don't know a thing.

So I ask... I want to see all the endings, THEN the final good ending. How do I go about this? Just keep replaying the game and choosing different paths? Will that always lead me to a different ending as long as I don't do identical play throughs? Also, is it just the doors that matter, or can answering a question with a different answer effect the ending?
Is there a chance I'll "accidentally" get the true ending, or is the true ending only achievable by deliberate and calculated actions that I'd learn from experiencing all the alternate paths?

Sorry for all the questions. Pretty much my goal is to play through all the different endings with the true ending last. I don't know how the game functions and I don't want to be spoiled, but at the same time I don't want to burn out on the game replaying it 100 times unsuccessfully trying to get all the endings.. haha.

In all though damn I'm loving this game. Came out around the same time as Ghost Trick I believe so I didn't make time for it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So I ask... I want to see all the endings, THEN the final good ending. How do I go about this? Just keep replaying the game and choosing different paths? Will that always lead me to a different ending as long as I don't do identical play throughs? Also, is it just the doors that matter, or can answering a question with a different answer effect the ending?

It's a combination of both.

Pretty much my goal is to play through all the different endings with the true ending last.

That's the best way to do it. There are spoiler-free guides for the endings, if you want to make sure, but I'd at least try to find some of them on your own first. It's not that easy to get the true ending, so I wouldn't worry about that for now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
First play through, got the
knife... Wow! The coffin and then the final death scene was tense. I always suspected Ace too
Was totally unprepared for the game to end like that. I knew there were multiple endings but I just assumed there'd be a more obvious trigger in deciding which one you got.
But I'm kind of happy there isn't. I'm starting to realise just how big this game is (potentially), and sort of how it works... I've gone in completely blind, so I don't know a thing.

Is there a chance I'll "accidentally" get the true ending, or is the true ending only achievable by deliberate and calculated actions that I'd learn from experiencing all the alternate paths?

Sorry for all the questions. Pretty much my goal is to play through all the different endings with the true ending last. I don't know how the game functions and I don't want to be spoiled, but at the same time I don't want to burn out on the game replaying it 100 times unsuccessfully trying to get all the endings.. haha.

In all though damn I'm loving this game. Came out around the same time as Ghost Trick I believe so I didn't make time for it.
basically, as long as you don't do the coffin ending again until you've seen every other ending, you'll ensure that you'll get the real ending last. Very much worth playing through a few times. You'll love it.

Also, you can hold down a button to fast-forward stuff you've heard before. It will automatically stop when it hits new dialogue. Very useful

BUMP.

Got this on my birthday at the beginning of August.

Started playing it on Sunday.

OH MAN IT'S SO GOOD. So far got two endings,
knife and sub

I'm going to follow the flowchart on GameFAQs now 'cause I don't want repeat endings, but at the same time...I feel bad 'cause it feels like cheating :C

But yeah, turns out I love games like this and Phoenix Wright. Which is weird 'cause I'm bad with books.

Any suggestions for similarly awesome games?

upandaway

BUMP.

Got this on my birthday at the beginning of August.

Started playing it on Sunday.

OH MAN IT'S SO GOOD. So far got two endings,
knife and sub

I'm going to follow the flowchart on GameFAQs now 'cause I don't want repeat endings, but at the same time...I feel bad 'cause it feels like cheating :C

But yeah, turns out I love games like this and Phoenix Wright. Which is weird 'cause I'm bad with books.

Any suggestions for similarly awesome games?
I'm also really terrible with books and I loved this and PW. You should look into more traditional VNs (the fantasy ones, not the sex romance ones), they're really similar to these games and I love them.

Also yeah you're good with the FAQ. I tried without, got one new ending by myself and then hit a repeat ending twice, which put me off the game for a week. It really sucks and not worth the no-FAQ-used badge, at all. It's not like you're using it for the puzzles.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
After hearing about the sequel coming to PAL-land, I imported this game. It plays fine on my Euro 3DS. Just had my first playthrough and got
the knife ending
. The plot is so gripping. It's like a Video Game version of the SAW movies.

After hearing about the sequel coming to PAL-land, I imported this game. It plays fine on my Euro 3DS. Just had my first playthrough and got
the knife ending
. The plot is so gripping. It's like a Video Game version of the SAW movies.
Keep going bro, it only gets better from here. That's the first ending I got as well. Instantly started a new game.

Got all the endings now and hoooly shit that was good. Wasnt sure about the
future telepathy whatever
stuff when it started happening but good god they pulled it off well.

The ending ending bit made me choke up slightly as well, with
Junpei and Akane on the hill, it made me think of me and my best friend and...yeah.

One question though:
who the actual fuck was Lotus? Everyone else made sense, except her.

hao chi

One question though:
who the actual fuck was Lotus? Everyone else made sense, except her.

Well her two daughters were part of the previous game, and I think they just wanted someone that was related to the game in some way. It probably also helped that since they used her instead of one of her daughters, they wouldn't have to come up with some method or incentive to keep her from sharing what she knows about their situation, like what they did with Seven, Clover, and Snake.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow....

Just got
the axe ending
. Never saw that twist coming. Time for playthrough #3.

Jawmuncher

So I finally beat 99 yesterday with all the endings.

I gotta say I loved the game and it's character however, that ending oh man it kinda pisses me off.

Maybe it's because I enjoyed the charcaters so much but I wanted Junpei to meet back up with June. I know that in actuality the ending is fine, but I just wanted so much more from it. It's been awhile since a game made me care this much about the characters in it.
*Just posting this from the Zero Escape Thread so I don't throw off the conversation there*

Also what was up with the other ending
Sub who killed everyone?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
For those that are waiting for VLR and want to re-play 999 or experience it for the first time, Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is now available :D

http://li.brari.us/2o

Store link:

http://www.aksysgames.com/store/

L1OKx.jpg

Banjoman

guys, GUYS
I already beat the game twice and now I'm on my third run. I'd like to restart another time because I know that I'm going to get an end that I already got. if I do so, all the choices and shit that I have been through during this third run will be anyway saved, even if I didn't complete it, or it will be like I never played that part of my third run?

guys, GUYS
I already beat the game twice and now I'm on my third run. I'd like to restart another time because I know that I'm going to get an end that I already got. if I do so, all the choices and shit that I have been through during this third run will be anyway saved, even if I didn't complete it, or it will be like I never played that part of my third run?

I believe that as long as you saved at any point during the game, that your choices will be saved as well. But push comes to shove, you can always just skip through the ending if you have already seen the dialogue. But if you can't skip it, you may get some info on some the characters that you might not have if you didn't go in that door order.

Coldsnap

I'm sorta confused on how you get different endings.. Can someone explain without spoiling?

I just finished my first play through last night. Started second immediately and now went through a different door in the beginning. Is it clear to know what you have to do in order to get a different ending? Don't want to play through this game like 11 times.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm sorta confused on how you get different endings.. Can someone explain without spoiling?

Take different routes, make different decisions. If you don't want to guess or got to the point where you got the same ending twice, there are spoiler-free guides out there to show you the routes.

Torraz

Just finished the game for the first time:

What an experience! Got a bad end:
the Knife end
. I am suspecting
.....Santa....
, due to the following reasons:
1. he was the one who warned Junpei of becoming too filled with hope etc. early on in the game. The last few lines before the very end referenced to this.
2. The digital root matches up in the case of 2 3 5 8 9. 9 dies in the very beginning. Upon death the watch detaches. Someone probably grabbed it. Perhaps snake, because he would be the one least grossed out, from all the gore, due to being blind. Snake is then taken care off later by Santa. He then calculates what other numbers he needs. For the rest of the game, in my case, Santa was with number 8 and Junpei (5), and had time to learn their weaknesses etc.

Just took a look at the true ending flowchart, and by chance, I actually took all the correct choices on my first playthrough...

Just finished the game for the first time:

What an experience! Got a bad end:
the Knife end
. I am suspecting
.....Santa....
, due to the following reasons:
1. he was the one who warned Junpei of becoming too filled with hope etc. early on in the game. The last few lines before the very end referenced to this.
2. The digital root matches up in the case of 2 3 5 8 9. 9 dies in the very beginning. Upon death the watch detaches. Someone probably grabbed it. Perhaps snake, because he would be the one least grossed out, from all the gore, due to being blind. Snake is then taken care off later by Santa. He then calculates what other numbers he needs. For the rest of the game, in my case, Santa was with number 8 and Junpei (5), and had time to learn their weaknesses etc.

Just took a look at the true ending flowchart, and by chance, I actually took all the correct choices on my first playthrough...

Interesting.... keep posting your impressions as you play through it more times! We all love living vicariously through new players. :D

Torraz

Hmm. At around 25% of my second playthrough. I'll have to stop, at least for today, soon, but I think I need to rethink my theory.
My solo-Santa theory does not explain how the [3] door was opened. You'd need a 12 so that you have 1 + 2 = [3]. 3 + 2 + the dead guys 9 != 12. Furthermore, in my 2nd playthrough, Snake said that he is pretty strong physically. Thus I am not sure if a single person, who is not Seven or Ace (they seem the biggest and strongest), could take him on, one-on-one. His hearing seems to be very good, making sneaking up on him by weaker opponents perhaps hard.

The only person who could make 3 + 2 + x = 12 is Seven. He doesn't really strike me as the killer though. On the one hand he is, together with Ace, the biggest physically, and he has these scars, but I feel it would almost be too obvious.

Other combinations would be: 4 + 6 + 2 = 12. Yeah, this one seems very unlikely. With June being portrayed as being nice and squeamish and Clover being Snake's little sister, I very much doubt that they killed Snake.

Another option would be Ace (1) + 9 + 2 = 12. I rejected this at first, but I keep coming back to it. The problem is that it relies on several assumptions.

1) the 9th man's watch survived the explosion
2) Ace was with Snake etc, so he could have seen snake take the watch, or he could have taken it himself. However, no one mentions anything regarding the survival of this watch.

Other possible indicators of Ace being involved:
1) He correctly identified the sleep medicine and correctly used it. Perhaps he has some medical knowledge?
2) The stabbing of Miss 8 was done very precisely, perhaps the possible medical background enabled Ace to do this?
3) On the other hand, as a big guy, would he need to insta-kill stab someone?
4) In the end, theoretically, Ace could have had 5 watches: 1 (his own), 2 (Snake's), (9'th guys) and 8 and 5 (murder at the end). 2 9 and 8 would allow him to use door 9. Junpei had bad luck in discovering the body of 8 and his own watch was not necessary.
5) Of course this depends on the survival of these watches in spite of the explosions that tore apart the victim's bodies (and twisted their limbs). Also, by accepting that the murderer could collect other watches one greatly expands what could have happened, without any proof...
6) Also, if Ace is the murderer and/or Zero, his "selfless act" of "sacrifice" would make sense. In that case he knew that everyone would be routed back to him sleeping, allowing him to regain his strenth for the possible murders to follow.
7) Finally, santa warned Junpei to suspect the person that seems least likely. Ace was constantly telling people to trust each other, and performed the selfless "sacrifice", gaining the reputation of a "good guy"

Looking forward to continuing this playthrough.

I think it's hold right on the D-pad, can't be sure though. It's some button.

Yes, hold right on the dpad (or circle pad).

Busaiku

So got through my 2nd ending, the
Submarine, after the Knife
I'm thinking it's
Santa or Ace, since they never confirmed whether they were dead or not. Leaning towards Ace, since in the Knife ending he would've had access to the 9th guy's watch, and being left behind, he could definitely do something to Snake when everyone else was off

I guess, it does make a lot more sense for
Ace, which I didn't even think of until now, for whatever reason, despite being so obvious (his staying behind).

I'm kinda rushing through these though.
I mean I'm still checking everything and trying to get all the dialogue I can, but still reading pretty fast and whatnot.
Just wanna get to that True Ending, where I'll take the time to read through everything again, even in the Escape sections.

Hopefully I can do that by Sunday, so I can be up to date with everyone in Virtue's Last Reward.
Though, I do have to admit, Clover being in that has made me somewhat sad about getting into this so late.

Torraz

At around 33% of my 2nd playthrough. Won't be able to play again until tonight (it's morning now)... Coursera courses updated, real life responsibilities etc... But, I thought some more while not being able to fall asleep ...

Some more evidence for Santa + Seven or Ace solo:

Seven also seems to have some chemical knowledge. He helped to identify chemicals during a certain puzzle. Chemistry and biology seems rather intrinisically linked, so he might also have good knowledge about biology, which I now think is even more important than yesterday.

First I thought this was only necessary for the stabbing part - but when I mentally reconstructed the murder of Snake, knowledge of the human body is a lot more important there.

-----reconstruction---
two suboptions:
1) The one the game points you to: This one is very similar to Mr 9. Snake gets tossed in is then prevented from leaving for 9 seconds. This murder could be accomplished by probably any 2+ man team (or ace/seven alone, due to their size/strength). BUT, what could the motive for this be? Is not the prime motive for killing snake to get his watch? The killers wouldn't get the watch this way. Thus, I have thought of a different scenario:

2) The killer(s) accompany snake inside the room. Then, they (or he) manage(s) to reach the DEAD before snake. The killer or killer(s) de-authenticate themselves. Here comes the problem!
The killer(s) have to
a) prevent snake from de-authenticating
b) keep him away from you so his explosion doesn't take the killer with him

While for mr 9 the narrator talked about his ribs being burst open, for Snake there was another clue. His legs were twisted/broken. The story implies the bomb did it, but looking at points a) and b), what if one of the big people (ace or seven (+santa)) who have physical strength and knowledge of the human bodies BROKE snake's legs and then dumped him behind the divider to stand clear of the explosion?

Thus, I think both seven and santa vs. ace solo are possibilities. Seven and Santa are presented a bit more rough (Santa = predicting tragedy, Seven = Amnesia, outburts, scars etc.), while Ace is presented as the kindly old man/uncle type. Thus, moving away from the inherent manipulation of the game, it could be Ace.

Hope to complete the second bad end today.

:edit:
One problem with Santa + Seven is that it does not explain why they kill Snake. 3 + 7 + 8(lotus) = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9. Lotus's murder checks out, but why kill Snake? In fact they would not need Mr 9's watch either.

For Ace 1 + 8 + 9 = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9. He also doesn't seem to need Snake's watch. This puts the motive into question. Perhaps it was to sow chaos, while publically calling upon the team members to keep calm (which usually ends in the opposite?)

hao chi

:edit:
One problem with Santa + Seven is that it does not explain why they kill Snake. 3 + 7 + 8(lotus) = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9. Lotus's murder checks out, but why kill Snake? In fact they would not need Mr 9's watch either.

For Ace 1 + 8 + 9 = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9. He also doesn't seem to need Snake's watch. This puts the motive into question. Perhaps it was to sow chaos, while publically calling upon the team members to keep calm (which usually ends in the opposite?)

Haha. Reading this reminds me of how I was doing a bunch of calculations in my head and on paper to try to figure out what was going on and how my playthrough would end. Good times.

Torraz

Well, just finished my second ending:
bad end - axe

Well damn,
My mind is full of fuck. I guess I was actually on the true ending path on the first playthrough (giving Clover the charm in order to prevent her from murdering everyone), but I didn't meet all the true end requirements.

Well, several interesting facts appeared - the existence of a 0 watch. This further indicates that Ace could be a / the killer. He could achieve 9 by:
a) 1 + 8 + 0 or
b) 1 + 8 + 9

Also, Ace seems smarter/brighter than it first appeared, as he managed to catch Junpei manipulating the vote. Also, he wanted Room 1 - where the 0 watch is, perhaps as an insurance in case the 9 watch breaks... Also, he lured Ms. 8 away, probably to kill her. Had Junpei followed he'd probably have received the knife end treatment, probably a more humane death than at the hand of ms. axe murderess.

Apparently the display of snake's watch cracked. For me it is yet unclear whether that means that his watch can be taken out of the caluclation past his death.

Going to go for the third bad end now, again using as many new, unseen rooms as I can, to further enrich the experience.

Torraz

Near the end of my third playthrough, another bad end.

Getting mixed feelings about June. When she told the story about how she volunteered to take care of the rabbits, they got killed, and the killer never showed up, I could only think of the worst.

Very interesting so far. Doors 3 and 2 had some very interesting backstory.

Worst puzzles by far though (containment rooms).

WHAT THE HECK
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD JUNPEI AND SEVEN EVEN JOKE ABOUT PLAYING DOCTOR WITH CLOVER

Be glad you're playing the US version. In the Japanese one they go a lot further into detail:
I'm just kidding I don't know what happens in the Japanese version

Torraz

Well finished, got the
Submarine
ending.

Well, that was quite a slaughter. This playthrough reminded me of umineko a bit.
One thing we learn, Lotus [8] was taken again, is that the killer truly has a hardon for her number/bracelet.

A question that has to be asked:
- can the white narrator text be believed? Are truly all the people who are proclaimed by the game as "dead", truly dead? Mr 9 seems obvious, however no one saw snake die. Did snake die, or was that a fake body with snakes clothing? More pressing, what about the three bodies, Ace, clover and Santa. Their death was not "confirmed" by an actor who, in the mystery genre, is qualified to make such an assessment. Ace could have heard them coming and played dead, for instance.
- Perhaps the killer has taken his/her own life etc.?

Dang, this game is good. Usually I replay 1 in 30 or even less games, and usually only partially, but I've replayed this game twice in around 1.5 days already.

In any case, according to the "memories" entry in the main menu of the game I have seen all but two rooms, so I should be able to nicely fast foraward from now on.

Dang, this game is good. Usually I replay 1 in 30 or even less games, and usually only partially, but I've replayed this game twice in around 1.5 days already.

In any case, according to the "memories" entry in the main menu of the game I have seen all but two rooms, so I should be able to nicely fast foraward from now on.

What's interesting too is rereading some text as you go through on multiple playthroughs, and reanalyzing it. Luckily fast-forwarding you can still read it pretty much, just keeping up.

And yeah, this game is fantastic... glad you got the ending you got. Each one adds a piece to the puzzle :D

Busaiku

Alright, so 3 endings down,
Knife, then Submarine, now Axe
Safe will mostly be skipped, so that's gonna be like 30 minutes or so.

Did not like
Axe
at all.
The other endings gave me a sense of suspense, which is always fun, but Clover just smashing everybody was not.
Still don't know what's up with Ace though, and it seems that he and Clover aren't really connected, given the other endings.
I guess this does clear up Santa though, and definitely has me down to Ace for Zero or whatever.

I did make some different dialogue choices throughout each run though.
Not the main choices, but the smaller things.

Does that affect the endings or anything though?

Torraz

Alright, so 3 endings down,
Knife, then Submarine, now Axe
Safe will mostly be skipped, so that's gonna be like 30 minutes or so.

Did not like
Axe
at all.
The other endings gave me a sense of suspense, which is always fun, but Clover just smashing everybody was not.
Still don't know what's up with Ace though, and it seems that he and Clover aren't really connected, given the other endings.
I guess this does clear up Santa though, and definitely has me down to Ace for Zero or whatever.

I did make some different dialogue choices throughout each run though.
Not the main choices, but the smaller things.

Does that affect the endings or anything though?

According to the floor chart there is only 1 path that leads to the correct ending + there are 4 choices on this path where you need to choose the correct option.

Top Bottom