• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ænima

I can finally join this thread!
Loved GoT the TV series, had never heard of it before, so i got the books, spent the past few months reading them all.

What a colossal waste of fucking time.
I can't tell you how much i wish i'd never bothered, and just continued to watch the TV adaptation, which has now been kinda ruined as it holds no surprises.
If they follow the books closely, so many people are going to be furious, as even now i see people in the non-spoiler TV thread expecting characters to meet up, fight, etc, when instead they die off screen or pointlessly when Martin got fuckiing bored and wanted to introduce yet a-fucking'nother new character he could eventually forget about.

Further thoughts when i get over my rage.
Agreed. Martin has really lost control of the series, and I don't think he will ever get it back.

Oh and one last thing about GRRM's writing and the TV show's timeline...he needs to have TWOW done by 2017, but even that only gives him a year for ADOS. Ideally (lol not happening) it'd be TWOW in 2014 and ADOS in 2017.

As has been said in this thread before, I fully expect HBO to pass him and finish it if they find themselves in a position to do so.

ZeroRay

He better have TWOW be another SOS and take up 2 seasons.

That'll give him some extra time, as long he stopped taking every request for an interview/appearance.

Vespene

The problem with the book timeline is that for the first 3 books, the themes and threads were inspired by the War of the Roses. The story of Dany coming to Westeros was going to replace those themes by the 4th book going on to the 7th. He fucked it up when he changed his plan by making stories to bridge the two themes, which are not following any particular theme, structure or inspiration.

Fucking hell, I finally mustered up the will to reread Dance, and i can't find my bloody copy. The paper back doesn't come out until July i think, conflicted if i should wait or not.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Never have i read anything so cliffhanger-centric. Not even close.
I can deal with a cliffhanger or two at the end of a book, he prefers 10+, AND a fucking cliffhanger at the end of almost every chapter.

The man is obsessed, it wouldn't surprise me if the very end is nothing but unanswered cliffhangers. Or maybe he's going for the Ultimate Cliffhanger finishing move and dragging it all out hoping that he dies leaving all the stories unanswered.

I've only just hit this thread and read one page. Is utter steaming fury, and regret at reading the books frowned upon here? I don't wanna piss anyone off.
But man, now i've hit the final available book with god knows how long before any continuation.... i'm pissed.
And Jon, Stannis, what was the fucking point of it all?!

To be fair to him it wasn't GRRM's desire to end with so many cliffhangers. His editors made him drop lots of stuff from the end of the book.

You people are worrying about season 6+? For fucks sake it would be a miracle if it even went that long! George will do what he do and if by that same miracle the showrunners think they might catch up, having some breathing room to tell such a complex story is not a bad thing. But honestly, these aren't soprano numbers, enjoy what we get!

Fucking hell, I finally mustered up the will to reread Dance, and i can't find my bloody copy. The paper back doesn't come out until July i think, conflicted if i should wait or not.
It took me awhile to muster it up as well and it was worth it. The lows make the highs that much sweeter still and knowing fan theories adds a new dimension to it.

To be fair to him it wasn't GRRM's desire to end with so many cliffhangers. His editors made him drop lots of stuff from the end of the book.

He ends his chapters on cliffhangers all the time, it's one of his most notable writing techniques. Maybe it comes from his TV history, but he loves cliffhangers and it's not because of his editor.\

I've only just hit this thread and read one page. Is utter steaming fury, and regret at reading the books frowned upon here? I don't wanna piss anyone off.
Zephyr is still banned right? You should be fine then.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
He ends his chapters on cliffhangers all the time, it's one of his most notable writing techniques. Maybe it comes from his TV history, but he loves cliffhangers and it's not because of his editor.

You're right but back in ASOS it was all fucking awesome. I don't think it's the same as how ADWD ended which was the doing of the editors. Of course that was indirectly because the book became so long.

Veelk

Banned
I can deal with a cliffhanger or two at the end of a book, he prefers 10+, AND a fucking cliffhanger at the end of almost every chapter.

The man is obsessed, it wouldn't surprise me if the very end is nothing but unanswered cliffhangers. Or maybe he's going for the Ultimate Cliffhanger finishing move and dragging it all out hoping that he dies leaving all the stories unanswered.

But man, now i've hit the final available book with god knows how long before any continuation.... i'm pissed.

THAT is your problem with the books? Cliffhangers are in most books, they're there in order to keep you reading. GRRM just happens to have several plots going on at once, so duh, several cliffhangers. And to say that's hoping to die before finishing off the books is in extremely poor taste. Cliffhangers tend to stop only when the series is finished.

As for Jon and Stannis, even if they ARE dead (read up on theories, that will cool some of your rage. At the very least, we know
Stannis
is alive in the next book.), the point of it is that their storylines have come to an end because things didn't work out for them. Sorry if you were expecting a happy ending, but ASoIaF makes it a point that not everyone always wins.

chiQ

You can be mad.

a62c7378.jpg

You're right but back in ASOS it was all fucking awesome. I don't think it's the same as how ADWD ended which was the doing of the editors. Of course that was indirectly because the book became so long.

It's not new, and it works well a lot of the time. But I can understand the thought that he goes to that well a bit too often.

God he was annoying, I've never seen a bigger apologist.
He's still fighting the good fight at something awful, so he hasn't given up yet.

bengraven

Loved GoT the TV series, had never heard of it before, so i got the books, spent the past few months reading them all.

I can't tell you how much i wish i'd never bothered, and just continued to watch the TV adaptation, which has now been kinda ruined as it holds no surprises.
If they follow the books closely, so many people are going to be furious, as even now i see people in the non-spoiler TV thread expecting characters to meet up, fight, etc, when instead they die off screen or pointlessly when Martin got fuckiing bored and wanted to introduce yet a-fucking'nother new character he could eventually forget about.

tyrion-o.gif

bengraven

It's honestly not that bad. Just a little bump. Things get much better toward the end of Dance. Though that book also was forced to be edited.

Honestly I hesitate to recommend the series to people who liked the show because I know they won't like the later books

It was much easier to recommend when the series was just the first 3. Back then you recommend it to someone and once they're done the usual response was, "Holy shit! That was so fucking awesome!"

After AFFC they weren't quite as enthusiastic, "It was pretty good, but the last book kind of sucked."

ezrarh

It was much easier to recommend when the series was just the first 3. Back then you recommend it to someone and once they're done the usual response was, "Holy shit! That was so fucking awesome!"

After AFFC they weren't quite as enthusiastic, "It was pretty good, but the last book kind of sucked."

I don't even recommend the books anymore after how ADWD turned out unless people ask me about them. Can't be a crazy fanboy after that. Hopefully TWoW will return to the pace of ASoS.

Ikael

How was the secret Targ heavily foreshadowed? I've only read through once, so I may have missed it, but the only foreshadowing I caught was the "mummer's dragon". It just seems like it would've been so easy to slip in Illyrio making a vague reference to "the boy" or something in his Book 1 convo with Varys if you really wanted to hint at it. That scene referenced so much of what was to become ADwD but made no reference to Aegon.

As for Varys himself, I hope the Varys Blackfyre theories don't end up being true. It would be pretty lame to have the whole series hinge on a historical even that isn't really clearly explained outside of the short stories. And he just doesn't seem like someone who would be so motivated by family loyalty. I really just believe Varys when he says he wants what's good for the realm. That and his story about how he hates magic are really the only times I've ever felt like he's being earnest. I think he really believes that he can make things better for everyone by having this boy he's raised to be a perfect king. The Targaryen name is just the only way he has to make the people accept his perfect king.

The mummer's dragon prophecy, the theories about the fate of the other brothers of Daenerys that were floating way before ADWD came out... I don't think that Griffin was an afterthought at all, specially because Griffin is the resolution of the Varys plot. He is Varys's creation and his ultimate goal. We always wondered who Varys side was, and lo and behold, it is Griffin. IMHO, Varys is one of the few characters with a true statesman mind. His goal was, avobe all, the good governance of Westeros. And Griffin is the catalysis of that, the kind of "perfect prince" touted by Machiavello.That's why I don't feel that the Griffin plot line is an afterthought, because I think of it like an extension of the Varys storyline.

I dunno.

I really think Daenerys should go back to Meereen. I still think she can get it all sorted out if she tries really hard.

Also, she should marry Daario because he's sooooooo dreamy.

Veelk

Banned
Pfft. Feast and Dance were fine. They just weren't as fast paced as the first 3 were, for pretty obvious reasons. Things are winding down now, the war is over, but stories are still progressing in their usual way. It's not what people expect, I know, because I felt something was off the first time I read them as well. Then I reread the series and Feast read much better the second time around. Do that, and if you still have issues then, then come back and tell us.

Then I reread the series and Feast read much better the second time around. Do that, and if you still have issues then, then come back and tell us.

No, he doesn't have to reread the books before he can dislike them. Hell, my reread of AFFC lowered my opinion of it and made me realize just how bloated and structureless it is.

Veelk

Banned
No, he doesn't have to reread the books before he can dislike them. Hell, my reread of AFFC lowered my opinion of it and made me realize just how bloated and structureless it is.

It's just a suggestion. It certainly made me appreciate the book more and has for many others, though not all.

Anyway, it wasn't nearly as bloated as many make it out to be. The entirety of Dany's stay in Quarth in Clash of Kings could have been cut down significantly, but I never see anyone complain about that. There isn't that much more in feast that can be cut down than there is in the other books.

Pfft. Feast and Dance were fine. They just weren't as fast paced as the first 3 were, for pretty obvious reasons. Things are winding down now, the war is over, but stories are still progressing in their usual way. It's not what people expect, I know, because I felt something was off the first time I read them as well. Then I reread the series and Feast read much better the second time around. Do that, and if you still have issues then, then come back and tell us.

I think the reason it felt off is because there were too many separate storylines and few of them actually intersect. From a reading stand point (also, from someone who read 1-5 continuously) I didn't mind this too much. However, I have no idea how they will film season 5-6 (Feast and Dance) while keeping the viewers interested. By this point we'll have 10 different stories from characters across the world and I think viewers will be pissed that instead of getting any form of resolution to these arcs, we just get more characters and more separate story lines.

jett

D-Member

lolz.

GRRM kind of lost the plot along the way but the first three books are amazing and I certainly don't regret getting into the series.

Azrael

It's just a suggestion. It certainly made me appreciate the book more and has for many others, though not all.

Anyway, it wasn't nearly as bloated as many make it out to be. The entirety of Dany's stay in Quarth in Clash of Kings could have been cut down significantly, but I never see anyone complain about that. There isn't that much more in feast that can be cut down than there is in the other books.

Dany had 5 chapters in ACoK and 10 in ADwD, only 1 of which was enjoyable to read.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dany had 5 chapters in ACoK and 10 in ADwD, only 1 of which was enjoyable to read.

I think I'd probably call it 3. The first (?) one where she was presiding over court and the dude showed up with the dead kid was good enough. The fighting pits one was awesome, and the last was interesting as it actually featured plot development.

Dany is definitely the worst thing about ADWD, by far. And I liked her chapters in the previous books.

Word. The change was staggering, even though i agree with those that say she is now more in line with what we expect from a teenage girl rather than this all conquering badass heroine.

Randdalf

To be fair, The Winds Of Winter is set up to be even more action packed then the second half of A Storm Of Swords. Seriously, let's list all the stuff that has to happen:
- Battle of Winterfell
- Battle of Meereen
- Cersei's Trial
- Jaime & Brienne going to meet Stoneheart
- Sansa being wedded (possibly)
- Aegon sieging Storm's End
- Jon Snow's fate
- What the khalasar does to Daenarys
- Davos finding Rickon
- Finding out what the Damphair has been up to (even if he is the least interesting POV for me)
- Arya going off on assassin's apprenticeship
- Whatever is going down in Oldtown

And that's just towards the front-end of the book. ADWD and AFFC may not be the most exciting books but they certainly help set up one massive set of interesting stories for the next one. Certainly, the bit in ADWD where the two books merge begins to pick up the pace again.

I will admit, I think both AFFC and ADWD needed to cut down on Brienne, Cersei and Daenarys chapters quite a lot. The whole subplot where Brienne ends up battling some of Vargo Hoat's lackeys really didn't need to exist.

Veelk

Banned

'Enjoyable' is a very subjective criticism and hardly the point. The point is that all the books are bloated, often with things some readers don't find interesting at all. In that sense, Feast and Dance aren't any different from the first 3 books.

I think the reason it felt off is because there were too many separate storylines and few of them actually intersect. From a reading stand point (also, from someone who read 1-5 continuously) I didn't mind this too much. However, I have no idea how they will film season 5-6 (Feast and Dance) while keeping the viewers interested. By this point we'll have 10 different stories from characters across the world and I think viewers will be pissed that instead of getting any form of resolution to these arcs, we just get more characters and more separate story lines.

They intersect less, but the implications of how they all connect are still there. Cersei is ruining Westeros, and Brienne feels the effects. Baelish and Sansa are preparing their counterstrike, as is Dorne. Jaime is meanwhile helping finish up the war. Arya is training as an assassin, which spells doom for many characters in the series. It's all still connected. Feast just suffers from slow pacing and lots of it being set up, but that doesn't make it a bad book, it just needs the rest of the story to justify itself.

Word. The change was staggering, even though i agree with those that say she is now more in line with what we expect from a teenage girl rather than this all conquering badass heroine.

I didn't like the first time I read her chapters, but I think I will when I reread them. Also, it's the opposite of what you said. Dany was attempting to be a mature adult, where as before she acted like a teenager. Her strategy with the other cities in Essos were to pass a city, conquer them if they were being evil, then put the oppressed in charge because she thought everything would be cool afterwards. If that's not naivety, I don't know what is. Instead, she tried to stay and try her hand at ruling peacefully, being a good queen. She SUCKS at it, but that does not make her immature, as she realizes it at the end of the book and she is disillusioned. Now I think she is going to go back to being a conquer, but she won't be living in the dream that she's somehow a hero and fixing the world because of this. THAT is adulthood.

The character arc is a good one, but it's hurt not by it's content or writing, but that where she was competant in her actions before, she now struggles to rule. It's not as fun to read about someone who makes mistakes as it is about someone who is kicking ass, but ASoIaF is not about fun. I'm not sure why people don't realize that by now. Ruling simply not her forte. Also, the names were very confusing, and that they were all new characters was hard to keep them straight in your head or think about them the same as you do of Varys and the rest of the council in Westeros that we are familiar with, which made them harder to connect with. But the pure content and arc of her section? Awesome.

I don't hate Daario, I hate how Dany reacts to Daario.

It's no different than Tyrion constantly going to Shae.

CrunchyB

Instead, [Dany] tried to stay and try her hand at ruling peacefully, being a good queen. She SUCKS at it, but that does not make her immature, as she realizes it at the end of the book and she is disillusioned. Now I think she is going to go back to being a conquer, but she won't be living in the dream that she's somehow a hero and fixing the world because of this. THAT is adulthood.

The character arc is a good one, but it's hurt not by it's content or writing, but that where she was competant in her actions before, she now struggles to rule. It's not as fun to read about someone who makes mistakes as it is about someone who is kicking ass, but ASoIaF is not about fun. I'm not sure why people don't realize that by now. Ruling simply not her forte. Also, the names were very confusing, and that they were all new characters was hard to keep them straight in your head or think about them the same as you do of Varys and the rest of the council in Westeros that we are familiar with, which made them harder to connect with. But the pure content and arc of her section? Awesome.

Agreed. Dany needed this lesson, to learn her limits and her strengths. It wasn't always fun to read, so Martin failed in that regard, but it made sense and had to happen. I also suspect all the annoying characters with similar names were (more or less) intentional. I hate them all and can't wait until the Meerenese clusterfuck will be resolved and the invasion of Westeros begins!

The entire book (and to a lesser extent AFFC) felt like an annoying intermezzo during which stuff is set up. Hopefully, the next book will start to resolve some things. At the very least, the Battle of Fire and the Battle of Ice (Stannis lives!) will be fought! :)

Veelk

Banned
I don't think Martin failed because he didn't make it fun. He always said that he is striving to make his stories lifelike and life isn't always fun, so why should it be here? I'd still argue that it was well written, it's just harder to connect to (due to the names) and not what people expected, which would lead to some disappointment regardless of it's quality.

I really really hope Daario makes it through because he seems like the perfect person to help Dany wreck some shit now that she remembers she is a fucking dragon! Dragons dont sow motherfucker!

bluemax

Banned
It's honestly not that bad. Just a little bump. Things get much better toward the end of Dance. Though that book also was forced to be edited.

It was like 2000 pages of a "little bump".

Some of you sound very bitter about Daario.

He's the kind of dude that gets the girls GAFfers want but never get. Hence why a lot of people hate him.

Personally I didn't hate his character, I just hated how much time GURM spent making Daeny fantasize about him. I don't even care that she wanted to fuck him, just get it over and done with and move on to something more relevant!

suzu

Insert her.gif

I'm not a dude.
Daario's description just sounds goofy as hell and with Dany going all lovey dovey about him it gets annoying to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom