• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 5 |OT| Welcome to the Multiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it to start from the start, it seems like the show has tons of adult undertones, is this something I have to check out, and is it on Netflix?

Season 1 is on Netflix,which includes the origin episode of Ricardio the Heart Guy (voiced by George Takei if you didn't pick it up).Starting from the beginning may be for the best. Although the narrative of the show isn't completely continuous they will reference back to stuff here and there.

Kuroyume

Banned
Great episode. Love when the show gets dark with the occult like stuff. That dog girl character was also pretty damn great. And, I love Kee-Oth. Such a great character lol.

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised this show was so open about having a priest and holy water. Normally kids shows would frown on these types of religious references.

Personally I think the most controversial thing about this episode was lil' buddy. Even that name.

Silkworm

Woo, Marina Sirtis, aka Counselor Deanna Troi, doing the voice work for Samantha. Oh Jake, you better not get ideas on messing up your relationship with Lady Rainicorn. I think he held Jay T. Doggzone inside but he didn't exactly try to get away from Samantha as she pointed out ;-)

Silkworm

Adventure Time: Making the sex tape jokes other kids' shows won't.

Also

Eventually the show will feature the entire cast of ST: TNG, right?

Edit: Rough translation of Lady Rainicorn's dialog from that episode.

I know we've gotten Riker, Worf, and now Dianna. Has Picard shown up yet? What about Geordi or Data?

Edit: BTW, I enjoyed the recent episode of Steven Universe, "Frybo". I don't know, there's just something about Steven's innocence/naivete that I find endearing about the show :)

Odoul

The Demon is one of the best characters this show has ever come up with.

His voice combined with his lines...everything he said was gold.

Raxus

Finale should be...interesting to say the least.

Is Bubblegum a bad guy?

Also, there is something hilarious and heartbreaking at Finn's proclamation 'I still love Flame Princess' at the end.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know we've gotten Riker, Worf, and now Dianna. Has Picard shown up yet? What about Geordi or Data?

Edit: BTW, I enjoyed the recent episode of Steven Universe, "Frybo". I don't know, there's just something about Steven's innocence/naivete that I find endearing about the show :)

Levar Burton was Bubble in "BMO Lost".
Not sure about Brent Spiner. But a Patrick Stewart episode would have to be a major one (maybe he could play one of Finn's relatives).

MartyStu

Finale should be...interesting to say the least.

Is Bubblegum a bad guy?

Also, there is something hilarious and heartbreaking at Finn's proclamation 'I still love Flame Princess' at the end.

Wait, did I miss something? That spoiler implies something I do not think I have picked up on...

Silkworm

Levar Burton was Bubble in "BMO Lost".
Not sure about Brent Spiner. But a Patrick Stewart episode would have to be a major one (maybe he could play one of Finn's relatives).

Ah, hah! I figured LeVar must have been on the show at some point since he's done his fair share of voice acting. Thanks for the confirmation :)

Seeing another dog character with those...proportions was weird.

Would Jake even be attracted to that?

Jake finds Lady Rainicorn attractive so I'm not sure he's too hung upon on appearances. I figured Samantha might actually be a demon in dog's clothing, but maybe that's just over-thinking things.

I'm surprised this show was so open about having a priest and holy water. Normally kids shows would frown on these types of religious references.
The longer you're on air the more you can get away with. When Adventure Time started they weren't allowed to say the word "demon".

I know you have an in of sorts at AT...do you by anychance have a high quality collection of all the title cards? I had some for the first season and they make a great changing wallpaper

Don't need an in for that biz dude! Frederator has your back on that, they have a huge imgur gallery of them (I use them as rotating backgrounds on my iMac).

But that show was awful.

url-17.gif

The Hermit

That's the exact reason, Season 5 was going to end with a 'movie' of sorts but it got pushed back for ~unknown reasons~ and Season 5 was extended instead. Frederator posted about it a while ago too, they put up an episode list and there was a gap in the numbering so they mentioned the special had been delayed. It's been forever since I last heard anything about it though so I have no clue what the status of it is.

Yeah, Season 5 feels like the Multiverse in its infinity.

Will they ever update that with season 5 title cards? I've been running these as my screensaver for like 9 months. I'd love to add the new ones.

I wish I knew, I'm wondering if they've just been too busy with other Frederator stuff (Cartoon Hangover shorts, Bee & PuppyCat kickstarter) recently to do it.

Crocodile

If the show actually does something with the ending of this episode I'll both be impressed and pleased. I don't know why but the very isolated nature of most of the episodes this season has been kind of irking me. I REALLY want some more continuity (I really appreciated the past two episodes about the Demon Sword for that reason).

Can't say I'm too broken up over what happened to James since the character was so obnoxious but self-sacrifice in this sense is a theme too often ignored by cartoons even if it was slightly cheapened by how easy James is to replace. I will take that back though if they actually do something interesting with zombie James.

TheOGB

Banned
If the show actually does something with the ending of this episode I'll both be impressed and pleased.
There is absolutely no way they're gonna leave that hanging.

Nice little bit at the end of the episode.

So Andy Merrill was James. You probably know him as Brak from Space Ghost Coast to Coast
I was thinking through the whole episode that his VA was going to make perfect sense. I was right.

Nice little bit at the end of the episode.

So Andy Merrill was James. You probably know him as Brak from Space Ghost Coast to Coast

It took me a second to place the voice, but once I did, I was totally down with James, no matter how annoying he was.

Such a fun episode, and I'm looking forward to where they take PB's character from here.

Odoul

"I got five kids! I thought I'd outlive at least one of em!"

Jake is just such a natural dirtbag sometimes, I love it.

Tuck

That was a shockingly dark episode. With some great references to the mythology. And a cliffhanger!

If the show actually does something with the ending of this episode I'll both be impressed and pleased. I don't know why but the very isolated nature of most of the episodes this season has been kind of irking me. I REALLY want some more continuity (I really appreciated the past two episodes about the Demon Sword for that reason).

Can't say I'm too broken up over what happened to James since the character was so obnoxious but self-sacrifice in this sense is a theme too often ignored by cartoons even if it was slightly cheapened by how easy James is to replace. I will take that back though if they actually do something interesting with zombie James.

Isolated? The episodes this season have become increasingly more serial in nature. And they would not have put that scene in if they didn't plan on continuing the story. Adventure Time has a ton of long-running plots.

TheOGB

Banned
- The zombies in this episode are the same ones roaming the Earth in Simon & Marcy--not long after the Mushroom War.
- PB says that these creatures are from another time, again referring to the world before Ooo. As she says this though, she looks around kinda nervously. Are they hinting that she's familiar with them?
Yes
We know she's a LOT older than 19. Remember that pink ooze with the face in Simon & Marcy?
- Zombie James comes out of the crater groaning "Princess..." which probably means he's going to go find her. A bunch of zombies crawled up out of the crater following him. Intentionally or not, he's leading a horde of zombies right to the Candy Kingdom. Shit is about to go DOWN. It might not be next week, or the following week, or the week after that, but it's gonna happen.

But now the thing on my mind, as well as Finn's and Jake's, is: What's up with PB? She's been up to a lot of weird shit lately, gathering an awful lot of... stuff. Resources, samples... What's her game? Is she gearing up for something?
WHAT THE HELL IS MAJA THE SKY WITCH SCHEMING?!

But now the thing on my mind, as well as Finn's and Jake's, is: What's up with PB? She's been up to a lot of weird shit lately, gathering an awful lot of... stuff. Resources, samples... What's her game? Is she gearing up for something?

She says in this very episode that she wants to expand the Candy Kingdom.

NEO0MJ

It's becoming easier with each episode to hate PB more and more. She better do something to redeem herself later. Or at least explain in detail why she's been acting crazy lately.

I just remembered that, in the very first episode, PB was already able to resurrect dead candy people.
I'm starting to think that they are leading us to believe that PBG is the big bad only to pull a shamalayan on us and reveal the real evil she is preparing herself to fight.

Sadsic

- The zombies in this episode are the same ones roaming the Earth in Simon & Marcy--not long after the Mushroom War.
- PB says that these creatures are from another time, again referring to the world before Ooo. As she says this though, she looks around kinda nervously. Are they hinting that she's familiar with them?
Yes
We know she's a LOT older than 19. Remember that pink ooze with the face in Simon & Marcy?
- Zombie James comes out of the crater groaning "Princess..." which probably means he's going to go find her. A bunch of zombies crawled up out of the crater following him. Intentionally or not, he's leading a horde of zombies right to the Candy Kingdom. Shit is about to go DOWN. It might not be next week, or the following week, or the week after that, but it's gonna happen.

the newest 3DS game confirms that
the goo from the Simon & Marcy episode is/are PB's parents. Also canon because it was written by Pen Ward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom