• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Drayco21

Stopped in the local Walgreens today, and they had a full case of the new Ant-Man exclusive sitting in the front by the register. If my backass end of nowhere Ohio town is starting to get them, I'd assume they should be getting pretty easy to find at this point now:

ixelvCQ.png
BxkitJa.png

I've been pretty bummed about half the Ant-Man Legends figures. Ant-Man himself is fantastic, Wasp is the best figure on that mold yet, and Giant Man is a solid, if unremarkable BuckyCap repaint that fills a much needed hole in the collection. But Grim Reaper, Bulldozer and Tigershark all feel like the laziest, worst kind of additions to the set; they're here because they were already made, not because of any association with Ant-Man. I would have killed for an MCU Yellowjacket figure, or really, any Team Ant villains would have been great. Or a Classic Pym Ant-Man. Or a modern Scott Lang. Or even an accurate movie Lang, while we're at it. But I digress; my issue of wanting an actual Ant-Man villain in the Ant-Man Legends series is finally solved thanks to Walgreens, continuing their streak of fantastic exclusives.

The packaging describes this as simply "Ant-Man", and claims it's Eric O'Grady, the third and most Irredeemable of the Ant-Men, but that's not really true. This is actually Black Ant, an LMD created by a crazy robot cult after they murdered O'Grady in Remender's Secret Avengers. I dunno, maybe that was too dark for them to want to commit to on the package of what is ostensibly still a children's toy, or maybe they just looked up the most recent O'Grady costume on Google and decided to go with this. Or actually, this figure exists because repainting it into a classic Pym would be super easy, and that figure will probably be out in the future, and so the Black Ant suit wouldn't have cost them much, and it would be easier to market as Ant-Man. Whatever happened there, it's a really interesting, modern pick for a character, and one I'd never expect to see a figure of, or even knew that I wanted until we saw pictures of it.

Black Ant is essentially just a new head sculpt and separate belt on the Pizza Party Spider-Man body, with no additional accessories, but man... this mold is so damn good that even without the benefit of all the pieces Pete came with, this still feels like a great buy of a figure. His posability is vastly better than the sea of Bucky-Caps we've been getting lately, and the paint job, while not very complex, is extremely crisp, clean and striking. The firey eyes, and the lights on the Helmet pop really well and I love how much personality they give without actually needing to sculpt any expressiveness in them.

Black Ant is, in many ways, my ideal of what an exclusive figure should be. Whether you want another hero to hang out with your Ant-Mens, are building a Secret Avengers roster, or working on a villain shelf, RobO'grady fits your needs, but at the same time, because he's not the definitive look of the character, he's still completely skippable and I wouldn't worry about it. If I had never found Agent Venom, I'd have been as endlessly salty as I was when I thought I'd never get to own a proper Star-Lord after the SDCC set; but if I had never seen a Black Ant or a Yellow DD, there'd be no serious problems with me. I am, however, very glad I did get to find a Black Ant- despite his simplicity, he's a lot of fun, and an awesome addition to my shelf.

Good write up, Drayco. The paint on the figure looks nice and clean, especially on the head sculpt. Pizza Spidey body mold is probably the best one they have right now.

Y'know, I'm not sure if I should wait for the new ML Cap on the Grim Reaper body mold or just get an already released Cap. I have zero Cap figures.

Good write up, Drayco. The paint on the figure looks nice and clean, especially on the head sculpt. Pizza Spidey body mold is probably the best one they have right now.

Y'know, I'm not sure if I should wait for the new ML Cap on the Grim Reaper body mold or just get an already released Cap. I have zero Cap figures.

I think I have like 5 or something so far. Cap is my favorite marvel character so I just keep buying them

Rootbeer

Banned
I agree, thanks Drayco for your reviews and write-ups. I need to put the effort in and do the same :p Maybe once I get a new phone with a better camera. I'm frustrated with mine... can't get it to focus worth a damn anymore.

I now have all of the Rhino wave, got them at 17.99 at TRU except for Chameleon, which I had to get seperate at 21.99. Overall, a nice savings.

From the Hulkbuster wave, I only have Doctor Strange and Vision. Will work on getting the others over time once they start getting marked down on amazon. I'll probably have to get them all because the Hulkbuster is absolutely massive for a BAF and It would be a shame to miss out on having it, even if it's not perfect.

And... last but not least, received my hasbrotoyshop.com order yesterday with my First Order Stormtrooper and, best of all... The Book of Vishanti!

Drayco21

Of the four Caps I've picked up so far, I'd thoroughly recommend the two MCU ones. Stealth Suit Cap is one of my favorite molds in the line so far, but is also very scene specific. Age of Ultron Cap is just that figure, with a more traditional paint scheme, and it looks great. They even have alternate salute hands and pointing fingers to look like they're giving orders.

The Ultimate Captain America that came in the three pack with Radioactive Man and Ms. Marvel is solid; especially for the sale prices that pack was going for at a lot of Targets. Unfortunately, my shield's wrist tab snapped off in the package, so he doesn't get to be armed very much anymore. His articulations a little bit softer, but it's still a fine figure.

The Marvel Now Cap should have been my default Cap, but there's some awful, awful paint issues, and every single one is designed so that one leg is longer than the other just slightly, so he can't really properly stand up without either a stand or his legs posed to compensate for it. Between that, his wonky eyes, and the paint chips and slop covering his torso that wasn't noticeable past his ab crunch in the package, I can't recommend him.

That said, none of these figures have alternate Cap Wolf pieces, so they're all clearly inferior to next year's.

Good info Drayco21. Also, where did you get those stands? I've been looking for some for my 6 inch legends :)

This very thread recommended I pick up some Bandai Tamashii Act 5 stands, and they've worked out pretty great. Not everything really fits on there; I've had some trouble with Iron Men, and bigger guys like Thor wouldn't fly, but pretty much everyone I'd want to be on a stand has been accommodated fine.

I think I have like 5 or something so far. Cap is my favorite marvel character so I just keep buying them
Any must-buys?
And... last but not least, received my hasbrotoyshop.com order yesterday with my First Order Stormtrooper and, best of all... The Book of Vishanti!

Dormammu and Brother Voodoo ;_;

All my envy.

Edit: Talk about timing!
Of the four Caps I've picked up so far, I'd thoroughly recommend the two MCU ones. Stealth Suit Cap is one of my favorite molds in the line so far, but is also very scene specific. Age of Ultron Cap is just that figure, with a more traditional paint scheme, and it looks great. They even have alternate salute hands and pointing fingers to look like they're giving orders.

The Ultimate Captain America that came in the three pack with Radioactive Man and Ms. Marvel is solid; especially for the sale prices that pack was going for at a lot of Targets. Unfortunately, my shield's wrist tab snapped off in the package, so he doesn't get to be armed very much anymore. His articulations a little bit softer, but it's still a fine figure.

The Marvel Now Cap should have been my default Cap, but there's some awful, awful paint issues, and every single one is designed so that one leg is longer than the other just slightly, so he can't really properly stand up without either a stand or his legs posed to compensate for it. Between that, his wonky eyes, and the paint chips and slop covering his torso that wasn't noticeable past his ab crunch in the package, I can't recommend him.

That said, none of these figures have alternate Cap Wolf pieces, so they're all clearly inferior to next year's.
Thanks for the recommendations, breh. I think I'll be picking up Stealth Suit Cap and waiting for traditional colours Cap Wolf :)

Wish Cap Wolf had some sculpted detail, though. That really helps his traditional suit pop.

Fjordson

I got my Ashigaru Stormtrooper. Incredible looking figure, can't wait to get more from this line.

He's oddly fragile, though. Literally had his legs fall off when trying to pose him lol. But once he's on the shelf he looks great.

I got my Ashigaru Stormtrooper. Incredible looking figure, can't wait to get more from this line.

He's oddly fragile, though. Literally had his legs fall off when trying to pose him lol. But once he's on the shelf he looks great.

A lot of the super-poseable figures are fragile like that. They aren't really toys in the traditional sense.

Fjordson

A lot of the super-poseable figures are fragile like that. They aren't really toys in the traditional sense.
This one seemed abormally so. But I think what was happening is that the leg armor is a little too bulky so the legs can actually push eachother off the joint if you're not careful.

Replicant

So basically similar to many figmas and Nendoroids. That wing attachment on figma Kamidoka's leg was like that too.

My 1000 Toys TOA Heavy Industries CaRB figure came in Friday. This is my first figure from them, but I've seen those Synthetic Human figures a lot. I'm amazed by the poseability this figure has. You can put it in pretty much any pose you can think of. I only wish it came with fisted hands, as the default ones are weird and not articulated. Also, you can remove the mask and there's a creepy skull-looking face underneath. All in all, it's a fantastic figure and now I'm determined to get some Synthetic Human and Anti-CaRB Squad figures.

Naw bruh, go all out and get the Figma Snake. No matter what the price!
I got that one too!

I was able to get it from the first batch of amiami pre-orders so I only paid 6060 yen.
I am waiting for the Gurlukovich soldier from Figma to make him company.

Oh yeah, I kinda wish Cyborg Ninja had an alternate head to go along with the laser rifle though.

Yeah, Cyborg Ninja is the one that comes with less accessories, amazing little figure but it should have come with some more stuff.
Venom Snake comes packed with a lot of stuff, even more than Solid Snake.

My 1000 Toys TOA Heavy Industries CaRB figure came in Friday. This is my first figure from them, but I've seen those Synthetic Human figures a lot. I'm amazed by the poseability this figure has. You can put it in pretty much any pose you can think of. I only wish it came with fisted hands, as the default ones are weird and not articulated. Also, you can remove the mask and there's a creepy skull-looking face underneath. All in all, it's a fantastic figure and now I'm determined to get some Synthetic Human and Anti-CaRB Squad figures.

never heard of that line, it looks fantastic!

I got that one too!

I was able to get it from the first batch of amiami pre-orders so I only paid 6060 yen.
I am waiting for the Gurlukovich soldier from Figma to make him company.

Yeah, Cyborg Ninja is the one that comes with less accessories, amazing little figure but it should have come with some more stuff.
Venom Snake comes packed with a lot of stuff, even more than Solid Snake.

Did you ever get the gripping hands to stick with the plastic sheet? It just seems to never click. But yeah MGS2 Snake Figma is just the best.

Did you ever get the gripping hands to stick with the plastic sheet? It just seems to never click. But yeah MGS2 Snake Figma is just the best.

those parts are still in the box, I didn't even attempt to use them, it would have been painful to see such an amazing figure to plummet to his death with any movement of its surroundings.

That's pretty cool. About how much do they run?

The preorder for this figure came up on May 11th and cost $150. Since 1000toys are hard to find, it may be hard to find this piece for a reasonable price. The Anti-CaRB figure went on sale this past week and they cost $200. If you want to stay up on what's going with them, follow them on Facebook.

Congrats! Mine just came in on Friday as well. Sadly, it was sent to my parents' home and not my own :/ (long story). I hope to have it in hand next weekend.

never heard of that line, it looks fantastic!

Yeah I didn't really know much about them until I saw that Budget Stark has a bunch of them in his collection, usually fighting with his Iron Man figures. If I recall correctly they're based off a Japanese adult visual novel or something, but the figures have taken on a presence of their own. They are probably the most poseable figures you can get, which is part of why they're so sought after.

The Snythetic Human figures are highly sought after, since they didn't make vary many of them. It's been rumored they will be doing another run of them in the future. Just recently they came out with the CaRB (Collared and Reprogrammed Body) figure, which is what I have. I believe it's supposed to be hunting the synthetic humans.

They also just came out with the Anti-CaRB Squad which just went up for preorder a few days ago and sold out within a couple hours I believe. You can see a quick review of those by Danoby2 here, though the intro is pretty creepy.

That's pretty cool. About how much do they run?

They were $150 each, though they only allowed one per person and sold out pretty quickly unfortunately. I actually tried to order a couple but they canceled my extra order. They put a few extras up for sale on Friday but they were gone instantly. I probably would have grabbed another one or two if I could.

Congrats! Mine just came in on Friday as well. Sadly, it was sent to my parents' home and not my own :/ (long story). I hope to have it in hand next weekend.

Thanks and congrats yourself. I think you'll find it's a pretty great figure. Enjoy!

Hot Toys Han and Chewie production photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152992658112344.1073742330.58690437343&type=3

Creating a figure using fur has to be very challenging, but I still gotta say I'm not really pleased with how Chewie came out. It doesn't really look like him to me.

And the prototype Han looked better, but maybe that's just me.

I think that Chewie will probably be the only OT Chewie we get in 1/6 scale, and it looks better than I expected. Han I don't know. Some images it looks good, others it looks bad. I don't think it's worse than the proto though.

Flintty

Chewie looks great, I'd take him like that. And the Han sculpt is massively improved since the reveal photos. Shame I can't find a place for them in my collection :(

iqubal

Banned
Anyone have the 1/6 sideshow Vader (most recent release)? I was going to get the hot toys one, but my buddy is willing to sell the sideshow to me at a really really good price. I can put that money towards another fig!

Anyone have the 1/6 sideshow Vader (most recent release)? I was going to get the hot toys one, but my buddy is willing to sell the sideshow to me at a really really good price. I can put that money towards another fig!

I do. It's a very good figure. Posted it a while back on here. Based on the ROTJ parts rather than Hot Toys ANH. The arms are the only weak point, being quite skinny but by no means a deal breaker. The cape drapes over them in most poses anyhow. I payed retail and regret nothing.

The light up base and chest is sweet and very tasteful.

iqubal

Banned
I do. It's a very good figure. Posted it a while back on here. Based on the ROTJ parts rather than Hot Toys ANH. The arms are the only weak point, being quite skinny but by no means a deal breaker. The cape drapes over them in most poses anyhow. I payed retail and regret nothing.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll check that post! :)

I'm getting it cheaper than retail so really can't go wrong

How great is Amiami when it comes to replacements? I bought a figure from them that had a nasty scratch across its base out of the box.

Depends on how bad and if they have replacements available. If the maker happens to be GSC, it would be better to contact them directly. GSC has great customer service.

LiK

man, the Halo 2 Master Chief Play-Arts is close to 12" tall. didn't actually notice until i put him next to my 1/6 figures lol

Averon

Picked up a Metal Build Freedom Gundam a couple weeks ago. It was my first metal build figurine, and going into it blind, I came away quite impressed by it. Great detail. Very good articulation given that it is made of nearly all die-cast metal. Nice and weighty. Doesn't feel like it would break easily. Planning on picking up more metal builds in the future, but given how expensive some can be (Destiny Gundam selling for nearly $500(!!!) on Amazon and 500-$700 on Ebay) some are just going to stay out of my reach.

I have him also. The suit is terrible. It's not quilted and it doesn't fit well

Fjordson

Got my Mezco Dark Knight Returns Batman in from eBay. Amazing figure. Really excited for their Dredd figure from the same line if Batman is any indication of the quality.

Picked up a Metal Build Freedom Gundam a couple weeks ago. It was my first metal build figurine, and going into it blind, I came away quite impressed by it. Great detail. Very good articulation given that it is made of nearly all die-cast metal. Nice and weighty. Doesn't feel like it would break easily. Planning on picking up more metal builds in the future, but given how expensive some can be (Destiny Gundam selling for nearly $500(!!!) on Amazon and 500-$700 on Ebay) some are just going to stay out of my reach.

Popular designs of premium Gundam figures are disgustingly expensive. The premium-premium ones like Metal Build and Gundam Fix Figuration Metal Composite are even more so.

Metal build does 00 and SEED exclusively if I'm not mistaken, and since SEED designs remain very popular, it doesn't surprise me to see prices like that, especially when Robot Damashii exclusives tend to sit in the $100 range.

Top Bottom