• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Robb Stark, hell I still love him. His story just resonated with me, as a fellow big brother in a large family. I still remember the exact moment I read that chapter. I put the book down and went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch some game, then came back home feeling slightly better and read the Arya chapter ha

I really hope TWOW lives up to expectations. There are so many strands from ASOS that have not been addressed, such as all the characters who took Robb's decree to Howland Reed. Or what the Liddle and other Northern clans will do about Bran, if anything; they certainly know he's alive and many saw him.

The cover image for the new edition of the RPG game is rad.

J9u7Z.jpg

The prologue and epilogue characters have all died haven't they? I'm not sure if that supports my theory or shoots it down entirely.

This is not entirely true is it? Pate is in the prologue in AFFC, but Sam ends up meeting him at the Citadel IIRC? - Speaking of which; I never really understood what happened to Pate at the end of the prologue of book four?

gutshot

This is not entirely true is it? Pate is in the prologue in AFFC, but Sam ends up meeting him at the Citadel IIRC? - Speaking of which; I never really understood what happened to Pate at the end of the prologue of book four?

In the prologue, Pate is killed by The Alchemist (a Faceless Man, most likely the one we met earlier as Jaqen H'ghar) who then assumes his identity. When "Pate" appears at the end of AFFC, it is actually The Alchemist/Jaqen posing as Pate in order to infiltrate the Citadel for reasons as-yet unknown.

In the prologue, Pate is killed by The Alchemist (a Faceless Man, most likely the one we met earlier as Jaqen H'ghar) who then assumes his identity. When "Pate" appears at the end of AFFC, it is actually The Alchemist/Jaqen posing as Pate in order to infiltrate the Citadel for reasons as-yet unknown.

Whoa, mind blown. Was this obvious? How the hell did I miss this...

Mordeccai

I still don't see how antlers on a helmet could be anything but a liability.

Same thing with a dogs head helmet, that shit would limit your vision so much.

Guess that doesn't matter though when you're giant and encased in a metal suit, capable of shrugging off all but the most felling of blows.

God, I love the Cleganes. Hopefully Sandor gets some time in TWOW.

Puddles

Banned
Same thing with a dogs head helmet, that shit would limit your vision so much.

Guess that doesn't matter though when you're giant and encased in a metal suit, capable of shrugging off all but the most felling of blows.

God, I love the Cleganes. Hopefully Sandor gets some time in TWOW.

I hope that my prediction comes true.

Lancel Lannister champions the Faith in Cersei's trial and defeats Bob Strong.

Sandor Clegane is elected as President of the First Republic of Westeros after Tyrion and Dany abolish the monarchy.

Pate (really a Faceless Man) and Sam work together at the Citadel to create a steam engine which is used to power the first airship.

Hodor rides the third dragon.

Not really. The description of The Alchemist matches the description of Jaqen after he transforms in front of Arya. But you'd really have to go back and check to notice the similarities.

thanks for this. i think i completely missed this. i think ill reread the series when TWOW is close, hopefully i pick up on some of the implications and more subtle stuff i missed.

I hope that my prediction comes true.

Lancel Lannister champions the Faith in Cersei's trial and defeats Bob Strong.

Sandor Clegane is elected as President of the First Republic of Westeros after Tyrion and Dany abolish the monarchy.

Pate (really a Faceless Man) and Sam work together at the Citadel to create a steam engine which is used to power the first airship.

Hodor rides the third dragon.

i can never tell when you are joking with your predictions. i do enjoy reading them though.

One, Widow's Wail, was given to Joffrey, but since he died, Tommen has inherited it. Brienne has the other, Oath Keeper.

Wow, that ended up being forshadowment didn't it, not that Margaery was really wailing or anything.

One question, if Sandor is alive is he still a member of the Kingsguard? How awesome would it be if he showed up to champion The Faith/Margaery at Cersei's trial.

Dresden

One question, if Sandor is alive is he still a member of the Kingsguard? How awesome would it be if he showed up to champion The Faith/Margaery at Cersei's trial.

I think he's forsaken all his old affiliations, the name Sandor Clegane is dead to him.

Him championing the Faith against Cersei's Gregorstein is too perfect, though. I want it to happen but something has to go wrong before it does.

Puddles

Banned
I was just thinking: HBO didn't really have much a choice when it came to spending some cash on the Battle of the Blackwater.

A good portion of A Clash of Kings is about this diabolical master plan that Tyrion is cooking up, and as readers we don't even know what it is until it happens. Why is he having the blacksmiths build a massive fucking chain? Why is he spending so much time talking to the Maesters about Wildfire? What's going on?

After all that buildup, not showing the battle would be showrunner suicide.

I think he's forsaken all his old affiliations, the name Sandor Clegane is dead to him.

Him championing the Faith against Cersei's Gregorstein is too perfect, though. I want it to happen but something has to go wrong before it does.

I do think we'll get a Sandor vs Gregor battle, but it won't be at the trial. Bob Strong is going to crush whoever he goes up against. The battle we want will probably happen in the final third of Book 7.

I do think we'll get a Sandor vs Gregor battle, but it won't be at the trial. Bob Strong is going to crush whoever he goes up against. The battle we want will probably happen in the final third of Book 7.

You guys are probably right, it seems like Cersei is destined to last until the final book (based on her childhood prophecy at least) and if she loses at her trial she's as good as dead. Poor Margaery is probably going to be the one to go even though she seems to be more than a match for Cersei wits wise.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Probably still alive. The dude talking about The Hound being dead I'm sure also said he himself had "died" after a battle so dunno how to literal he is.

SaskBoy

I thought the Hound was dead for sure? That Monk dude Brienne was talking to said he buried the body himself. He left the helm though, which is how Rorge got it.

Pkaz01

He said the Hound is dead but Sandor is at peace. Also Stranger was with them also. and then Brienne sees the big guy with the hurt leg digging graves.

and I remember reading that GRRM was basically quoted saying Sandor's story isn't done yet.

fbi

Banned
I thought the Hound was dead for sure? That Monk dude Brienne was talking to said he buried the body himself. He left the helm though, which is how Rorge got it.

huh? I thought it was completely obvious that the hound is still alive but choose the life of peace with the monks on the island.

oh and I just finished ADWD so it's good to finally be able to come into this thread.

Mordeccai

Thanks for this! These are sooo awesome.

This one particularly:
eQ3Ny.jpg

I have to say one of the things in this series that interests me most is Berric Dondarrion... he just dies all these obvious and brutal deaths, only to come back and troll everybody. And I forgot how epic the fight between him and Sandor was. I really didn't know who I wanted to win while I was reading it :/

Random:"But I SAW him hanging from that tree! Literally!"
Lightning Lord: "lol"

Also, can somebody explain Bob Strong to me? When I read Dance I thought they had found a new character/badass to introduce... but it seems some of you are talking about him like he's really just an existing character with a different name.

ultron87

Also, can somebody explain Bob Strong to me? When I read Dance I thought they had found a new character/badass to introduce... but it seems some of you are talking about him like he's really just an existing character with a different name.

He is almost certainly the Mountain 'healed' by Qyburn's crazy experiments.

Nothing is known for sure, but he doesn't eat, sleep, talk, so because of his size, a lot of people think he's an undead Gregor.

Mordeccai

Holy shit mind blown. That plot with the skull flew right over my head then, I thought it was actually Gregors skull.

That actually explains a lot of the "screaming" that is referenced coming from Qyburns lair.

So wait.... how do these "undead" tie into the bigger picture? You all have any ideas? I mean, we've got Cat, now Gregor, Berric, I'm sure I'm missing another one, but I have a suspicion now that they'll have a big hand in something when the Others and wights fall upon Westeros.

Holy shit mind blown. That plot with the skull flew right over my head then, I thought it was actually Gregors skull.

That actually explains a lot of the "screaming" that is referenced coming from Qyburns lair.

So wait.... how do these "undead" tie into the bigger picture? You all have any ideas? I mean, we've got Cat, now Gregor, Berric, I'm sure I'm missing another one, but I have a suspicion now that they'll have a big hand in something when the Others and wights fall upon Westeros.

Didn't Beric give his life so that Cat could live?....also, I really hate the concept of Zombie Cat; I wish she had just remained dead.

He did? Can someone explain how that all happened?

I liked it when characters remained dead.

im pretty sure when they found cat's body in the river near the frey's he breathed his last life into her and died permanently.

and i am also pretty sure that bob strong is the mountain, but i dont know what that means for the head that was sent to dorne. some random large person?

He did? Can someone explain how that all happened?

I liked it when characters remained dead.

IIRC it was explained in AFFC that the Red Priest would not bring Cat back to life b/c she had been dead for too long, but Beric gave her the kiss transferring his life from hers and she arose.

Didn't Beric give his life so that Cat could live?....also, I really hate the concept of Zombie Cat; I wish she had just remained dead.

I see a lot of people saying this but I don't understand what's so wrong about Zombie Cat. I hope that the story doesn't have her actually running into any of the Stark children but I think she's a great revenge vehicle for the story and the groundwork for the undead has been laid down since the first book.

I wonder what happened to Jaime after when we lost his perspective in ADWD. I think Jaime became my favorite character over the course of the last 3 novels. Really hoping that he is not dead, though I wouldn't really put it past GRRM to kill him off due to a misunderstanding / Catelyn not realizing (or probably caring about) his change.

Have we seen any other character in this series change as radically as Jaime has? The character arc reminds me of Gaius in Battlestar Galactica...a supremely selfish individual who slowly but harshly is forced to come to the realization that there is more to life than his own needs, and who in the end learns how to act altruistically. If you look at it from the perspective of where Jaime began in the novels, some of his recent actions (with Brienne, his recent reactions to his sister, how he acted after returning to King's Landing, how he proceeds at Riverrun) are the most truly heroic that we have seen in the sense that he has had to take the effort to rethink every one of those situations from how he would have approached them in the past.

KingGondo

Banned
No way he's dead. At the very least, we'll get a couple more chapters before he's offed.

Either that, or he and Brienne find a way to convince Lady Stoneheart to let them do her bidding.

Jaime is one of those characters like Jon or Dany that definitely has a role to play in the remaining story arcs. I could see him killing another king (Aegon?) before it's all said and done.

calza

I just read the Tales of Dunk and Egg. All the Blackfyre stuff makes me think that Aegon is one for sure.

Has there been anything said about when to expect the next one?

gutshot

I just read the Tales of Dunk and Egg. All the Blackfyre stuff makes me think that Aegon is one for sure.

Has there been anything said about when to expect the next one?

Apparently GRRM is finished with the story. However, the publisher hasn't announced a firm date for Warriors II, the anthology it will be published in. It should be out sometime this year though.

calza

Apparently GRRM is finished with the story. However, the publisher hasn't announced a firm date for Warriors II, the anthology it will be published in. It should be out sometime this year though.

That is fantastic, is it a common consensus that Martin is hinting at the return of Blackfyre or is he just filling out the history?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, highlight of SoS so far is definitely Jaime for me. Watching my perception of him twisted from violent asshole to something much more complicated and possibly even someone I can root for has been really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom