• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I love this thread. I am trying to convince myself that this thread gives me the figure fix so I won't feel the need to collect but those classic He-man, TMNT, and Metal Gear figures really make me want to buy at least one. But I know I wouldn't stop at one.

Absolutely how I feel. I can almost taste getting a Masterpiece Prime, or something like those really realistic Joker and Batman toys, but the costs just drives me away.

I did all the hunting back in my videogame collecting days - I don't want to do that again.

Drayco21

The DC Icons figures look alright- I'd rather them be New 52 designs, but I'll probably still pick up a couple of them here and there. Will probably pick up Flash and Hal. Hopefully they dip into more modern characters.

Edit: sorry, hit ctrl+f for DC Icons, and didn't see it on the last page.

Penguin

This Harley Quinn based off of Dini's original design though....

B9q3Nf5CAAEbBuT.png

Rootbeer

Banned
still waiting for dorkside to ship my Odin wave marvel legends case... I really, really hope it's this week but they are having supply issues right now. Supposedly this ML series will be rather tightly constrained. Not as bad as last year's X-Men Legends but not as readily available as last year's Spidey and Cap waves.

New DC Figures
Thanks. I need that Batman. Even though I already have an army of Batman... that one looks great.

Thinking about picking up some of the Arrow/Flash TV figures we'll see

Drayco21

Thinking about picking up some of the Arrow/Flash TV figures we'll see

I really want to get Oliver, Roy, Slade and Barry, but the fact that they're 7" scale is going to drive me crazy.

Edit: Just saw the Aquaman from DC Icons- really hope that head sculpt gets improved before release, because he looks awful. One of the few character I'd have bought, too.

Edit 2: Totally forgot NECA is doing Heroes of the Storm figures- they look so damn good.

Was hoping to see a Lich King and Jim Raynor in the first wave, but I'll get Nova for sure.

curb

Banned
still waiting for dorkside to ship my Odin wave marvel legends case... I really, really hope it's this week but they are having supply issues right now. Supposedly this ML series will be rather tightly constrained. Not as bad as last year's X-Men Legends but not as readily available as last year's Spidey and Cap waves.

Makes me extra glad I managed to snag my Captain Marvel in store.

Cptkrush

Alrighty, got a little bit of time after finishing my homework to review a figure. Be warned: I'm using an HTC One M7, two pieces of white poster board, and a bendy desk lamp as my photo studio. So my photos are not exactly amazing haha, but I tried to take as many pics of the different things that I could, and if you guys want a picture of something in particular, just let me know!

Today I took a closer look at the all mighty God of Thunder: Thor!
Look and Feel:
As I said in my quick unboxing rundown, Thor is absolutely massive. He stands about 8.5" tall, and is much too big for my Stage Act.5 flight stands. He is incredibly heavy, and feels solid as a brick in your hands. The build quality is impressive, and I cannot see having any problems with limbs falling off or breaking in the future.

This figure looks great! The paint is consistently impressive across the board, and packed to the brim with detail. One thing in particular that I like a lot is the paint and shading on the cape. It looks great for a plastic cape. There are some impressive details such as the veins and muscle formations in his arms, and the buttons on his suit and cape. Thor's face is comic book style. This means that he will not fit in with my Marvel Cinematic Universe figures, but this is just an observation not an issue.

Articulation and Posing:
This is where my problems with the figure emerge. I like posing my figures, and I'm sure a lot of you guys do too. Thor is not super restricted, but he is missing many articulation features that I enjoy. His head does not tilt backward because the helmet on his head extends below his neck. The shoulder is your standard Marvel Legends ball joint shoulder, but it is very tight and hard to move. His biceps can get in the way which might be a problem for some poses. His legs do not have a rotating thigh joint like a lot of the figures in the legends line do. This means that the leg cannot move independently of the hip joint. The biggest problem with this figure is the lack of a pivoting ankle; it's 2015, this should be on every figure!

On to the good: rather than going with an ab crunch, Hasbro decided that a limited mobility articulated diaphragm was the right solution, and I think it suits a character of this size. We don't need Thor in crazy Spider-Man poses. Wrists bend up and down, and rotate normally. Down on the lower body we have a crazy ball joint hip that allows Thor to do splits. I do not think this is necessary, but it does not hurt to have more options. His knees are double jointed, so there is still a lot of freedom in the legs regardless of the thigh situation.
Accessories:
This figure comes with two accessories: Mjolnir, and a 6" sword. Mjolnir looks amazing, I think the detail and the paint on the head of the hammer looks stellar. The handle is just brown, but it has some great detail in the grip. It looks very good in Thor's hands. The sword is huge, and I do not see myself using it for anything. The paint is really flat, but the details are nice. It does not work well with this figure considering how great the paint on Mjolnir is. It does look cool on its own, and maybe it will come in handy in the future.

Overall Impressions (TL;DR):
Thor is a wonderful figure with a few articulation issues. As my first Thor, I cannot judge it against anything else. I have heard this figure uses a lot of recycled parts, and that is disappointing. However, if you like Thor, and you do not own a Thor figure from the Marvel Legends line, pick this guy up!

Ugh, I hope I can find Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch without too much trouble.

thanks for the review CTPKRUSH, I have the last marvel legends Thor so I'm undecided on picking this one up but he does indeed look good

Cptkrush

Pics of Hasbro's crap Jurassic World line

Wow Hasbro has so gone to shit in the last couple years.

So no regular styled vehicles or humans.

Man JP1 & 2 had one of the best toylines ever.
This makes 3's look great.

Woooooow these look bad. The T Rex with the rubberized skin from TLW toys was amazing, I miss that thing.

Drayco21

The main line for Jurassic World looks pretty disappointing, but the Mashers look surprisingly fun. I'm still thinking I'll grab at least the big T-Rex to paint into a Devil Dinosaur or something, and maybe a handful of Mashers. Real shame that the figures look so bad- I have a lot of really fond childhood memories of the first three lines.

Drayco21

Confirmation of an Ant-Man Legends and Infinite line, so the movie is actually getting 3.75 and 6" figures, with MCU Ultron as the BAF:

MARVEL’S AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON & MARVEL’S ANT-MAN – 2015 Product Descriptions

MARVEL’S ANT-MAN 3.75-INCH INFINITE SERIES Action Figure
(Ages 4 years & up/Approximate Retail Price: $19.99/Available: Summer 2015)
The hero of the new film Marvel’s Ant-Man gets big action with this 3.75-inch movie-accurate action figure! This item
features Ant-Man and his unique vehicle – a winged ant that he can ride into battle! Available at most major toy retailers
nationwide and on HasbroToyShop.com.

MARVEL’S ANT-MAN 6-INCH LEGENDS INFINITE SERIES Assortment
(Ages 4 years & up/Approximate Retail Price: $19.99/Available: Summer 2015)
Fans can collect these impressive 6-inch scale MARVEL’S ANT-MAN LEGENDS INFINITE SERIES figures, featuring fanfavorite
characters from Marvel Comics and the hero of the new film Marvel’s Ant-Man! Each figure features extensive
articulation and detailed sculpting and deco. Collect them all to assemble the Build-A-Figure: the villain from Marvel’s
Avengers: Age of Ultron, the nefarious Ultron! Characters include Ant-Man, Wasp and more. Available at most major toy
retailers nationwide and on HasbroToyShop.com.

Possible hints that Ultron is still tied to Pym in the MCU, or just an excuse to sell figures of a riskier film? Could go either way.

curb

Banned
Possible hints that Ultron is still tied to Pym in the MCU, or just an excuse to sell figures of a riskier film? Could go either way.

I don't have a source but I'm sure I read somewhere that there are ties between Ant-Man and Ultron. My cynical guess is that the toy connection is just them spreading out the AoU movie figures across waves in order to try and rope more people into multiple full BAF sets.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm very excited about Antman Legends.

I'm hoping one of these waves has an AoU movie Ultron because so far that hasn't been shown. We got an Ultron figure in the Iron Man 3 wave a while back but the movie version design looks pretty good.

curb

Banned
I'm hoping one of these waves has an AoU movie Ultron because so far that hasn't been shown. We got an Ultron figure in the Iron Man 3 wave a while back but the movie version design looks pretty good.

Same here. Since it hasn't been that long since they had an comic Ultron ML figure, I'm assuming it will be the movie version.

Cptkrush

Confirmation of an Ant-Man Legends and Infinite line, so the movie is actually getting 3.75 and 6" figures, with MCU Ultron as the BAF:

What I got from reading the AoU bit is that there will be three different BAF from that line?! Thanos is probably going to be massive too, because I see "each comes with a piece of a large Build-A-Figure!"

My Tatsunoko's Hurricane Polymar arrived yesterday, this figure is fantastic, tons of die cast amazing possability and on top of that his chest lights up!

If any of you is into Tatsunoko's IPs such as Gatchaman, Hurricane Polymar, Casshern, Tekkaman or Speed Racer well now is the time to jump in, it seems the next releases might be Ken the Eagle and Joe the Condor?

Here is a youtube video review of the figure showing his chest light up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4nhvMqCTaY

Pics of Hasbro's crap Jurassic World line

Wow Hasbro has so gone to shit in the last couple years.

So no regular styled vehicles or humans.

Man JP1 & 2 had one of the best toylines ever.
This makes 3's look great.

Overall it's a really ugly toy line, though some sculpts are OK:

$10 assortment

$15 assortment

$35 deluxe dinos

I-Rex (click for spoiler image)

and

That said, they don't come close to the old toys, or the 2013 Dino Showdown sets, which were amazing. Also, I can't believe they aren't doing any characters from the film.

Never did the army building thing but the "STANDARD SKELETON 6-PACK: US add $95 / international add $105" is really tempting me.

Yeah, those skeletons are awesome. I think I'll get a 6 pack as well, with the silver knight and a dwarf or orc. Wish I could buy more, as 90% of that line looks awesome, but I gotta limit myself.

Yeah, those skeletons are awesome. I think I'll get a 6 pack as well, with the silver knight and a dwarf or orc. Wish I could buy more, as 90% of that line looks awesome, but I gotta limit myself.

Oh man. I may have to get some too for Figma Link to battle in pics.

F the haters, love that Ultron Prime Hot toy. I think it looks worth the price. All new parts and nothing is reusable for other hot toys. Pre ordered Cuz I can.

As for Thanos, definitely need to wait for the Infinity War version with gauntlet.

This week Hot toys Winter Soldier arrived and I got Mandarin with a sideshow discount card and it already was $24 off msrp.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm not impressed with the JP toys for the simple reason that I know the paint on the actual versions you'll find in stores won't match the quality shown in those paint masters. This is a big problem with toy companies... so you have to curb your expectations VERY carefully

Unless it's a high-end toy like a Hot Toy you're never going to get anything that nice as-advertised, especially at the price they are stating

BTW can we please get to the next page the images are killing chrome :p

I'm not impressed with the JP toys for the simple reason that I know the paint on the actual versions you'll find in stores won't match the quality shown in those paint masters. This is a big problem with toy companies... so you have to curb your expectations VERY carefully

Unless it's a high-end toy like a Hot Toy you're never going to get anything that nice as-advertised, especially at the price they are stating

BTW can we please get to the next page the images are killing chrome :p

same for me

Alright So I collect Marvel legends and S.h Figuarts and I live in Ashland, Virginia. I have been trying to find the Odin Wave of the new Marvel Legends but to no avail. Does anyone know where I could pick these up at? I looked on Amazon but they are 2 dollars higher plus tax. This Dude said check in Target but they still have the Guardians of the Galaxy Wave? Can Anyone shed any light as to where would be the best place to pick these up or should I just get them from Online ? Thanks in advance :)

Drayco21

Little weird how all those Dinosaurs are mutilated. Gives them a zombified look that I'm not a fan of.

The JP3 Dinosaurs had them too- it was advertised as battle damage, and while it's not really effective, it's really triggering my nostalgia.

Alright So I collect Marvel legends and S.h Figuarts and I live in Ashland, Virginia. I have been trying to find the Odin Wave of the new Marvel Legends but to no avail. Does anyone know where I could pick these up at? I looked on Amazon but they are 2 dollars higher plus tax. This Dude said check in Target but they still have the Guardians of the Galaxy Wave? Can Anyone shed any light as to where would be the best place to pick these up or should I just get them from Online ? Thanks in advance :)

Target has been the best place for me in Ohio and Kentucky- I've managed to find Captain Marvel, and today I got there too late, but they had a full case (it was picked clean of all but Hawkeye, who I figure I can get cheaper later since he's probably gonna shelfwarm) I've also seen a lot of Meijers clearing places for the new wave, so one of those could have something. They're only just now coming out though, so they're not very common anywhere yet.

The JP3 Dinosaurs had them too- it was advertised as battle damage, and while it's not really effective, it's really triggering my nostalgia.

Target has been the best place for me in Ohio and Kentucky- I've managed to find Captain Marvel, and today I got there too late, but they had a full case (it was picked clean of all but Hawkeye, who I figure I can get cheaper later since he's probably gonna shelfwarm) I've also seen a lot of Meijers clearing places for the new wave, so one of those could have something. They're only just now coming out though, so they're not very common anywhere yet.

thanks dude Maybe that's why my 2 nearest Walmarts have clear spots where the legends used to be. I guess I will look when I go out later this week. Thanks dude, Wish me luck haha

Flintty

Those Heroes of the Storm figs look good. I'd be in for Illidan and Lich King.

Damn I wish Hot Toys would do those two.

Cptkrush

thanks dude Maybe that's why my 2 nearest Walmarts have clear spots where the legends used to be. I guess I will look when I go out later this week. Thanks dude, Wish me luck haha

Do what I did, check the tag where the old legends were and if it starts out with AVNG or something, ask an employee to check in the back for them. Hopefully you'll get a great worker that actually cares and brings back a whole box of them. Good luck!

Top Bottom