• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDirk

Man ya'lls interpretation of it is way more negative than mine. They started out just trying to ape the style, yeah, but they eventually realized they had to do their own thing. Then they started looking at disparate elements, mixing-and-matching until they found their own deal.

Given that James Baxter is an actual respected animator (who animated/voiced the horse), the meta-commentary instead seems to be about the power of inspiration.

*shrug*

That's probably true as well, but there is very blatant mockery of focus testing while they're trying to make their own 'thing'.

Edit: I didn't actually know that James Baxter was a real person so I just looked him up, and his wiki actually has a blurb about the episode:

In May 2013, Baxter was a guest animator for an episode of Adventure Time entitled 'James Baxter the Horse', the plot of which mirrors the relationship between the show creator (Pendleton Ward) and Baxter. The episode's story focused on the lead characters trying to emulate a Horse who can cheer everyone up by neighing his name (James Baxter) and balancing on a beach ball. Both the horse's animation (which is visually distinct from the other characters) and voice were provided by Baxter. The episode's title card features a drawing of the horse drawing a horse on a beach ball, in a similar fashion to an animator.

Very cool. I wonder if he's been at the Drink & Draws before and I just had no idea who he was. *bangs head against wall*

JoeFu

Banned
It's doing quite well, and they're going to get another boost as soon as the first half of Natasha's Bee & Puppycat comes back from overseas and airs. Plus they have a buttload of other great shorts in the pipeline to fill in the gaps (Rocket Dog just premiered, which I adore). Maybe some day I'll finish my damn pitch board and go meet with Eric again to get my short made too.

Is there a thread for all the cartoon hangover stuff? I really enjoyed Bravest Warriors and can't wait for the next season. Our Electrical Morals first episode was pretty decent and Rocketdog was pretty cool too . I watched a bit of the Super F***ers and thought it was okay...

Is there a thread for all the cartoon hangover stuff? I really enjoyed Bravest Warriors and can't wait for the next season. Our Electrical Morals first episode was pretty decent and Rocketdog was pretty cool too . I watched a bit of the Super F***ers and thought it was okay...

There was a thread when it first started or was announced, but it's pretty old, and it may have just been for the announcement that BW was getting an online series. I think there's a Bravest Warriors OT too. I asked in the old CH thread if anyone wanted me to make an OT for it, since I know virtually everything about the program and a lot of the shorts being worked on for it, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest. I'm still more than willing to set up an OT for all their shows and shorts, though, if more people think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm still waiting for the Baxter episode to go up on VOD.

Are YT links bannable? Could have sworn episodes were posted in the past. I'll take one so my wife, son and I can finally watch it.

Saw it. I took it as you can't force good, genuine fun through mimicry. And there's no formulaic equation that'll make something replace or even compare to the original.

That's probably true as well, but there is very blatant mockery of focus testing while they're trying to make their own 'thing'.

Edit: I didn't actually know that James Baxter was a real person so I just looked him up, and his wiki actually has a blurb about the episode:

Very cool. I wonder if he's been at the Drink & Draws before and I just had no idea who he was. *bangs head against wall*
I wonder how it mirrors their relationship. Pen tried apeing Bax but ultimately realised you can't force something to stick? What is Baxter known for? *Checks despite asking...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Ohh awesome, no wonder the horse was so different.

Saw it. I took it as you can't force good, genuine fun through mimicry. And there's no formulaic equation that'll make something replace or even compare to the original.

I wonder how it mirrors their relationship. Pen tried apeing Bax but ultimately realised you can't force something to stick? What is Baxter known for? *Checks despite asking...

No, that part of the episode is about forced memes in Adventure Time and more likely Bravest Warriors, and all the focus testing that goes on with it. The James Baxter part of the episode was a tribute to the guy because Pen idolizes/looks up to/respects him so much.

No comment on today's episode?

Loved how the characters in the wall looked like they belonged in silent cartoons.

Also flying bikini babes.

Today's episode was awesome. I love it when they push it like this. The format of the show lets them do literally anything. Plus it was such a nice tribute :')

Clydefrog

Yeah yesterday's episode was all sorts of awesome! I kinda wished they had said nothing throughout the entire episode though.

the toast?

The episode was pretty great. The characters inside the wall were awesome and the animation overall was really good, mostly how expressive the two of them were while playing their game. The look on Finn's face while he was fighting off bikini babes while trying not to say anything was hilarious.

Pretty disappointed with this season so far. Today's episode was very out there but not in a good way.

Yeah I'm kinda in this boat as well. As I said with the last episode, maybe I just am getting lost on the subtext now. Maybe I just don't get it anymore.

I'd like to note at this point right here, I wrote the previous statement and then took a break for about 20 mins and really survey the landscape of what episodes actually aired in this current season.

I didn't particularly like this or the previous episode, but I am not going to say the season has been disappointing. This season has given us things like:

"Finn the Human (Part 2)"
"Jake the dog (Part 3)"
"Simon and Marcy"
"Vault of Bones"
"A Glitch is a glitch"
"Puhoy"

There are a lot of things to like about this season even if some of the really offbeat episodes kinda miss me sometimes.

Silkworm

The episode was pretty great. The characters inside the wall were awesome and the animation overall was really good, mostly how expressive the two of them were while playing their game. The look on Finn's face while he was fighting off bikini babes while trying not to say anything was hilarious.

Yeah I dug it :) It also had the Party God at the end, woo!

Though I was a bit bummed out when they dedicated it Armen Mirzaian. I didn't know he passed away recently in a car accident. RIP

Today's episode was awesome. I love it when they push it like this. The format of the show lets them do literally anything. Plus it was such a nice tribute :')

WordAssassin, as someone who is far closer to the creatives of this show than any of us will ever be: in your opinion, will the show be alright now that Rebecca Sugar has moved on? I know it already seems like forever ago that Sugar/Muto came to an end, but Sugar/Sanchez was pretty awesome too.

I'm happy for her, and I'm sure Steven Universe is going to be great, but dammit nobody ever even came close to contributing the lore of Adventure Time the way she and Adam Muto did. I wish Adam would at least go back to writing episodes.. :(

That was my son's favorite episode. He's 3. Now I didn't think he'd like it because of the lack of dialogue but when he asked for it today, he described it as the "writing one". Of course he likes it. His favorite thing in the friggin world is destroying the forest by writing his alphabet and numbers on every sheet of printer paper and notebook he finds.

iddqd

My ex-roommate boarded part of the upcoming episode, I'm exited!
(and the last one by Graham Falk was super fun)

That was a rather decent episode, me thinks.

Didn't know you could have bikini babes on a young kid's show though. But then again, this show is known for pushing the envelop and getting crap past the radar.

If you understood half the things Lady Rainicorn says in Korean...

WordAssassin, as someone who is far closer to the creatives of this show than any of us will ever be: in your opinion, will the show be alright now that Rebecca Sugar has moved on? I know it already seems like forever ago that Sugar/Muto came to an end, but Sugar/Sanchez was pretty awesome too.

I'm happy for her, and I'm sure Steven Universe is going to be great, but dammit nobody ever even came close to contributing the lore of Adventure Time the way she and Adam Muto did. I wish Adam would at least go back to writing episodes.. :(
I'm sure it'll be fine, the biggest change will probably be the lack of songs. Or, I mean, I'm sure there will still be songs, but her songs were always something else. But Pen is still in charge and Andy is still boarding and doing designs and I'm pretty sure Adam [Muto] still has a pretty big role too, I think he's second only to Pen? I'm not worried about the quality dropping off at all or the lore faltering, just bummed that her flavor won't be as strong. (Meaning that there will still be those 'feels' episodes but they won't have her particular brand of 'feels'.)

yeah, stuff they get away with almost reminds me of Ren & Stimpy

like what? now im all curious

In the "My Two Best Friends" episode when they're telling jokes, she asks Jake if he remembers the time they robbed a bank and ran someone over with a car.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I love it when they show the dark-side of Peppermint Butler.

EDIT: Jay T. Doggzone returns!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Damn, Peppermint Butler is freaky.

tDno5.png

Tuck

That ending. Wow.

PB kinda sucked in that episode though. Zero personality. I guess that was kind of the point, but I felt bad for Brocko.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Braco ;)

good episode last nite. At first I thought PB was making herself the perfect boyfriend by studying how needy Braco was being and doing the opposite, but then it flipped and it was sweet.

CorvoSol

Finn's comment about her was fuckin' master class. Sooo good.

It really was the most perfectly delivered line in the entire episode.

I kind of feel that PB's character development has gone nowhere but sour since the end of Finn x PB as a thing. Like, mostly now the show just depicts her as a heartless grown up who cares only about her work and nothing else. Some things have portrayed her as a downright tyrant (ordering the Flame King to lock up his daughter?).

She's still infinitely better than Fionna and Cake and their entire universe, though.

If you guys want to see some new stuff that might have similar taste profiles,
CN just added a couple of new shorts:

Here is the Rebecca Sugar one for example:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/cartoon-network-shorts/video/steven-universe-clip.html

They took them down now but Clarence, Steven Universe, and Lakewood Plaza TURBO are still on YouTube. Rebecca Sugar's pilot, Steven Universe, is going to be an actual series as will Clarence, which I did a board test for. Both are gonna be really, really great. CN is really cultivating the talents that Adventure Time and Regular Show has brought them (Steven Universe has I think 3 AT Alumni working on it, that I know of).

They took them down now but Clarence, Steven Universe, and Lakewood Plaza TURBO are still on YouTube. Rebecca Sugar's pilot, Steven Universe, is going to be an actual series as will Clarence, which I did a board test for. Both are gonna be really, really great. CN is really cultivating the talents that Adventure Time and Regular Show has brought them (Steven Universe has I think 3 AT Alumni working on it, that I know of).

i haven't seen Clarence and Lakewood Plaza TURBO yet, but if they're anything like that Steven Universe pilot then they're all destined to be the next Adventure Time!

It really was the most perfectly delivered line in the entire episode.

I kind of feel that PB's character development has gone nowhere but sour since the end of Finn x PB as a thing. Like, mostly now the show just depicts her as a heartless grown up who cares only about her work and nothing else. Some things have portrayed her as a downright tyrant (ordering the Flame King to lock up his daughter?).

She's still infinitely better than Fionna and Cake and their entire universe, though.

This. PB's character has gone nowhere good since the end of season 3. Flame Princes is slowly developing into a decent character, but I'll always miss Finn X PB.

I was able to find the Lakewood Plaza Turbo pilot on Daily Motion, but I haven't had any luck finding Clarence. Why did Cartoon Network take all the pilots down? Why are they such smelly dicks?

The Hermit

Wow, referencing pickup artists in an Adventure Time episode? And people say this show is only for kids...

yeah, it was subtle before, but the peacocking part made it all too explicit... and amazing.

Also, P. Butler still is one of my fav. characters on this show, almost as good as Jake's dad.

Wow, referencing pickup artists in an Adventure Time episode? And people say this show is only for kids...

What child would ever in a million years understand that joke? Also I don't think anyone has ever said this show is only for kids. This show is for everyone. :)

I was able to find the Lakewood Plaza Turbo pilot on Daily Motion, but I haven't had any luck finding Clarence. Why did Cartoon Network take all the pilots down? Why are they such smelly dicks?

Here you go!

What child would ever in a million years understand that joke? Also I don't think anyone has ever said this show is only for kids. This show is for everyone. :)

Here you go!

Thanks! :D

Edit: Oh man...that was so weird, slightly awkward, and funny. It was the perfect thing to watch at 2:30 AM. :)

All of these pilot are so incredible. I feel like with Adventure Time, and soon Clarence, Lakewood Plaza Turbo, and Steven Universe, Cartoon Network is entering into a new golden age of "cartoon" cartoons. Its like the old days all over again...just a bunch of weird, wacky, creator-driven shows. :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A sentient island.
A sentient island that dates the Party God.

I love this show so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom