• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait did this actually happen?

Episode 39 The Pods. Now that I see it I can't unsee it.

Stuff like that is littered throughout the series. It's all things that a child would never, ever understand. Finn and Flame Princess go on a quest and they unlock the treasure chest and it's a butt that farts. No child is going to interpret that as Finn getting some ass. Bubblegum kneels down to grab Ice King's robe to throw it over his head and he asks if she's going to pray to him. What kid will get the blowjob reference there? Almost every knot in every tree in Ooo looks like a vagina, people are sticking their hands into them constantly, but no kid is going to notice that.

Wait did this actually happen?

tumblr_lj1nn9JzJq1qay3se.gif

Gvaz

Banned
Stuff like that is littered throughout the series. It's all things that a child would never, ever understand. Finn and Flame Princess go on a quest and they unlock the treasure chest and it's a butt that farts. No child is going to interpret that as Finn getting some ass. Bubblegum kneels down to grab Ice King's robe to throw it over his head and he asks if she's going to pray to him. What kid will get the blowjob reference there? Almost every knot in every tree in Ooo looks like a vagina, people are sticking their hands into them constantly, but no kid is going to notice that.

Also the recent episode when bubblegum ties his robe around his head and starts stomping on him and the ice king exclaims "I like that. and that. that too!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, Jake can be a real asshole.
BMO is so great.

Wait... what kind of person was the baby and the mom?

Epcott

Lavar Burton now? Who's next, Marina Sirits or Patrick Stuart? Almost forgot Michael Dorn is Gork from Magic Man episode, Freak City.

Anyways, ending caught me off guard. WTF indeed!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Lavar Burton now? Who's next, Marina Sirits or Patrick Stuart? Almost forgot Michael Dorn is Gork from Magic Man episode, Freak City.

Anyways, ending caught me off guard. WTF indeed!

Oh man, a Patrick Stewart episode would be amazing.

The Hermit

"where I come from pillows are used for bedding"

"they're used for that here too ;)"

How do they get away with this shit?

hahaah, yeah I was like :O when she said that.

I have no idea how they are rating AoT, but I am loving it more and more.

Yeah, it was totally a big "The Inner Light" (from Star Trek: TNG) reference. The presence of Jonathan Frakes is no mere coincidence.

Regarding last week's episode, are y'all familiar with David O'Reilly's other work? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPyN6IK1tM (NSFW and disturbing)

that thing messed my mind

A boy. It's super confusing because he sounds like a girl and is voiced by a girl but the character is a boy.

They've been pretty openly fluid with his sexuality lately too, what with Finn trying to hook him up with Ice King, and now the situation with Bubble. Though Adventure Time as a whole is very open and accepting of different sexualities and orientations.

Tuck

A boy. It's super confusing because he sounds like a girl and is voiced by a girl but the character is a boy.

They've been pretty openly fluid with his sexuality lately too, what with Finn trying to hook him up with Ice King, and now the situation with Bubble. Though Adventure Time as a whole is very open and accepting of different sexualities and orientations.

Isn't the character "officially" genderless, hence why they can get away with setting him up with girls (Like the chicken) or boys (Like the bubble or Ice King)?

But yeah I've certainly always thought of him as a boy.

BMO doesn't have a sex, that's why he was the only character that didn't get a gender swap on the Fionna and Cake episode. I don't know about BMO's internally defined gender or whatever though.

Amir0x

Banned
holy shit, just saw Simon & Marcy and the Pillow World episode. Goddamn this show is firing on all cylinders.

When Simon starts singing the Cheers Song at the end I was all :O, goosebumps and shit. The voice actor deserves real credit too - from the way Simon's voice cracks and starts wavering as if he's about the start crying right before he changes into Ice King's traditional voice, which he then filters through an almost painfully withered interpretation of the Cheers song that one can almost imagine he's singing through gritted teeth.

I love how they turned Ice King into one of the most sympathetic characters on the show. It makes every appearance by him have an underlying sense of tragedy.

And the pillow episode... my God. This is one truly fucked up episode on so many levels. Amazing though what they were able to fit in a 10 minute ep.

Isn't the character "officially" genderless, hence why they can get away with setting him up with girls (Like the chicken) or boys (Like the bubble or Ice King)?

But yeah I've certainly always thought of him as a boy.

BMO doesn't have a sex, that's why he was the only character that didn't get a gender swap on the Fionna and Cake episode. I don't know about BMO's internally defined gender or whatever though.

Technically this is true, because BMO is a computer. However the other characters, especially Finn and Jake, refer to BMO as a guy on several occasions. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a character refer to BMO as a girl.

I don't see why BMO has to be genderless to be hooked up with a female chicken or a male Bubble though. BMO can swing either way, as I said the show pretty openly promotes alternative lifestyles. (PB and Marcy, Jake and Lady, Princess Cookie, etc)

Technically this is true, because BMO is a computer. However the other characters, especially Finn and Jake, refer to BMO as a guy on several occasions. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a character refer to BMO as a girl.

I don't see why BMO has to be genderless to be hooked up with a female chicken or a male Bubble though. BMO can swing either way, as I said the show pretty openly promotes alternative lifestyles. (PB and Marcy, Jake and Lady, Princess Cookie, etc)

Sure, but that might just be a case of "he" being the default pronoun.

I agree that he doesn't have to be genderless, I mentioned that I don't know what BMO's gender identity would be if any would apply, it just seems pointless to speculate with there being no real indication one way or the other.

Sure, but that might just be a case of "he" being the default pronoun.

I agree that he doesn't have to be genderless, I mentioned that I don't know what BMO's gender identity would be if any would apply, it just seems pointless to speculate with there being no real indication one way or the other.

I actually looked it up just now (due to my own curiosity) and although Finn does call BMO "m'lady" in one episode, in both of the Graybles episodes BMO refers to itself as a he ("a little living boy") and his mirror persona, Football, is a she ("a real baby girl").

*confused*

The BMO wiki actually poses the idea that BMO has multiple personality disorder, and points out that the different personas often talk to each other. I wouldn't put it past them.

I actually looked it up just now (due to my own curiosity) and although Finn does call BMO "m'lady" in one episode, in both of the Graybles episodes BMO refers to itself as a he ("a little living boy") and his mirror persona, Football, is a she ("a real baby girl").

Lol BMO is a neat character. Thanks, I kind of forgot a lot of that stuff.

Ironmask

The end of this episode was so messed up. Just imagine the poor kids watching this, crying over the death of Bubble...

i thought that was neat instead, you can surely find an analogy with a certain religious belief of a spirit inside our body.
Or at least that sparkeld in my head when Bubble said "i've lived so long inside this bubble, that i forgot what i actually am"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Who voiced the bubble? If it's Levar Burton, that would be an extra layer of awesome coming off of the Frakes voiceover.

CorvoSol

Best part was Bubble's horrifyingly creepy "ALWAYS WITH YOU" talk and then BMO going "Cool!"

Much like Brown Tiny BMO, I expect this to never be raised again.

Servbot24

Banned
I could have sworn one of Cartoon Network's promo videos had the caption, "B-MO is a girl????" I always figured F&J just didn't know any better and called B-MO a he.

Maedhros

Where did you see PB and Marcy scenes? On this season? Because, in the last 4 seasons, I have seen nothing.

Who voiced the bubble? If it's Levar Burton, that would be an extra layer of awesome coming off of the Frakes voiceover.

You got it; his Reading Rainbow voice is unmistakable.

Where did you see PB and Marcy scenes? On this season? Because, in the last 4 seasons, I have seen nothing.

It has heavily implied in "What Was Missing" that PB and Marcy had a romantic relationship in the past.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

There was a bit of a hoo-hah surrounding the "What Was Missing" episode in season 3 where they form a band to open a door or something. I remember a lot of people reading into the PB/Marceline relationship in that episode, plus there was a video series called "Mathematical!" that was following the show, they made an episode which commented on a possible lesbian relationship and things went nuts. It's not canon technically, but because the Mathematical series was produced by the same studio people saw it as confirmation. There's some information on the wiki about it.

Maedhros

You got it; his Reading Rainbow voice is unmistakable.

It has heavily implied in "What Was Missing" that PB and Marcy had a romantic relationship in the past.

There was a bit of a hoo-hah surrounding the "What Was Missing" episode in season 3 where they form a band to open a door or something. I remember a lot of people reading into the PB/Marceline relationship in that episode, plus there was a video series called "Mathematical!" that was following the show, they made an episode which commented on a possible lesbian relationship and things went nuts. It's not canon technically, but because the Mathematical series was produced by the same studio people saw it as confirmation. There's some information on the wiki about it.

lol, that's really bullshit/stretching it. I didn't read shit there.

Seems like shipper logic.

EDIT: Oh yea, but thanks for the answer.

Gvaz

Banned

As a result of this situation, "Mathematical!" was discontinued and Dan Rickmers was fired from Frederator Studios.[5] Fred Seibert stated that the decision to pull Mathematical! was not influenced by the Adventure Time crew nor by Cartoon Network.[2]

Haha bullshit

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Haha bullshit

It was almost certainly because of the controversy surrounding that episode, but what he's saying is that it wasn't CN or the AT crew's decision to cancel it. It was probably his, Mathematical wasn't produced by the AT crew or Cartoon Network.

lol, that's really bullshit/stretching it. I didn't read shit there.

Seems like shipper logic.

EDIT: Oh yea, but thanks for the answer.

It really isn't stretching. They had set up in several other episodes leading up to What Was Missing that there was some kind of something between Marceline and Bubblegum. Nothing blatant, but enough to get people wondering. Then What Was Missing aired, and shit went crazy. The shippers flipped out, that video was posted bringing the possibility of them having a relationship into the spotlight, and close-minded parents were FURIOUS. Cartoon Network received more angry phone calls on that day then for anything else they've ever done - numbering in the thousands. The YouTube video was taken down, the channel was closed, the guy lost his job, and since then the show hasn't really touched on their relationship again.

There's nothing wrong with you not catching any of it or reading into it, that's what we were talking about at the top of this page with Adventure Time running on multiple levels with its stories and humor. Certain things are done in such a way that it just goes unnoticed.

Edit: Watching a bunch of AT on Cartoon Network right now, the Return to the Nightosphere episode refers to BMO as a boy. Also there is some pretty suxual stuff going on with the bee and the flower in the "Goliad" episode, hahahaha.

W_Dreamer

Not at all. I mean "heavily implied"...naw.

Sure there could be and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's more implied bff before something romantic.

If those eps were all that it takes to make romance heavily implied...then all the girls I know were once or in a romantic relationship with their best (female) friends.

Not at all. I mean "heavily implied"...naw.

Sure there could be and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's more implied bff before something romantic.

If those eps were all that it takes to make romance heavily implied...then all the girls I know were once or in a romantic relationship with their best (female) friends.

I'm no 'shipper, but come on, there's plenty of evidence that there is a romantic element to PB and Marcy's relationship:

-Marcy's song lyrics, such as "I'm going to drink the red from your pretty pink face" and "I shouldn't have to be the one who makes up with you / so why do I want to?"
-There's a clear parallel between Finn holding on to a memento of his crush (PB's hair) and PB doing the same thing for Marceline. Marceline even blushes when she finds out how dear it is to PB.
-Their contentious attitude in the episode is much closer to that of exes than of platonic frenemies.

It's not blatant, but the subtext is definitely there.

Mesoian

I'm no 'shipper, but come on, there's plenty of evidence that there is a romantic element to PB and Marcy's relationship:

-Marcy's song lyrics, such as "I'm going to drink the red from your pretty pink face" and "I shouldn't have to be the one who makes up with you / so why do I want to?"
-There's a clear parallel between Finn holding on to a memento of his crush (PB's hair) and PB doing the same thing for Marceline. Marceline even blushes when she finds out how dear it is to PB.
-Their contentious attitude in the episode is much closer to that of exes than of platonic frenemies.

It's not blatant, but the subtext is definitely there.

Eh...I've always thought the romantic subtext between PB and marceline was stretching at best. Everything I've seen presented as sure fire evidence seems more like friendship than an actual sexual attraction. Reminds me a lot of when people were trying to pair every female in homestuck with every other female.

There's more evidence suggesting Jake and PB than Marcy and PB.

Eh...I've always thought the romantic subtext between PB and marceline was stretching at best. Everything I've seen presented as sure fire evidence seems more like friendship than an actual sexual attraction. Reminds me a lot of when people were trying to pair every female in homestuck with every other female.

There's more evidence suggesting Jake and PB than Marcy and PB.

Obviously there's room for interpretation, but you didn't actually present any counterexamples. Maybe it's been too long since I hung out with teenage girls, but that angsty antagonism between them isn't something I've seen in platonic relationships.

It isn't just What Was Missing that does it, either. Marcy was always playfully antagonistic of PB before that episode, in the kind of way past lover are, not platonic friends, which is what got the shippers going in the first place. It hit the fever pitch with What Was Missing because that was the cap/most blatant example of them having ~some kind~ of relationship in the past. But since that episode and the huge uproar it caused, they have completely dropped it. It's cool for a dog and a horse to have babies together because it's just a cartoon, but if it's two girls having a relationship think of the message it's sending to my child!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow the last episode I watched was the second to last episode of the 4th season. I have a lot to catchup on.

I just saw that fans got the show creators to make an episode about Marceline and Princess Bubblegum being in love. Oh my glob I already see enough of that fanfiction drawings on the internet, I don't need the show creators to feed into it.

Raxus

Wow the last episode I watched was the second to last episode of the 4th season. I have a lot to catchup on.

I just saw that fans got the show creators to make an episode about Marceline and Princess Bubblegum being in love. Oh my glob I already see enough of that fanfiction drawings on the internet, I don't need the show creators to feed into it.

It isn't really 'fanfiction' the relationship is pretty heavily alluded to in the doorlord episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom