• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors |OT| RED, DEAD, Redemption

Shirokun

Zafir said:
Edit: Eitherway I hate having to redo puzzles you've already done once. :/ While I already know how to solve them, it's annoying having to take the time to do it again.

I won't disagree with you, but the puzzles should take only a fraction of the time on the replay(s). Put up with it. It's worth it IMO.

upandaway

Zafir said:
It won't. Because I already realise that you have to play through it multiple times to truely see the full story. I've played games before like it too. It's just how I word things. Completing one playthrough means completing regardless. Fully completed means seeing it all.

Edit: Eitherway I hate having to redo puzzles you've already done once. :/ While I already know how to solve them, it's annoying having to take the time to do it again.
It's really stupid, but there are some that for arbitrary reasons can be fully skipped if you know the final code from when you first solved it (and if you don't remember, just look it up).

I wish it was like that for every single puzzle, but it's only for a few.

It would have been nice to include a skip feature for puzzles you'd already completed. They really don't want the player to miss new dialogue though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zafir said:
It won't. Because I already realise that you have to play through it multiple times to truely see the full story. I've played games before like it too. It's just how I word things. Completing one playthrough means completing regardless. Fully completed means seeing it all.

No, he's right - your perspective on all this will change after you've gone through the true ending. Then you'll see why we're all saying that "completing" the game to get one of the endings is more akin to just finishing a chapter and getting a cutscene.

_dementia said:
It would have been nice to include a skip feature for puzzles you'd already completed. They really don't want the player to miss new dialogue though.
That and some puzzles involve conversation choices that will have an effect on the branching.

Tiktaalik

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a bunch of people telling me that this game is quite good I certainly would be selling it.

The first ending I got was a complete garbage, nonsensical conclusion
everyone is knifed for no reason
which was a bit irksome but not a terribly big deal since I recognized that there are multiple endings. I started again and went on a completely different path expecting a longer playthrough and more stimulating story, but nope even though I did a completely different set of actions I got THE EXACT SAME GARBAGE ENDING. What a utter waste of time.

I'm about to start another playthrough but I'm strongly leaning toward simply googling the exact steps I have to do in order to make this game as compelling as some say it is. I simply am not all that interested in wasting any more of my time.

Korigama

Tiktaalik said:
If it wasn't for the fact that I have a bunch of people telling me that this game is quite good I certainly would be selling it.

which was a bit irksome but not a terribly big deal since I recognized that there are multiple endings. I started again and went on a completely different path expecting a longer playthrough and more stimulating story, but nope even though I did a completely different set of actions I got THE EXACT SAME GARBAGE ENDING. What a utter waste of time.

I'm about to start another playthrough but I'm strongly leaning toward simply googling the exact steps I have to do in order to make this game as compelling as some say it is. I simply am not all that interested in wasting any more of my time.
Never go through door
, or you'll see
the sub ending
every time. I should also mention that there was an explanation for what happened during it (part of the reason for seeing all of the endings is answering questions that come up, while also presenting new ones; the idea is to get all of them to see the full picture).

Getting bad endings is just part of the experience, so try not to get discouraged. Keep playing.

upandaway

Tiktaalik said:

To be honest getting an ending I already got felt way worse than the price of looking it up. It only took me 1 duplicate ending to start asking in the thread and looking up the rest.

Some people are wizards and thus they can get all endings naturally but us mortals can't do that.

Tiktaalik

Having multiple endings is very cool and a great way to add replayability, but man if I did different shit don't give me the same ending. Garbage game design.

edit: Thanks for the small "school yard" hint Korigama. Will abide on my next play through.

Instro

Focus on going to doors that you have been in yet. You had incredibly bad luck if you managed to get the same ending twice, at least this early on anyway.

Tiktaalik said:
Having multiple endings is very cool and a great way to add replayability, but man if I did different shit don't give me the same ending. Garbage game design.

Garbage ending for a garbage player! there I said it!

seriously though if you're going this mad over it, you might just want to ditch the game, it doesn't sound like it's for you

NEO0MJ

Something funny that occurred to me recently. Major spoilers.

I find it funny that Ace won in all but the true ending and the safe ending. My guess is that he even won in the coffin ending as Junpie never came and so he killed everyone he didn't need.

Korigama

NEO0MJ said:
Something funny that occurred to me recently. Major spoilers.

I find it funny that Ace won in all but the true ending and the safe ending. My guess is that he even won in the coffin ending as Junpie never came and so he killed everyone he didn't need.
(Also major spoilers below)

It would've only been a short-lived victory, though: he still wouldn't have been able to escape as a result of the whole 9 = q thing.

luffeN

Damn, I only got the
submarine ending
myself. Can anyone tell me about the 2nd ending? I watched the rest on youtube :/

Shirokun

luffeN said:
Damn, I only got the
submarine ending
myself. Can anyone tell me about the 2nd ending? I watched the rest on youtube :/

You watched all the endings on youtube? Not sure that it's such a wise thing to do with this game. I can't imagine the game being the same fantastic experience.

NEO0MJ

luffeN said:
Damn, I only got the
submarine ending

The second ending is really part of the true ending. If you don't get the safe ending and try to get the true ending instead of continuing the game when you reach door 9 you'll not get past it and so can't see the true ending. It will end with Junpie wondering what's inside the coffin.

luffeN

Shirokun said:
You watched all the endings on youtube? Not sure that it's such a wise thing to do with this game. I can't imagine the game being the same fantastic experience.

haha I know! but I gave it to a friend and deleted the save file :D I really want to play all the puzzles and stuff, maybe later on, but there are too many other games :/
NEO0MJ said:
The second ending is really part of the true ending. If you don't get the safe ending and try to get the true ending instead of continuing the game when you reach door 9 you'll not get past it and so can't see the true ending. It will end with Junpie wondering what's inside the coffin.
Thanks! And
do we know what is inside the coffing? Is it the Sphinx maybe?

NEO0MJ

luffeN said:
Thanks! And
do we know what is inside the coffing? Is it the Sphinx maybe?

There are actaully two 9 doors. The first is entered by Santa, June, Ace and Lotus. Next to the second door 9 is a coffin with a lock on it. If you finished the safe ending you'll get the code that unlocks it and inside it is Snake, who was hidden there by Zero to protect him for Ace. With Snake you can open door 9 and then reach the true ending.

Crazetex

Proof that you can both be nerdy and pay attention to celebrity gossip: Sean Maher (the guy who played Simon Tam on Firefly) came out a few days ago, and somehow this relates to 999.

-He has been in a relationship with a man for nine years

-“Sean Maher” has nine letters in his name (and if you took each name’s length - 4 and 5 - for the number 45, that is a multiple of 9 and has a digital root of 9)

-He came out to Entertainment Weekly in September, the ninth month (“September” also has nine letters)

-He is 36 years old - a multiple of 9 (and all multiples of 9 have 9 as their digital root)

-It has been nine years since Firefly, the (terrific) show that put him in his best-known role, Simon Tam (fun fact: Firefly first aired in September)

Tumblr post

I guess the idea is that Sean Maher is the Ninth Man?

Jazzem

Every once in a while I get reminded of how much I loved this game...and then I go listening to some of the soundtrack on youtube haha.

Definitely want to replay it at some point, though I think I'll save it for a while. Still, what an amazing experience, flaws and all.

Jazzem

vitacola said:
I hope they will find a European publisher this time ...

If not, it's Vita version or bust for us EU gamers.

...Basically determines whether or not I get a Vita :p (or at the very least sooner as opposed to later)

Akselziys said:
So awesome :D I love when people come out of the experience loving it as much as myself <3

If you haven't already, check out the post-mortem Q/A interview with Kotaro Uchikoshi :D

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

And if you haven't seen this already:

http://zendesu.chunsoft.jp/

I need to play that so badly ;-; It needs to come out yesterday XD

HOLY FUCK. Is that a sequel or what is that? And you guys are localizing that right? :mad:

XiaNaphryz said:

I haven't been on the gaming side much. This is probably my favorite game this gen, I can't wait for that.

Edit: Just finished reading that thread. I'm glad other people are holding aksel personally responsible if it doesn't come over. And I absolutely demand a preorder bonus with the updated braclet just like the last one! :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
HOLY FUCK. Is that a sequel or what is that? And you guys are localizing that right? :mad:

Where have you been is right XD

And hopefully someone is nice enough to localize this because I really want to play it ;-;

Looks so awesome <3 Unfortunately a Japanese release date hasn't been announced yet >.<

Akselziys said:
Where have you been is right XD

And hopefully someone is nice enough to localize this because I really want to play it ;-;

Looks so awesome <3 Unfortunately a Japanese release date hasn't been announced yet >.<

Simultaneous US/Japanese release!?!?!?!? :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Simultaneous US/Japanese release!?!?!?!? :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

You'd have to ask the whichever publisher that may possibly pick this up for US localization about that >.<

I'd buy it day 1 regardless XD

*Wishes on a star that someone picks the game up for localization* ~&#9734;

Akselziys said:
You'd have to ask the whichever publisher that may possibly pick this up for US localization about that >.<

I'd buy it day 1 regardless XD

*Wishes on a star that someone picks the game up for localization* ~&#9734;

I'll just pretend you said you will release it simultaneously! :D YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we just have to convince you to make the new bracelets!

luffeN said:
Damn, I only got the
submarine ending

Why would you do that to yourself?

edit:

Also I forget, what is
q's digital root?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
_dementia said:
I really hope it gets localized too.

What are my other options for chunsoft VNs released in English?

Have there been other Chunsoft VNs released in English...?

Can't think of any other than 999 XD;

Korigama

Obsessed said:
Also I forget, what is
q's digital root?

(major spoilers, DON'T READ IF STILL PLAYING)

8. q = 26, the sum of the bracelets for everyone remaining in the incinerator after June, Santa, and Ace are no longer there (2 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 = 26 = 2 + 6 = [8])

I started playing this game a few days ago, I got to my first ending.
The submarine ending. Holy shit, that was depressing. I didn't expect everyone to be murdered! I am loving this game, time to get the other (hopefully) non-depressing endings!

Yeah, I've played through this game 3 times and gotten three different garbage endings. My love for this game is quickly turning into annoyance.

frequency

Fourth Storm said:
Yeah, I've played through this game 3 times and gotten three different garbage endings. My love for this game is quickly turning into annoyance.
The game is kind of about playing through multiple times and making different decisions. All the different paths and endings tie together eventually in a pretty great way.

frequency said:
The game is kind of about playing through multiple times and making different decisions. All the different paths and endings tie together eventually in a pretty great way.

Thanks for the support haha. I have gotten that vibe and am filling in more blanks with each playthrough, but at this point, I'm a bit worn out. I'd put it down for a while, but it's becoming an obsession. Despite its surface resemblance to SAW and some slightly cheesy sounding exposition here and there, the story has me HOOKED!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yeah,
each ending is like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and the puzzle will only be complete once you have put together all the pieces :)

Trying to find a copy of this for Under $30 now that I have a DS. Gamestops's website says they have "new" copies at my local store. Hopefully I will come home with a copy today.

Top Bottom