• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Korigama

Wait, how long after is the sequel? She shouldn't be underage anymore by then right?
She wasn't underage in the first place (18 back in 999).

*wonders if Combine realizes that the artist, Kinu Nishimura, is a woman*

EDIT: It looks like it says she's 20 as of GPD.
彼女の年齢は20歳――れっきとした成人女性なのだ。 (Her age is 20 -- assuredly a fully-fledged adult woman.)
It was said to only have been a year after 999, so two birthdays between the events of both games I guess.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yay, Clover is はたち :) (hatachi/20 years old) AKA of legal drinking age/adult in Japan ;)

I have a feeling Alice would get her wasted for her birthday >.>

d0c_zaius

So I just fully beat 999 (all endings) during a marathon session over the weekend. I haven't been that enamored with a plot and set of characters since Killer 7 (which I love!). But I do have a bunch of questions not answered by FAQs, wikis and general internet detectiving:

Lotus - Why is she on the boat? If Akane really is Zero, why did she decide to basically torture Lotus? Her only connection is because of her children participating in the previous experiment, so why does Akane involve her at all? I'd also ask about the purpose of her outfit as it relates to her character, because it seems more random than the other characters. She also had these moments of anger that looked like it would become something later on.

Seven - He was convinced Akane died in the first experiment, but doesn't seem to be bothered at all by seeing an older Akane 9 years later when his memory comes back (or maybe I missed that).

Clover - Are the endings supposed to all be given the same weight? Or are there joke endings? Because in Clovers case, she goes from two extremes: murder or happy little girl.

Akane - A BILLION QUESTIONS. So she started to plan the next Nonary game after the end of the game? Wouldn't that cycle have ended by her living since they now changed time? It seems really odd that she would be so determined that she would torture a new set of people, and possibly have them kill each other, just so she could live. What is Jumpei talking about at the end of the game, right before it cuts to the ending?

Alice - I'm confused as to her relation to the plot as well as the picture at the end. I mean ...I literally have 0 idea about why Ice-9 is discussed or what the mummy has to do with Akane and the Nonary game.

Ace - Even though I love the plot, the idea of someone making a Nonary game to cure their lack of recognizing faces is totally insane :)

A great game. Can't wait for Good People Die!!!!!!!!!

Riposte

Lotus outfits come from the fact the artist behind the series likes drawing huge tits and weird outfits. I would argue that just about everyone is wearing some really freakish attire in the game, only that Lotus you could actually see in real life(in form of a stripper). 999's serious atmosphere and storytelling clashes hard with the outrageous character designs. The sequel will probably be the same(if it manages to capture the same effect that is. Graphics are real ugly so far. Music can save it though).

Ugh, I hate having to re-do the puzzles. I don't like having to guess what to say in order to trigger different paths later, either.

But I love the game otherwise. I have 3 of the endings so far. All of them negative. I'm guessing they're all negative.

Riposte

Ugh, I hate having to re-do the puzzles. I don't like having to guess what to say in order to trigger different paths later, either.

But I love the game otherwise. I have 3 of the endings so far. All of them negative. I'm guessing they're all negative.

You don't necessarily need to guess. Comparing the final results, observing what happens when people are separated from you, etc can give you some insight on what order you need to do. There is in fact a happy ending.

You don't necessarily need to guess. Comparing the final results, observing what happens when people are separated from you, etc can give you some insight on what order you need to do. There is in fact a happy ending.

Whew, good to know. Thanks for the info.

I might power through the rest of the endings tomorrow night, but I'm stuck in the middle of Dragon Quest V now. Not that anything's ever stopped me from abandoning and never finishing an RPG I love!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You can always refer to the non-spoiler ending flowchart if you need to.

Wow, this game completely blew me away. I wasn't expecting it to become one of my favorite games of all time when I got it, but it really did.

I got the coffin ending on my first time through, which was a huge mindfuck and just left me wanting more.

Second time through, I got the submarine, which was also pretty awesome. (I'm ashamed to mention I didn't pick up on the whole (true ending spoilers)
they didn't check Ace's pulse aspect
until reading through this thread).

Third time was knife, which was also pretty good. Then I hit a snag and got the same endings a couple of additional times (although that only took me about an hour or so due to fast forwarding) so I checked a guide for how to get the last three.

Axe was probably my least favorite ending, but it was still handled very well.

Safe and true were just...yeah. Holy shit, I can't recall my mind being blown so many times in a really long time, and they just handled everything perfectly. When I started putting the pieces together it was amazing. It's going to take some time for me to really process everything, but that was just great. Having to go to sleep without having finished the True ending was really hard.

This game definitely has cemented its place as one of the all time great video game stories, and I really loved the whole cast. Clover was my favorite, with Seven a close second, but all of the characters were amazing.

Clott

So glad this game is still blowing minds, I beat it over the summer and had a heck of a time. I would also say it may be one of my favorite games, in my top 15 at least.

Wichu

Just got the last ending. Mind = blown.

I disagree with the
coffin
ending being unnecessary. Sure, it's
repeated during the true ending
, but the point where it just 'clicks' would be more powerful IMO if
you've been at that point before

For the record, I got the endings in this order:
knife, sub, axe, coffin, safe, true

Requeim

I was also completely blown away by the endgame, and the game would probably top my mind-blown list of the year, had it not been for the fact that i also played Ever17 recently.

For now, it'll have to settle for second place :p. Only bad thing i can really say about this, is that the puzzles really should be skippable when you have completed them twice or something, at that point you just want to get on with story.

Finished my first playthrough yesterday and got the
axe
ending, which was just lol bad on so many levels. Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the game considering the GAF hype. The writing wasn't particularly great (the narrated segments read rather amateurishly), and I didn't really care for any of the characters. Puzzles were decent.
Killing off [9] early was a bit silly, and the early death of Snake was just disappointing. I actually liked him.
Still, I've already started a new game plus and plan to see some of the other endings, if not all. I wish the developers had taken a cue from the Ace Attorney series and allowed a d-pad only control option. Touch screen controls are not my favorite.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As stated earlier, it starts out underwhelming and then gets more and more whelming as you get more endings and piece together what the game is doing.

axe
ending, which was just lol bad on so many levels. Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the game considering the GAF hype. The writing wasn't particularly great (the narrated segments read rather amateurishly), and I didn't really care for any of the characters. Puzzles were decent.
Killing off [9] early was a bit silly, and the early death of Snake was just disappointing. I actually liked him.
Still, I've already started a new game plus and plan to see some of the other endings, if not all. I wish the developers had taken a cue from the Ace Attorney series and allowed a d-pad only control option. Touch screen controls are not my favorite.
You NEED to see all the endings before you even begin to judge the game, trust me.

Now that I finally have a copy of my own I‘ve been replaying the game. Man,
choosing door 3 will never not make me feel like a huge asshole, it‘s no wonder it always gets you the worst ending.

axe

i'd advise against judging the game until you know what's going on ( true end )..some things that seems rushed, amateurish given the context have a perfect valid reason (IMO).
And some paths provide a very good understanding toward the overall plot too

Okay, got my second ending
submarine
... the fuck? Now I'm really interested in what the fuck is going on. Four more endings to go.

Jintor

Alas, I'm in the same camp as you, giant fan that hopes some nice publisher picks it up >.<

Someone please pick it up, my nonary game thirst must be quenched ;-;

i'm banging my head against a wall at the thought of not getting this game :|

out of interest, who did the localisation? It was you dudes right?

Boney

Banned
Seeing this was a nice success on DS so late in it's life, a very late year release, and with the rampant piracy, it's weird seeing reservations for 3DS and Vita.

Sad really, here's to you gettin some luck!

iUyxKgttyTaGO.jpg

Shit, I'm glad this thread was bumped, I stopped playing 999, and I already got one
bad/sub
ending. I really should finish this puppy up before my break is over.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got the submarine ending on my first go. Interesting, but I guess I'd classify this as more of a digital novel than anything else. Having to replay puzzles is going to be a tad annoying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot how fucking cool the ending system in this game was. Is there any other game that even attempts to do what this game does?

Omikaru

Got the submarine ending on my first go. Interesting, but I guess I'd classify this as more of a digital novel than anything else. Having to replay puzzles is going to be a tad annoying.

It's not so bad. The solutions don't change, and you can skim past any dialogue you've read before. The game is very good at letting you burn through the whole thing on re-runs.

Top Bottom