• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the last episode I watched was the second to last episode of the 4th season. I have a lot to catchup on.

I just saw that fans got the show creators to make an episode about Marceline and Princess Bubblegum being in love. Oh my glob I already see enough of that fanfiction drawings on the internet, I don't need the show creators to feed into it.

The fandom didn't do jack, Pen (and specifically Rebecca Sugar, who wrote that episode) do what they want with the show. They didn't greenlight the Fionna and Cake episode because the fandom got big on the internet, they did it because Pen thought it was a cool idea. What Was Missing was about friendship and things that are dear to people, Rebecca wanted to hone in on that. She didn't write the episode to be "hurr hurr pander to the fans lookit me being controversial" and she was pretty shocked at all the backlash it got.

Also, the reason you see those drawings on the internet is because a lot of the time, it actually started from the show's creators. They aren't feeding it, they're the ones doing it for their own amusement.

It isn't really 'fanfiction' the relationship is pretty heavily alluded to in the doorlord episode.

Exactly. And as I said before, it wasn't exactly new to that episode or the series in general. They gender swap, have interracial relationships, trans-gender characters (Princess Cookie, who is a boy but wants to be a princess even though PB tells him 'no'), and the recent BMO episodes that have been calling his/her gender identity into question (and as we discussed above, BMO may actually have multiple gender identities).

I've actually been wondering what kind of reaction or backlash the most recent BMO episode will have, if any. BMO sounds like a girl, so a male character wanting to get married shouldn't raise any flags, but every character refers to BMO as a guy, and BMO refers to himself as a guy, soooooo...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The fandom didn't do jack, Pen (and specifically Rebecca Sugar, who wrote that episode) do what they want with the show. They didn't greenlight the Fionna and Cake episode because the fandom got big on the internet, they did it because Pen thought it was a cool idea. What Was Missing was about friendship and things that are dear to people, Rebecca wanted to hone in on that. She didn't write the episode to be "hurr hurr pander to the fans lookit me being controversial" and she was pretty shocked at all the backlash it got.

Also, the reason you see those drawings on the internet is because a lot of the time, it actually started from the show's creators. They aren't feeding it, they're the ones doing it for their own amusement.

I haven't even seen the episode per what I said earlier. I read this

The episode "What Was Missing" became controversial because of an allegedly implied past relationship between Marceline and Princess Bubblegum. The controversy largely began after an accompanying "Mathematical" recap—a studio-endorsed behind the scenes video series implied that there were lesbian relations between Princess Bubblegum and Marceline and that the writing staff actively seeks input from fans.This incident was addressed by the show's producer, Fred Seibert, who said that "in trying to get the show’s audience involved we got wrapped up by both fan conjecture and spicy fanart and went a little too far."

that the writing staff actively seeks input from fans

This incident was addressed by the show's producer, Fred Seibert, who said that "in trying to get the show’s audience involved we got wrapped up by both fan conjecture and spicy fanart and went a little too far

That sounds like they are taking a lot of input from fans.

I haven't even seen the episode per what I said earlier. I read this

That sounds like they are taking a lot of input from fans.

If you're at the end of Season 4, you have seen the episode (unless you skipped it by mistake), because it's from the middle of Season 3.

Also yes I am well aware of what the PR statement from the event says, but personally knowing the people the make the show, I can tell you that they don't let input from fans dictate what they do. I was with them the week after the episode aired, I sat next to Natasha as she talked with Rebecca about it, so I'm not trying to sound like an know-it-all asshole (and I'm sorry if I'm coming off that way) but I'm pretty familiar with what happened behind the scenes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you're at the end of Season 4, you have seen the episode (unless you skipped it by mistake), because it's from the middle of Season 3.

Also yes I am well aware of what the PR statement from the event says, but personally knowing the people the make the show, I can tell you that they don't let input from fans dictate what they do. I was with them the week after the episode aired, I sat next to Natasha as she talked with Rebecca about it, so I'm not trying to sound like an know-it-all asshole (and I'm sorry if I'm coming off that way) but I'm pretty familiar with what happened behind the scenes.
Oh it was that episode? That didn't even seem like it had any overtones at all between those two. Woooooooooow. I thought it was an episode I missed that was overt.

Oh it was that episode? That didn't even seem like it had any overtones at all between those two. Woooooooooow. I thought it was an episode I missed that was overt.

Nope, that's the whole ordeal, it was a MASSIVE overreaction. Rebecca wrote something heartfelt and innocent, and the dude who did the YouTube videos was like "HEY FANS WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PB AND MARCY BEING LESBOS!??!!!" and parents just flipped the fuck out.

I think we're missing an over-arching story in the plot as of late. Don't get me wrong, I love the one off episodes too, but should an AT movie be in the works, I'm not getting any sense of conflict on a grand scale... unless they are ever so slightly building up to it.

I just want to see a feature length film with a made for theatres budget as opposed to a 4 eposodes in one 1-hour special. And for that, I want a developed antagonist from the series that concludes on film.

I think we're missing an over-arching story in the plot as of late. Don't get me wrong, I love the one off episodes too, but should an AT movie be in the works, I'm not getting any sense of conflict on a grand scale... unless they are ever so slightly building up to it.

I just want to see a feature length film with a made for theatres budget as opposed to a 4 eposodes in one 1-hour special. And for that, I want a developed antagonist from the series that concludes on film.

I don't know that they would ever do that, because it would alienate anyone who hasn't watched the series. The movie would/will likely be its own thing - canon, but not something the series leads up to. (Though they could pull a Rugrats: The Movie and do just that).

The movie is happening, though. It's not an if, it's a when. Pen wrote it, and it was going to be the Season 5 finale until something happened and they delayed it and grabbed Season 6 episodes to fill the blanks (S6 is unconfirmed but that's where they came from). So either it's going to be a TV event, or it'll be direct-to-DVD, or they may actually go theatrical with it. I really doubt the last one but I've been shockingly wrong before (I still cannot believe CN actually sprang for BluRay releases of the first two seasons, that absolutely blows my mind.)

I don't know that they would ever do that, because it would alienate anyone who hasn't watched the series. The movie would/will likely be its own thing - canon, but not something the series leads up to. (Though they could pull a Rugrats: The Movie and do just that).

The movie is happening, though. It's not an if, it's a when. Pen wrote it, and it was going to be the Season 5 finale until something happened and they delayed it and grabbed Season 6 episodes to fill the blanks (S6 is unconfirmed but that's where they came from). So either it's going to be a TV event, or it'll be direct-to-DVD, or they may actually go theatrical with it. I really doubt the last one but I've been shockingly wrong before (I still cannot believe CN actually sprang for BluRay releases of the first two seasons, that absolutely blows my mind.)
I know you've mentioned the movie is happening. The movie will surely already feature existing plot pieces and characters obviously, but I'm just surprised they haven't introduced an antagonist/conflict to build up and go all out with a movie. If the film had to cater to everyone who hasn't watched the series, imagine the wtfs from potential sightings of side characters and mentions of the cosmic owl and graybles as if they should know them.

If anything, a new villain and over arching plot would have more weight than retreading the Lich or introducing one just for the movie. But again, they may be subtly doing so with the multi-verse concept and potential consequences of leaping between worlds. (That montrosity didn't look pleased when Finn came back from pillow world)

W_Dreamer

Exactly. You either see it or you dont. There isn't anything definitive on the subject.

So behind the scenes, does Rebecca ever say she is implying lesbian overtones between the two?

As you said:
What Was Missing was about friendship and things that are dear to people, Rebecca wanted to hone in on that. She didn't write the episode to be "hurr hurr pander to the fans lookit me being controversial" and she was pretty shocked at all the backlash it got.

The backlash was about fans interpreting the relationship as lesbian and the idea being explicitly said on a seemingly creator-supported show...which created the controversy.

But their lesbian relationship was never stated officially by the creators before or after it was mentioned on Mathematical. Mathematical mentioned fan ideas (lesbian relationship), but was this direction ever mentioned "behind the scenes" by the writer herself?

So behind the scenes, does Rebecca ever say she is implying lesbian overtones between the two?

As you said:

The backlash was about fans interpreting the relationship as lesbian and the idea being explicitly said on a seemingly creator-supported show...which created the controversy.

But their lesbian relationship was never stated officially by the creators before or after it was mentioned on Mathematical. Mathematical mentioned fan ideas (lesbian relationship). Was this direction ever mentioned "behind the scenes" by the writer herself?

I've never spoken directly to Rebecca about it, and it was two years ago so I don't remember every detail of her conversation with Natasha, but I'm fairly certain that Rebecca's intentions were pure. As for other writers, or what the Series Bible says about their relationship, I don't know.
I do know that before WWM, though, there was a certain tone to their banter that made people think there was more to the picture than was being told. Rebecca then wrote WWM, since she used to do all the big musical numbers for the show, and she wanted it to be a very honest look at how each of the characters felt about each other, and how they felt each other viewed them.
I think she said she didn't plan to make anything overt, and she wanted to kind of leave it open to interpretation, but her main goal was to show that PB and Marcy used to be, at the very least, closer friends and that things had fallen out between them and that was a problem for the two. She didn't mean to explicitly imply they were lesbians, but she did want to show they had a past relationship.

Then Mathmatical! got waaay overzealous and was like "Whoa those were some deep emotions last night what do you guys think WERE THEY LOVERS?" and just put the whole thing on blast. But as far as Rebecca's intentions, from what I remember, she wanted it to just be innocent and honest and open to the viewer. Pen's intentions, or the other writers, who knows. They all sneak sooooo much shit in there it's hard to tell.

Another example of something like this happening is the recent Fionna and Cake comic that Natasha is doing. In one sequence, Fionna is looking at a wall of swords to decide what weapon to use. There are a bunch of them, and they're all joke swords, like one made from kitty litter. One of the swords was a double-ended sword - Natasha's line of thinking was, "Heh, this is hilarious, it's a sword that has blades on both ends, so she can't actually hold it!" but The Internet saw it and went "WHOA DOUBLE-ENDED DILDO JOKE WHAAAAT" and Natasha was just like "Wh..what the fuck!?"

Hahaha today's episode was great. Really simple but still a lot of fun.

And goddamn that gag with the princess at the very beginning of the episode, hahahaha wooooow

Kuroyume

Banned
250px-Embryo_Princess.png

EMBRYO PRINCESS

Odoul

They can really make some bad episodes when they put their minds to it.

A couple of funny parts like shitting up the funeral and chasing the little girl, but...

I actually wouldn't mind if AT and RS wrapped up relatively soon. It feels like both have blown their load in the recent past and are just spinning their wheels.

FillerB

The "look at how messed up in the circuits B-MO is"-gag really is starting to grate. It was funny at first but it feels like we've been getting too much of it lately.

I actually wouldn't mind if AT and RS wrapped up relatively soon. It feels like both have blown their load in the recent past and are just spinning their wheels.

I can see your point and I do think that AT has been of a bit of a decline lately but to wrap it all up? Would rather have them try to find a new direction to take the show.

They can really make some bad episodes when they put their minds to it.

A couple of funny parts like shitting up the funeral and chasing the little girl, but...

Yeah this episode was pretty shitty but the ones before it were simply amazing.

Am I the only one who liked it? I liked that it was crazy and all over the place, the sound studio was awesome and the bad guy at the end was random and cool. Plus jaaaaaaames bahhhxter.

IrishNinja

damn, i think i missed like half the season...got some catching up to do! how much is left (assuming it's not over)?

damn, i think i missed like half the season...got some catching up to do! how much is left (assuming it's not over)?

Seven more 11-minute episodes left. Season 6 hasn't been confirmed officially yet, but even if there isn't one (there will be) there's still the Adventure Time movie coming.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Am I the only one who liked it? I liked that it was crazy and all over the place, the sound studio was awesome and the bad guy at the end was random and cool. Plus jaaaaaaames bahhhxter.
I loved it- thought it was brilliant. I dont care if the episode was a horse on a beachball.

Liked the "bro-project" scenes as well too actually. Good episode.

The James Baxter episode was alright but I felt like it was trying to force a meme. Yeah it's surely just reading between the lines but it felt like the kind of thing that gets reinforced over and over and over until people say:

"Yeah man, James Baxter is cool!"

and then they can put it on a t-shirt in Hot Topic.

The James Baxter episode was alright but I felt like it was trying to force a meme. Yeah it's surely just reading between the lines but it felt like the kind of thing that gets reinforced over and over and over until people say:

"Yeah man, James Baxter is cool!"

and then they can put it on a t-shirt in Hot Topic.

That was sorta the whole point of the episode. I mean, I don't doubt that they'll eventually make a shirt, but Finn & Jake's arc through the episode is them trying to ape JB's style and force their own version of it on everyone.

That was sorta the whole point of the episode. I mean, I don't doubt that they'll eventually make a shirt, but Finn & Jake's arc through the episode is them trying to ape JB's style and force their own version of it on everyone.

I guess I don't know what to say then outside of "they got me".

Mesoian

When they start focus testing is when I started laughing, and when the joke was over.

It was cute because I work in marketing and I've seen people trying to do EXACTLY THIS on a large scale.

A lot of Pen's (and the rest of the crew for that matter) personal life gets turned into AT episodes so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is his take on the merchandising/focus testing that happens for AT products.

blamite

A lot of Pen's (and the rest of the crew for that matter) personal life gets turned into AT episodes so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is his take on the merchandising/focus testing that happens for AT products.

Considering the fact that Bravest Warriors is basically a sentient marketing campaign based entirely around forced memes I'd say your assessment is accurate.

Mesoian

Considering the fact that Bravest Warriors is basically a sentient marketing campaign based entirely around forced memes I'd say your assessment is accurate.

The trick is that most of those memes are dangerously effective. I wonder how Cartoon Hangover is doing knowing that the single biggest draw to their service won't have anything new for at least 6 months.

The trick is that most of those memes are dangerously effective. I wonder how Cartoon Hangover is doing knowing that the single biggest draw to their service won't have anything new for at least 6 months.

It's doing quite well, and they're going to get another boost as soon as the first half of Natasha's Bee & Puppycat comes back from overseas and airs. Plus they have a buttload of other great shorts in the pipeline to fill in the gaps (Rocket Dog just premiered, which I adore). Maybe some day I'll finish my damn pitch board and go meet with Eric again to get my short made too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom