• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Flintty

Damn ot feels like ages since I last visited AFGAF. That HT Ultron figure reveal :O Will go nicely in my collection.

tumblr_njkiflHFd31r2zmajo1_1280.jpg

Fucking awesome.

oPjPUYE.jpg
aRtscO0.jpg

Can't wait!

I think I need these! Cant wait to see the final version.

Metalmarc

Bought the NECA 8 inch mummy Eddie. Apologies for potato quality photo.

I love the song the figure is based on, but it really shouldn't have had cloth wrappings. They fray everywhere (I cut off most of the loose threads and still need to cut off a few more) and hinder Eddie from getting either of the poses from the album art. There's also an alternate head, but I couldn't stick it on the ball joint; I think I need to work away a bit of the paint inside.

That's NECA quality for you I guess. At least nothing's broken, and the head sculpt is dead-on.

Awesome, fellow maidenite m/ looks to me like the bandages should've not been mad of material, but ah well.

Have you got the live after death and phantom figures too?

Mezco has these 6" scale Batman and Judge Dredd toys up for pre order. I normally hate of figures with soft goods, the cloth is always too thick and throws the look off.
Emperor palpatine's 6" Star Wars black figure is a good example of what I think looks bad. But whatever they are doing with Batman and Dredd really works for me.
ia58bzpl.jpg

J3NRwvcl.jpg
xeiygmil.jpg

XEPvNhYl.jpg
572ahCsl.jpg

kELFIIEl.jpg
dstfP0Rl.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
Mezco has these 6" scale Batman and Judge Dredd toys up for pre order. I normally hate of figures with soft goods, the cloth is always too thick and throws the look off.
Emperor palpatine's 6" Star Wars black figure is a good example of what I think looks bad. But whatever they are doing with Batman and Dredd really works for me.

Wow, that Batman looks amazing. Too bad they ship via UPS or I would order one (one of the best figures I have seen recently). UPS loves to charge outrageous brokerage fees to anything shipped to Canada. Combine that with the Canadian dollar right now and you're probably looking at over $100 CAD.

Cptkrush

Had an amazingly eventful hunt today since Sunday went so poorly for me! I hit the local comic shop and picked up Apocalypse and Red Skull 3.75" figures. Then I went to pretty much all the same places I went sunday, found an Allfather Thor at one Wal-Mart, and felt really good.
Then after dinner, my gf and I went to the Wal-Mart that's closer to our apartment to get a picture frame, and I said what the hell and checked out toys. I found the usual assortment of Winter Soldier stuff and the wave one ASM fodder. The tags on the Winter Soldier stuff were marked AVN INFINITE LGNDS or some such, definitely started with AVN though so I decided to ask an associate if they had the new line in possibly in the back. He went back and found a whole box of the Allfather line, and I got first dibs! So here's my Haul for the day:
Also, I was thinking today about possibly starting up review and impression posts for new figures that I get, would anyone be interested if I posted them?

Fantomex

ia58bzpl.jpg

That Batman and Dredd wow!

Had an amazingly eventful hunt today since Sunday went so poorly for me! I hit the local comic shop and picked up Apocalypse and Red Skull 3.75" figures. Then I went to pretty much all the same places I went sunday, found an Allfather Thor at one Wal-Mart, and felt really good.
Then after dinner, my gf and I went to the Wal-Mart that's closer to our apartment to get a picture frame, and I said what the hell and checked out toys. I found the usual assortment of Winter Soldier stuff and the wave one ASM fodder. The tags on the Winter Soldier stuff were marked AVN INFINITE LGNDS or some such, definitely started with AVN though so I decided to ask an associate if they had the new line in possibly in the back. He went back and found a whole box of the Allfather line, and I got first dibs! So here's my Haul for the day:

Also, I was thinking today about possibly starting up review and impression posts for new figures that I get, would anyone be interested if I posted them?

I think a lot of people would like to hear your impressions.

NateDog

I got my Tifa Play Arts Kai (Advent Children) figure a few days ago after it was left in my post office since I couldn't pay the customs a few weeks ago but damn, she looks like the best PAK by far so far. Her facesculpts actually look even better than the ones that were advertised for the product, like what it looked like back when we saw prototypes. So unbelievably happy. Why can't you keep doing this Square? If they don't fuck up Cloud I am so back in, mind you considering how awful their Metal Gear Solid: TPP range is I won't be buying all figures but still.

Look at that insane mark up.

Remember Avengers Hulk was at $300 and people thought that was expensive.

Hulk is 16.54" and Ultron is 16.15" according to Sideshow's product page.

What dee fooooook
It's obscene really and I'm generally not one to bulk at high prices for these things.

It would be one thing if Ultron were diecast or included a nice collection of extra props/alternate head or maybe a diorama of some type but its a pretty barebones figure at the end of the day. Its the same problem I had with the Hulk a number of years ago and its why I never bit on him. No way I'm bothering with Ultron at that price.

Sideshow's pricing gets nuttier every year
Hot Toys you mean. Sideshow 1/6th scale figures rarely go over the $250 mark.

curb

Banned

Nicely done. I'd be interested in checking out your impressions should you decide to post them.

Cptkrush

Nicely done. I'd be interested in checking out your impressions should you decide to post them.

That Batman and Dredd wow!
I think a lot of people would like to hear your impressions.

Awesome! I want to do a complete figure by figure rundown tomorrow or saturday when I have free time but for now here are some quick impressions from my unboxing last night:

Thor: This dude is massive, and since I'm new to the legends line (and collecting in general) he is my biggest Marvel Legends figure to date. His articulation is pretty lacking, but I didn't play too much with it so this may change as I play around with it some more. The figure looks great and feels solid. Can't wait to take a closer look at this one!

Hawkeye: First impression of this figure was that the paint was very nice, and packed with detail. His articulation is very good, and I really can't wait to get him posed. The figure feels solid, and nothing feels too loose or too tight on first inspection. I think that the bow is going to make a really cool accessory. Anyone know where to buy 1/12 scale arrows?

Captain Marvel: First impression of her was "tan". She is very tan, and it doesn't match her hair color very well. I ended up swapping the masked head on and it looks way better. She had some trouble standing on her own, but that could be user error as I only spent about 1-2 minutes with each figure. Articulation seems really good, and I just want to say how great it is to have a female figure with good articulation and normal sized feet for a change (Gamora is the fuckin' worst). Her paint looks really good aside from the odd skin tone, and I look forward to posing her on a flight stand.

Scarlet Witch: This figure looks incredible from the paint to the sculpt. Her joints feel kind of loose on the right side, and I'm not sure if it's going to be like that for all of them. However, her cape holds her up very well, and she looks friggen awesome in the basic pose that she sort of fell into automatically. Really think I'm going to like this one a lot.

Machine Man: I'm gonna be honest, I dunno who this dude is nor do I have familiarity with Sentry, and I needed arms for Odin/King Thor, so I just grabbed the one that looked coolest. He feels cheap and hollow, but his articulation seems great. His paint looks very good, but I don't know what he's supposed to look like. The extendo arms are bendy! They have the classic two holes at the top and bottom that indicate bendy toy. From first glance it looks like he's based on the Hawkeye sculpt because he has the same joints and a hole in his back.

Iron Fist: Another character I'm not super familiar with. I understand that he is super cool, and I plan on reading some of his material soon. He looks awesome, and his sculpt looks either new or one that I haven't seen before. His articulation is absolute bananas, and the choices of hands are really nice. I have a feeling that this figure will be my favorite of the line.

Allfather: I haven't had a chance to build him yet, and that's disappointing. The pieces are all painted really well, and it seems like he's a little more articulated than Thor. I think he's about the same size too, but slimmer. I can't wait to put him together, and to inspect him further.

curb

Banned
Captain Marvel: First impression of her was "tan". She is very tan, and it doesn't match her hair color very well. I ended up swapping the masked head on and it looks way better. She had some trouble standing on her own, but that could be user error as I only spent about 1-2 minutes with each figure. Articulation seems really good, and I just want to say how great it is to have a female figure with good articulation and normal sized feet for a change (Gamora is the fuckin' worst). Her paint looks really good aside from the odd skin tone, and I look forward to posing her on a flight stand.

This is the only one I have from the wave and I really like it. I've seen other people online mention this and while it doesn't really bug me, the unmasked face is perhaps overly glossy. I think the masked head looks good though so it works out.

I've seen many review mention that captain marvel unmasked face is too shiny. so, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm just wondering, is it safe to spray these action figure with flat/matt topcoat I usually use for gundam model kit? just to remove the shininess in the face?

It's obscene really and I'm generally not one to bulk at high prices for these things.

It would be one thing if Ultron were diecast or included a nice collection of extra props/alternate head or maybe a diorama of some type but its a pretty barebones figure at the end of the day. Its the same problem I had with the Hulk a number of years ago and its why I never bit on him. No way I'm bothering with Ultron at that price.

Hot Toys you mean. Sideshow 1/6th scale figures rarely go over the $250 mark.

Nah, I meant Sideshow, but hot toys is the same. Sideshow would jack of the prices on their GI Joe line with every release. They're now doing it to the Star Wars line, but that's probably partly the Disney tax

Chuckie

Help me action GAF. A friends son has this action figure...and even though we are both geeks... we have no idea who or what it is. Do you guys know

okEibG4.jpg

Top Bottom